Pop-Up Session I.P.A. - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Pop-Up Session I.P.A.Pop-Up Session I.P.A.

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Beer added by: LambicPentameter on 07-28-2013

As a brewing team, we sought to make an India Pale Ale that showcased assertive hop flavor and aroma while maintaining a thirst-quenching drinkability by balancing the bitterness with a slight caramel malt character. A blend of our base pale, Marris Otter, and amber malts creates a simple, yet adequate malt backbone that allows Mosaic, Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial hops to shine with bright, fruity, citrus notes. At 4.2% ABV and 41 IBUs, Pop-Up I.P.A. is a full flavored beer that’s suitable for all-day drinking.
to view more.
Ratings: 532 | Reviews: 87
3.37/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Average IPA to me. nothing special. Not a bad beer. Enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Good light beer! Smooth tasty!

2.77/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was an ok sessian beer not real hoppy. I have had other Boulevard brews which I enjoyed but this is not one of them.

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

A little cloudy. Does not taste like 41 IBUs.

Nice all-around session beer.

3.12/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy dark straw in color. Astringent nose. The flavor profile is pretty bland and it is not even terribly hoppy.

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Pours relatively clear and golden in color with a slightly off-white, rocky two finger head. Great retention. eventually settling to a fair layer of surface suds.

Smell - Fruity, citrusy, lemon-like hop aroma with grainy malts taking up the backend of the smell.

Taste - Follows the nose. Light, fruity hop that hits mostly on a sweet lemon flavor and a bready, grainy malt character. Aftertaste is a light, lemony essence.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with light, fluffy carbonation and texture. Drinks smooth.

Overall - Drinks so light, I'd be tempted to call this a hoppy blonde. Certainly not on the level of session IPA's that Founders, Stone and Lagunitas have put out, but it's far from bad. That said, I probably wouldn't buy it again.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a head that equals the liquid in volume before starting its descent; good stickage and lacing action

Smell: Bready, with lemon, mango and pineapple

Taste: The citrus, pineapple and mango start the flavor parade with the bready tones hanging around underneath; not much flavor development from start to finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate to high carbonation

Overall: A very juicy and bright session IPA; not surprised given the brewery

4.46/5  rDev +21.5%

I bought this beer because it was only of the few options in the display case I hadn't consumed before. When I got it home I was disappointed to find it is a mere 4.3% ABV. Almost the same as a light lager.

To my great surprise this is an excellent beer. It has an almost zen like balance of hops and malt. There is ample hop aroma and flavor, but the bitterness is well controlled. The finish is satisfying while still being easy drinkable.

My only knock on this beer is that it's bottle conditioned. I don't like getting chunks of yeast every once in a while. I like my commercial beer crystal clear. Personally preference though.

3.27/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pale golden color with a slight burnt copper hue. The head is thick and fluffy and there’s plenty of carbonation and a mild ring of lacing.
Smell:
Orange zest, grapefruit, hops and wheat grass make this IPA smell very inviting.
Taste:
Grapefruits and hops are the main flavor, the orange zest takes a back seat and it is bitter and mildly sweet overall.
Mouthfeel:
Light-to-medium bodied.
Overall:
This is a very good tasting IPA and very smooth.

4.66/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When fresh, it's hard to believe this isn't rated higher. Super drinkable, sessionable and grapefruity smells and tastes. A delicious beer!

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not a terrible session. Not my "go-to" which is my go to but solid enough

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A smallish off-white head caps a bright medium-dark yellow gold beer. There's a touch of haze to the body, though there's a flare of lighter gold as well. The head drops to a light island and some edging, leaving a strong ring and heavy spotting.
The nose makes a pretty impressive showing, putting out lots of bright citrus and zest. It balances sweeter and bitter notes well, letting the hops take charge. The flavor shows a bit of fussiness and a light must as well, finishing with both bright orange and bread crust.
The body is on the lighter side, just verging into medium. It's crisp but goes into the middle and finishes with a less refined bite.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this out of a bottle up at the Cloverleaf last night for the first time. I understand that Session IPA's are all the rage now but this one wasn't one of the better ones that I've had lately. There was a lot of carbonation here and since the flavors were relatively typical, there wasn't much that stood out about this. Only the yeast in the bottle made this noteworthy and it went down a bit too easily, which was probably the goal of Boulevard when they brewed this.

The pour to this was golden and a bit cloudy once I swirled out the yeast and poured it in at the end. Not much of an aroma to this besides some of the yeast and a faint hint of citrus rind. That was repeated in the taste, along with a earthy hop base that reminded me of a lighter Green Flash or Victory beer. Lots of carbonation scrubbed that away quickly and this was quite dry too, along the lines of champagne. A few rings of lacing were left on the upper half of my glass and I couldn't detect the alcohol in this at any point.

Sure, I could have had another one or two of these while I was out last night but one was sufficient enough. It reminded me of weed a bit but theer wasn't enough of a flavor profile to make me want to have more. If there was such thing as a "Light IPA", this would be it. Come summer, I could see a lot of people reaching for this even though upping the alcohol by a percentage point in what would be consumed would completely change the game. As this is, it's an alternative that is a textbook example of this emerging style.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Way too carbonated for me.

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Chill-hazed gold in color with a moderate head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Pleasant whiff of tropical fruit
Taste-Tropical fruit, citrus hops, citrus-rind finish. Overall, nice flavor in a sessionable 4.3ABV brew.

2.21/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I've begun trying as many session IPAs as I can find. Unfortunately, this is a session beer, but does not taste like an IPA at all. It's bland, watery, and worst, almost completely lacking in hop flavor. If they kept the "IPA" out of the title, I probably wouldn't have hated it.

The appearance is nice, with plenty of lacing all around the glass. But the qualities stop there--this is a dry tasting beer with biscuit notes and some vague of bitterness, but no great hop flavors.

I know that session IPAs can be great beers (see Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream). This just isn't good.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was a nice pint... hue between straw and golden with a 1/2 finger of fluffy white head that left behind some nice lacing. Light citrus aromas. Very mild and pleasant nose. Clean as anything out there. Light with some distinct tropical fruits tastes as well as a hint of citrus. Not bitter. Easy and clean mouthfeel (maybe the wheat?). Nice and crisp. It might just be me, but I would have liked this a bit more on the bitter end. I do understand, however, that they may be going for something a bit different. Midwest style? Great session beer, and would be perfect on a hot day.

2.59/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

On draft in nj. For a session ipa this is weak in flavor, mouthfeel and aroma compared to what other breweries have been able to achieve. More late addition hops needed and less watery backbone. Not a fan.

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

16 oz. on tap at Corner Bar in Austin, TX on Sat., 12/27/2014, unknown brewing/packaging dates, poured into a standard pint glass, drank over ~15 minutes while eating some good ol' TX BBQ

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

AR: 4.5 AP: 4.75 F: 4.5 MF: 4 OA: 4.5

I have long thought that the world of 3-point beers (those beers sold in grocery and convenience stores in certain states including Oklahoma and Colorado) could be improved greatly. Generally the offerings are a smattering of macro breweries with a few 3 point versions of betters beers thrown in for those folks who want a little flavor with their beer – normally Shiner Bock, Boulevard Wheat, Shock Top and occasionally Guinness Stout.

I understand the 3.2% ABW rule is hard to work with (which actually comes out to 4.0% Alcohol by volume, the way alcohol is most commonly measured), but it is not impossible. There is no reason why 3 point beers can’t embrace large amounts of hops or nice amounts of toasted malt (neither of which should raise the alcohol). Yet for the most part, if you want to buy beer to take home on Sunday in Oklahoma, you are stuck with crappy beer.

Boulevard thankfully has accepted the challenge – to brew a truly great 3-point beer. I recently bought a sixer of Pop-Up IPA and it is good. Damn good.
Nice hop-laden aroma. It pours a hazy gold liquid with a giant white fluffy head. Flavor is nicely hop-forward without getting into monstrous territory. Some sprucy notes. A little bit of faint citrus. Fairly dry but a lingering sweetness.

Medium to full mouthfeel.

Quite possibly the best 3-point beer I’ve ever had. Definitely a good session beer but also just a good beer period. It is not the best IPA (not by a long shot), in fact I would probably put this in American Pale Ale territory than in IPA territory, but it is still very, very good. I like it!

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden yellow with a medium lasting white head, some light lacing. Sweet pine citrus notes on the aroma, fruity. Taste same as aroma with some grapefruit tangy flavor, biscuit malt and light yeast, mild hops bitterness. Palate is a medium body, mild carbonation. Finish is sweet pine citrus with some grapefruit notes, slight tangy and mild hops bitterness. Overall goes down easy and good drinking, nice session IPA.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle data: 4071 0940 0 BEST BY 08/09/14

The body appears golden yellow and slightly hazy with a thick, foamy, white head. Decent citrus aroma; lemon and orange. Fruity, bready flavor with a mild hop bitterness. Medium body, dry and slightly coarse on the tongue.

A respectable, nicely balanced IPA. The malt backbone and citrus-like hop aroma and flavor mix well together. Perhaps there would have been more of a 'wow' factor if my sample bottle was not past its best-buy date, yet it still tastes damn fine.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Excellent taste with limited bitter bang. Had a nice lip smacking maltiness that I enjoyed very much. This is a great hot day beer but not one I would reach for in general.

4.22/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pop-Up Session IPA has a hazy golden body with hints of orange and pours a towering, foamy white head that has great retention and leaves heavy lacing. Smells of yeasty bread, orange, lemon, and pineapple.

Taste starts with grapefruit, sour orange, and lemon rind, moving to tropical hops with pineapple and mango in the middle, finish has some yeasty bread accompanied by more citrusy hops. Body is light with high carbonation, expected from a session IPA, with a slightly creamy and slightly yeasty feel.

Wow! I was really impressed by this beer, pretty much right on what I want from a session IPA, light and crisp with a ton of hop flavor. I'm very surprised this is rated so low, as I think a lot of other people look for the same characteristics that I do in a session ipa.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer won't change your life or anything, but what I really like is that the "commercial description" is perfect. It's very drinkable, and I think the flavor is somewhat unique, at least in my semi-limited drinking experience (compared to many people on here). The name fits, too, and the label art is kind of cool.

to view more.
Pop-Up Session I.P.A. from Boulevard Brewing Co.