Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Amber Alström Bros
hoppyboy69

Arizona

08-24-2013 00:56:02 | More by hoppyboy69
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.3/5  rDev -64.2%

Bottle. Man, what a dissapointment. First of all, this isn’t an altbier, no way in the world. Tasted more like Newcastle Brown, horribly sweet, caramel, toffee and nuts, soft, sweet rubbish, made me angry while drinking it, because i was expecting am enjoyable beer, which is not what it ended up being. Had this at a beautiful camspite on the Oregon coast with some friends, shame the beer was so bad.

03-29-2006 18:06:23 | More by rastaman
Travisnin

Idaho

01-14-2012 06:56:50 | More by Travisnin
Zombiepaper

03-17-2012 07:35:51 | More by Zombiepaper
dmcbeerington

This is going to be one of those beer that I will want to avoid at any cost. The rating here is B, and I thought that this is a good beer, but it turned out bad.

A. looks yellowish to me rather that amber

S. It smells like dead fish. Maybe that is why the bottle has a ship on it.

T. It is those beer that I can't tell the taste. it is not bitter nor sweet. It is like combination of those with the smell of dead fish sea water.

M. Not fresh.

O. drink this at your own risk.

11-14-2011 22:59:31 | More by dmcbeerington

Mechagrue

07-28-2012 04:42:51 | More by Mechagrue
DoesntMatter46

2.17/5  rDev -40.2%

Consumed the beer over a year ago and took notes.

Had on tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica.

A pint glass came out full of a deep dark red, very clear, with a thin layer of white foam

Has a very tart, sweet-sour aroma with a hint of toasted rye bread

Sour, I frankly hope the keg had past its prime, otherwise I question why a brewery would sell this. No noticeable hop presence, unbalanced, and a vinegary aftertaste.

Nicely carbonated with a fine texture.

Not only will I not have this beer again, it firmly plants altbier at the bottom of my list of beer styles. I wish this beer suited my taste buds, but it didn't. I guess I'm not crazy about overly sour brews.

01-23-2010 07:56:51 | More by DoesntMatter46
cafemondegar

Colorado

2.2/5  rDev -39.4%

I was in the mood to experiment a little bit so I got a six pack of 'mix' beers. This was one of them. Poured into my pint glass with a medium head, which disappeared quickly. The beer is a copper red color. I figured I was not seeing it in the right light so took it to a room that was better lit but no matter how hard I looked I could see no amber.
The beer has only a hint of a smell, faintly like yeast. The mouthfeel is average, like diluted Fat Tire.
I love all beer and given a choice between this ale and iced tea, would pick the ale any day of the week but this is not by a long shot the best beer I have had

05-28-2008 03:01:24 | More by cafemondegar

08-30-2014 05:42:22 | More by craigreno
lacqueredmouse

Australia

2.53/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours a lovely, brightly burnished copper colour, almost tinged with deep flashes of red ruby. Head is pretty firm, and very fine. A clean white sheen across the top of the glass. Nice languid carbonation and excellent lacing. Really, it's a great looking beer.

I fear, however, that there may not be any more vociferous praise for this beer in the review. Nose, is very faint and very mild, giving a slight honeyed grain character and very little else—I'd say the smell of water, but given that's almost nothing I'll say it smells like a wet tissue. At least that gives some description to the type of bland nothingness I'm trying to get across here.

Taste is similar, although there's a pleasant slightly metallic, slightly nutty bitterness through the centre of the void which is the flavour of this beer. That's about all there is, however, leaving it very weak, rather empty and very unexciting. Feel is so flat and empty as to make it feel like you're not actually putting liquid in your mouth.

Overall, a very poor effort. I appreciate the need for light, sessionable beers in your lineup, but this is a perfunctory effort at that, with little inspiration and minimal character. It's a slap in the face to some of the great Altbiers I've had.

10-14-2011 00:00:15 | More by lacqueredmouse
beer348

2.65/5  rDev -27%

Well maybe that's why it was on special for 3.25 .. I don't know.. just was very unimpressed. Um. I probably should have just spent the extra 1.25 to get something really worth drinking. Well I know better next time. . I do have a nice buzz though.. Also what i like about this beer is the bottle design on the label..

09-06-2009 07:44:23 | More by beer348
katybee

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

golden brown translucent with quickly dissipating beige head; lightly carbonated

only lightest smell of flowery hops and light malt, with slight musky banana essence

tasted also slightly of banana essence, subtly sweet and only lightly hopped and malted; but predominantly bready toasted malt character with slightly musky yeasty aftertaste increasing upon warming to room temp. I would not call this a carmelly beer, compared to some stouts.

light to medium-bodied; subtle smoothness but slightly more character than average lager.

very similar to Fat Tire Amber Ale, but less foamy head. The slight banana esther was a plus to me, but otherwise it was only an average beer.

09-04-2011 03:30:57 | More by katybee
KarlHungus

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer pours a clear amber color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of light caramel, and not much else. The taste is similar to the aroma, but a little weaker. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a watery texture. Overall, this is a beer I pass on next time. It is simply too bland for my liking.

05-06-2011 03:18:35 | More by KarlHungus
Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.