Alaskan Smoked Porter - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-18-2001

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,762 | Reviews: 942

1.25/5  rDev -70%

1.75/5  rDev -57.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Color- Valdez oil spill. Medium head that's chocolate milk colored.

Aroma- smoke, smoke, smoke. You'd have to be a smoked beer lover to enjoy this unusual brew. Too smokey for us. Reminds us of licking the inside of a Weber BBQ grill that had a ton of liquid smoke poured into it. No balance, just smoke.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted March 2013.

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

I can see how this might be a good example of the style, but this was absolutely not my cup of tea. I would say that the Stone smoked porter is about as strong of a smoke sensation as I am willing to tolerate.

Pours a beautiful, beautiful black with a light brown foam topping and gorgeous slow bubbling carbonation. I was loving this beer till it approached my nose and lips.

Heavy, heavy smoke. Almost BBQ/charcoal like. Ugh. Do. Not. Want. Some light coffee overtones and rich chocolate, but did I mention the smoke? I know, I know: why buy a smoked porter if I don't want that flavor? Now I know better.

Mouthfeel was thick and chewy. I would imagine that there are folks who genuinely love this beer.

2.36/5  rDev -43.3%

After reading through some other reviews I am starting to wonder if I just got a bad bottle.

I have been asked to describe the taste to my roommate and came up with a description that I think fits it perfectly.

Mine tasted like a porter, that was filtered through burnt wood and smoked salmon, no joke.

I am hoping that I got a bad bottle because I got this for a celebration and ended up pouring most of it out :(

2.36/5  rDev -43.3%

Tasted this beer at several different bars in Alaska in their large bottles. Pours dark amd smokey.Taste, well, this beer is misnamed. It should be called a "burnt porter." The taste of ash in the beer predominates the overall flavor. The ash leaves an aftertaste in your mouth that lingers for several hours. I was very dissapointed and would rate this at most as a D.

2.49/5  rDev -40.1%

I picked up a botle of 2002 vintage from a cooler in Eugene a couple of weeks ago. I had been looking forward to trying this beer for a couple of years and I was disappointed. It was a dark chocolate brown color with a big frothy, coffee colored head. The lace was decent. The aroma and taste were pretty smokey from alder wood. This smokey factor tiggered an association with salmon (also smoked with alder). I do like the smoked salmon from Yachats, Or., but I wouldn't like it in a glass.There was also some vinegar in the aroma and a little bit of concealed caramel in the taste. The finish was dry and not very tasty. I found the smokiness to be too overpowering. I liked other Alaskan beers I've tried, but this one just didn't taste good to me.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The smoky smell of BBQ and jerky is too unsubtle and overpowering. This type of beer is not for everybody.

2.61/5  rDev -37.3%

I bought a 2009 vintage of this to put in a pot of chili. I reserved about 6 ounces to taste/review.

Appearance is a little underwhelming. The finger of lite tab colored head that pops up quickly fades to a thin smattering stop the odd cola covered body. The body itself is brownish/garnet with an unnatural green tinge that typically is indicative p artificial coloring. No lacing is evident.

Aroma is of charred wood and dark chocolatey malts. Its halfway good and non-offensive.

I have some mixed opinions about the taste. There is a strong bitter chocolate element that comes through I enjoy very much. Less enjoyable is the smoked meat essence that dominates the flavor. I'll have to chalk it up to an inexperience with smoked porters.

Mouthfeel and drinkability were not my favorite. The prickly carbonation and difficult to get through smokiness make this a one time taste.

On a positive note this made for a mean chili. I won't be drinking this again but will be buying it to it in a pot of chili. The smokiness pairs nicely with meat and spice.

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Tasted like a burnt hotdog, smoked taste was off putting.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

on tap at the brewery. get’s a couple of points for style and originality but i can’t help but think of smoked fish when i taste this beer

2.8/5  rDev -32.7%

The BA'er named Photekut was kind enough to give me a large sample of this while waiting in line at Sexual Chocolate line (at 6:47AM!). Thanks, man!

2006 Vintage

Poured in a red solo cup, so unable to see the color in detail, but a dark rich brown/black with a dark tan head.

Smells of rich, peat moss and BIG, nasty, Earthy smoke.

Taste is rich and earthy... To me, it was like a big chunk of topsoil right in my mouth... Finishes with a strange film on my tongue. Slightly sour. As the beer warmed, it became a tad sweeter and more refined, but overall this one one smoky beer. Hate to say it, but it remininded me of a liquid fertilizer!

I'll have to try this one again, someday.

2.81/5  rDev -32.5%

Year 2001 edition
Looks - Black body, dark infinitesimal head, little lace.
Aroma – smokey, like lox.
Flavor - This tastes like beef jerky. Actually. It is like dark smoky raison bread.
Mouthfeel – Nice full mouth feel. I enjoyed this most.
Drink – My wife tried to pour her class down the drain, and I grudgingly stopped her and offered to consume hers for her. I just do not get the hype. This is an expensive beer that does not give me anything worth the money.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.