Alaskan Winter Ale - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Winter AleAlaskan Winter Ale

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Old Ale |  6.40% ABV

Brewed in the style of an English Olde Ale, this ale balances the sweet heady aroma of spruce tips with the clean crisp finish of noble hops. Its malty richness is complemented by the warming sensation of alcohol.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Winter Ale Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

This is quite the alluring beer -- pours an attractive coppery/brass color, with a small head and tight carbonation. Tastes like many other winter warmers -- however, the bottle says it is brewed with spruce tips, and I this characteristic comes through, I think, not as woodsy or piney as I would have expected, but almost like a reaspberry fruitiness. In fact, this reminds me alot of the flavor of Berkshire Brewing's Raspberry Strong Ale - though not quite as malty, sweet, and raspberry filled. It has a good crisp snappy hop finish that keeps it dry enough to avoid a cloying flavor. A winter warmer that I would certainly enjoy a few pints of in the winter if it were available near me.

bultrey, Oct 31, 2005
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I wonder if something went wrong with this individual batch or six-pack of beer, because others review this beer favorably. I’ll try it again, but I didn’t have a good experience with this one. And I like Alaskan brewery.

The beer poured amber colored with an offwhite, one finger head with light retention and light lacing. The smell was yeasty and grainy and not a whole lot else. The taste was somewhat nutty and focused on the malts, but was overly grainy like cheap adjuncts had been used. There were hints of light citrus. The average-length finish ended with a slightly sour taste. The mouthfeel was carbonated and medium-bodied and somewhat watery. I cannot recommend this beer after this tasting.

xoqx, Oct 30, 2005

Orange amber with a smooth off-white, cream-of-wheat-like head.
Aroma is spicy malt with vanilla and eggnog.
Tastes great. Mildly sweet. Like a spicy candy with a delicate touch of malts and some nice winter hops. Spruced up with cinnamon. So brisk and relaxing. Definitely something to look forward to every Winter.

grindcore666, Oct 27, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

A huge thanks to beernut7 for this bottle...
Pours a clear bronze color w/ a full finger and a half or tan head w/ a gentle pour...lacing is tight and goes nowhere.
Aroma packed w/ vanilla, caramel, sweet malt and a definite spice to it...says its brewed w/ spruce tips...smells simply fantastic.
The taste is one juicy-fruit of a brew...served damn near room temperature and this one has such an incredible flavor. A nice addition of hops, but by no means bitter.
Mouthfeel is a bit thicker than average...drinkability is quite high, in fact...it doesn't really quench the thirst, it pulls you in to drink more and more. Alcohol is real well hidden to the very last sip.
By far, the best winter I have experienced and I would really enjoy this one during the winter months...trade anyone?

warriorsoul, Jun 29, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

I decided to try this after seeing Alaskan on an episode of Thirsty Traveler. I've enjoyed their Amber for quite a while, but never tried any others. I do enjoy a spruce beer, however, so this seemed interesting even though I don't always go in for the "winter warmers" (its April, for God's sake!).
I did enjoy this in that its clarity was finer than I had expected, like a slightly burnt bock with more carbonation.
The nose gave away some of the spruce tips, though the taste was more straight ahead hoppy pale ale with just a hint of sappy-coat malt.
The beer was medium bodied, also not what I had expected from a winter beer as of yet, and had a bit more concentrated alco-bite than I expected, considering that it is not overwhelmingly alcoholic.
Very drinkable, very agreeable beer for the style indeed.

unklesyd, Apr 20, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

My brother and I drove a 25 foot moving truck across the country from Seattle to Boston in January. It was cold, snowy, icy, and a few times we had to make some stops and detours to get around the storms. This beer helped.

We bought a couple six-packs in Seattle so that we'd have something good to look forward to at the end of each long day of driving (no, none was partaken during the actual driving).

It pours a nice amber color - not as dark as some Winter ales. There's just the slightest cloudy aspect. You can smell the essence of spruce tips in there.

The flavor starts right off with a sort of evergreen/apricot, then settles down into an open, dryish malt character. Finally the bitterness of the hops eases in. For me, this beer makes me think about the evergreen forests near the tree-line in the Cascade mountains.

Overall a very nice beer. Just what I would expect from Alaskan.

FirstMan, Apr 14, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Alaskan's Winter Ale pours a slightly hazy copper body with amber and gold highlights beneath a short head of creamy ivory foam that unfortunately fades rather shortly and leaves little lacing. The nose offers gentle wafts of sweetish, biscuity, caramel-laced malt; and in the mouth it's delicately crisp and then smooth. The flavor delivers the same maltiness found in the nose, balanced by a mild brush of drying spruce that appears across the middle and lingers mildly in the finish. It's bitterness is restrained, and the spicing is far from overdone. Well worth trying!

NeroFiddled, Mar 19, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

A clean bright coppery amber beer. Has a small biege head. The aroma is a light malt with a hint of a fruity sweetness in the background. The flavor starts out with a quick spiciness that moves right into a malt sweetness. the finish has some interesting toffee and licorice notes to hug your tongue at the end.

ybnorml, Mar 16, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Bright orangey copper capped by a generous, fluffysoft head that is somewhere between pastel tangerine and light beige. Thanks to a lively amount of carbonation, it doesn't look as if the head will fall any time soon. I don't have great expectations for lacing, but one never knows (note: thin, uncommitted, random scraps in the end).

The nose is sweet and somewhat hoppy. On second thought, might I be smelling the spruce tips and assuming that it's hops? The aroma isn't quite strong enough for me to pick out specifics, but I do like what I smell. A little more power, a little more verve and it'd be a keeper.

Winter Ale is good, but not very good, on the palate. It's lightly roasted malty with an offsetting bitterness that brings it nicely into balance. Sweetish malt dominates the start and hoppy-piney-bitter dominates the finish. In some respects, it tastes like a hoppier, spicier brown ale with the more full body of a porter. Just when my taste buds show a spark of interest, the flavor peaks and fades.

For a beer brewed with spruce tips, it could be more sprucy. A more imaginative choice of hops (why use Saaz?) would provide much more of an evergreen character if that was the goal. The body/mouthfeel is unquestionably the highlight of this beer. It's medium-full and slightly slick with an energetic amount of carbonation. Makes my mouth happy.

Alaskan Winter Ale is an interesting winter warmer and is not at all what I expected. It's pretty good though and, in the end, I like it a little more than my final score would indicate. I just might give it another go next winter.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 19, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Bright orangey color with no head at all and no lace as well. Aroma is malty with hints of spruce. Very sweet malty fruity taste. I liked that it wasn't spicy like a lot of winter ales. Pretty drinkable as well. Don't feel that a winter beer has to knock you on your rear. Probably a bit to pedestrian for some but a drinkable beer. Appearance is the only negative for me.

Mark, Feb 16, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Standard brown twisty, list 6.4% abv. Made with spruce tips, and a date code of B050404. Cellared in my fridge for at least a year.
Aroma: Earthy malt with some caramel toffee tones and a perfumed hop aroma.
Appearance: Amber-orange with tons of tiny suspended particles in the glass. A good finger of head at the pour faded to a half cover then disappeared about halfway through without lacing.
Flavor: A good winter ale. Rich malt with some molasses notes, but not sweet. Spices are at a nice level, mostly allspice and spruce, both fairly mild. Not nearly as heavily spiced as Anchor’s seasonal or as rich, but kissing cousins from an extended family.
Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body with very low carbonation; Oily finish.
Overall Impression: A very enjoyable ale. I think my bottle mellowed a bit over the year, but I really wanted it in cold weather. While good, this one will scratch the big beer itch I had. I’d gladly sample some more in the future if I get the chance. Thanks go to my sister for bringing me this bottle from the source.
Recommended

HardTarget, Feb 12, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Beautiful, coppery-gold in hue with strong tawny-bronze influences; I love the color depth. Sadly there wasn’t much animation. The lack of head was even sadder, at the apex the foam was a sliver of a finger and then it faded rapidly to a very scrawny collar. There was no subsequent lacing either. What a waste of such lovely liquid. All things head related on this beer were sub-par. The nose doesn’t say much. My first whiff said bananas. What? I couldn’t find that aroma again, but dammit that is what I smelled. I found lots of nondescript fruitiness. Sweet notes, from the malt, but there isn’t any articulation. The label says, “Brewed with spruce tips.” How big were these alleged tips? I can’t smell them. I got hints of alcohol. Not much from the hops, some slight floral earthiness (I mean slight). The nose is disappointing. Yawn. The palate doesn’t say “Winter Seasonal.” The palate seems style-less. I guess this is a ubiquitous Winter Warmer. It is sweet but not rich in taste. At first there are hints of apple cider. Is this beer spiced? Is it just hops I taste? I get some weak spicy notes; I can’t really place them (ginger?). The malt is odd too, lightly toasty. Some alcohol heat is noticeable. Light woody notes at the back. The palate is close to being good; maybe it is good right now and it is close to being great. Honestly, the taste profile is okay; it doesn’t “wow” me at all. If I saw a six-pack in a store I’d skip it. It is better than average but its nothing noteworthy. There is nothing big about it; there is no malty goodness, no hoppiness, and no array of spices… nothing special here. Medium in body with low carbonation, the mouthfeel is tolerable, there is a tacky aftertaste that I don’t like. That makes me think there should be more effervesces. Easy to drink but pointless to do so, I am very underwhelmed with this beer. It is forgettable. I purchased a 12-ounce bottle on-line from Liquid Solutions.

bditty187, Jan 26, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Best before date: 30th of April 2005...

Appearance: light amber, good clarity, thinnish layer of yellowy-white suds that quickly flatten to a creamy cap

Aroma: biscuity malt, hint of spruce, spiced cider, light hops

Flavor: mildly sweet initially, hint of dark malts, mellow woodsy flavor, spruce is detected in the background, finishes semi-sweet with an aftertaste of crystal malt and a breath of spruce

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, pert carbonation, smooth texture

Other comments: An absolutely scrumptious winter seasonal. The spruce is very subtle, not overpowering. Strangely, you can really taste/smell it if you clear your throat after swallowing a gulp of it... sort of a bouquet of spruce.

GreenCard, Dec 27, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Came out looking like an amber ale with a one inch light tan head and leaving slight lacing.

Smell seemed lager like with a piney hint and light grain sweetness.

Taste was different. Smooth with a little bite, light caramel sweetness with a decent bitterness and no real trace of alcohol. A bit piney possibly from the spruce tips.

Goes down smooth but a little dry with an interesting aftertaste that lingers. Very nice carbonation gives it a silky feel.

Not too bad at all. Not my favorite winter warmer but not a bad choice either.

KoG, Dec 27, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

The beer pours an amber color with a thin offwhite head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good also. It has a nice malty scent with a fruity yeast finish. I can't smell the spruce tips that are supposed to be in here. The taste is awesome. It has a very refreshing crystal malt flavor with a kick ass (spruce?) aftertaste. It goes down really smooth. This is a very unusual beer. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied with good carbonation. This is a damn good beer. It has awesome flavor; a good drinker.

WesWes, Dec 21, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours crystal-clear amber with a low, light tan head with low retention.

Smells subtly of clean, caramel malt sweetness. A wee bit of toffee too.

Overall, a nice, soft-spoken winter beer. Subdued caramel sweetness, low bitterness, and a hint of spruce, all in excellent balance. The subtlety of the flavor and the medium body belie the moderately high alcohol, making this an enjoyable and quite drinkable winter warmer. Worth picking up.

Crotor, Dec 20, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

box calls this an old ale brewed with spruce tips.

pours a good clear burnt sienna color in my unibroue tulip glass. The off-white head had the larger bubbles and more meringue consistency, but it completely disappeared in just a few moments. No ring, nothin.

odor is faint, but softly fruity and piney from the spruce. it's nice, just wish it were a bit more powerful. Good body, just thick enough but not flabby. the taste has some sweet currant flavor-- a nice light maltiness with the spruce and hops giving it a nice tartness and crispness. light and lively overall, with some alcohol notes of spicy pepper that come through with the herbal, piney flavors.

this beer is subtle and i like it. definitely some similar characteristics to Alba, another spruce tip-spiced beer. would be fun to sit down with the two of them together. The only thing that i find a bit questionable is the aftertaste, which sits on the back of my tongue with a sappy, someone astringent feeling. just keep drinking and it doesn't bring you down, tho. ;)

i like this beer a lot better than a lot of the other winter offerings i've had this year. not so roasty, rich or hoppy as the offerings ive had from deschutes, pyramid and full sail-- instead, like SN celebration it goes for a brighter taste, and i'm appreciating that this year. seems happy rather than plodding. not sure if it exactly fits in the old ale style, but a fun beer. At 6.4% it's serious enough to qualify as a winter warmer, but the light fruity taste keeps it quaffable.

goods: light, fruity taste, enjoyable pine spice that adds some sweet, tart and spicy character

bads: no head to speak of, aroma could be stronger, aftertaste doesn't stand up to the rest of the beer

studentofbeer, Dec 12, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +6%

12/08/04- Purchased at Piazza's Market in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Pours a glowing deep amber color with a decent size head and nice lacing.

Smell- Not really a strong scent put out by this beer. You can tell there is a spice smell, but you really have to sniff. Maybe a bit of fruityness going on too.

Taste- Hmmmm, much sweeter than I would have imagined. Some pine hops in there mixing with all sorts of spices, some which I can't describe. Taste like something other than a winter warmer.

Mouthfeel- The sweetness makes it feel full and thick. Still goes down well with it's middle of the road carbonation.

Drinkability- Very different taste, as I am finding out from trying different winter warmers...no two taste the same. They all have their different tastes. I haven't had a real bad on yet, but haven't had one that I absolutely love yet either. Worth a try each winter.

GClarkage, Dec 10, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

A wonderful trace of caramel malts, and spruce tips, with a nice hoppy edge. As the beer gets warmer from room temperature the evidence of the 3 malts come out of the beer with the aftertaste influence with hop goodness. Not a beer to drink all the time, but does go really well with the turkey sandwich I had.
Overall a beer that I definitely look forward to every year until they stop crafting it or the taste no longer impresses my taste buds.

mnapier, Nov 15, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Slightly hazy and thick looking muted copper color body, with pretty decent haze accumulation overtop. Nose was pretty funky, unlike anything I've smelled recently...I can feel the "pine tips" in there, but it's not pine that comes across. Sweet, and mildly boozy, and something distinctly vegetable, like cooked green beans.

Tastes good, but not wildly interesting, and finishes with a somehow unpleasant dry, rough hop aftertaste. Like a mild Belgian spiced ale, sweet malts, fermenting apples...and very mild.
Carbonation is gentle, and weak.

Good, but forgettable.

A question: should an "Alaskan" winter ale really be considered a "seasonal". Isn't it always winter there???

donnebaby, Nov 13, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Beer pours an orange color into my pint glass with a white head that lasts throughout the glass. Large carbonation bubbles noticed. Smell is of fruitty yeasty esters, carmally sweetness and then a citrusy piney aroma is either from the hops or spruce. Taste is malty sweet medium thick bodied balanced with hops. There is a citrusy taste here from the spruce boughs but it isn't overpowering. Beer is drinkable but I wouldn't have too many of these because that spruce might be a little to acidic over the course of a night.

zacharius, Nov 03, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle straight down into a Duvel goblet. The head resembles thick cream of wheat, bright white, and is leaving some thick curtains of lace on the glass. The body is dark copper to light amber, depending on what light is behind it.

Smell: a golden raisin infused caramel grassiness, if you can get your head around that. Earthy, and sweet, but mostly sweet.

Taste: upfront sugar cane bite, followed by a puckering bitterness straight down the middle of my palate, closing on a dim earthy bitterness (the spruce tips?) that buzzes along the tip of my tongue.

The finish is also very dry, clean.

Mouthfeel isn't thick, isn't thin, and doesn't stick -- nice weight and balance. In the middle.

I love the unique malt flavor of this beer, kicked up the spruce tips or whatever -- spicy and full and bright. Festive.

RootedFool, Oct 14, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +6%

Brewed with Sitka spruce tips. The aroma is slightly citrusy, with a spicy component to it. I tasted this just after smelling some fresh Sitka spruce tips, the aromas of the fresh tips were incredibly citrusy with a sweet aroma that was incredibly fresh and interesting. Unfortunately the beer did not have this level of character to it, but at least it was noticeable in the nose.

The taste has a definite slight bitterness and astringency that does not seem to be derived from the use of hops (so it must be the spruce). The beer is sweet and malty up front with a light refreshing citrus character. This is quite light and refreshing to the palate, though there is some solid flavor here, including some spiciness.

Gueuzedude, Jun 26, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

This is a very good winter ale by alaskan brewing. Pours a dark copper/orange with a slight tan but more white froth head. Lacing is decent but not great. Smell is of cinnamon spice and nutmeg. Slight pine tone but very clean to the nose. The taste is very light for a winter beer, nutmeg sweetness and the hop bitterness is perfectly blended. Citrus and honey aftertones, very light in the mouth for a winter ale. Because of the lightness of this winter ale you can drink quite a few of these, dangerous because the alcohol is 6.4%. Excellent winter brew/ I'd even save some for summer as well.

beertaster13, Jun 16, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

It pours a clear amber with a thin, off-white head. The aroma is malty, piney, and slightly medicinal with some citrus. The medium body has some creamy malt that is sweet and coating. It is a little fruity with some pine/spruce notes. The carbonation is a little high as well.

ark57, Apr 19, 2004
Alaskan Winter Ale from Alaskan Brewing Co.