Love Child No. 2 - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Love Child No. 2Love Child No. 2

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.60% ABV

Boulevard's Love Child Series of "wild" ales are barrel-aged with such boisterous cultures as Lactobaccillus and Brettanomyces. These wayward offspring can prove so complex that we employ gauges on the label to convey the intensity of three key personality traits, Funk, Sour, and Fruit, presenting a picture of the ale at the time it was released. It will change as it ages, but don't we all?

Sour characteristics come to the fore in this release, foreshadowed by the tart, winey aroma. Notes of cherry, chocolate, olive brine, and leather give way to a subtle hint of funk and a dry, clean finish.

(Beer added by: AmericanGothic on 06-10-2012)
Reviews by will1256:

will1256, Apr 20, 2013

jono0101, May 18, 2013

gregmoscetti, Feb 10, 2013

Jason, Sep 30, 2013
4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Chimay Chalice

Appearance: minimal head, hazy, dark red/brown in color, low carbonation

Smell: sour mix and light fruit

Taste: cherry, oak, sour mix, and light cranberry

Mouthfeel: sweet and sour, medium-light bodied, medium carbonation but very prickly

Overall: Great sour cherry taste that has complexity with other fruit flavors. Right up there with the best domestic sours. Sour but not mouth puckering and vinegary. A bit pricey, but if I wanted an american wild ale, this would be one I would turn to.

tigg924, May 28, 2013

Very excited to try this beer.

The beer pours a hazy amber color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of tart dark fruit, as well as some nice cherry notes which are complimented by some brett funk and some oak from the barrel aging. The flavor is a little more complex. I get quite a bit of tobacco and leather, as well as some cherry and dark fruit notes, as well as some caramel and toffee. The sourness is low to medium, but really adds a lot to the beer. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. A nice sour, glad I got to try it.

Mora2000, Jun 23, 2012

burninggoat, May 30, 2013

Skye1024, Jul 28, 2012

jaminjohnson, Jul 26, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Love Child No. 2 opens with a bright, lemon-citrus aroma, tinged with touches of funky fermented apple cider sourness, yeasty baguette, marble rye bread, and pepper. Deep beneath is a good bed of sweet brown sugars, orange and white grape fruit esters, and vanilla cola, but this is difficult to locate against the sour funk. Light touches of wood filter through, but there is nowhere near the heavy bourbon aromas noted in many barrel-aged brews. As a whole, the nose is certainly intriguing, but the sour funk takes a bit of getting used to, and is certainly an initial shock. However, the aromas as a whole are very potent, and even nicely nuanced, once the nose becomes accustomed.

On the tongue, the beer is immediately sour and funky, the initial mouthful tasting very much like apple cider left out slightly too long on a hot table and so partially fermented, cut with apple cider vinegar. I suspect there are people who, because of this initial blast, will assume the beer has gone bad. Get past that perception, however, and there are additional layers of flavor, including strong lemon and lime, baguette, toast crust, and touches of orange and berry, as well as light brown sugars and vanilla, and shades of merlot wine. Admittedly, these secondary characteristics are hard to find, since the initial sour, funky notes take up a good 90% of the flavor profile, and similarly dominate the aftertaste, which lingers for a long time. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is certainly one of the more unique beers on the market, and has been crafted by someone who is not only an excellent brewer, but also apparently rather sadistic--like the kid in high school who took pleasure in getting unsuspecting girls to eat sour blast candies. This is not a negative criticism, however, because the result is a beer that is incredibly flavorful, and if you can take it, quite delicious.

jondeelee, Jul 03, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for opening this with me, Tim!

Nearly clear dark amber with dark orange edges along with a small khaki-coloread head of small bubbles. Leaves the glass somewhat messy with irregular spiderwebs of lace left down the glass.

Sweet aroma of caramels and toffees along with big notes of sour cherries, oak, and sweet, vanilla-forward bourbon. Very nice.

The flavor is delicious, unique and complex. Big notes of sour cherry and oak lead the way, falling away to an incredibe, lingering, sweet vanilla bourbon note. Incredibly drinkable, and the alcohol is hidden exceptionally well, though something about this beer lets me know it's no slouch in ABV.

Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation.

A very nice, bourbon-forward, sweet, American cherry sour.

ehammond1, Dec 11, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Nice rich red appearance, very thin head on it, disappeared into almost nothing in a very quicklike manner. Aroma, definitely delivered on the sour cherry aspect of the beer, you smell some virgin barrel as well, enjoyable.

Taste, wow, this is similar to Supplication. That's a good thing. Continue on, you get mild leather notes. I'm impressed. The sour and tart aspect is appropriate. Its not as puckering as balaton or schaerbeekse cherries, but they're doing the trick. Look for vanilla and I'm sure you can find it, its far from in your face.

I'm very impressed with how well this hides the alcohol. Extremely impressed. No vinegar notes, finishes pretty dry. I'd pay $20 for another bottle. . . shit we paid $42 to drink it at Falling Rock taphouse, wouldn't do that again, but would buy it at a retail place for half that price.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 23, 2012

acurtis, Nov 05, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Arherring, Jan 28, 2014
4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

#BOTG 77! A new limited release from Boulevard, I have loved all the smokestack series beers, really looking forward to this one. Corked and caged bottle, $20 for 750ml. Popped cork, poured into 512 Anniversary glass. A cloudy raspberry brown cloudy pour, a little bit of creamy head on top. Not much, maybe 1/2 a finger. Smell- musty sour cherries, cherry pie filling, strawberry, honey, little barnyard mustyness. My tasting buddy said "like I'm riding a horse through a field of strawberries". I like that, pretty accurate. Peach syrup, apricot as well. This is super fruity on the nose, just a lot going on. Taste- Sour cherries, pie filling, super sour on the sides of my mouth. I get absolutely no bourbon barrel, which surprises me. The sour turns almost salty on the end. Strawberry syrup, tight carbonation makes for a dry finish. It's got some sour patch kid candy taste to it as well. tart, sour cherry. A little buttery finish to the cherry. This one is funky, sour, and pretty well balanced. The fruit element makes it really enjoyable. Way better than I expected, and I'm really glad to have grabbed this one. If you can get some Houston, get it. Good stuff.

lnashsig, Jun 29, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Believe it or not, the local Price Chopper had this beer in stock, albeit for just a few pennies less than $19 a bottle. I tried it and here's my thoughts....batch 2012-2, 03-20I4

A Poured forcefully into a tulip glass. Nice head, with lace remaining. Reddish-amber in color.

S This beer's nose is incredible. Fruity (lemon and cherry) beyond belief. I sniffed for 5 minutes. The wife thought I'd lost my mind. The brett funkiness is awesome.

T Tastes fairly sour upon first sip, then the taste begins to grow and the sweetness comes out. Second sip, the sour graduates and it begins to get sweet. Let it sit on your palate for a few more seconds and then take another sip. It gets sweeter and sweeter, just like a cherry pie.

M Lightly carbonated, not fizzy at all.

O One of the best beers I've had in quite a while. I had a couple of bottles of Boulevard's Brett Saison and they were good quality, but this one's better. Boulevard, you've outpaced yourself. Dump the Chocolate ale and produce this one year-round.

yankeeairpirate, Jul 01, 2012

Indytruks138, Aug 15, 2013

alamode, Jan 05, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

750ml bottle, split, hill farmstead stemware

Chestnut brown body - not much in the way of head or carbonation. Immediate comparisons to La Folie - really tart and palate twisting, notes of vinegar, tart cherry, wood, bourbon, leather, toffee. Pretty intense stuff - boulevard comes through with another solid smokestack beer. That series of releases is about as consistent as it gets in my opinion.

dirtylou, Feb 02, 2013

leschkie, Jul 12, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

For a while, I was wondering if I was loving every smokestack beer just because it came from my hometown heroes.

Well, I suppose you can't hit a home run every time.

This wasn't a cheap beer. ($17 a bottle was the lowest I ever spotted) For good reason. It was created with blended beers as old as four years and they didn't release a lot of bottles (although I never heard the specific count.)

I uncorked it (750ml) and poured it into a tulip.

Now maybe it's because I haven't had much exposure with sour beers, but I was relieved to read others say that the flavor direction of this beer seems to be lacking a compass. I must agree emphatically with that observation.

Aside from a bit of barrel aging and sour, it felt like a psychedelic hodgepodge of flavors. You know how you ask a person their opinion about something and they say, "It's interesting." and then you know damn well they were a little let down? Yeah, that was me.

The mouthfeel in particular felt like, I kid you not, flat soda?

I don't want to rag on this brew too much because there were a lot of other things I did enjoy. The smell was great, the appearance handsome in color. But the taste didn't have me running back to the store when I was told they had more in stock.

Let's try that Saison-Brett from Boulevard instead and see what that holds...

Chirpie, Jul 21, 2012
Love Child No. 2 from Boulevard Brewing Co.