Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Amber Alström Bros

Color: Nice amber looking beer.

Smell: smells like warm candy in the summer. great smell.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A Nice matlt balance. This is a very drinkable beer.

This is a very good beer. I am so glad it is one state that is less then 3 hours away for me. i will be making trips to WI for it. This beer brings me back to the nice summer to fall day as a kid. I don't know why. I really enjoy this beer. Cheers!

chicagobill13, Sep 23, 2011

Sunshine, Dec 10, 2012

jakan1, Dec 10, 2011

MisterDrow, Jun 22, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +34.4%

Outstanding...my kind of beer...very malty and sweet with a slick mouth feel (almost oily or greasy)..minimal hops...light orangish color....I didn't get much head retention, but you can see the carbonation...doesn't taste charged up though...this is a brilliant beer..truly exceptional....I expected a little more hop bite on the aftertaste but it is fine just the way it is..

ZAP, Feb 08, 2002
4.85/5  rDev +33.6%

Alaskan Amber is a perennial favourite of mine. A smooth, copper colored ale; heavy on the malt with just enough hop to cleanse the palette from the sweetness. Definitely NOT a "lawnmower" beer, but mild enough to drink plenty in a session. This is another great choice for the milder fall and cooler winter sessions at the pub or in front of the fire at home. One issue I have had with this beer is an omnipresent flaw of the pub to want to serve it cold. This beer suffers greatly from a cold pour, as the floral complexities are completely lost. If you are tasting this beer for the first time, do yourself the favour of letting the bottle stand 5-10 minutes out of refrigeration before pouring, then pour slowly and with the glass tipped as you normally would. The head on this style beer should be low, as the carbonation should be as well. If you have a home draught beer system, set it no less than 45F and I recommend tapping into a pitcher and serving from there, as I have found that helps the head to seem creamier.

Alaskan Amber pairs well with hearty beef dishes, and I enjoy it with any dish which you might pair with a red wine. If I could find a fault with with this beer, it would be the flaw in most/all bottled offerings; that of metallic force carbonation. This is my default bottled beer favourite, as here in California, due to a great distribution network, we can often get it for less than $12/12 pack! Someone show me a better $1 ale!!!

This is a good choice for an American made amber ale without the overbearing hop profile which the west coast has imposed on the style. it compares well with British pale, ESB or German Alt beers in flavour and food pairing. If you have tried it in the past, and were "unimpresesed", try it again properly served. You'll be glad you did!!

OldRedLion, Dec 28, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +33.1%

This is probably my favorite ale. I enjoy the balanced flavors and nothing goes down smoother. Wish I could get it in MA without the extra shipping.

beernut7, May 03, 2002
4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

JeffSuttonTX, Mar 10, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

aschdave, Nov 21, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +30%

Pours an awesome dark reddish copper color with a nice head of off-white head. Not much lacing but a nice ring of fizz floats around the rim of my glass. Nice carbonation.

Very faint malty aroma and a candi sweet smell of cherries, kind of reminds me of redvines candy.

Fizzy on the palate, crisp and smooth. Awesome malty sweetness a little fruity, balanced perfectly with a light bitterness. Carbonation makes me burp quite a bit.

Very good beer, totally a session beer, I could drink this brew all night long!

Cheer!

SteveO1231, Dec 28, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +27.5%

Excellent pre-dinner beer, if on tap because the bottled version is nothing like the draft. Wonderful aftertaste that I cannot describe. Usually ask at a restaurant if they have it on tap, if not, we usually don't return. (it's that much of a great pre-dinner beer for me). I have found different batches taste different. Alaskan needs to pay attention to their consistency (or maybe that is their plan ?) If you find it on tap before dinner, Enjoy!

Fabric8r, Dec 06, 2002
4.63/5  rDev +27.5%

I enjoyed this beer from the bottle at the Anchorage, Alaska airport.

Attractive iced-tea colored brew, clear with slight head. Aroma is nice and malty. Flavor is very well-balanced, some faint chocolate notes (actually they were stronger when drunk straight out of the bottle the day before while on Alaska Airlines) Very rich. Wonderfully rich and smooth mouthfeel, really this what sets this beer apart.

Don't know about the alcohol content, but it seems fairly strong.

jmbranum, Oct 04, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

This beer poured with a brilliant deep amber, the appearance was perfect! Nice head retention to start with and it lasted all the way to the end. The nice malty, creamy, chewy mouth feel this beer provides is my reason for this review. An enjoyable session beer for sure.

This beer is very true to this "old" beer style. One of the best American interpretations of a German beer I've had. I would certainly drink this beer again.

kyleg, Mar 27, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +24%

rhinonau, Oct 28, 2013
Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.