Pelforth Brune - Brasserie Heineken

Beer added by: BeerResearcher on 03-24-2003

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

From my notes 6/15/07 pours a two-finger light tan head that fades slowly, leaving some lace. Deep mahogany color. Malty nose. Light carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Flavor is malty and nutty, clean finish. Nice to have a decent French beer for a change. Best by Jan 26, 2008. €4.00 ($5.48) 330ml green bottle at Hotel Mercure Lyon, France.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer pours a dark brown but allows light to pass through. Thin head but the lace is sticky and leaves spotty bubbles after each sip.

The aroma is a combination of brown malts (crystal and chocolate) but I can also detect a slight amount of Belgian sourness.

There's a strong cherry start but finishes with a near lambic-sour finish. Moderate to full body, similar of to skim milk with good carbonation.

This beer is very easy to drink and it doesn't fit neatly into any particular expectation. It's too conventional to be a lambic, yet it isn't ordinary enough to simply be a typical brown ale. My notes before seeing the English Brown Ale categorization: "tastes like a cross between a mild brown ale and a Kriek."

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Definitely brune, a very lovely clear dark brown chestnut poured out of the glass. A generous head yields to a thin lace over the liquid after a few minutes. Smells toasty, hints of caramel, maybe some subtle hops.

Taste is toasty as well, with a certain sweetness balanced with an appropriate amount of bitterness. Actually reminiscent of Newcastle, just slightly darker in flavor. The alcohol leaves a bit of a dry finish and is therefore certainly detectable. That doesn't distract from the moutfeel or drinkability.

This is a well done beer, very worthy of trying. Get a couple more than you think you'll want, because you will want some of this around.

4.08/5  rDev +16.2%

4.06/5  rDev +15.7%

Many, many thanks to einweizenbitte for sending me some CANs that were totally foreign to me. I really wish that I had initiated The CANQuest (TM) while I was still on active duty in the Navy.

This was a CAN for the aesthetes among us. A BRUSHED (!) aluminum CAN with raised (!!) pressed lettering and symbology! Holy over the top, Batman! This looks like a piece of modern art. Needless to say, it will NOT be getting recycled. This is a keeper.

Come to think of it, that may be another reason to leave aesthetics and CANs separate. If people begin to hang onto their beautiful CANs, the recycling chain will be irreparably broken! Go Green, make your CANs as ugly as possible!

Bock? Really? Color me dubious, especially when other reviewers have compared it to Newcastle Brown. Change Request sent.

The Crack & Glug action resulted in a rocky finger-and-a-half of mocha-tan/brown head with moderate retention. Color was a deep-brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Very pretty! Nose was extremely sweet, bordering on syrupy. Wow, time to check the glucose/blood sugar level. This could put a diabetic in a coma, much less a self-professed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a pronounced malty sweetness on the tongue. Ho! Well, now that my heart was pumping at an all-new rate, it was time to settle back and enjoy the ride. 6.5% ABV seems low for a bock, but the intensity of the sweetness fits. I still lobby for Brown Ale, though. I feel like Lennie in "Of MIce and Men", rubbing my fingers all over the CAN. He really had something, though, with that tactile fixation. I, too, like to touch stuff and this beer was reaching out and touching me. Dang, I never even heard of these guys before this CANTrade, but both were solid beers. Finish was super smooth, running down my gullet (looking at Mr. PeliCAN) as quickly as I could lift it to my beak. Zounds! This could lay me out! Another back and bottom of the cooler CANdidate. A full day of this and you might feel like you could fly away.

Final thoughts: "The Peli[CAN]" by Ogden Nash. Behold the peli[CAN]. His bill holds more than his belly [CAN].

Navy adendum: Don't be a peli[CAN]! Only take what you [CAN] eat. You [CAN] always come back for seconds. Mess Decks Masters-at-Arms will deal with offenders!

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Fairly dark brown, but not Guiness dark. Almost no head.

S: Smokey and heavy, but there's also a listerin tinge to it. Unique for sure. Very Porter-like.

T: Porter-like but lighter. Quite pleasent, like a cross between an amber and a porter. Very pleasing flavor.

M: Nothing special and barely carbonated.

O. Really excellent beer. Best of both porter and amber worlds.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Had this on tap at Falstaff, Paris, March 2006....

Poured a deep mahogany red colour with a brown tinge... Creamy tan head poured thick and foamy and faded to a nice thin layer...

Aroma - Sweet and roasted malts, toffee, figs, chocolate hints, brown sugar, slight vanilla notes...

Taste – Malty, toffee, dark fruits, slight sweetness, treacle, spicy, slight aniseed hints, bitter aftertaste...

Feel - Quite smooth with only a slight sharpness. Medium body. Pretty drinkable....

Overall - A pretty good beer.... Definitely worth a try...

3.93/5  rDev +12%

My good friend Ellen brought this bottle back from France with her and shared it with me.
The beer pours a rich mahagony color with some ruby tints mixed in. There is a finely packed soft fluffy beige head of about 1 cm in my snifter.

Aroma is malty almost like a lager, but also has a definate fruitiness to it. Plums and raisins. This reminds me of a belgian brown now not english. More complex than I expected.

First sip reveals a smooth textured brew with very fine carbonation. Flavor is similar to the nose. Malty wiht ripe fruit mixed in. A little bit of alcohol bite on the swallow.

Quite a tasty brew I think. I am happy to have shared it with a good friend.

3.93/5  rDev +12%

A- Beautiful mahogany with a single finger of light tan head that, sadly, dissipates quickly.

S- Malt. Tons. And a bit of grain, not much else. Good and to style. Very faint hop aroma.

T- Initially rich and malty, with a good bit of roastiness following quickly. No hop balance, but a hint of roasty bitterness to balance the malt. Has a distinct grain flavor, like that of grains being steeped for brewing. A hint of mild cigar tobacco, and a bit of caramel.

M- Creamy, chewy, fairly highly carbonated. An almost perfect mouthfeel for the style.

D- Quite good. An excellent high-end session beer. Recommended.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

I found this to be sweet release in France. Being so close to Belgium I figured there would be a ton of good beer but they just don't seem to drink a lot of it. I asked once and the waiter said "no, we have French beers" and brought me a Kronenbourg 1664...

I was happy with this. It poured a dark brown with a huge head so it took two pours to get it all from the bottle. Smelled of malt, caramel and some yeastyness. Tasted nice with malt and toasted flavors and some phenols from the yeast. Went down smooth and I had another.

I drank mostly wine in France but if I needed a beer this was my go to when I could find it. Perfect for the Fall which was when I was there.

Pelforth Brune from Brasserie Heineken