Bagel Beer Pumpernickel Porter - Lotsolox Brewing Company

Bagel Beer Pumpernickel PorterBagel Beer Pumpernickel Porter

pDev: n/a
Lotsolox Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 04-02-2003)
Reviews by Bang34:
4.18/5  rDev n/a

Appearance is dark, not the darkest I have ever seen, but pretty dark none the less. Light gets through on the edges but it's not something you can scope out chicks through.

The smell is malty with hints of chocolate. The chocolate comes through on the taste, very malty, chocolate and coffee, not too many hops, but there is a slight bitterness on the aftertaste that does not last too long.

This has a very pleasant mouth feel, very thick and creamy, goes down easy but is pretty heavy so I wouldn't spend a whole night on this one. It's a great starter.

I have to say that I didn't have high hopes for this beer, or even high expectations for that matter. Maybe it was the name, "bagel Beer just wreaks of a novelty gimmick. But hey, I was preasantly surprised, a good porter and it comes in one of my favorite mediums, the 22 oz. bottle. You just look cool carrying one around at a party. Well, maybe I rated this so well because it exceeded my expectations, but for now at least I am sticking by it.

4.4/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 fl.oz Bomber, with a generic dark red label that has the words Bagel Beer wrapped top and bottom around the picture of a Bagel. The Bagel is appropriately, a brown one. Allegedly the beer is actually made with a number of Pumpernickel Bagels being added to the brew. So there is a little bagel in every beer, as the blurb proudly states.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, but not quite black, color as it does let a very small percentage of the light through around the edges when back-lit. Small bubbles race downwards into the blackness of the beer as the head above expands and forms a stiff brown meringue like cratered surface. The head has good staying power but as it slowly collapses in on itself it leaves a lovely vertical lace on the glass edges.

Smell: A dark nose reveals roasted malt that dominates the aroma.

Taste: A very smooth beginning that positively coats the mouth with a soft velvet blanket of roasted malts. As you swallow the beer and air enters the mouth a roast-bitterness races into the middle of the beer. A slightly hoppy, but dry, rather bitter finish that is short lived at the end.

Drinkability: The second of the ‘Bagel Beers’ from Lotsolox that I have tried so far, and this is just as equally drinkable as the first one (the IPA). Smooth, silky and very drinkable.

Overall: Definitely a “Well Bread Beer” as the label says. A very enjoyable 1 Pint 6 fl.oz. of Porter, and well worth the $3.50 it cost. I will buy this one again for sure.

Pumpernickel ‘Bagel’ Porter – Nice Concept – Nice Beer!

4.5/5  rDev n/a

This pitch black brew throws out a good sized, lightly whipped brown head. Very creamy. Aroma is full of cocoa goodness as well as some java and dry roasted peanuts. The lacing left is quite full. My palate agrees with beer made from bagels I guess. This one is nicely roasted. It has a very perceptible hop character. Seeminly a fresh cascade quality. And a nice hop bitterness to mix with the roasted and burnt malt qualities. It's a little spicy as well. Not sure I can actually pick out the pumpernickel, but there's something a little unique here. The mouthfeel is smooth and velvet like. Body is almost full. Yeah, I like this one.

This beer is like a meal in a bottle. If I had nothing else to consume, I think I could subsist on 3 bombers of this a day for a long time.

Thanks for my first Bagel Beer Beach Bum.

4/5  rDev n/a

I would of pegged this one as a stout if I hadn't known it was a porter. Dark with a thick tan head that dies down a bit but has staying power. Has hundreds of miniscule floaties which I am presuming is remnants of a bagel. Aroma is really nice with roasted malt, cocoa and a hint of chocolate. Has a great smooth full bodied feel just like a good stout. Slight dry and bitter finish, but only slight. Flavor is also really nice with a good dose of coffee and chocolate coming through and a slight hop bitterness. This is a really good brew and definitely worth trying.

Bagel Beer Pumpernickel Porter from Lotsolox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.