2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alaskan Smoked Porter - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-18-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,462 | Reviews: 902 | Show All Ratings:
MrBen

This stuff is fantastic. I took on a bottle of the 2004 vintage on July 1, 2005. This is a void in deep space black. Not too bubbly, which really enhanced the mouthfeel and drinkability. Wonderful smokey taste, touch of bitterness, just overall fantastic beer. This went really, REALLY well with BBQ hamburgers. The smoked porter is now a regular for the cookout season. Give it a try.

07-04-2005 13:49:07 | More by MrBen
mjohn27603

My most highly anticipated beer ever reviewed on this site. I received in my first beer trade with Lou91. I have been craving this beer for years and now is the time to finally taste! I sit here on the last night of my Christmas vacation and the first day of 2006. This might very well be my last review for beeradvocate.com.

2004 Smoked Porter

Open and pouring: Light black in color with a hint of redness or purple in the pour. Not a solid black motor oil as some stouts. A dense head that is over 3 fingers high. The head is tannish to light brown in color.

Aroma is out of this world: smoked salmon, smells reminding me of the finest rauchbiers.

Taste: What I've waited for for years. First sip revelas a sweeter tasting beer than most rauchbiers. Aftertaste reveals some charcoal and wood flavors There are several notes that unveil themselves after sitting on the tongue a while. The one interesting fact is that the porter taste comes through and is not overpowered by the smoked aspect of the beer. Still some coffee notes. The coffee and porter notes play against the smoked rauchbier notes. The first rauchbier that isn't overpowered like a liquid ashtray.

Mouthfeel is light and airy. Good thing this is made in bomber sizes.

Drinkability is high and I find myself taking in big sips and not tiny ones.

Someday I will visit Alaska until then I've had this experience.

01-02-2006 05:04:45 | More by mjohn27603
TongoRad

2005 vintage.

Oh, my dear old friend, it's been way too long...I hadn't realized just how much I missed you until this very moment and I don't care if the whole world hears me say so...

Into a tulip stem it pours a rich, deep ebony color with a two-finger tan head that takes about a minute to settle down by half and leave some dense lacing in its wake.

The aroma is a thing of remarkable balance and rugged beauty. One can almost sense the glowing coals of alderwood fire just beneath the surface of the beer, allowing gentle plumes of smoke to waft towards the heavens...but that smoke happens to collide with a number of wonderful obstacles along the way- cocoa, caramel, dates, coffee, even a hint of chamomile- and brings with it a host of shimmering undertones. Nothing really dominates, though the gentle yet persistant smoke has a constant presence.

The palate is a silky smooth manefistation of the nose with the exception that the ever-present mocha quality takes the place of the smoke. Bitterness and alcohol provide a sturdy, reliable backbone and a lingering kiss of smoke lasts an eternity in the finish.

This is truly an elegant and well-conceived beer.

(Special thanks to xcjetta for providing this sample.)

04-05-2006 03:04:20 | More by TongoRad
xav33

Alaskan Smoked Porter
22 oz bomber
Moderate pour in a stein.
2006 version, consumed 06/07

Poured black with some faint brown highlight with a large frothy somewhat lasting head with fair lacing.

Smelt of strong smoke with moderate chocolate, coffee, burnt grain, It is also reminescent of smoked salmon in a way... Maybe just a brain associatioin, Alaska, salmon, smoked, but it is oddly mineral.

Taste was upfront perfectly balanced strong smoke wit hmoderate chocolatey bitter sweet touches followed by a more pronounced moderate roasted malt bitterness and some cocoa and faint sour and sweet dried dark fruit.

Palate was medium bodied, softly carbonated, creamy and velvety and lightly astringent.

Overall, smoked porters are my favorite style so the points are skewed a bit, but I think I have found the paragon of the style. There is definately a mineral edge to it, and that puts it over the top. I need more of this or I need to move to Alaska.

06-13-2007 04:57:27 | More by xav33
hardy008

Appearance - Pours dark brown almost black from the bottle with a two finger foamy tan head which leaves a nice lace.

Smell - smoke and sweet malt. Reminds me somewhat of smoked salmon.

Taste - Smoky with some sweet malt and roasted coffee bitterness. Exceptional.

Mouthfeel - smooth and medium bodied. Very well made.

Drinkability - Exceptional. This would be fantastic with smoked salmon. I will need to have some with the next bottle. Try this if you can. It does not disappoint.

03-29-2008 01:20:48 | More by hardy008
HoustonTX

Alaskan Smoked Porter 2008 Edition.

Rich dark brown body, with a thick large mocha head.

Excellent smoke in the aroma. Thick deep intoxicating layers of smokiness, underlays of chocolate, and hefty backing of roasted malt. Aroma is absolutely huge, and perfect for the style.

Hefty amounts of roasted malts attack the palate immediately. Followed closely by some insanely deep highly complex smoky notes. The roasted notes, and the smoke, blend perfectly creating a flavor tone that is just absolutely amazing.

This is perfection, this beer nails the head on everything. Insanely complex and with no apparent faults, this one easily deserves a 5.
Best Smoked Porter in the world.

12-01-2008 17:04:02 | More by HoustonTX
BigB415

I love this beer. It was the first smoked beer I had and now I call it a gateway beer since it turned me onto smoked beers. Everything is about it great from the smell, to the color, and to the taste. This beer is a definite recommendation for anyone who loves porters and wants to get into smoked porters. I'd be interested to age one and see how it tastes in a year or two.

11-10-2010 01:13:40 | More by BigB415
Tack122

4.98/5  rDev +19.1%

2012 edition, bottled 9/19/12, drunk 11/10/12.
This is my first review, and I'm drinking it and reviewing it two hours into what is projected to be a five hour meat smoking marathon. I am a huge lover of smoke, smoked beers, and everything related to it, so my perceptions are relative to that viewpoint and the smokey environment which I currently exist within.
Furthermore, I am not so big a fan of carbonation, so I tend to pour my beers recklessly, in order to remove a portion of the CO2.

Served from a 651 ml bottle, poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - Completely black, good tan colored head, well retained. Lacing at all the various levels of the drink.

Scent/Aroma - Hard to pin down due to environmental factors, I'm somewhat desensitized to the smoky aromas, the carbon dioxide acidity is definately detectible, as it is in most beers for me, a slight twinge of smoky scent is noticeable, along with a light but detectable hop aroma.

Taste - Upon taking a sip of this beverage, I immediately notice the carbonation and hoppiness, which after a moment of acclimation, gives way to the delicious dark smoked malt flavors. It reminds me of the delicious smoked foods I've smoked. It leaves upon the pallet a dark smokiness that persists, with that same hops/malt aroma sticking to your tongue for a great deal of time. A wonderful beer to drink slowly as the flavors stick around within your mouth. Still it isn't so overwhelming that you couldn't chug it, even as wasteful as that would be.

Mouth feel - Smooth, relatively medium to low carbonation as is normal for the porter style, entirely appropriate and wonderful.

Overall - If you like porters, stouts and barbecue, this is an amazing beer. Comparing it to Arrogant Bastard's Smoked Porter, this is significantly less bitter while maintaining the delicious hoppiness inherent to porters. Smokejumper by Left Hand comes closest to this, but Alaskan Brewing Co. dials back the smokiness just a tiny bit and allows a bit more hoppiness through.

If you are new to beer, particularly craft beer, you should ignore this review. I'm a huge fan of dark beer and almost nothing else, so if your range is limited to the mass market breweries, you are not likely to enjoy this beer as much as I am. From my perspective, it would be like comparing coffee to water.

11-11-2012 03:09:27 | More by Tack122
RootedFool

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle (2004 edition) purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Eureka, California, into my Duvel tulip glass. The body is nearly black, really an intensely dark shade of brown -- but, let's just say black, with deep, barely noticeable crimson edges when held up to the light. Not much of a head, and I poured rather aggressively. What's here is a soapy quarter inch of dark tan foam, which deflated quickly leaving a puddle of greasy bubbles on the brew's surface. Regardless of the head, or lack thereof, the body is remarkably dark without being pitch black, it almost glows in its darkness.

On second thought, I didn't pour enough of the beer to generate a proper head. I poured more and a beautiful, almost fluffy head -- over an inch and a half -- erupted in my glass. It's leaving some nice little quilts of lace on the glass. Good.

Smell:

First sniff: a rich, chocolatey nose, with a hint of espresso, but mostly sweet. After swirling just slighty, an incredibly thick smokiness pours through. Wood smoke, smoked meats; an almost tangy smokiness through the middle, closing on a nice little wave of bitter sweet chocolate notes. Wonderfully balanced.

Taste:

Opens with a thinly bitter prick on the tip of my palate, and then a flood of rich smokiness pours through -- deep, deep, deep; a pinch of tartness which quickly turns into a nice thrust of hop bitterness right over top of the continuous implosion of heavy smokiness (good salami is coming to mind here, almost greasy, but in a good way, and spicy). The finish, much like the nose, reveals a nice wave of sweetness that perfectly cuts through the duo of smoke and hop bitterness, to create a brilliant trinity of flavors that fade with perfect pace.

The balance is impeccably played out, like a ballet staged in my mouth.

Mouthfeel:

Middling carbonation, just enough; a dense, creamy consistency, coats my palate perfectly without any unpleasant stickiness.

An amazing beer experience.

01-21-2005 03:11:12 | More by RootedFool
Boilermaker88

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Just when I thought I was going to have to wait until next winter to try this beer, I find that the Beverages & More closest to me had a few in stock (finally). I guess all my whining paid off.
Presented in a 16oz. bottle, 2003 vintage, AK Smoked Porter was decanted into one of my favorite sampling glasses. It had a uniform black hue, impenetrable by light, and a modest ½" mocha colored head that died down to a ring, leaving no lace.
The smell was shocking at first. I was expecting a certain smokiness, but nothing like what issued from my glass. An intense and heady aroma of alderwood smoke wafted to my nose, giving me pause. A hint of dark chocolate and caramel carried across the smoke aroma, as did a touch of hops. The taste delivered a delightful melange of dark malt, bittersweet chocolate, and a bit of caramel sweetness, all infused with that wondrous smoky flavor. The finish had a pleasant hops bitterness. The smoky flavor permeates all phases of this beer. The feel was medium-full and dry.
I had a hard time restraining myself with this beer as I was torn between the desires to gulp it down on one hand and savor it on the other. On the bottle it states "enjoy now or cellar for a few years." I'm already puting in my order to clear the shelf of BevMo's remaining stock so I can do both. A fabulous beer.

01-26-2004 16:54:16 | More by Boilermaker88
simmons

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

2006 Alaskan Smoked Porter

Apperance: A nice dark porter with a dark brownish thick head lasting awhile. there is a very dark redish tint to it when held up to the light.

Smell: a very pleasent smoky aroma with a hint of malt and no hops

Taste: The is a mild malt flavor with plenty of smoked malt. The hops has a mild bitterness

Mouthfeel: The body of this brew is fairly light, medium carbonation and perfect ballance.

Drinkability: This beer is the best beer ever!!!! everything about this beer is great. I would travel anywhere to get this beer on cask.

01-08-2007 22:56:58 | More by simmons
bensiff

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

As long as you enjoy a little smoke taste in your beer, this is one of the best beers available to us mortals. However, I say that with one stipulation. This beer does not come from the brewery in its ideal state. With a solid 2-3 years of cellar time this beer evolves into one of the most pleasurable drinking experiences one might aspire to enjoy.

This one drains from the bottle a deep brown charcoal color that allows little light to penetrate with the exception of a ruby hint on the meniscus. A light chocolate brown head forms when pored, but quickly dissipates into a delicate lacing on the glass sides leaving the deep hue of the porter staring back at you.

From here on aging is everything. A freshly opened vintage will be too much for all but true rauchbier fans. However, with age this beer will mature from an elementary student to the wisdom of an elder cleric…metaphorically speaking of course.

With age the alder smoke character mellows and the porter flavors rise until they become well balanced equals. The smell is a nice mix of smoke and chocolate malt with a touch of espresso hiding in the background.

Upon taking a sip multiple things hit the palette. Smooth smoke flavors of wedded charcoal and smoked meat, malty sweetness, a slight tingle of carbonation, a note of alcohol, and finally hop bitterness creeps in to balance and dry things out. There is enough complexity to keep this one from being boring, but not so much it leaves your tongue pondering what just happened.

Mouthfeel is a little less than medium, although the smoke might trick the senses into thinking its fuller.

This is a beer one probably will only have one or two of at a time. And given the diminishing capacity of senses with inebriation it would be a shameful waste to dowse the impaired tongue when it cannot appreciate the greatness that has befallen it. Long story short, drinkability is outstanding.

I buy a case every year and rotate the stock. I recommend everyone keep enough of this one in their beer collection to allow tastings at various times.

03-11-2005 02:34:11 | More by bensiff
karst

Missouri

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

2004 Smoked Porter courtesy of Eagle River, Ak residents Tim and Julie. They are long time fans of this beer and think that '04 was an outstanding year. My compliments on both their judgement and careful cellaring of a great one! Thanks Juzy.

As fall reaches south from the arctic and Mid Missouri awaits its first frost, I search my glassware and select a 0.4 L Rastal Sniffer (New Belgium) for its ability to maximize aroma, show off color and its thin walled characteristics of not changing the temperature of its contents. Holding my nose close to the Gold "Made in Alaska" Polar bear sow and cub graphic I lift and sniff . . . . . . Pzzzsstt

Thus begins two hours of drinking pleasure.

Pouring clear dark brown (nearly expresso coffee black aka ) with a compact layer of dense brown sugar micro bubbles - becomming rich tan lace as I tilt to taste. I am already captured by its aromatic Alder smoke and hope that it is not fleeting. Held to the 4 pm direct sunlight, only a single Ruby glint sits on top of the stem surrounded by by darkness like the last glowing ember of a smoking midnight campfire. The globe of the glass contains the smoke of all those fires from all those Canadian canoe trips of my youth. Compared to my experiences with other smoked porters this aroma is "3 dimensional and alive" As good as Bamburg Smoked malt can be - this Aroma-Taste rises above them in this fine American Porter.

I would not call this "roasted pig over mesquite" nor "bacon or smoke ham" smoke Aroma-Taste - it is pure smoke - meatless. Just the morning campfire burnded down to black coals and a few sticks of still smoldering Alderwood that are gently fanned as the morning sun stirs the air and tries to lift the fog whisps from the lake.

What of the flavor which this wood smoke permeates?

Soft alcoholic smoke, smoked dark fruits - unsweetened prunes and black currants in a fruity bread. Never too much but always present, the smoked malts are masterfully roasted and hopped for a mellow acidity that keeps all things lightly dry and lightly bitter ending. I can not discern coffee or chocolate favors and although I don't find a cornucopia complexity - the few perfectly blended malts, hops and fruity esters dance on the palate and share dominance thereby keeping flavors changing and interesting.

A solid medium body and round mouthfeel that is full enought to hold in your mouth for ever. Carbonation stays with my 55°F pour for nearly two hours and is aroused with a swirl near the final glass sitting beside the spent bomber.

Always the triple finish - soft alcohol - smoke - and exceptional mellow acidity of heavily roasted grains and hop's alpha acids. Each lingering then fade to the next. Then you nose in to a smoke taste (matching the smoke flavor) that never overburdens the nose or tires the taste and repeat. Flavors so perfect that cleaning the palate with water would be a sin.

I was planning a side by side with 2005 O'Fallon Smoke porter. There is no need. Ak. Smokes Mo.'s finest porter in taste, aroma, mouthfeel, and by far in drinkability.

For the rest of this day and the next I reach fro the empty glass and bottle deeply inhaling - close my eyes and think about the supurb drinkability, lightly chewy mouthfeel, masterful blend of favors and . . . .

the smoke . . . . the smoke

10-12-2005 04:55:21 | More by karst
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

A. Dark chocolate color with brown milky creamy head.

S. Nicely roasty and malty with just the right touch of smoke. Sweet and creamy, well balanced. Just perfect!

T. Pleasantly bitter with the smoke going on again blending with the roast. Well balanced is an understatement.

M. Creamy in the mouth and perfectly carbonated.

D. I could drink this all day...literally. This is one beer that lives up to the hype TOTALLY. The absolute best smoked Porter I have ever had, bar NONE!

01-06-2009 15:57:44 | More by MMAJYK
NeroFiddled

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

2001. Quite black in color with only a sliver of clear brown visible at the base of the glass. Pours a pillowy, deep tan head that holds well, eventually drops to a good collar, and leaves some excellent lace. The smoke is clearly present in the aroma. It's satisfying - much more like burning wood than dry leaves, or cigarettes (as some smoked, and even roasted barley tinted, beers can be). Much like the smell you pick up on yourself while camping. When combined with the earthiness and grassiness of the hops present, the aroma is like being out in the wild. It's slightly sharp, but not too acrid; with a delicate, "woody" taste. The smoke is backed by a lightly sweet, dark chocolatey maltiness and the aforementioned hops. Surprisingly, it's smokiness is continually noticeable and enjoyable. With some smoked beers, the smoke is mainly found at the outset, and then lost. The body is medium-full with a moderate carbonation level. The mouthfeel is nicely creamy. The flavor is softly fruity, and mainly chocolatey, with a lingering sherry-like character, some hops, and a really nice soft smokiness in the finish. Very well balanced, but also assertively hoppy! Very enjoyable; even comforting in a way. Quite complex, not just with the smoke adding an exciting layer, but within the beer itself. Quite rich, and very rewarding. Absolutely worth trying - even for the person who doesn't normally like smoked beers! This one is quite unique!

09-11-2002 18:02:03 | More by NeroFiddled
ardeano

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

22oz - 2010 from Whole Foods Market - Bend, Oregon

NOTE: 1st Smoked Porter I have had

A- Drank straight from the bottle (had to I was at deer camp). I think a snifter with about a 15 minute breath time might be nice.

S- great smoke nose (can be too much if you don't like that 'smoke' experience) with a tint of a rich porter.

T- a rich, malty porter breaks the smokey nose, nothing overly complex but amazing nonetheless.

M- perfect carbonation for a porter; not flat and not a club soda. Really smooth and easy.

D- paired it with my home-made spicy spaghetti and cheesy bread and was amazing. This is probably not a beer a novice would sit down and drink on it's own - I think a pairing of fine cheeses and perhaps some rustic breads would add to the experience of this fantastic brew!

I think if it were to be aged about 6 months in a bourbon barrel it would add a deeper complexity and would I probably pay $20 for that bottle... I wonder if I can do that on my own???

11-23-2010 23:41:21 | More by ardeano
cokes

Wisconsin

Sweet revelation.
Sweet surrender.
This is one of the best I have ever had. 2001 edition.

Virtually black with some slight scarlet edges. Thin brown head retains like it should.
Campfire aromas. Odd that a beer I have never sampled before should bring back so many memories. Some nice expresso notes on the nose too.
Taste starts off with the expresso. Big roastedness. The Alder smoke builds in the background and reaches a near orgasmic peak....but never overpowers. Rich, bitter chocolate appears. Maybe just the slightest hint of caramel sweetness. Hops provide dryness and balance. Euphoric bitter finish. The smoke is gone at this point.
The glass is immediately placed back to mouth for the next fix.

It has been awhile since a beer has brought me such deliverance. This is just unreal.

How can I ever repay you, Bighuge? Thank you so much.

I need some time alone.
---
Update: Another 2001. One year later.
Not substancially changed, but still all-around beautiful. Brief tasting notes: Smoldering wood chips, nearly meaty, but not quite. Smoking is major league, but not as dominating as some German Rauchbiers. Mocha, bitter chocolate and liquorice underneath. Fruit cake yeasty qualities. Drying, lightly herbal hopping. Roasty closure with a remainders of smoke.
Thanks for the reaquaintance, jreitman.

07-24-2002 00:09:51 | More by cokes
geexploitation

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

2005 edition. Pours a deep black, darker than most porters, with a taupe head that forms a ring around the beer after a few minutes. Chunks of lacing stick to the sides of the glass. The smell is heaven for lovers of smoked beer. Smoked wood, similar to the beech wood used in German rauchbiers, is the most dominant feature of the nose, but there's a subtle dark fruitiness lurking underneath.

On the tongue, well-balanced porter bitterness and slightly sour fruits assert themselves first, along with active, fine-bubbled carbonation. The smoke creeps in at first, then grows in intensity toward the finish, which is long and deep with smoke notes but never overpowering... you never get the sensation that you're chewing on a piece of smoked meat here; it's always throttled back enough to enjoy simply as a beer. Mouthfeel is perfect -- good carbonation, very smooth, with a substantial body that nonetheless gets out of the way for the finish, thus never becoming cloying.

Overall, this is a fabulous beer. All elements are balanced with each other; every element is high quality in and of itself. It's got a distinctive smoke character that you don't find in many other beers, and certainly not in the progenitors of the style. This is certainly the best American smoked beer I've had, and it vies with the imports for "best in the world" status.

11-28-2006 01:57:05 | More by geexploitation
hrking

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Had this at a sit down with the cast from the GOOD BEER SHOW! All I can say is WOW! this is an icredible unique brew..

N- Smoke up front very noticeable..
P- Smooth easy to drink with an awesome start to finish smoothness
D- drinkability is over the top ..I could drink a cooler full of this. Smoke up front and evident throughout the entire beer..even in the lingering after taste..
F- If your a fan of any campfire cookout or just sitting around the campfire feeling this beer will take you away on a journey to a fall evening sitting around a campfire with friends shooting the shit..A great share and I can't recommend trying this enough..Hats of to the folks at Alaskan brewing! This is an outstanding brew..

02-13-2008 22:48:35 | More by hrking
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Lovely lovely stuff here, bought 6 bottles from Belmont Station a few years back(I'm on the East Coast)...wish I had stashed a few away for safe keeping. Nice n' smoky, very well made...just wish it was more widely availiable!

12-11-2001 19:50:30 | More by beerluvr
wcudwight

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Many thanks to Enola for sharing this beer that I've been wanting to try for sometime.
Pours pitch black, not a single ray of light glitters through the opaqueness. 1/4" creamy tan head that quickly recedes to a halo around the rim and holds there until the glass is empty.
This smells like my wildland firefighting gear after I've fought a wildfire. I love that smell.
The flavor is dominated by the smoke. What makes this beer stand apart from the other smoked beers I've had is it's missing the sausage flavor of other smoked beers. This is a very robust smoked flavor but still incrediblely smooth at the same time. Underneath the smoke lies the whole beer flavor gamut. There is a nice roasted maltiness with a touch of chocolate sweetness. It also has a good hop profile that adds a nice bitterness to the flavor. These aren't the in your face hop flavors akin to IPA's and such but more of a nice smooth hoppiness.
The mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy.
I gave the drinkability a 5 because the beer is just so delicious.
This was the 2005 version.

01-07-2007 03:22:05 | More by wcudwight
younger35

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Drank out of pint glass. This is my last bottle of this bad boy and I’m sad that’s it’s only the second I’ve had. It’s a terrific beer. Enjoying with some cheese and crackers. 2006 edition.

Appearance- Pours extraordinarily dark brown with a huge foamy tan head. Not a lot of lacing down the glass but more than you would expect. Leaves a nice cap the entire duration of the beer.
Smell- Very mellow alder wood smokiness permeates the glass. A light roasted malt gently sits in the background. Reminds me of the drippings in the bottom of my green egg when I smoke beef jerky.
Taste- This beer is extremely mild in all facets. A mild sweetness from the roasted malts tickles the tongue to start followed by the extremely pleasing smoke. It’s definitely the star of the show but not at all in an overpowering, unpleasing way. Slightly bitter with a very very subtle fruitiness. The smoke lingers in a nice sweet, mild finish with tinges of alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Thinner than you’d expect from such a beer. Light, semi-watery feel with vibrant carbonation. Very little alcohol warming.
Drinkability- This is such a good beer! I honestly can’t think of a better beer to sit down with some cheese and crackers or anything Bar-B-Q’d. It’s such a fantastic Porter I wish I could regularly get my hands on this stuff. Definitely in my top 5 beers.

08-17-2007 05:54:21 | More by younger35
FirstMan

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I first had this beer lo many years ago at a little diner counter down in Pioneer Square in Seattle. My trusted friend and then-beer-guide Knuckles insisted that give it a try. Up until that point, every smoked beer I had tried had been a stunning disaster and I was really really skeptical.

"I'm really going to hate it," I said.

"Shut up and drink the goddam beer," Knuckles said.

"OK, but watch your language, for chrissakes." I said.

And the rest is history. I've been in passionate love with this beer since that first sip. I covet every single bottle I can get my hands on.

Pours black and thick from the bottle, with the head rising only after the pour has finished - a soft, bubbly mocha layer the eases down into a wispy ghost across the top with a ring of uneven bubbles around the edge of the glass. Looking down into the glass is like looking up at the sky on moonless night - little inklings of clouds drifting around, but barely there. oooo alliteration...

One thing I love about this beer is how subtle the smoke is. This is especially noticable in the nose, as there isn't a big smoke note. It's present, but mainly you get a somewhat woody smell intermingled with molasses. My family is from North Carolina originally, and many of my ancestors worked tobacco. One of my favorite smells as a child was walking through the curing barns were tobacco leaves were drying or being bailed. There's a little bit of that aroma here.

When you're camping in the early fall, there's a point late in the evening when the night sky is clear, the air is crisp, and the fire has died down to a glowing ember that occasionally pops and crackles. Everything seems quiet and right with the world, staring into that fire. This beer tastes like that moment.

One of the great beers of the world.

11-30-2005 01:07:22 | More by FirstMan
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap at Toronado, blessed Toronado.

Thick black body with a chunky brown head. Appearance is practically perfect. Head is lasting and wonderfully aromatic. Smoke, smoke, and smoke! Chocolate, coffee, caramel, scotch, peat, and a whole wheel barrow load of other great stuff can be found in this beauty. I am thrilled. This is one of the best porters I’ve ever held in my hand and I haven’t even tasted it yet.

Mouthfeel is nearly full, charcoaly, poking at times but nearly flawless.

Taste is peat and mesquite, caramel and chocolate, bittersweet and acidic grains in the finish. Spicy, delicious, smoky as can be. Just great.

Drinkability is very high. There isn’t an overwhelming meatiness that I find in some smoked beers. This one is just mellow and refreshing. Damn drinkable.

A masterpiece.

05-21-2006 02:36:30 | More by DaPeculierDane
yuriruley

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

2010 version, got in before it sold out a second day in a row.

Appearance - dark reddish brown with a tan head that retains very well. Good amounts of lacing

Smell - smokey, nutty, chocolate, apple, and hints of coffee.

Taste - Smokey sweetness balanced out by robust coffee/chocolate flavors. This beer has a lot of depth to it.

Mouthfeel - heavier than most porters I think, carbonation isn't overbearing, and it has some creaminess to it.

Drink - Really easy to drink this stuff, last year it was my happy hour drink at a local bar for several months.

I really love this stuff, one of my favorite American porters and easily my favorite smoked beer.

11-06-2010 02:19:40 | More by yuriruley
Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.