Alaskan Smoked Porter - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

pDev: 11%
Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-18-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Smoked beers are fickle for me. Some are good… some are GREAT. But some just plain suck. For instance, Rogue makes a smoked beer that is basically breakfast in a glass. It doesn't taste smoked at all. Doesn't taste like breakfast, either. Then Stone released an oak smoked Old Guardian, their delicious barleywine, a few weeks ago. It tastes like the inside of a barrel. SO good. Alaskan has never impressed me, so I am curious to see what this bomber tastes like. I was lucky when shopping at Total Wine & More a few weeks ago. They had a bottle of 2011 sitting on the shelf. Should be prime right now! Oh, and this beer comes from Juneau, Alaska. I used to tell a joke about Juneau. I would tell it here, but I would have to explain it. Wouldn't be funny if I have to explain it!

In the Glass: Looks like a porter. The head is a bit thin, and while we are drinking this cold, I expected a thicker head than this. Not writing this one off, but that is a bad first impression. Not much lace, either. They used the word "oily" in the tasting notes. I can see that from the lace.

Nose: Wow… that smells smokey! Good. I was hoping there would be at least a hint of smoke with a beer called Smoked Porter! I would love to visit a brewing company and watch them actually smoke a beer. Some breweries use chips that are already smoked and some use malts that taste like smoke. That's faking it, I say! I can already tell you this beer is too cold, so I am going to let this sit for a few minutes before I drink. Be right back!

Flavor: OK, I am back. By the way, the aroma is really starting to open up. Let's see what it tastes like. This is my favorite part, but the way. The smoke really carries over. It's not overwhelming, but this is REALLY smokey. There is a TON of unexpected carbonation, that I will talk about next, but the flavor is really nice. It is still a bit too cold, but I am impressed with the amount of smoke coming through here. Now I really want to go and see them brew this! I swished the second sip around in my mouth, and the bubbles were intense. However, the flavor didn't really change. It almost settled as I did that. Not a typical experience when doing this. Anyway, great flavor.

Mouthfeel: I expected this beer to be thick. Especially when they called it "oily" in the tasting notes. Not thick at all, and there are WAY too many bubbles going on here. I am going to let my second half get to room temperature because I bet this really opens up as it heats up. We just drank a bottle of Parabola, and it was only good warm. If I get my hands on another bottle, I won't chill it at all! I will say the mouthfeel does leave an almost residue going on here.

Aftertaste: For as much flavor I am getting, I expected the smoke to continue. It does, but it quickly fades. The smoke does linger… I almost want them to age this in some bourbon barrels. Imagine that flavor. This beer, according to the label, is an award winner. While I believe that, it's not going to win any awards in my book. There are better flavors for smoked beers on the market.

It's OK Alaskan, you did your best. You did a great job getting smoke on the nose and on the palate… but there are just better longer lasting smoked beers on the market. However, I like it. I would like to see this with double the ABV, a little thicker, and a tad less carbonated. Past that, bottoms up!

05-07-2013 21:03:48 | More by rickyleepotts

ItsYourBoyBlue

07-07-2014 23:41:26 | More by ItsYourBoyBlue
mpipe

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. black with a nice head with retention.

Smell: Smoke, caramel, coffee, chocolate nirvana.

Taste: Delivers amazing balance of smooth smoke with an amazing finish. I am in love with the smoked flavor. Doesn't over power like some. So well balanced.

Drinkability: This beer is my go to for the love of beer. If you don't like porters, or smoked beer stay away. if you like smoked porters, this is the one. Stone is close, but not as good.

07-05-2014 21:35:59 | More by mpipe
barnzy78

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, 2013 release, dated on label 09/10/13. Picked up in WI by a friend on vacation. I was super stoked to try this, as I've wanted to for years!
L - tall, creamy tan head sits atop a blackened ale, head retention is good, leaving some lacing as it fades
S - huge smoked aroma - reminds me of smoked salmon. Roasted barley, chocolate, grain, caramel present as well
T - heavy smoked malt, biscuity, caramel, toasty, spicy earthy hops provide nice moderate bitterness and perfect balance
F - full body, creamy and smooth, pleasant carbonation, finishes semi-dry and spicy
O - finally got to try it and it delivered. I have an affinity towards smoked beers, and this is top notch. I'll definitely buy this if I ever see it again.

07-03-2014 02:31:23 | More by barnzy78

06-18-2014 05:05:43 | More by Dicers
karlhelser

Oregon

06-17-2014 00:12:40 | More by karlhelser
Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.