Reverb Imperial Pilsner - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Reverb Imperial PilsnerReverb Imperial Pilsner

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Reaper16 on 08-18-2012

With its classic recipe and impeccable craftsmanship, this summer seasonal is a study in delicately balanced contrasts. Up front, Pilsner malt makes a clear yet restrained statement, answered by the steady, harmonious hum of Saaz hops, traces of which linger in the dry, crisp finish.

Reviews by Stoutfan23DJ:

Poured into a tall lager glass at 45 Degrees, Batch #1 of 2012.

Appearance: Pours a clean golden gold body with a white one finger head that dissipates into a ring around the glass and moderate carbonation. A classic looking pilsner.

Aroma: Sharp, toasty pilsner malts, lemongrass, lemon, mild floral hops, dried rice, and that astringency of flavors directly to the nose.

Taste: Right off the bat I get a lot of malt. The grain/malt bill is the star attraction here from beginning to end. The bitter/floral hops are there but very subtle here and I was a little letdown that they weren’t showcased along with the malts. I also get characteristics of wheat, lemon, herbs, corn and rice, a buttery flavor, and that astringency/funk that all pilsners seem to have. I have to state that when I started getting down to the bottom of the bottle, the beer started to change a bit, and the flavors (especially the hops) became a lot more prominent. I enjoyed this the most when I got to the second half of this bottle.

Mouth Feel: Very clean, crisp, refreshing, and very drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden, and the body and carbonation is moderate.

Overall: Pilsners are not one of my favorite styles of beer and I rarely stop and buy them at bottle shops. I have to say that this would be best to have on a hot day sitting on the back porch barbequing and sharing with friends. I did enjoy this, especially when I got to the second half of the 750mL bottle. It was nice to have a hand-crafted pilsner for a change brewed with quality ingredients. This is definitely a giant step over all the other massively produced adjunct brews available out there. I’m a real big fan of Boulevard’s line of Smokestack series beers and I when I heard that they were going to make an imperial pilsner I realized that I haven’t had a craft brewed pilsner yet and I just had to purchase a bottle and give it a chance. This beer was well crafted and moderately well-balanced, and if you a fan of pilsners, I would recommend picking this up while it’s sticking around and still fresh.

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #69 (October 2012):

One hop, one malt … Saaz & Pilsner respectively, a lot of noise on the palate from those two. Very rich with a lot going on as the complexities open up. Very drinkable, we had to remind ourselves at first that this is a 7.7%abv brew. Perfect for anyone wanting to taste a Saaz only beer, hoppy enough to satisfy a weathered hophead.

STYLE: Imperial Pilsner
ABV: 7.7%
AVAILABILITY: Seasonal

LOOK: Bright yellow, dense foam, glass stickage

SMELL: Floral, faint lemon zest, fresh grass, crackers, spicy, clean, mildly yeasty, peppery, faint alcohol

TASTE: Deep crispness, dried grass, bready, nutty, yeasty, peppery, balanced hop bitterness, goaty, vegtal, very malty, herbal, spicy hops, warming alcohol, very dry finish

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured into a pint glass at Driftwood Tavern--Plymouth

Appearance: minimal head, high carbonation, gold in color, clear

Smell: grass, grain, and toasted malt

Taste: grass, light honey, some grain, and a decent hop in the middle

Mouthfeel: light body, sweet with a bitter middle, medium carbonation

Overall: I generally do not like this style but like Boulevard so I figured I would give this a try. The problem I have with most versions of the style is that the way breweries imperialize pilsners is by adding massive amounts of hops or alcohol. When that happens, the grassiness and some of the refreshing qualities I like about regular pilsners get taken away. Boulevard is the first brewery I have tasted that still has a lot of the pilsner taste I like in their imperial version. The alcohol is upped, but I do not feel like I am choking on it. This is a very good beer and one I will get again. If I was not grading to style, it is probably closer to a 4, but it blows away every other example I have had in the style.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy straw under a fine 1” bone white head that slowly dissipates to a thick film that produces good lace. Spicy nose with light grains. Bread and grainy malt lead the palate to a drying, crisp finish with a touch of tartness. Medium body and medium to medium high carbonation. Full flavored but well balanced with a pleasant bitter hop accent on the finish.

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bomber bottle into a small snifter, this pours a hazy light gold/straw color topped by a moderately durable head and average (at best) lacing.

Light body; crisp; medium-high carbonation.

This imp. pilsner is stronger and more yeasty than your everyday pilsner, but retains the malty base, Saaz hops and dry, crisp finish. Higher ABV is partially hidden.

4.28/5  rDev +14.4%

Batch 2012-1
(Served in a teku)

A- The clear dandelion yellow body has a slow carbonation with a thick bubbly snow white head. The second pour is full on hazy.

S- Herbal Noble hops have a cream aroma to them and are full but very mellow.

T- The big pils malt has a slight sweetness to it that adds to the freshness taste followed by a mellow green Noble hops with a soft dry field corn note in the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has a great full flavor of Pils malt with just a hint of sweetness to make it fresh and nice full rounded hops without becoming bitey and no sulfur harshness either.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Poured into a Boulevard tulip, this is one good looking beer! Rich, golden hue with a thick, porous white head. Miles of carbonation but hardly any head retention. Incredibly clear body.

Aroma:
Thick and nicely spiced. Grains and crackers. Pepper and other earthy spices. Smooth malt. Notes of honey.

Taste:
Follows the nose... Bitterness is up front. Plenty of spicing and noticeable alcohol at the end warms things up.

Mouthfeel:
Plenty of alcohol and carbonation. Heavier body than expected. Dry finish.

Overall:
I was surprised by this one... I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I walked away happy I picked this one up. Aside from the warming bite of alcohol's presence, everything else highly enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Reverb Imperial Pilsner from Boulevard Brewing Co.