Alaskan Amber - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan AmberAlaskan Amber

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Richly malty and long on the palate, with just enough hop backing to make this beautiful amber colored "alt" style beer notably well balanced.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Amber Alström Bros
Reviews: 580 | Hads: 1,710
3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Venice Ale House, Venice, CA

A: The beer is clear dark reddish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that left lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of grainy and toasted malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is relatively malty and has flavors of toasted malts with notes of grain. No sweetness is perceptible. There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite malty but there are enough underlying hops so it isn't rendered undrinkable. It doesn't seem to have all of the complexity as German altbiers. (713 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought a single the other day from an Albertsons grocery store nearby. I have had such an ongoing problem with the beer being out of code. This one is also slightly out of code. I will review it anyway. I bought this beer five days past the code date.

Poured form a 12 oz. brown bottle with the freshness code clearly printed on the label (9/25/13) into a pint glass and I get 1 1/2 fingers of head.

A: Pours a dark brown, slightly red color with a 1 1/2 finger head that dissipates very fast to leave just a ring around the top of the glass that lasts to the end. Virtually no lacing.

S: Some light malts. That's about it.

T: Sweet malt balanced by a bitterness. Gets me in the front of my tongue and in the back.

M: Medium bodied and carbonation. Goes down alright.

O: Nothing really special here. It's not too sweet and not too bitter. Better than a lot of beer out there but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. (925 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-copper yet c;ear with off white head
S- heavy malt with a hint of hops
T-sweet malty taste with a slight bitter aftertaste that finishes with a carmel taste
M-moderate carbonation that made this beer smooth
O- after I finished this beer it felt like I had just eated a Rolo good beer (285 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Taste-This Amber Ale, has a caramel apple taste. The hops play a minor yet important role. This beer isn't to sweet. This was a bit better than I expected.

Appearance - A nice copper colored beer. Not cloudy. The head had a slight reddish hue but it didn't stick around to long. Minimal lacing.

Smell - Malty. Sweet. (319 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Alaskan Amber is a solid representation of the style with its malt forward, semi-sweet approach. The beer pours beautifully, with a thick two finger head and a dark copper color. The head does not persist long, but there is good lacing.

The smell is a bit of a disappointment, as there's not a lot exploding at the nose. Instead, you get sweetness and caramel or toffee tones coming in very subtly. As for the taste, the beer comes alive a bit more, as the malts become more pronounced and the hops emerge a bit more to offer a tinge of dryness and bitterness.

This beer is a winner as an everyday beer. Given that six packs are going for $7 in my neck of the woods, you really can't beat the bang for your buck. It's tasty, easy-drinking and smooth. This is an easy choice for showing up at a party with a small, cheap offering. (884 characters)

Overall a pretty average amber ale. A tab bit bitter and not unique by any means but a decent choice given limited selection (as out here in the Northwest it is a pretty common beer even at places that only have a few choices). Amber in color and I saw another poster mention cheerios when describing the smell and color...actually I think that is pretty spot on so I will go with that. I generally drink out of a bottle...drank at my wedding due to limited beer choices (no kegs allows, only bottles, only bottles the venue carried)... (536 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Alaskan Amber Alt Style Ale: Appearance: amber; Smell: multi-grain Cheerios; T: wheat Cheerios, very slight bitterness; decent

I was quite surprised by the Cheerios them going on with this one.

Poured into a pint glass. (271 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. Poured into a pilsner "8-ball" pool ball glass (I have the whole set of 15 glasses). Pours a pretty copper/bronze in color with really no head to speak of. Just a bit of lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is of just some malt/hops. The taste was actually very pleasant with a slight nutty hint. Very smooth with no bitter aftertaste. Never had this style of brew before and liked it overall. (440 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thick creamy head was the first thing I noticed. Not a bad beer. Less flavorful than I expected. I would buy again if selection was limited. Overall a slightly better than okay beer. good color. decent aroma. A beer you could have multiples of at one sitting. (259 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don not think I ever had this style of beer but it surprise with taste and quality.

Appearance : It is copper color produces a really thick and nice an fluffy head.

Smell : Malty and I was not expecting many hops

Taste : It has a hit with malts and some carbonation. Great tasting dark beer for some getting into craft beer,

Mouthfeel: Medium Carbonation has appears to have in the glass, It does have a really nice finish. It finishes sweet and then begins to dry as you swallow.
I am impressed with this beer. This makes me want to grab a few more these amber beer. (577 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Very nice copper/red hue. Mild carbonation which dissipates quickly leaving light lacing. Very clear.

S: Malt. No detectable hop aroma.

T: Malty, but not too sweet, finishes with mild hop bitterness. Sweetness lingers on the tongue

M: Medium Bodied

O:Nice representation of the style. I am not a huge amber fan, but I did enjoy this beer. (345 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

Nice looking pour with a surprisingly light colored foamy head. Clear burnt orange appearance is also pretty pleasant. Nose is mainly nutty before the maltiness takes ovee, with the taste strictly following the nose's lead. The taste initially bares a nuttiness that ever so briefly presents a faint banana essence before the malts overwhelm all else. Finish is "blech" with a cloying sweetness. Pretty high level of carbonation here as wwll. Overall, this is fairly average. (475 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While on a cruise in Alaska, visited the brewery, and sampled all of the beers on the tour. The Amber was my second favorite. Brewed with no preservatives, so can not get in New England.

A: Pours an amber color, 1 finger head that does not last long.

S: Malty smell, very pleasant.

T: Malty taste with a slight bitterness, and aftertaste to it.

M: Some carbonation, and aftertaste that lingers on.

O: Above average beer, but I like the Alaskan IPA better. (464 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a rich amber with almost no head. What head formed was an off-white. It got the amber part down, but it's nothing too special. Scents of sweet malt, bubblegum and slight banana. Pleasant, matches well with the flavor, but again, nothing too special. Flavors of sweet malt, a little bit of toffee and a slight nutty flavor on the finish. Pretty nice, similar to a brown ale, but with a slightly more German flavor profile. Hop character is low, but is present, balancing the sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Good for a session beer. Overall I'd say it's a pretty good beer. I can see this being a good session ale. (652 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

Smell - Malty. Sweet. Root beer. This beer has a nice nose.

Taste - Malty. Sweet. Taffy. Nice carbonation. The hops play a minor yet important role.

Mouth - Fizzy. Fresh. Slightly oil.

Overall - A nice Amber. The beer is friendly but a little lacking in character. (462 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Alaskan Amber has a thin, khaki head, a semi-clear, bubbly, amber appearance, and basically no lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, caramel candy or toffee and brown bread crust. Taste is of those as well, and this beer has a mild underlying bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium and somewhat slick, and Alaskan Amber has a mostly dry, easy going and easy-drinking finish. Overall, this is really nice, and I rate it rather highly. Get some!

RJT (455 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Becker pint after about 15 minutes out of the fridge at room temp.

Pours a deep red/amber with good clarity. 1 finger off-white head dissipates very quickly.

Big roasty grain aromas, caramel, raisins, medium hops.

Taste is slightly sweet, prominent caramel malts, with a decent hop bite to balance it out.

Medium bodied with pleasant viscosity, but the carbonation is just too much when i go in for the 'swish'.

Overall a very good beer, but the carbonation kind of detracts from it for me. Digging the aroma and flavor, but the bubbles are a bit too intense. (580 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a clean and beautiful caramel to deep orange with a quick to disappear head and no lacing to speak of.
S: loads of malt, fruit and bread billow out of my pint glass. Caramel and toffee notes are accompanied by hints of apple and perhaps pear. Not much on the hop scale.
T: extremely malty with hints of, you guesses it, caramel, toffee and bread. You can pick up the fruit at the front but its most prevalent in the middle. Apples and pears can be confirmed. Just a kiss of hops in the back.
M: medium bodied with lower carbonation than expected. Smooth and creamy. Pleasant finish.
O: I really enjoy altbiers as they blend the best of ales and lagers together. This is a tad too sweet and I would to have seen a bit more of the lager side to quell the sweetness. Not bad at all though. (796 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Today's beer is boring. It's from a brewing company I haven't been impressed with, and it is a boring style. Of course, I didn't realize the history behind the recipe. That is what makes this blog fun. Nothing beats learning about beers, brewing companies, and styles. THAT is why this blog will never get boring for me. Sure, there will be a day we run out of beer… but that is a long time from now, and a challenge I will happily accept.

I haven't had an amber in a while. One that comes to mind is the Prescott amber ale. They only can, but it's a pretty drive getting there. I will give the Alaskan Amber a chance… not like I have a choice! Oh, and later we are going to be drinking (not reviewing) four beers from Sam Adams. They are just sitting in the fridge starring at me. It's time I consume them!

In the Glass: This beer has a nice rich copper color to it and produces a really thick head for such a drinkable beer. You know, I am not sure I have ever tried this one. Regardless, if I have had it, it wasn't that memorable. The beer, as I swirl it in the glass, also continues to produce a nice fluffy head.

Nose: We are drinking this cold, but the nose is powerful and is filled with malty goodness. I am not expecting many hops here. As we start to plan the breweries we will feature in our book (title coming soon), I have to imagine we will pick the Alaskan Brewing Company to feature in Alaska. I just want to see it. Oh, and the glacier, too!

A second sniff is offering the same powerful malty aromas that I was getting on my first sniff.

Flavor: While this beer is boring, it does have a lot of flavor. At first, you are hit with malts and some subtle carbonation. Then, as you swallow, while the flavor quickly fades, it does produce some nice drying flavors. Like I said, I didn't have very high expectations of this beer. I am happily impressed. I don't recommend swishing this around in your mouth. The bubbles become overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Considering how much carbonation the beer appears to have in the glass, there really isn't that much on the palate. I would LOVE to see this beer barrel aged. It reminds me, a little, of the Bigfoot mouthfeel. Does anyone know if Alaskan ages any of their beers? I bet there are some good whiskeys made up there in the mountains!

Aftertaste: The tasting notes said the aftertaste was quick, and while it doesn't last for five minutes, it does have a really nice finish. It finishes somewhat sweet (from the malts) and then begins to dry as you swallow. I bet this would be a great food beer. I imagine pairing this with some burgers or some BBQ. Speaking of BBQ, Sheryl went to a BBQ festival last weekend. Maybe she will discuss her experience here on the blog.

I didn't have high expectations going in, but I am leaving the Alaskan Amber very impressed. This makes me want to grab a few more ambers to compare. This original recipe is from 1900… I don't think this beer will age that long! Cheers, everyone. (2,995 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: a copper/rust color with a very small foam head that dissipates quickly.

S: salty water I guess.

T: the taste isn't bad, at first it tastes bready and beery for lack of a better word. It leaves you with a really nice sweet malt aftertaste though.

M: not much carbonation. Nice consistency. Goes down easily.

O: I like it, I'd drink it again. Nothing special at all, but I do enjoy the sweet malt taste of it. (415 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Had on tap at Elliots in Seattle. Nice frozen glass. Outside of the glass, I was very underwhelmed. Copper appearance, no head, little lacing. I smelled...and smelled...nothing. A malty chemically type of taste. Went down well, more of a large consumer type of taste which is fine if I can get 30 of them for $20. I was expecting more, don't know why. Hate writing reviews like this, but this disappointed. (406 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A pinkish red amber in color, thin pinkish white head, left quickly,
S sweet malty, hint of salty
T sweet, bready, "beery"
M lots of carbonation, malty bready after taste lingers in roof of mouth.
O Pretty standard/vanilla (un-unique) amber, not too special, but not bad. Had on tap at the Big Fish in Grapevine Texas. (319 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours an amber color with a thin 1 finger head. Head goes away quickly. Not a lot else to say, looks like an amber.

S: Malty on the nose, slight sweet caramel. Takes a bit to warm up and unleash the aroma.

T: Sweet malty taste. Goes down quick and easy. Surprisingly has a bit of a bitter taste as well.

M: Medium bodied and carbonation. Has a resiny aftertaste.

O: Very solid above average amber, interesting to have every once in a while. Easy drinking beer, great session beer. Having only one on the day, I'd reach for something a little more interesting. (611 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +32.9%

Alaskan Amber is a perennial favourite of mine. A smooth, copper colored ale; heavy on the malt with just enough hop to cleanse the palette from the sweetness. Definitely NOT a "lawnmower" beer, but mild enough to drink plenty in a session. This is another great choice for the milder fall and cooler winter sessions at the pub or in front of the fire at home. One issue I have had with this beer is an omnipresent flaw of the pub to want to serve it cold. This beer suffers greatly from a cold pour, as the floral complexities are completely lost. If you are tasting this beer for the first time, do yourself the favour of letting the bottle stand 5-10 minutes out of refrigeration before pouring, then pour slowly and with the glass tipped as you normally would. The head on this style beer should be low, as the carbonation should be as well. If you have a home draught beer system, set it no less than 45F and I recommend tapping into a pitcher and serving from there, as I have found that helps the head to seem creamier.

Alaskan Amber pairs well with hearty beef dishes, and I enjoy it with any dish which you might pair with a red wine. If I could find a fault with with this beer, it would be the flaw in most/all bottled offerings; that of metallic force carbonation. This is my default bottled beer favourite, as here in California, due to a great distribution network, we can often get it for less than $12/12 pack! Someone show me a better $1 ale!!!

This is a good choice for an American made amber ale without the overbearing hop profile which the west coast has imposed on the style. it compares well with British pale, ESB or German Alt beers in flavour and food pairing. If you have tried it in the past, and were "unimpresesed", try it again properly served. You'll be glad you did!! (1,802 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours reddish brown with fast white foam. Quick dissolving. Bubbles active. Toffee forward nose, caramel. Light malt - watery. Feels kind of hollow, like some flavor profile is missing. Mild hop, little bite at the finish. Cloying. Had hoped for more. (301 characters)

Alaskan Amber from Alaskan Brewing Co.