Hoster Gold Top - Hoster Brewing Company

Hoster Gold TopHoster Gold Top

good

Hoster Brewing Company
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Wildman on 03-19-2003)
Reviews by havoc1:
2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

havoc1, Feb 15, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

I had this on tap at Old Bag of Nails Pub. I haven't had the Gold Top since the Hoster brewpub closed many years back. Served in a pint glass, it poured clear bright gold, with a good foamy white head. Not a strong aroma, but it had a grainy and yeasty smell to it. It tasted like grain and slightly malty, with just a bit of hoppiness in there. It's a pretty unoffensive, light bodied beer. Finishes very crisp and clean, a very, very drinkable beer. All in all, a pretty good beer for a hot summer day.

bluejacket74, Jul 20, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

gold top is an earthy, yeasty lager. Creamier and hoppier than say Dortmunder Gold...BUT....not as good. I use to drink this on tap all the time....it dissapeared and I guess it's now making a comeback. Not as clear as many lagers....creamier....and better mouthfeel.... almost drinks like a blonde ale. Taste is saweeet...literally...hops arrive at finish. Scores high on mouthfeel and flavor but perhaps a touch TOO sweet which may effect its' sessionability. Good tasting selection but 1 or 2 is enough. It is better, however, than its local competing brew, CBCgoldenlager. Stick with GLdortgold if avail.

witster18, Jan 28, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Not a bad brew! Had it for the first time tonight at BW3's in Marion, Ohio. On Tap that is. Just one question to those that have tried it. Is it my imagination, or are there cascade hops in there? I could taste them, but couldn't smell them! ? ! Normally it's the other way around.

tpet96, Jul 21, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +23.7%

This lager has prompted me to get a keg-o-rater now for the kitchen. Unbelievable smoothness and taste for a beer of this style.

After six pints of these, I thought I could fly... Still not sure exactly what ABV this beer happens to be - I would say somewhere around the 5-6% range due to having only 6 of these, and almost couldn't walk.

I'm so happy Hosters is making a comeback here in OH.

This beer is great for guzzling (or sipping) on a warm summer day.

JamfSlayer, Sep 16, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer really blew me away at the Columbus Microbrew Festival at North Market. It was the first beer I tried, and remained one of my favorites to the end.

My first reaction was to compare this to GLBC Dortmunder Gold. As my only experience with a beer labeled as a Dortmunder, I expected a much fuller-bodied and hoppy beer.

Hoster Gold Top is very light gold in color, extremely well carbonated, with a nice small white head.

Smells of light doughy malts and some lemon.

The taste is very crisp, super refreshing. All the hallmarks of a fine German lager.

Light bodied, the carbonation dances in your mouth. This beer is extremely drinkable. I hope to see this around town in the future.

Spider889, Oct 01, 2010

Appearance - golden straw pour, a full finger of head. Drops back to a thin cap with a full wall of lace all around. Strong bead helps to maintain a bare but complete cover.

Aroma - fresh grain, a touch metallic. There was a light bit of fruitiness at first but that is totally gone now. As it gets a bit warmer, the hops show through much better.

Taste - the mildly sweet grain precedes a similarly mild hoppiness. About half the bitterness of a pilsner I'd say, the hops take over about mid-palate and slowly spread throughout with a robust flavor. Finishes with a very palatable bitterness that simply says 'again'...

Mouthfeel - medium body, very crisp but tasty enough to ward off any over-bubbled feelings.

Drinkability - great with an order of Parmesan Peppercorn wings at the Great Steak & Lube in Columbus. A good summer drinker, I just *knew* I'd regret leaving my growler home for this business trip, but have since enjoyed this in Cincinnati at a new chili parlor, West Side Chili! The only place between here and Columbus with the Gold Top, so if you like a brew with your three-way, this is the place.

brewdlyhooked13, Aug 27, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Ordered this on-tap at the Sandstone restaurant in downtown Logan, Ohio. Poured a crisp, clean gold color - nice and clear - with a foamy white head. Good retention - nice lacing on the glass. Smells and tastes of sweet malts, honey, touch of apricots, yeast. Hints of the hops, but definitely on the sweet side. Medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable beer - clean and refreshing. Would gladly reach for another.

ndekke39, May 02, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

I was happy to see this at Max & Erma's in German Village, OH. Served cool in a nonic glass. Clear golden color with streams of bubbles. No head and scant lacing, although this may be a result of the pour. Very little smell, but what was there was mostly malt. Very nice taste, some biscuity malt. A little lighter on the hops than, say, Great Lakes offering, but enough bitterness to balance the malt. Light, clean mouthfeel; slightly heavier mouthfeel due to only slight carbonation. Not sure what the ABV is, but it is not noticeable. Could drink several of these easily, and I definitely will try this again.

tkarsies, Jun 30, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was on tap at a cousin's wedding near Columbus. Needless to say I had a few of them. I think it is very cool to serve local brews for out of town guests.

Poured with a good head that held up respectably. You could tell you weren't drinking your average wedding keg beer when you took a sniff. Taste was true to type, but I would have liked a little be more biscuity-maltiness in the background.

Went down nice, but finish was a little bit dry for a scorching hot evening in July. My mouth was pretty fuzzy walking in the dark to the 'homestead' near Hocking Hills after a night of dancing to Jake Speed and the Freddies. As a bonus on a hot night, the feared last swallow in a warm plastic cup was surprisingly easy to drink from first to last cup.

svraines, Jul 10, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Now the beer me and my friend got our hands on may soon be reappearing at Barley's Brewing with Hoster's permission. This store had a six pack shortly after the closing, so it turned out to be pretty good. It poured a pale yellow color and formed an nice foamy white head, that left trace lace as it subsided. It had an aroma of hops and grain with a slight lemon aspect to it. The flavor was of hops and bread with a slight hint of lemon. The finish was light and a touch astrigent. Since this one was very popular and doesn't conflict with any existing Barley's batches, many people are excited that this will soon reappear at Barley's. Check it out when it comes out on tap!

Wildman, Mar 19, 2003

Envelopes, Oct 21, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

nineworldseries, Jun 03, 2013

Shoey87, Dec 08, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

This is another where Ive had it plenty of times but just havent typed up a review. This beer really is starting to disappear though, which is a very sad thing. Jimmy V's in German Village used to have it on tap pretty often and I would go through a few pints of it. Its been a while since Ive seen it there. Other than that I dont really know where to find it.

I had it again last weekend at the Columbus Microbrew Fest and I maintain that it is one of the best Dortmunders you can get.

The nose is very floral but it is also balanced by a thick, doughy breadiness.

The taste is very malty, rich and doughy.

PS: I love that picture. Anyone who knows anything about when this beer was bottled, PLEASE BM me. I know its a long shot since its not like anyone will be checking up on this beer any time soon. Aw screw it, Ill just BM Micah.

MbpBugeye, Sep 29, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

This is one of my favorite microbrew beers I have had. I have had this beer on-tap at many bars and resturaunts around the columbus area and cant stop coming back for more. It has a refreshing clean taste, the appearance is great and it is overall a great beer. Thanks Hoster Gold Top for brewing a top quality beer.

HershelGibbs, Jul 03, 2007

I had this on tap before dinner at Hyde Park last night. It was served in a Hoster's glass, you can't ask for better presentation than that from a restaurant.

The beer was medium copper color, very clear, with a thick head, minimal retention. The aroma was mostly malty, just a little bit of fruitiness from esters. The taste was the same, very nice for the style and possibly a little better than Great Lakes version of this style (which has a bitterness I don't like).

Overall not bad.

TurdFurgison, Apr 04, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

On draught at the Hoster’s re-tapping at Barley’s Ale House #1 on February 3, 2005. The excitement of having Hoster’s back definitely outweighed their choice of the first beer to bring back to market. This is Hoster’s flagship beer, and while not my favorite it is a pretty good Dortmunder. Served in a logo glass. Clear dark gold color with mild effervescence and a medium foamy white head. Minimal lacing. The aroma is bready and somewhat sweet with malt and a bit of hops. Light-bodied and smooth with a good amount of carbonation. Flavors of earthy malts and grain, with a light citrus hops in the background. The finish is clean and sweet. All in all a good effor for the style. Welcome back Hoster’s!

Dogbrick, Nov 08, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +21%

Tried a sample at the Columbus, Ohio AleFest and immediately I was transported back to Trier and Saarbrucken, Germany circa 1985 sitting on a GastHaus/Bierstube bench and dropping down a few nice Dortmunder style beers! This is probably the best example of a true Dortmunder style brew that I have found since I left Germany. The malts are nice and pronounced without being over bearing. The hops are balanced nicely. A clean crisp finish and a good firm head add to the exceptional character of this beer.

Thanks for the flashback to a part of my past that I hold in the highest esteem!

bluedragon710, Jun 10, 2007