Alaskan Winter Ale - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Winter AleAlaskan Winter Ale

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Old Ale |  6.40% ABV

Brewed in the style of an English Olde Ale, this ale balances the sweet heady aroma of spruce tips with the clean crisp finish of noble hops. Its malty richness is complemented by the warming sensation of alcohol.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Winter Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Apperance: Very Christmasy red-orange hue. Good thickness as well and crystalline carbonation. Nice layer of foam. I will give high points since it fits the season.

Smell: Very malty as I recall. Honestly don't remember much about this. It was good though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very peppery, with a nice fruity balance. Mostly dark fruit. Maybe some cinnamon here? Overall hop bitterness is a bit unnecessary due to the pepper.

Drinkability: Good beer that I wish I could find again.

tjsdomer2, Jan 13, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

This one is weird. Like many others, I couldn't pin down the aroma. I was out and about and didn't care to be bothered smelling it for 10 minutes so I dove in. Really enjoyed the sweet spucy taste to it. Definitely different. I'll have it again if I see it on tap, but I won't go out of my way for it.

stealth, Jan 12, 2012

CWhite, Jan 10, 2012

chuckgfk, Jan 10, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a bottle into a central waters pint glass.

About an inch of light creamy head which sustained about an eight of an inch and bubbled vigorously from the bottom.

Great amber color. Very clear

Smell was light and crisp with a bit of toffee and caramel

Taste was also crisp malt with some dark toffee and good malt/hops balance

Mouthfeel was smooth and light.

adrock7309, Jan 08, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Having had the barleywine and smoked porter from Alaskan, I was a little surprised that I liked this one best. The other Alaskan had a strange oily note that I did not like. This beer did not have that.

The beer started with a biscuity aroma and presented a copper color. The initial taste was a surprising sour flavor. This lemon flavor was a surprise for a winter ale. The sourness stays on the tongue nicely to the finish. It is smooth without a bothersome level of carbonation. Though pleasing, the beer is a little one-dimensional in terms of the flavor.

JohnnyHopps, Jan 07, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Tried this when the Four Firkins was pouring it, and decided it was worth having a bottle. Says best before 14 April 2012. Sweet.

Pours a very clear, medium golden orange. Bright colors, and thin streams of bubbles rising through the glass give it some life. One finger of yellowish head, faded pretty fast, left okay lacing.

Smell is hard to pin down, but interesting. Light sweet caramel malts, overlain by something that feels familiar but I can't quite pin a name on. A faint resiny aroma like pine sap (from the spruce, I assume), but that doesn't fully describe it. It's bright and green, if a smell can be green.

Taste is good, and unique in the same way the smell is, but a little less so. A little sweetness from the malts, and a gin-like spicy evergreen flavor. Where the smell was green, the flavor is most definitely blue. Cool, and very different.

Medium-light body, with carbonation that dances on the tongue, and comes back again and again, bringing new waves of "what-is-this?"

This beer is enigmatic. A light-bodied, sprucy old ale? The elements combine well, forming something that I enjoy, but have a hard time describing. It's malty, kinda, and spicy, kinda, and good all around.

zeledonia, Jan 07, 2012

nsmartell, Jan 07, 2012

laymansbeerfan, Jan 06, 2012

minneapolitanjim, Jan 06, 2012

videofrog, Jan 05, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +19%

Best by 3/26/12.

Pours a clear honey orange with a 1 inch puffy orange-white head that settle to a film on the top of the beer. Small dots of lace drip down into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of sweet malt, malt powder, caramel, toffee, and a distinct banana aroma. Taste is of sweet malt, caramel, toffee, banana, and a certain herbal quality that I will attribute to the spruce tips used in the brewing of this beer. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and has a toasty quality. This beer has a nice level of carbonation with a crisp and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that I enjoyed quite a lot. I had this one before and I don't remember liking it all that much. I am glad I picked up another bottle to revisit.

UCLABrewN84, Jan 05, 2012

sobapan, Jan 02, 2012

hannaho, Jan 02, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a wine glass.

A - Pours a translucent amber with a white head that disipates rapidly, leaving a small collar of foam. Nominal lacing - doesn't appear to be overly carbonated as far as I can tell.

S - This guy has a strong malty aroma, with a touch of piney hops.

T - This taste is fairly smooth, with a strong malt component blended with a touch of hops and pine. Not too complex, but the strong malt profile holds this one up.

M - Feels a touch on the light side; I was hoping for amore medium bodied brew, but this ended up not quite meeting those expectation.

O - Overall, not too bad. I'm glad I had this while I'm home for the holidays, because as far as I know, I can't get Alaska Brewing out in Nebraska.

lawlerj, Dec 29, 2011

americanbelgian, Dec 28, 2011

ShwarzAl3r, Dec 26, 2011

ATADakaCHAD, Dec 25, 2011

ChuckStingray, Dec 24, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

served in a pint glass, smell is muted but pleasant. nice orange-yellow clear beer.

pous out a nice winter-white 1-inch head.

real cold and you don't get the best this has to offer; let it warm and the spruce tips aroma comes out to greet you !

nothing special about the mouthfeel, normal. I liked the nos eand taste better when it warmed.

stouts4me, Dec 23, 2011

weerezboy, Dec 22, 2011

ponbon63, Dec 22, 2011

sneekee22, Dec 22, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

rust in color with a small white head. minimal retention not leaving any lacing on the glass

decent aroma some caramel, fruits spices, and hints of the srpuce tips used.

mildly flavored not picking much up, candy(caramel i believe). overall of the flavor it does remind me of a winter type beer

medium carbonation leaves the mouth watery, light bodied

overall- there wasn't much to the taste, yet it was easy to drink and worth the $1.48 for a 12oz at 6.4%

rtaps, Dec 16, 2011

burnheartsMKE, Dec 16, 2011
Alaskan Winter Ale from Alaskan Brewing Co.