Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Amber Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 607
1.34/5  rDev -63.1%

Bottle. Man, what a dissapointment. First of all, this isn’t an altbier, no way in the world. Tasted more like Newcastle Brown, horribly sweet, caramel, toffee and nuts, soft, sweet rubbish, made me angry while drinking it, because i was expecting am enjoyable beer, which is not what it ended up being. Had this at a beautiful camspite on the Oregon coast with some friends, shame the beer was so bad.

This is going to be one of those beer that I will want to avoid at any cost. The rating here is B, and I thought that this is a good beer, but it turned out bad.

A. looks yellowish to me rather that amber

S. It smells like dead fish. Maybe that is why the bottle has a ship on it.

T. It is those beer that I can't tell the taste. it is not bitter nor sweet. It is like combination of those with the smell of dead fish sea water.

M. Not fresh.

O. drink this at your own risk.

2.2/5  rDev -39.4%

I was in the mood to experiment a little bit so I got a six pack of 'mix' beers. This was one of them. Poured into my pint glass with a medium head, which disappeared quickly. The beer is a copper red color. I figured I was not seeing it in the right light so took it to a room that was better lit but no matter how hard I looked I could see no amber.
The beer has only a hint of a smell, faintly like yeast. The mouthfeel is average, like diluted Fat Tire.
I love all beer and given a choice between this ale and iced tea, would pick the ale any day of the week but this is not by a long shot the best beer I have had

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

Consumed the beer over a year ago and took notes.

Had on tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica.

A pint glass came out full of a deep dark red, very clear, with a thin layer of white foam

Has a very tart, sweet-sour aroma with a hint of toasted rye bread

Sour, I frankly hope the keg had past its prime, otherwise I question why a brewery would sell this. No noticeable hop presence, unbalanced, and a vinegary aftertaste.

Nicely carbonated with a fine texture.

Not only will I not have this beer again, it firmly plants altbier at the bottom of my list of beer styles. I wish this beer suited my taste buds, but it didn't. I guess I'm not crazy about overly sour brews.

2.46/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

really my palate issue...

do not like Amber's....do not like Alaska's

too sweet, off-taste, not hoppy enough, not strong enough...not good enough

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a lovely, brightly burnished copper colour, almost tinged with deep flashes of red ruby. Head is pretty firm, and very fine. A clean white sheen across the top of the glass. Nice languid carbonation and excellent lacing. Really, it's a great looking beer.

I fear, however, that there may not be any more vociferous praise for this beer in the review. Nose, is very faint and very mild, giving a slight honeyed grain character and very little else—I'd say the smell of water, but given that's almost nothing I'll say it smells like a wet tissue. At least that gives some description to the type of bland nothingness I'm trying to get across here.

Taste is similar, although there's a pleasant slightly metallic, slightly nutty bitterness through the centre of the void which is the flavour of this beer. That's about all there is, however, leaving it very weak, rather empty and very unexciting. Feel is so flat and empty as to make it feel like you're not actually putting liquid in your mouth.

Overall, a very poor effort. I appreciate the need for light, sessionable beers in your lineup, but this is a perfunctory effort at that, with little inspiration and minimal character. It's a slap in the face to some of the great Altbiers I've had.

2.59/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

kind of tasted rusty not too heavy.... just ok

2.66/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Well maybe that's why it was on special for 3.25 .. I don't know.. just was very unimpressed. Um. I probably should have just spent the extra 1.25 to get something really worth drinking. Well I know better next time. . I do have a nice buzz though.. Also what i like about this beer is the bottle design on the label..

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

golden brown translucent with quickly dissipating beige head; lightly carbonated

only lightest smell of flowery hops and light malt, with slight musky banana essence

tasted also slightly of banana essence, subtly sweet and only lightly hopped and malted; but predominantly bready toasted malt character with slightly musky yeasty aftertaste increasing upon warming to room temp. I would not call this a carmelly beer, compared to some stouts.

light to medium-bodied; subtle smoothness but slightly more character than average lager.

very similar to Fat Tire Amber Ale, but less foamy head. The slight banana esther was a plus to me, but otherwise it was only an average beer.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer pours a clear amber color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of light caramel, and not much else. The taste is similar to the aroma, but a little weaker. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a watery texture. Overall, this is a beer I pass on next time. It is simply too bland for my liking.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

For an Amber, it is not the best.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light amber with thin white head. OK retention with little lacing.

S: White bread, caramel, orange, brown sugar, and a slight floral hop aroma.

T: White bread, lemon, caramel, orange, with a tiny amount of hops detectable on the back end.

M: Light bodied, low carbonation, crisp finish.

O: A solid amber but not anything special. An enjoyable and easy drinking brew.

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Alaskan Amber

Appearance- reddish hue with barely any head to be seen.
Smell- malty/ breadiness. not much else.
Taste- weak malt and a hint of bread?! taste similiar to a Killians Red.

Overall- not a very pleasant beer. I could drink if that was all there was, but I won't purchase this beer again. Not worth it!

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Crisp and clean golden. a slight reddish hue. Head is white, slightly creamy, doesn't stick around forever.

S: A sweet and spicy aroma. Something almost ammonia like...just a light, presumable off-scent, but one that is noticable.

T + M: Quite a thin mouthfeel and flavour. A light malt flavour, slightly sweet, but non-descript in most ways... almost like a light sugar water in some ways. Not pulling much out of it, unfortunately. Finishes dry which is a little bit of a plus, but not by much....

D: It has a refreshing feel to it, so it would be suitable for a hot day beer or an "I want to get drunk" session slammer, but I couldn't see myself seeking it out.

2.81/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at a local sports bar type place. Came as a lighter brown with a receding white head in a pint glass. There are a tinges of orange in the body.

Given the setting, it was difficult to pinpoint the scent. I pick up malt and hints of citrus, perhaps orange.

There's an overtone of an I.P.A. strong hop character that hides a cinnamon and pine. A cleaning citrus sits on the edges that stains the tongue as opposed to the back of the throat. I wouldn't call this the most complex beer, the subtleties are not enough to peak my interest.

Despite the sting, the carbonation is mild and doesn't interrupt the palate. It leaves room something a bit more distinguishing flavor-wise.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

pours a 1/8" head with minimal, slippery lacing. amber body with sediment and light yellow tint.

smells of apple juice and caramel with a pear-y overtone.

tastes like apple and pear juice and hops.

clear, refreshing. wet and crisp finish.

average amber.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

A - Pours a clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, tiny head, basically no lacing though.

S - Scents of sweet malts, slight caramel.

T - The taste is sweet, but dissappointing. I was expecting alot more. Too watery.

M - Light body.

D - Drinkable. A fair amber ale in my book.

2.86/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

This beer was OK. It looked very nice, but the taste wasn't so great. It wasn't that bad either, except it tastes flat. And the flatness just gets progressively worse as you drink it, as it becomes nearly unbearable as you're approaching the last swallow. But it's not as bad as an IPA.

2.87/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It just didn't do it for me.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

A- This beer pours a hazy copper with a big off white head with moderate lacing left over.
S- I detected a bready malt aroma with hints of nutmeg, caramel, and some minute dark fruits.
T- Not to complex but the earthy flavored hops balanced quite well with the not to sweet caramel. followed by some subtle hints of assorted fruits made this a nice try.
M- Not too creamy with a clean finish of natural carbonation.
O- A decent amber ale with a small ABV and quite a bit of flavor.

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

About one half inch head when poured into a frosted heavy beer mug. Head had a beige tint and lasted about 30 seconds. Liquid has a clear amber color and a malt yeast odor. Taste was not bad yet not anything spectacular.

Over-all an average brew. I'm not knocking this product but not impressed.

2.89/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I used to enjoy this way back a few years ago. I think it just doesn't stack up against others of the same style. I based this rating on a beer I had on draft at a sports pub.

2.89/5  rDev -20.4%

Enjoyed at an home tasting with fellow BAer proteus93, courtesy of Dan (who got it in a Secret Santa trade from that OTHER beer site, but that's ok). Poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Poor head retention here, but the color's nice - a clear brown body with ruby hues around the edges.

Aroma: Cat food and chemical solvents - very off - and a few things that arent so off: spicy, floral hops and a delicate, balanced malt bill. Still though.

Taste: Bready malt - very grainy, really - some grassy hops, and a few chemical funk notes again. Dry, but not tart. Delicate.

Mouthfeel: Big exploding bubbles, thin, lots of good, filling, "evaporation" feel. Very interesting.

Drinkability: Ehhh, leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe a bad batch. It's interesting, but remove a few of the chemical funk notes and it'd be a lot more enjoyable.

2.9/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Somewhat refreshing but spunky beer. Mediocre.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

I don't know what everyone else seems to be tasting when they state that this beer has "aggressive hops". This is a traditional Alt style beer and has much in common flavor wise with a German Pils or Czech Lager. The color is medium copper with a thin head that quickly dissipates to an average lace. The nose is faint but appealing with notes of apple and a slight hint of spice, maybe cinnamon. The palate is all lager as far as I am concerned. (Remember Altbier was made before Lager and despite being top fermented, they share much in common with Lagers are far as flavors). The traditional Lager character, that kind of old bubble gum flavor is present but it nudges out any other discernable flavors. The texture is light and doesn't suit the beer all that much. It is very smooth and drinkable though I could probably only top off two since it is rather boring. Better than mass production American lagers and pilsners but lacking any real identity.

Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.