Alaskan Smoked Porter - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Smoked Porter Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

2005 Vintage from a 22oz bomber

Brownish black topped with a thin frosting of tan head. Head fades away quickly. Highlights of smoke, meat, and sweet fruit in the nose. Taste is well balanced. Sweet, smoky malt with hints of chocolate and subtle hops to even the beer out. Carbonation is pleasant. Very easy to drink.

kdmorse, May 07, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

2003 sampling--thanks to SheepNutz.

It's what I have expected. Surprisingly so. A solid, well-balanced, heavier than normal, rich, porter. Alone, without the smoke, would warrant a big-time review. With the smoke additions, it's nearly perfect. Lots of chocolate, powdery, roastiness, light coffee, and milk-stout flavors that have melded well over the past few years. The smoke doesn't only add another flavor on top of the porter flavors, it becomes an integral part of the brew. Difficult to detect where the porter ends and the smoke begins. The perfect camp-fire brew. Bold to the taste, and silky to the touch.

BEERchitect, May 05, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks to Juzy for the opportunity to try this beer.
Absolutely amazing!
2005 version in a bomber. Served in my pint glass staring at 50 degrees.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark midnight black (completely opaque) with a 1-2 figure chocolaty brown head. Mediocre lacing and decent minimal carbonation.

Smell: Wow! It’s a combination of my humidor, a campfire and some mesquite smoking chips. A bit of charcoal and some underling burnt caramel malts.

Taste: I have never tasted anything like this before. I loved it! It had a distinct smoke flavor font, middle and end. I had this beer beside and after some homemade Baked beans (thanks juzy for the recipe) and B&J Brown bread. What a heavenly treat!!! As soon as I put the kids to bed I am going outside for a cigar just to finish off a great evening. The taste (along with the fantastic smoke flavor) has a very definitive dark roasted chocolate malt character and a sweet dark fruit flavor like mild currants and prunes. There is a bit of a bacony quality as well. The woody earthy attribute is fantastic and this tasty beer is incredibly easy to drink. Each sip begs for another. It is great for thinking about and even better for drinking. It is magnificently balanced with sweetness and also the evident hops, all lying under the campfire smoke.

Mouthfeel: A nice strong malt backbone lends way to a splendid creaminess and a slight hint of bitter tingles from time to time, immediately washed down by more smooth creamy full-bodied beer.

Drinkability: This is so incredibly easy to drink it is nearly mind blowing! This beer is definitely something special. I often put a cork back in the 22 oz bomber, saving the second half for the next day. This beer I corked but before I knew it I was re-filling my pint glass. I wish Alaskan Smoked Porter were available in my area. It would certainly be a regular in my house.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Apr 22, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2003 vintage bottle. I poured this beer into a tulip glass for maixmum visibility and aration. The beer poured a deep black color with a bright brown foamy head but it was not very thick and it actually disapated rather quickly. The aroma was a fantastic mellow roasted smell. Chocolately and toasted coffee. The taste was mellowed but very pleasing to my lucky taste buds. The taste gives you more of the toasted coffee and chocolate notes but also a bit of bitterness. After I let this sit for awhile to warm up a bit, I got some caramel notes in the aroma and taste and I noticed a wonderful swirling efffect on the limited head. Nice thick body but I find this beer to be very drinkable.

ggaughan, Apr 19, 2006

2005 bottle recieved in a trade from nvsblman. Pours dark black with ruby tinges, and a 1 finger head that quickly diasappears. Ring forms around the top of the glass.

Aroma is very faint. Only a hint of smoke, and burnt grain shine through. Smokiness is light and sweet, not heavy and meaty like some other smoked beers.

Flavor is nicely balanced. Flavor is round and malty, slightly spicy. Roasted malts are restrainted, and the finish is firmly smoky and bitter. I don't really detect any hops though, the bitterness seems to come from the roasted malts. Agressive carbonation scrubs the tongue, and the flavor doesn't linger very long. Drinkability is good.

phisig137, Apr 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark black with a slight ruby tinge; Tan head, only a little retention, hint of lace.

S: Pleasant smokyness, fruity esters (British yeast?), chocolate & coffee.

T: Dark chocolate, very malty, bread, molases, dark/burnt caramel, hint of prune and slight hint of licorous... but all that isn't enough to hide the alcohol, which is fairly upfront.

M: Moderate body is chalky, carbonation is light to moderate.

D: There's a lot of interesting flavours here, which is good, but it's fairly big & bold, which works against the drinkability.

Thanks sharing Mike!

Derek, Apr 15, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Alaskan Smoked Porter 2005 poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. I poured mine when it was slighly cooler than cellar temperature.

The beer had a very classic, porter appearance with a thick darkness and a thin, but long lasting tan head. The nose featured the an underlying smokey scents along with some hints of chocolate and carmel. Other small complexities linger in the background; AK Smoked Porter has an awesome smell to it. The beer's flavor matches the nose: an initial mouthfull of dark chocolate with a finish of smokiness. Allowing the beer to roll around the tongue, I received a surprising bitterness at the finish. A lot to discover here as well. The mouthfeel on this beer ended up being surprisingly creamy and insanely drinkable. I could sit down and drink these all evening without blinking an eye. I'll be picking up more of these from Liquid Solutions quite soon.

edmundfitzoil, Apr 06, 2006

2005 vintage.

Oh, my dear old friend, it's been way too long...I hadn't realized just how much I missed you until this very moment and I don't care if the whole world hears me say so...

Into a tulip stem it pours a rich, deep ebony color with a two-finger tan head that takes about a minute to settle down by half and leave some dense lacing in its wake.

The aroma is a thing of remarkable balance and rugged beauty. One can almost sense the glowing coals of alderwood fire just beneath the surface of the beer, allowing gentle plumes of smoke to waft towards the heavens...but that smoke happens to collide with a number of wonderful obstacles along the way- cocoa, caramel, dates, coffee, even a hint of chamomile- and brings with it a host of shimmering undertones. Nothing really dominates, though the gentle yet persistant smoke has a constant presence.

The palate is a silky smooth manefistation of the nose with the exception that the ever-present mocha quality takes the place of the smoke. Bitterness and alcohol provide a sturdy, reliable backbone and a lingering kiss of smoke lasts an eternity in the finish.

This is truly an elegant and well-conceived beer.

(Special thanks to xcjetta for providing this sample.)

TongoRad, Apr 05, 2006

2004 Edition

Appearance - better lacing than the 2003 version, otherwise about the same.

Aroma - smoky nose, again about the same as the '03.

Taste - smoky sweetness combined with burnt espresso beans. The swallow brings on a rush of smokiness, taking over the palate completely. The finish is dry, chalkly and all burnt up.

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy, peppy carbonation.

Drinkability - not as complex as the '03 and much smokier. Still tasty but I like the '03 better.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 01, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle(2005) a pitch black with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated slowly leaving a fine layer with some lacing.

The smell is all smokie, like you're leaning over and taking wiffs from a fine BBQ.

The taste is also quite smokie with a solid backbone of roasted malt that finishes on a semi sweet note. Ahhh..I've had some aged samples before and they're so deliciously balanced but a fresh sample like this also has a lot of complexity in flavour to offer. This truly is one of the nectars of the gods!

Bottom line: This is my alltime favourite Porter and one that should not be overlooked if you see it in your local store. Highly recommended!!!

Edit: After having a couple of bottles of the 2008 release, I find it is the smokiest fresh SP in many a year and I'm super excited as to how this one will age in the years to come. Even the mouthfeel seems to be more luxurious and silky. My score has been adjusted accordingly.

Bitterbill, Mar 30, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

An exceptional smoked porter, had on tap at O'Briens. I am admittedly not a huge fan of porters in general, but this is definitely in the top rung amongst this style. The scent is smokey, as is the taste. Fortunately, the taste is also a bit sweet and a bit bitter on the finish. This all adds up to a very balanced, and VERY drinkable porter! Tasting notes include chocolate and the obvious smokiness. After reading some of the reviews on here, I was worried that this would be too syrupy, but in fact the carbonation is spot on, and the beer isn't heavy at all! Highly recommended for fans of this style.

audiojon, Mar 17, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5%

This definitely lived up to my expectations, thank you Warriorsoul for the hook up.
Very dark and thick looking but with a very lively amount of carbonation, something I didn't expect, fair lacing too. The smell is initially a bit heavy on the smoke but after a couple minutes you start to pick out other aromas like coffee, chocolate, and sweet malts. It is sort of the same way with the flavor. The smoke is a touch too much and I begin to wonder how I'm going to give this a fair shot, but I'm drawn in by the silky smooth mouthfeel, its like velvet or something. The more I investigate the mouthfeel and the noticeable tingling on my tongue, the more I settle into the beer and the smoke takes more of a back seat to the very roasty and malty and very well balanced flavors. This is a complex beer.
I can surely see why this is a well received beer and although I don't see myself drinking this with much regularity, I will certainly consider this a treat worth indulging in when opportunities present themselves.

Chadbrew, Mar 08, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

The aroma is dominated by liquid smoke. Deep black in color with two finger thick mocha head. Fore is meat and wood smoke flavors, but toward the end there is a a bit of chocolate malt porter sweetness before the smoked flavors get ramped back up again.

I’ll be honest I don’t appreciate the style, but there is definitely a very nice little flavor progression here and you seem to get different aftertatstes based on how large a sip you take. A very large sip leaves a more porterish aftertaste while a small leaves more smoked flavors. It’s a very interesting beer.

Jredner, Mar 06, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Obtained this 2005 bomber in a trade with BigLove a little while back. The beer inside was dark brown while pouring and black after settling in the pint glass. The head atop the opaque body was light beige in color and one finger thick. While the looks were good, the aroma was otherworldly smoky, underlain by a chocolate smell. The smokiness was also unmistakable in the taste, but it was far from overwhelming, and permitted chocolaty sweet and lemony sour flavors of a very well made porter come through. The hops were also present with a citric bitterness. Mouthfeel was chalky and dry, while still being silky smooth. No hint of harsh graininess in the aftertaste, just smooth long drawn out smoke. After tasting this spectacular beer, I wish more brewers would start experimenting with smoked malt. I would love to get my hands on more, as this would be phenomenal with more age on it, as the layers of flavors merge. It was still a world class beer as it was.

rajendra82, Mar 06, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Sample from a 22oz bomber from 2005. I can say that I've never really tasted a smoked porter before this one. I still like the Stone version but damn I am mad I didn't team this one up with the pulled pork I made last weekend. The appearance is a black with a nice brown head which disappears over time while leaving no lace even after a second pouring. Taste is coffee, roasted, smokey goodness while being a super smooth beer. This is a perfect beer tonight as a little snow comes down and I read "Beer School". I am psyched to have received this in a trade and thanks to BA for that one.

WeymouthMike, Mar 02, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz bomber

A- dark dark dark brown, damn near black with a very thin tan head. Head did not hang around for very long. Tan lacing on glass.

S- heavy smoke and roasted scents, had to force myself to stop sniffing this thing and drink it.

T- Taste as good as it smells. Heavy roasted flavor with a nice bitter flavors. Finishes smooth, with a delicous smoked malt aftertaste that lingers for a bit.

M- smooth and full bodied.low on carbonation.

D- without a doubt, this is a sipper instead of a gulper. ABV level is moderate at 6.5%. Still wouldnt recommend for session drinking. Eye opening and refreshing. Must try brew, especially for porter lovers.

tonistruth, Feb 27, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A 2004 bottle opened after one year. We're in the PNW so the nose reminded me of an exquisite smoked salmon dinner. The smoky nose is FULL. Color is dark brown with a true porter 1 inch head. Subtle touch of caramel at first taste then the smoky hops envelope the taste buds with a somewhat fruity finish. I enjoyed this with a med-rare BBQ brisket. The choclately flavors came out back and forth when I would take a bite of the steak, and then again with the porter. I need to try this with a smoked salmon dish. I've had it with a regular King Salmon and I still enjoyed it better with the brisket. I have another 2004 bottle I'm aging.

bodybyadam, Feb 27, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Dark as dark, it is, with a tan head, about a quarter inch, sitting on top. Some lacing that stays pretty wet and slides down the side as you drink it down.

Smells of molasses and dark brown sugar, slightly toasty. Any smoke flavor is old smoke, possibly hickory, but I'm not sure because it was faint and far away.

The coffee mocha flavor in this porter sticks out as well as the brown sugar from the smell. Not too thick for a porter. Syrupy sweet, almost to a fault. The hops are just bitter enough to offset the malt in this. A little more of the smokiness in the dry bitterness.

This is a good beer and a good porter. Looks good, smells good, tastes good and has a good feel. It doesn't really get past that point, though, and the sweetness is a bit more than I want so it makes me less likely to have another. With the 22 ounce bottle, that's a given. But it is still another impressive brew from this brewery.

misterscooter, Feb 26, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

I was in Portland for work and went out to meet some old neighbors from Chicago. The bar they took me had this on tap. I was stoked! The beer is black with a dense tan head. Nice lacing.

The beer has a nose of dark fruits (plums & raisins). Some definite wood smoke lingers in the background.

The taste is sweet and malty with fruit undertones. The smoke flavor is prominent but not overpowering. The beer becomes a bit woody with hints of chocolate. Slightly burnt (or should I say charred) aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is nice and firm. Extremely easy drinker. I wish they had this one in Chicago. Well done indeed!

Redrover, Feb 24, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours into the glass with a thick black color that almost no light penetrates. The head is thin, when poured lightly, and has a great light brown color.

The nose is full of sweet fruitiness up front with a great subtle smokiness in the background. As it warms up, a sweet alcohol smell comes through too.

The smoke is much less subtle in the taste...and here I thought that Stone Smoked Porter was smoky! The sweetness is present on the front of the tongue but a great roasty bitterness develops, as well as a mild alcohol taste, as it moves back in your mouth. The aftertaste is strong with smoke...tastes like a campfire smells. It's quite silky in your mouth with a good sizzle of carbonation.

All in all, a truly great smoked porter.

UberWasser, Feb 22, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Truly a great smoked porter. I know this sounds weird, but the alder-smoke must be the same way they smoke Alaskan salmon because the taste similarities are undeniable. It has the exact same smoked flavor of it, but of course doesn't taste "fishy". One sip and you'll pick up on that unique flavor that reminds you exactly of Alaskan smoked salmon.

I'm not normally a big fan of smoked porters, but this one will change anyone's minds. Deep, rich color. Decent head retention, but this beer is all about it's strong unique flavor. Not a beer you want to drink every day, but a great occasion beer. I like bringing one of these on a boys fishing weekend. Perfect beer to drink after catching some trout.

Callenak, Feb 21, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1%

2005 Edition

Deep, dark brown. Almost black, but enough light filters thru to see some reddish highlights.

Nice woody smoke aroma in the nose, curling around the sweetness of the malt and creating some interesting nose candy.

Smoke is totally a factor in the taste, otherwise it wouldn't be called what it is, juneau what I'm talkin' about? But the smoke doesn't overpower the hop bite that lurks within, nor does it cover the rich chewy goodness of the malt.

Mellows out into smoked chocolate, which isn't as bad as it might sound. Matched up well with a chunk of dry peppercorn Jack cheese and smoked salmon on Ritz crackers.

A total winner in my book. If only it was more available. Deserves the status it has achieved.

germaniac, Feb 17, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Maybe my expectations were too high for this beer. I was thrilled to pick up three of these in Portland, last November. There was a light roasted aroma with, of course, a smoky and a bit of oak aroma. I had expected a more powerful smoked smell. Virtually no head, no matter high hard I tried. Heavy smoke taste, which covered up any other flavors. This was good, but not great. This beer is definitely made to pair with something from the smoker.

doubleipa, Feb 13, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a pint bottle into a chalice. The body of this stuff is thick dark. You won't see a more opaque beer. Not much of a head or lacing.

To the nose, the charred smoke overwhelms you. A little of the malts on the top - but it's hard to get past the smoke.

In the mouth, you again are overwhelmed by the smokiness. It's a pleasant flavor - not sour or rotten, but just over the top. As it warms, the molasses sweet malts are present and tend to complement the smoke slightly. In the back, the alcohol is there and tends to intensify.

This is one smooth, creamy brew. Thick and chewy. The finish is not as dry as I'd like - there not much change from the mouth flavor.

Musings: This is a tough beer for me to drink in quantity. The smoke flavors are way to extreme for me. It's a solid porter, but I enjoy a more drinkable one - slightly dryer and not as smoky.

ChuckD, Feb 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I'm not sure there is really anything I can say about this beer that has not already been said. It had been a while since I've come across this gem. We compared this with Stone Smoked Porter in a vertical tasting during halftime of the Super Bowl. Now Stone makes an outstanding smoked porter, but it left me almost wanting to dump it in the sink so I could get on with drinking the Alaskan. So velvety and rich, with a smoke bite almost that of an Aecht Schlenkerla beer. Dumbfoundingly good.

crookedhalo, Feb 10, 2006
Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.