The Bag's Potato Ale - The Bag and Kettle

1 Rating

pDev: n/a
The Bag and Kettle visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: ecoboy on 03-01-2005

Ratings: 1 | Reviews: 1
4.28/5  rDev n/a

Served in a nonic glass at the Bag and Kettle.

A: I had assumed (foolishly!) that this ale would be a fairly pale brew (because it is brewed with Yukon Gold potatoes). This is not the case. (When my drink arrived, I at first thought that I had received a brown ale by mistake. However, I compared it to an actual brown ale that a good friend of mine had ordered, and determined that it was not the same beer at all.) My immediate thought was that perhaps the potatoes are not skinned and the potato skins contribute to the darker color. That, or maybe it's just darker malts, who knows! What the potatoes do undeniably contribute is a certain murky, cloudy appearance in the drink. Anyone who has ever made potato soup from scratch will know exactly what I mean. Which is all a long-winded way of saying that this beer is dark brown with some hints of ruby, and a murky character to it. It has one inch of fine-bubbled head. It resembles an altbier or a dubbel, in many respects.

S: Mmm... earthy! It smells like potatoes and grain.

T: As I take the first sip, intense earthy tones rush to the front and are followed by sweet malts and followed up by bittering hops. This all happens fairly quickly, and there is not much of a sustained finish. I hope that the fine people at the Bag and Kettle will understand that if I suggest that this beer tastes like dirt, I mean it in the best possible way.

M: The mouthfeel is exquisite: thick, rich, smooth and filling.

D: This drink goes down nice and smooth. It could easily be a session beer.

This is by far one of the best fruit/vegetable beers I have had. Another triumph for the humble potato!

The Bag's Potato Ale from The Bag and Kettle
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.