Mahr's Hell - Mahrs-Bräu

Mahr's HellMahr's Hell

Mahrs-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-28-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mahr's Hell Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle poured into pilsener glass.

A - Looks like a lager. Yellow with a somewhat thin head. I expect this beer wasn't exactly fresh, as there was very little carbonation, and the head dissipated very quickly.

S - A light amount of sweet malts, lager dankness, and a slight bit of hops. Spicy-ish hops, not fruity. Good smelling lager.

T - Kind of disappointed. This may be due to the beer not being too fresh, as it's among the top rated Munich Helles' here at BA. The slightly sweet malts are noted up front, along with a small amount of hops and yeast. The aftertaste is pleasant, and I notice a bit of black pepper. Most likely from spicy hops. Overall, not a bad tasting Helles, but I'm disappointed, as it's my favorite style, and I wasn't huge on this stuff. Similar to Weihenstephaner Original: rated highly, but I'm not a huge fan of.

F - Refreshing and crisp as a lager should be, but not refreshing in the way that my favorite Helles' make me want to take a long sip over and over do. I could certainly see drinking this on a hot day or on the golf course, though.

O - Not a bad beer, but I am disappointed. One of the best rated beers of this style (which happens to be my favorite), but nothing makes me want to purchase again. I would gladly try again if found somewhere cheaper (paid $5.49 for this 500 ml bottle - not worth it at all), but in the end, there are many better (and cheaper) Helles lagers. It's worth a try for lager fans.

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

On-tap at Mahrs itself in a 500 ml mug, on to the beer:

This one is golden yellow in color with a thick collar which retains well. Honey and grass make the aroma, and both aromas are vibrant. The taste is clean with pleasant grassy notes, honey bread, and a subtle citric note. With a slight crispness and light-medium body which helps make this beer very refreshing, this is one of many candidates for the stereotypical helles lager.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

It’s always a great day when I’ve got a real German beer in my fridge. I just hope it made the trip overseas relatively quickly.

The date code reads “Bottled on: 312,” which could mean the 31st day of 2012 (January 31, 2012) or the 312th day of the year (earliest possible being November 8, 2011); either way, this one is over eight months old. Not optimal for a lager, but whatever.

A: Very pale yellow with a bright white, sudsy head that sits at about an inch: yep, that’s a German lager. Tumults of bubbles throughout the body support a thin covering of retention, accompanied by soapy lacing.

S: Nice bready aroma to the nose, with subsequent sniffs fleshing out buttery biscuit, grain husk, soft straw, and clean lager yeast. Hops give a sharp note of acidic intensity, pepper, lemon-lime, and floral herb character wafting up above the malts – it’s a great balance of scents. Some residual sugars show up as creamy vanilla and strawberry puree, showing off that sweet malt scent I’d been hoping for. This lager seems to be hitting all the right notes so far.

T: A beautifully-crafted lager at first sip: its flavors are silk on the tongue. Flavorful malt and clean, bready yeast take center stage in a battle between sweet, toasted graininess, floury biscuit dough, and mild grape and banana. None of them really wins, and that’s alright with me; I really enjoy that intricate balance. There is a noticeable lack of hop bite (possibly due to age), but notes of lemon rind, citrus (mostly mango), and tea leaf astringency are still there. Finishes with barely any aftertaste: only a tiny taste of sweet grains and metals linger.

M: Not a thin body, but one that doesn’t have a ton of carbonation. This is the definition of a smooth-drinking lager, with a light body.

O: It seems like the brewer was trying to make the easiest-drinking beer on the planet – something that Bud, Miller, and Coors have been trying to do for years – and I think they just may have succeeded. From first sip to last, this was everything I wanted in an everyday beer: smooth, pleasing flavors that still don’t lack depth, as well as a creamy texture that doesn’t fill you up. It’s a shame I won’t be able to have it fresh unless I buy a ticket to Europe; still, I’ll be buying up whatever bottles I can while I have the chance. Prost!

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Had the pleasure of trying this one tap during its short span at 775 Gastropub. It's a perfectly clean lager with a nice dose of malts and just enough hops to balance it out. It was very, very smooth - almost too smooth! A little more crispiness would have been cool, but I liked it for what it was just fine. Why did the glass have to be 14oz? I wanted so much more.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pale golden colour, medium head, clear. Initial red cabbage aroma faded, also detected some malt and citrus. Initially I tasted a burst of nut and mushroom which promised much but soon faded. It had a pleasant, balanced malty sweetness but it could have been more. Crisp texture, smooth on the palate, light to medium carbonation. Expected a lot after the first sip, eventhough it didn't quite deliver it was still not bad.

Mahr's Hell from Mahrs-Bräu