Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Amber Alström Bros
homebrew311

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Recently went on an Alaskan cruise, and this brew was available everywhere. A welcome alternative to the all the macros that were available.

A: pours a nice clear amber, thin beige head

S; lots of biscuit malts followed by some sweetness provided by the crystal malts.

T: sweet up front followed by a notable bicuity malt profile, a decent hop bite on the finish. Pretty well balanced.

MF: smooth and refreshing, medium to high carbonation

D: great session beer for an Alaskan cruise. I wouldn't seek this out but I would never have a problem drinking it!

08-20-2010 23:49:39 | More by homebrew311
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

A minor review milestone, made better by the atmosphere at Moose's Saloon in Kalispell - dark, sawdusty, amazing 'za, and well, beer!

This beer appears a dark amber hue, with one finger of light beige head, with falls away quickly leaving some small specks of lace around the glass. It smells of crisp fruity malt, and mild caramel. The taste is fruit malt - apple, mostly, and soft earthy hops. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight and smooth. It finishes clean, and a bit sweet.

A simple, skewed ale, but in a good, drinkable way. Good malty stuff. I could see having a few of these in a sitting.

08-03-2010 05:42:06 | More by biboergosum
msubulldog25

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

A ubiquitous staple of Northwest beer culture for the better part of two decades, but one I have fairly infrequently and one Ive never reviewed. This one served and reviewed on a plane (Alaska Airlines, appropriately); we got a bump to first class, which earned a couple free bottles and some honest-to-god glassware (ok, an 8 oz. cocktail tumbler). Bottle dated 10.09.10 as a 'best by'.

A: Amber (what else?), tinted the slightest bit copper-orange. Modest carbonation but clear and deep; if solidified, I'd search for an embedded mosquito to extract dinosaur DNA from in my quest to create my own Juraissic Park (one that DOESN'T go horribly wrong this time...). Terrific head, a solid one-finger tuft of khaki fluff that dwindles to a thickened cream. Pretty lace, too, lagging in droopy bands.

S: Nutty sweetness and dessert-y baked bread, a malt-forward scent with just enough dried-grass hops for a reasonable balance.

T: Medium roast on the grain, a nut-filled, caramel-rich mouthful. Not as sweet as expected, just a nice balancing dry/spicy breadiness, rye-like. Hints a berry fruit, though nothing discernable. Low bitterness overall.

M: Crisp feel at first with a fine sprinkling of fizz, then a mellowed smoothness. Not heavy-bodied, though just a tad on the sticky/malty side in the finish.

D: Yes, yes it is (drinkable). I'm not rushing out to buy cases, but I was told by the owners of Liquid Solutions (before their sad demise) that at one time folks from 'back east' bought this beer by the truckload - it was a sizeable chunk of their mail-order business. I can see the validity, a very tasty beer I need to add to the mix more often. Recommended.

07-30-2010 21:40:02 | More by msubulldog25
dgilks

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Rich, sweet, bready aroma with plenty of melanoidins.

Hazy, deep amber colour with a small, 1-finger, off-white head. Poor head retention.

Sweet and bready. Lots of toffee and melanoidin. Hints of fruit.

Medium body with moderately-high carbonation.

Rich, rounded flavour but just a little bit cloying and overly gassy.

07-26-2010 09:15:53 | More by dgilks
gkunkle

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours amber with an average head. Smells malty. Has a malty and toasty taste with a little bit of hops. The feel is soft, not very carbonated. Overall, I would drink this again, but i wouldn't seek it out. It would be fine for drinking with the boys, but there are other, more common beers that I enjoy more

07-25-2010 22:51:02 | More by gkunkle
sitarist

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Did this beer as a blind review in the blind beers bif.

Pours a burnt orange color with amber highlights, it is mainly clear with some tiny bubbles rising. The head is off white and about 1/2", it falls quickly to nothing.

I smell some light fruits, honey, its very malty, with some alcohol coming through. The scents are subdued, well blended, and quite hard for me to pick out.

I taste nuts, toffee, a little earthiness, moss, honey and the faintest hint of bitterness.

Medium body, wet, barely any carbonation.

Not something Id go out of my way for but good. There are no bad flavors, its not to high in alcohol, and not too heavy.

07-22-2010 01:05:22 | More by sitarist
soju6

Missouri

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Served a clear amber color with a decent head and some lacing.

S: Roasted grain & malt with a hint of sweetness.

T: Light malt flavor with a slight sweetness that continues to a mild bitterness and a dry finish.

F: Moderate body that is smooth and well balanced.

D: Very enjoyable and good when having more than one. This is one of my go to beers when working in Alaska.

07-18-2010 12:58:33 | More by soju6
DovaliHops

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours an almost-clear, amber color with a great off-white (almost tan) head. The scent is unique...with a little bit of sour notes...also get some sweet malts and very little hops...The aromas do not blend that great, but they blend fairly well. The taste is definitely not what the scent leads you to assume. Immediately a get some sweet malts and some candy sugars...maybe a bit of prunes or other dark fruits. Then it just mellows out like crazy...kinda becomes watered down. Not very much hoppiness to this brew. The mouthfeel is descent. A bit on the light side. This is a great session beer in my opinion. And I know if this was a forum post, that annoying guy, Ding, would say this isn't a session beer,,, But I see this as a good session beer.

07-13-2010 08:46:19 | More by DovaliHops
unclejimbay

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Alaskan Amber (Altbier)
ABV: 5.30 %, tried Saison brew day 7/10/10
bottle>duvel glass

Thanks courtesy of olympuszymurgus advanced trade. My first Alt to date, been trying to track one down.

Appearance is copper in color, impressive clarity, satisfactory head & retention.
Nice clean and mild malty aroma.
Tastes as it smells, seems like a nice Munich and Caramel malt profile. Mellow but appropriatte noble hop support.
Medium in body and medium+ carbonation.
Drinkability is a solid 4.0, enjoyable and lived up to my style expectations as my first Altbier. Cheers to Alskan Brewing! seem slike a nice mellow Marzen like ALe version.

07-12-2010 16:57:28 | More by unclejimbay
appenzeller

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Pours a red amber hue, thin head. Scented with sweet malts, caramel, subtle. Taste is predominantly sweet malts with breadiness. Minimal hops evident. Not really my favorite style, this is still a good beer with quality malts and good balance for what it is. For whatever reason, Alaska brewing seems to have ridden to success on the back of this beer and while it doesn't bowl me over, it's a nice alt that's especially satisfying on a cold dreary day.

07-12-2010 04:57:09 | More by appenzeller
jsprain1

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

A- solidly amber, quite clear with a thin head that bears some good lacing.
S- Toasted grain, and just a hint of piney hops.
T- A bit malty opening up, but as it moves through the pallet it reveals some hop presence. very balanced. no flavor drastically outplays another.
M- Crisp carbonation. on the light side but tastefully so.
D- Overall, just a well rounded beer that is easy to drink. particularly a good summertime brew. all in all, it's a good go to beer, that I have found to be a great compliment to grill out foods.
last edit: 7/23/10

07-11-2010 06:56:12 | More by jsprain1
KazikliBey

Montana

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

About one half inch head when poured into a frosted heavy beer mug. Head had a beige tint and lasted about 30 seconds. Liquid has a clear amber color and a malt yeast odor. Taste was not bad yet not anything spectacular.

Over-all an average brew. I'm not knocking this product but not impressed.

07-06-2010 18:35:24 | More by KazikliBey
beertunes

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

This a fairly typical example of the style all around. A nice brownish-amber color with an inch of tan head. A slightly sweet malt aroma with just a trace of hop scents. A biscuity, malty taste. Medium, leaning toward light, body. And decent drinkability. I rarely seek this beer out, but it's a reliable stand-by (along with Fat Tire and Mac & Jacks Amber) that's available even in the most redneck, logger, farmer bars around here. If your friends like the BMC products, you can happily drink this whenever you're with them.

06-24-2010 20:48:06 | More by beertunes
JosiahS

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. An aggressive pour revealed a 2 finger pillow-like head that did fade a little more quickly than I would have liked. Color is copper and pretty clear.

Smell is of toasty caramel malts. It's sweet and tart with just a little hops present.

The taste is no different from the aroma. It has a nice toasty flavor with some sweetness, just the faintest of graham cracker and a nice mild hop flavor and bitterness to finish.

Mouthfeel is soft and light, carbonation is relatively low.

Highly drinkable, very mild, refreshing and sessionable. It's not the most complex alt/amber but it's well-balanced and very quaff-able!

06-14-2010 00:08:59 | More by JosiahS
PintOHops

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

Glass - Pint

A - A highly carbonated, clear amber with a 1-2 finger off white head. Retention is decent, no lacing left, a nice ring held throughout consumption though.

S - Citric & herbal hop qualities, beneath I get a bit of toast & faint caramel, a touch of biscuit. There's a semi bright plum in there as well, that seems be pronounced as it warms.

T - A bit of biscuit with soft honey & caramel notes, unfolding into plum and citric hop flavors. Finishes with lingering hop flavors & plum, very mild bitterness, very well balanced, nothing really pops out here.

M - Lite-moderately carbonated and very smooth. Lite-medium bodied but more so medium.

D - This one is a quaff brew, I could easily tear into a six pack of this beer. I liked it, nothing wowing but I liked the balance and drinkability of it. I don't think I'd buy this one again, I'd rather go for a Brown, or a Red, not bad though.

06-14-2010 00:08:54 | More by PintOHops
kels

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to colts9016 for this one - cheers!

Pours a nice toasty red-brown with moderate visibility and soft carbonation. The initial 1 finger creamy tan bubbly head fades to a soft skim and leaves behind little bits of spitty lace.

Light toasty maltiness with a hint of caramel in the nose just barely qualifies as aroma. Subtle, nice.

Taste starts out very toasty and crisp - full of malty graininess. As it progresses, it becomes increasingly sweet in an artificial saccharine-like way that's not necessarily bad. It's sticky and a little nutty. Feel is initially creamy, but the fast-fading carbonation leaves it feeling a little thin overall. Finish is slightly sticky.

06-04-2010 01:25:46 | More by kels
UCLABrewN84

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Pours a clear amber color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a small cap. There is a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S - Smells of sweet malts and an unidentifiable fruity smell.

T - Tastes of toasty malts and sweet fruits.

M - Good carbonation makes for a smooth drinking beer.

D - Very good beer with a tasty fruit essence. I would get this one again.

05-30-2010 07:01:12 | More by UCLABrewN84
emmasdad

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours the color of rusty pennies, with some moderate dirty white foam. Somewhat nutty on the nose, with sweet malt and caramel aromas. Fairly thin bodied, with some caramel flavors and a crisp finish. Overall, this beer is too one-dimensional for me; some hoppiness would have been nice.

05-26-2010 02:53:45 | More by emmasdad
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

4.43/5  rDev +22%

I have fond memories of this beer, on tap many years ago (before BA was around), at the Chena Hot Springs Resort up in Alaska, I wonder if they still have it?

Anyway, I saw it at Pay and Take in Flagstaff, while checking out their beer fridges and grabbed a bottle to be drank in the windless sunspot they have outside.

I am a big fan of Alt beers (even if they aren't brewed in Dusseldorf). This one doesn't let the style down one iota.

Looked good, that reddish tint to its clear body, on top sat the regular tanned/off-white head most Alts have.

The smell was mildly malty, as it should be and the taste was just perfect for the first beer of my 2nd 'allocated drinking days' during our US road tour.

Really pleased to have re-found this beer, most likely be years before we are reaquainted, a great pity because it is a well made beer in a style many brewers find difficult to produce (outside the Dusseldorf area).

05-25-2010 11:53:08 | More by BlackHaddock
bump8628

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Tawny amber with a loose, foamy head that really retains well.

Medium caramel and faint toastiness battle it out with and gain dominance over a spicy, tobacco-like hop flavor. Some sweetness and a mild tannic bitterness linger for a second before giving away to the clean, medium-dry finish.

Decent all-around, but not something I would go too far out of my way for.

05-21-2010 18:40:22 | More by bump8628
Phelps

Arizona

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

Light ruddy reddish-brown. Nice big puffy head of light khaki. Perfectly clear and chock full of minuscule bubbles.

In the nose: grainy. Light caramel malt, sourdough. Subtle piney hops. Strawberries.

In the taste: nice and sweet. Maybe some dark fruit? Bready cereal grains, balanced with a smidgen of hoppiness. As I let it warm, the malts show more presence.

Medium mouthfeel, bright carbonation.

Alaskan Amber has long been one of my go-to beers, and this tasting reveals why. Not overly exciting in any way, but affordable and solid for what it is.

04-27-2010 08:14:26 | More by Phelps
iuhophead87

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bottle shipped from Colorado. Thanks Graff!

Although Ambers were the first style of beer that got me into craft beer, it is no longer my style. That being said, I will do my best reviewing this beer.

A- Pours a clear rusty amber. An off white head does form that leaves the glass very clean as it dissipates.

S- Not much to smell with this beer. A little malty even less hops.

T- I will say that I am a little more impressed than what I pictured from the smell. This is a very balanced beer with roasty malts and a somewhat bitter finish. I would have probably enjoyed this much more at the beginning of my craft beer journey.

MF- Mild carbonation and sugary after taste

D-This is a very drinkable beer. A little to malty for a hot summer day, but something that would go down great in the fall. In fact this is better than most alt/amber beers I've had. I could drink many of these if they were available in Indiana.

I enjoyed this beer and am glad I was able to try it. I've only had two other beers by this brewer and the others have impressed me more than this. However, it is one of the best alt/ambers I have tried.

04-09-2010 01:03:13 | More by iuhophead87
honeybrewer

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.
Is a nice amber color with a rich creamy head that only lasts a minute or so.
Smells very mildly of hops.
Tastes is fairly well balanced, with the hops perhaps coming out a little ahead. There is also a malty sweetness that, while not at all overwhelming, seems to hang out on the back of my tounge, not entirely pleasant.
Low carbonation is just about right.
Overall, a pretty fair beer, but nothing special.

04-08-2010 02:05:52 | More by honeybrewer
kyleg

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

This beer poured with a brilliant deep amber, the appearance was perfect! Nice head retention to start with and it lasted all the way to the end. The nice malty, creamy, chewy mouth feel this beer provides is my reason for this review. An enjoyable session beer for sure.

This beer is very true to this "old" beer style. One of the best American interpretations of a German beer I've had. I would certainly drink this beer again.

03-27-2010 21:12:33 | More by kyleg
twiggamortis420

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

12 oz bottle with a stamp of A01122110, not sure how to decode that one. Pours a mildly hazed copper color with an average sized, light tan foam. Retention and lacing are both just ok.

Nose is nutty, caramely and toffee. Pretty good with a mild sweetness and hint of toasty bitterness. Biscuity smelling brew and not much in the way of hops.

Mmmm, this is quite a tasty amber, which is far from my favorite style. The biscuity and toffee malts are the main show with some background notes of honey, toast and grassy hops. Good, creamy mouthfeel with an ample amount of carbonation. Label says "Alt-style ale", but to me this tastes much more like an American amber ale although there are some similarities. Maybe that is why I am liking it more than most ambers I have had. I am impressed with this one although I have yet to be disappointed by the few Alaskan offerings I have had.

03-21-2010 18:08:55 | More by twiggamortis420
Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.