Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Amber Alström Bros

Drk93TT, Yesterday at 11:17 PM
4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Another very smooth beer from Alaskan, no overpowering hops, just right on the hoppy side, enjoyable beer with a very slight honey aftertaste. A little high on the carbonation, a little above medium carbonation. I like medium carbonation, would have been a higher rating if the carbonation was lighter.

bottomfisher, Sunday at 02:18 AM

Robloc303, Sunday at 01:55 AM
4.5/5  rDev +24%

rvelectric, Sunday at 01:23 AM

Jonker1, Saturday at 01:05 AM
3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Nose: rich malt, some kettle sugars, not a lot of esters, faint alcohol
Pours crystal clear deep amber with 2" rocky off-white foam cap dissipates to a thick film
Palate begins with rich sweet malt and then it dries out near the finish with dry malt flavors and malt spiciness. Not a lot of fruity esters.
Medium body to slightly less, medium to a little above carbonation.

pat61, Thursday at 05:14 PM
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

I picked up a bottle of Alaskan Brewing Co.'s Alaskan Amber last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. Well I thought it was time for me to try some of this brewery's year round beers and I thought I would start off with the amber, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown shorter 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I like the design and I think i t's just a little eye catching. It poured a nice fairly clear amber color that took on more of a red/amber color when held to the light with just a little over two fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice and true to style looking beer.

S- The aroma starts off with higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, brown bread, caramel malt, toasted, and slight toffee like aromas. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a fruity yeast aroma with a apple juice like aroma coming through with no hoppy aromas. The aroma was nice and it seemed to be pretty true to style.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single malty aspect seeming to stick out the most. up next comes the fruity yeast which imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time it's lighter. On the finish there's no bitterness with a malty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that true to style.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of an Altbier, it had all the aspects that I would expect from the style and it had some nice balance with no off flavors. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, crisp, not filling and the taste did decent job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a few of these, especially in the fall. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was a straight up true example of an Altbier. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything about this beer that I disliked or would change. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Altbiers or malty beers in general. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was just what I expect from a good Altbier and nothing else. So far this is my favorite beer from this brewery and I think it's close to being one of the better Altbiers out there. Good job guys, this was a nice tasting Altbier, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Wednesday at 03:07 AM
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

BlueAndBrew, Wednesday at 12:32 AM
3.72/5  rDev +2.5%

Livendadream, Sep 07, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

MonkeyBread, Sep 07, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

After Finnegan's last night, I'm not sure this has the guts to stand up to my expectations for an Amber. But we shall see....won't we....

Edit : I guess this isn't an amber, it's only amber colored. So based on an "Altbier" which is a brown ale, Ill have to deduct the score a little more.

Serving style : 12 oz stubbie poured delicately into a chilled glass for appearance.

Appearance (4) : Copper colored dark amber body with a pleasantly malty looking two finger head. Leaves rings of lacing down the glass as it recedes slowly.

Smell (4) : Unsalted sunflower seeds, some toffee, yeasty aromas, fleshy plant. A little plumb. Roasted malts. A pleasant smell to my nose.

Taste (3.25) : A bit watery, ending a tad flat and oddly bitter. The body of the drink is good though, with heavy traditional amber lager flavors along with some toffee and those unsalted sunflower seeds. Oaty finish. It's not particularly tasty, as say, a Nordeast, or Finnegan's. However it is not making me scream running in the opposite direction. A strong 3.25.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : The body is creamy and rich on this one, but the front is watery and the end is rough and bleh. Like licking sandpaper and savoring the aftertaste. There's definitely something missing and it puts a hole in the whole mouthfeel.

Overall (3.53) : I'd drink it again but I wouldn't buy a six pack. If it were on tap and my other choices were not as good, I would choose Alaskan's Amber beer. I'm not sure if Alaskan considers themselves to be a "craft" beer, but as of now from what I've tried, I'd rate them only slightly better than Shock Top...

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Sep 07, 2014

mcrawford, Sep 04, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

ImagenSeinfeld, Sep 04, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The body has a very beautiful deep amber color with good clarity and lively carbonation flowing up the center of the glass. The quick pour made only a modest one finger tall head. This head was light tan in color and quick fading. This made for no lacing at all.

Smell: The aroma is very inviting surprisingly fruity. It brings notes of dark bready maltiness with dark fruit, dark cherries, plums and apple peels.

Taste / Palate: First up is a medium body mix of bready sweet maltiness blending with the same dark fruit notes from the the aroma. The finish adds notes of roasted almond and a mild balance of earthy dryness from hops. The palate feels smooth and somewhat slick.

generallee, Sep 03, 2014

bman266643, Sep 02, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Slight Begian taste, not wanted in an Alt.

jpwadd, Sep 02, 2014
Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.