Alaskan Smoked Porter - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-18-2001

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 934 | Hads: 1,834
1.75/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Color- Valdez oil spill. Medium head that's chocolate milk colored.

Aroma- smoke, smoke, smoke. You'd have to be a smoked beer lover to enjoy this unusual brew. Too smokey for us. Reminds us of licking the inside of a Weber BBQ grill that had a ton of liquid smoke poured into it. No balance, just smoke.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted March 2013. (433 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -43.9%

I can see how this might be a good example of the style, but this was absolutely not my cup of tea. I would say that the Stone smoked porter is about as strong of a smoke sensation as I am willing to tolerate.

Pours a beautiful, beautiful black with a light brown foam topping and gorgeous slow bubbling carbonation. I was loving this beer till it approached my nose and lips.

Heavy, heavy smoke. Almost BBQ/charcoal like. Ugh. Do. Not. Want. Some light coffee overtones and rich chocolate, but did I mention the smoke? I know, I know: why buy a smoked porter if I don't want that flavor? Now I know better.

Mouthfeel was thick and chewy. I would imagine that there are folks who genuinely love this beer. (710 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

After reading through some other reviews I am starting to wonder if I just got a bad bottle.

I have been asked to describe the taste to my roommate and came up with a description that I think fits it perfectly.

Mine tasted like a porter, that was filtered through burnt wood and smoked salmon, no joke.

I am hoping that I got a bad bottle because I got this for a celebration and ended up pouring most of it out :( (417 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

Tasted this beer at several different bars in Alaska in their large bottles. Pours dark amd smokey.Taste, well, this beer is misnamed. It should be called a "burnt porter." The taste of ash in the beer predominates the overall flavor. The ash leaves an aftertaste in your mouth that lingers for several hours. I was very dissapointed and would rate this at most as a D. (369 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -40.6%

I picked up a botle of 2002 vintage from a cooler in Eugene a couple of weeks ago. I had been looking forward to trying this beer for a couple of years and I was disappointed. It was a dark chocolate brown color with a big frothy, coffee colored head. The lace was decent. The aroma and taste were pretty smokey from alder wood. This smokey factor tiggered an association with salmon (also smoked with alder). I do like the smoked salmon from Yachats, Or., but I wouldn't like it in a glass.There was also some vinegar in the aroma and a little bit of concealed caramel in the taste. The finish was dry and not very tasty. I found the smokiness to be too overpowering. I liked other Alaskan beers I've tried, but this one just didn't taste good to me. (751 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The smell of smoky BBQ and jerky is just too forward and overpowering. Smoked beers are an acquired taste and I just have not found mine yet. This type of beer is not for everybody. (182 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -37.7%

I bought a 2009 vintage of this to put in a pot of chili. I reserved about 6 ounces to taste/review.

Appearance is a little underwhelming. The finger of lite tab colored head that pops up quickly fades to a thin smattering stop the odd cola covered body. The body itself is brownish/garnet with an unnatural green tinge that typically is indicative p artificial coloring. No lacing is evident.

Aroma is of charred wood and dark chocolatey malts. Its halfway good and non-offensive.

I have some mixed opinions about the taste. There is a strong bitter chocolate element that comes through I enjoy very much. Less enjoyable is the smoked meat essence that dominates the flavor. I'll have to chalk it up to an inexperience with smoked porters.

Mouthfeel and drinkability were not my favorite. The prickly carbonation and difficult to get through smokiness make this a one time taste.

On a positive note this made for a mean chili. I won't be drinking this again but will be buying it to it in a pot of chili. The smokiness pairs nicely with meat and spice. (1,063 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

The BA'er named Photekut was kind enough to give me a large sample of this while waiting in line at Sexual Chocolate line (at 6:47AM!). Thanks, man!

2006 Vintage

Poured in a red solo cup, so unable to see the color in detail, but a dark rich brown/black with a dark tan head.

Smells of rich, peat moss and BIG, nasty, Earthy smoke.

Taste is rich and earthy... To me, it was like a big chunk of topsoil right in my mouth... Finishes with a strange film on my tongue. Slightly sour. As the beer warmed, it became a tad sweeter and more refined, but overall this one one smoky beer. Hate to say it, but it remininded me of a liquid fertilizer!

I'll have to try this one again, someday. (687 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -32.9%

Year 2001 edition
Looks - Black body, dark infinitesimal head, little lace.
Aroma – smokey, like lox.
Flavor - This tastes like beef jerky. Actually. It is like dark smoky raison bread.
Mouthfeel – Nice full mouth feel. I enjoyed this most.
Drink – My wife tried to pour her class down the drain, and I grudgingly stopped her and offered to consume hers for her. I just do not get the hype. This is an expensive beer that does not give me anything worth the money. (473 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

This is very dark brown, nearly completely opaque with a thin off white head. Aroma is, you guessed it, smoky. It's smoked cedar, moss, and wet dirt. Earthy. There is some roastiness, but it's not easy to detect. The flavor is strong and it's smoky. This is really on par with some of the best examples of Rauchbiers. Wood and ash dominate the palate with a burnt bacon flavor in the back. I'm not really that huge a fan of the aftertaste, as it is bitter and chalky. I really don't get any hop flavor or aroma. Maybe it's contributing to the bitterness, but to be honest, the bitterness is just like tasting a burnt match. The flavors go crazy from one end of the spectrum in smoke to the other in roasty baker's chocolate. Feel is light and finish is chalky but balanced.

This is interesting, but nothing I'd like to have again to be honest. (844 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Bought this beer on a pleasant spring evening in CA. While I enjoyed this beers' company, I wasn't too impressed with her characteristics.

Dark coffee brown color with little head or lacing to speak of.

Strong smell of, again, dark roast coffee with bitter chocolate taste. The primary sensation in the mouth was a bitter tang in the back of the tongue.

Full body, definitely a hearty brew.

Overall, I will buy this beer again, but only if paired with some barbecue chicken; I think they would be a perfect pair.

Cheerio! (527 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance:
Milk chocolate head, foamy, black. Minimal retention and lacing.

Nose:
A pungent black olive, licorice, charcole, whisky.

Taste:
Smokey, black smoke like charcole, ash, whisky.

Notes:
Very charred and smokey. Not BBQ Smoke, but black, out of the fireplace smoke. (277 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

2007 version poured from a 22 oz bomber

Pours black with a nice brown head which holds up well. Smell is nice and smokey, almost overpowering.

Taste is very strong smoke, overpowering some faint chocolate malt.

I enjoy a smoked porter, but this one was overpowering on the smoke smell & taste. Don't know if the aging make the smoke taste so overpowering . I'd like to try a fresh bottle to compare, too bad I can't get it here in Central Florida. Because of the overpowering smoke taste I experienced with this 2 year old, I would not recommend aging this one. (565 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -29.1%

2008 vintage
Apperance: Black. Tan head, sticky lace.
Smell: I could smell chocolate as soon as I poured it. When you stick your nose in it, all you get is smoke, with hints of coffee and chocolate.
Taste: SMOKE. Little bit of soy sauce and coffee. Even smaller amounts of lactic sourness, simple syrup and cocoa.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, big carbonation. Chewy.
Drinkability: Not too bad. No alchohol, almost no sweetness.
Verdict: Kind of a one-note beer right now, but all the elements are there for this one to age beautifully.

Buy it, forget about it for a few years, profit. (586 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bottle. Pours a dark black with a creamy tan head. Aroma is very smokey, however not overly intense. Very rich flavor of dark malts and smoke, with hints of coffee and chocolate as well. The finish is almost all smoke, much too intense for my liking.

I’ve used this many times in making caribou pot roasts in the crockpot. They even have a recipe on their website, which is delicious.

I was informed that this beer has won more medals at the Great American Beer Festival than any other beer, quite an accomplishment. (529 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I am usually very fond of Porters but this was not to my liking. I thought it was too dry and too sweet. It looked chocolaty red and smelled like a woodsy mocha coffee but the taste really killed it for me. All I can say is try it if you must try everything but not worth seeking. (280 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

2005 edition.
Pours an opaque black with a tan head and some sticky lacing. Aroma is smokey with some bubblegum -- like sweet charcoal. Palate is lighter than expected with an unusual lingering hop presence. Flavor has a sweet start leading to a tart metallic middle and a (for a porter) crisp finish. Overall, I was not impressed. Maybe expectations were high. However, I did not find this porter to have well balanced characteristics. (437 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance: Pours very dark for a porter. Showcases mahogany edges. A beautiful two finger rises up and has ample retention.

Smell: Over-powering smokiness criss crossing with burnt chocolate and faint malt sweetness. Absolutley no hop aroma is detected.

Taste: The taste of this porter is where it really shines IMHO. It has a very nice balance of chocolate,coffee,wood and then a robust suggestion of smoke yet again. The smoke is not nearly as potent as it is in the nose. Tons of complexity and a long smokey finish.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium creamy mouthfeel. Very smooth drinker. Seems a little chalky in the finish as well. Medium amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer is hugley complex and a bit unsetteling if your not ready for it. I would be hard pressed to try this again because of the over-the-top smokeness. Worth a try but I prefer the nuance of Stone's smoked porter.

Cheers2Beers (950 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

2008 brew, 651ml brown bottle. Came to Shropshire via California and Prague, this was one well travelled bottle.

Poured into a 'Palm' tulip shaped glass three times. Deep dark, ruby red, looked completely black until held up to a strong light, then the true colour became evident. Good tan coloured head on each pour, but faded to a wisp and collar as the beer wqs consummed.

Really smokey aroma, almost nicotine smokey. I have been to Bamberg to try the smoked beers there (on a few occasions) and nothing compares to the smokey aroma of this porter.

Too smokey for me to be honest, I tried to get into it, but it isn't a smoked ham or bacon flavour, this is a full in your face smoke house taste.

My wife was pleased to hear it was most likely the only bottle of this beer in the UK. She didn't want me to have to drink another!

I found it heavy going, but managed to finish the bottle, cheese and crisps helped me see it off. (933 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -24.6%

2006 vintage. 22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass. Purchased at BevMo.

A - The beer pours black with faint red hue and a tan head.

S - The aroma is a mixture of smoke and dried fruit. For a smoked beer, I think the smell is a bit weak, but that could be due to the fact that the beer is still young.

T - The beer tastes of smoked wood, charcoal, and roasted malt. The after taste came across a bit astringent.

M - Very thin. This one kind of threw me for a loop.

D - I could pair this with many a meal, but I don't think this one is especially drinkable.

Overall, this is a very good beer, although perhaps not as good as some would argue. Given the substitutes, I'd rather have Stone Smoked Porter, as I feel it's easier to find and the taste is more robust. Have a try for yourself and decide. (810 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -24.6%

2004 bottle.
Nice head, opaque body, plenty of lacing, great smokey nose. Unfortunately the taste is to be blunt ... yucky. I love this beer normally, so I thought I'd try a aged version. Either something is wrong with this bottle or the age did no favors. It tastes very sour, and as expected has little of the smokiness. Mouth is still very nice. I hope something is wrong with the bottle rather than just a bad side effect to the age. If I try another aged bottle and it tastes different I will edit this review. (516 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

2007 vintage

A -pours like any good porter should, impenetrably dark with a thin dark tan head

S - i could smell the smokiness before the cap was even off the bottle, it really does smell like beef jerky, or more fairly (perhaps) a good porter mixed with liquid smoke, even hints of fresh leather, but huge, like i walked into a leather retailer

T - extremely monotypic, so much smoke that it nearly drowns out any other flavors, the only survivor is a suppressed roasted malt flavor that at least makes it recognizable as a beer

M&D - it was drinkable, smooth and easily sipped, but the flavor was just too much at times, i was unprepared for its aromatic and flavorful girth, would compliment any sort of BBQ dish perhaps, i let this one sit for over a year, maybe that was a mistake (789 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pilsner.

pours pitch black with an inch of tan head.

tons of smoke in the aroma; much more prominent than other smoker porters i have had. reminiscent of burning leaves or the smoked flavor of a smoked sausage. some roasted and sweet malts behind the smokiness.

taste is very much like smoked sausage as well. very much like burning wood. malty chocolate sweetness and a hint of alcohol as well. bitter and burnt in the aftertaste. very smooth with a heavy mouthfeel and a moderate carbonation.

admittedly not my favorite style; i have yet to run into a smoked porter that i really love. but a solid, well-balanced beer. (660 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

Who's cooking the bacon?

Thanks to swnicholson for the hookup on this dark brew with a nice tan head.

The smoke is unmistakable. It is overwhelming- too much to be pleasant. Hiding beneath that though are some notes of chocolate malt and roasted flavors, but the smoke is taking center stage. A bit much for me really, but I would be interested to see how this develops over time (this was 2008 vintage). The over-smokiness really took away from the drinkability. Slick mouthfeel- this was a bit tough to drink more than a few ounces of. (539 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -22.7%

Reviewed via notes from earlier 2005. Had on tap at the Toronado in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- From the tap into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Dark black pour with a very large creamy head. Lacing was nice as well.

Smell- Not the strong smoke scent I was expecting. A bit of smoke with a bit of coffee and dark chocolate as well.

Taste- Strong burnt malt flavor as well as a woody smoke taste. Chocolate fills in the remainder of taste. Was expecing bacon and got wood, which was much easier to tolerate. Not salty like most true rauchbiers.

Mouthfeel- Pretty creamy and lower in carbonation. Thicker feeling mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Not bad, in fact great for a rauchbier. Still not my style of brew. This is probably my last review of a rauchbier. This is one thing that I'm not going to regret. Nice to end on one that didn't make me gag.

***Version 2008

Much more smoky in flavor. Lots of wood smoke flavor as well as meaty flavor. Much more like a Rauchbier this time around. Still not my favorite style, but I can appreciate that this one is pretty good. (1,076 characters)

Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.