Alaskan Smoked Porter - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Smoked PorterAlaskan Smoked Porter

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

The dark, robust body and pronounced smoky flavor of this limited edition beer make it an adventuresome taste experience. Alaskan Smoked Porter is produced in limited "vintages" each year on November 1 and unlike most beers, may be aged in the bottle much like fine wine.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 10-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Smoked Porter Alström Bros

Bottle courtesy of Hogtownharry: Poured a black color porter with a quite big foamy head with some good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of smoked malt is dominating with some dry roasted malt notes also noticeable. Taste is dominated by smoked malt with a well balance mix of dry roasted malt. I enjoyed the fact that while still being a smoked beer it was well enough balance to enjoy other aspect (i.e. roasted malt). Body is quite full with some medium carbonation.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

2006 edition.

Well this is a new one... my first beer from Alaskan Brewing and I suspect my first beer from Alaska, period. Pours from a 22oz bomber into my goblet, and fills it with a lush looking deep brown (nearly black) beer. There's a toasted red-tan head that settles in around the outside edge and lies low, but sticks around a good while.

This smells great, if you like wood-smoke. Very reminiscent of a Rauchbier, the first thing to hit your nose is a smoky, meaty wallop that reminds me of a peaty scotch -- Lagavulin, anyone? Hiding behind the smoke are the usual porter suspects of coffee and roasted grain, but they hide well. Alaskan Smoked Porter certainly lives up to its name.

The flavor is equally bold. For a poor approximation of this, take some liquid smoke and squirt some into a good porter -- say Anchor -- and stir. The flavor isn't unpleasant, but it's assertive and rich. I suddenly question the wisdom of drinking this on one of our miserable 90 degree Carolina nights. Oh well, too late now.

But I'm getting sidetracked. I'm tasting a lot of smoke character, which wraps up the sweet roasted malts, coffee, cocoa, molasses and burnt sugars in a thick smoked blanket. The flavors complement each other nicely, but I can't help but think there's a little too much smoke going on here. The mouthfeel is near perfect though, fizzy without being harsh and smooth going down. The aftertaste is again more smoke and burnt grains and lingers long. Interesting.

This is an oddball beer. It's good, but much like a smoky, salty scotch, it's not something I'd drink on a regular basis. Kudos to those crazy Alaskans for doing something different and doing it well. Give me a bottle of this on a frigid Northern night while I'm sitting on beech logs around a roaring fire and my score would likely be much higher. It's all about context.

More kudos to Edgelow for the bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

2006 edition. Thanks to Edgelow for the trade on this one. The first review of many from that trade. :-)

A- Very dark brown, almost black, with ruby highlights when held to the light. has a solid couple fingers of head after a moderate pour, that settles to mild lacing on top and leaves no lacing on the glass.

S- Tons of dark roasted grains, roasty malt, nuttiness, black bread and toast. Just a hint of sweetness comes through the strong smoky aroma, and increases as it nears room temperature. A faint hint of alcohol is there too, but no hop or yeast aromas to speak of... which is fine for the beer and the style.

T- Some initial dark maltiness with a hint of sweet, quickly overridden by burnt toast, a hint of acridness, strong dark roasted grains, and some smoked meat. Not like a rauchbier, but closer to that than a normal porter. Finish is more of the roastedness, but it's not overwhelming.

M- Medium-full body with medium carbonation and a quite dry finish.

D- It's a very good beer, enjoyable, but the smoke may be a bit too strong to drink a lot of it. I'd recommend trying it, though. And pair it with some beef jerky. A match made in... the woods.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Drank out of pint glass. This is my last bottle of this bad boy and I’m sad that’s it’s only the second I’ve had. It’s a terrific beer. Enjoying with some cheese and crackers. 2006 edition.

Appearance- Pours extraordinarily dark brown with a huge foamy tan head. Not a lot of lacing down the glass but more than you would expect. Leaves a nice cap the entire duration of the beer.
Smell- Very mellow alder wood smokiness permeates the glass. A light roasted malt gently sits in the background. Reminds me of the drippings in the bottom of my green egg when I smoke beef jerky.
Taste- This beer is extremely mild in all facets. A mild sweetness from the roasted malts tickles the tongue to start followed by the extremely pleasing smoke. It’s definitely the star of the show but not at all in an overpowering, unpleasing way. Slightly bitter with a very very subtle fruitiness. The smoke lingers in a nice sweet, mild finish with tinges of alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Thinner than you’d expect from such a beer. Light, semi-watery feel with vibrant carbonation. Very little alcohol warming.
Drinkability- This is such a good beer! I honestly can’t think of a better beer to sit down with some cheese and crackers or anything Bar-B-Q’d. It’s such a fantastic Porter I wish I could regularly get my hands on this stuff. Definitely in my top 5 beers.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

22oz bomber served in a snifter 2005 vintage

Pours the darkest brown without hitting black possible, very light tan head. Smells incredible, like hickory or mesquite smoke and just a hint of the malt reminding me this is a beer and not beef jerky. Taste is almost sweet with the smoke pushed a bit more to the back than the aroma. Somewhat creamy, but not as much a non-smoked porter. Wins me over as I love anything smokey tasting. Finished great with a nice whiskey.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

22 ounce bomber of the '06 vintage. Got this and an '05 from my buddy ThetaChiBro. Many thanks. Gonna try this relatively young sample and hang onto the '05.

Bomber poured into a 20 ounce nonic.

A - Just about black in color with a finger of tan head. Rings of lacing coat the glass top to bottom.

S - Big smoky, earthy aromas. Some sweetness wants to poke through but gets knocked back by the huge smoky lead.

T - Wow, TONS of smoke in the flavor. Really tastes firey, if that's possible. Can pick up on the sweet malts underneath, but they're almost immediately shoved back to being nothing but an afterthought.

M - Nice feel, basically medium bodied but leaning more toward the full side.

D - This is a tough call. Does the intense smokiness hurt the drinkability or add another layer of flavor to the brew? I'm digging it right now. Adds a whole new level of robust to this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

2006 Vintage, tasted in July 2007

Appearance: Pours an espresso brown color with a modest tan head that leaves the occasional splotch of lace

Smell: Dark chocolate and dark fruit with a considerable amount of alder smoke

Taste: Starts out with a bitter, but fruity, dark chocolate flavor that is joined, mid-palate by the alder smoke; after the swallow the flavors magnify into the finish

Mouthfeel: Rich and full-bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Just superb, as always

I was curious about the shelf like of AK Smoked Porter and tried the 2006 again on 7/15/13. Faded, but still drinking fine.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

I've had this a few times, but have yet to review one. Here goes... this is a bottle from 2005.

Pours a deep dark brown color, with a nice sturdy off white head.

Aromas are of smoke and peat. Very pungent smelling beer.

Taste is of roasted malt, caramel, and is just a bit sweet. The finish has a nice touch of smoked malts, and peat flavors. Excellent balance between sweet roasted malts, and smoke.

Mouthfeel is good. It's creamy, full, and quite supple.

Drinkability is top notch. This is an excellent smoked beer. I would have a tough time picking a favorite between this and Stone's.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Bottleworks, Seattle, WA
2006 vintage

Poured a dark brown/black with mahogany colored edges. There was no head but only small, light tan bubbles that faded to a thin ring.

The aroma was rich, smooth and quite smoky. The smokiness was hickory-like and rather strong. Coffee was noticeable as well, along with some notes of dark chocolate. A slight rummy-alcohol quality and a general sweetness came out as the beer warmed.

The taste was subtle up front but crescendoed as the beer moved along the palate. Roasted and smoked malts were instantly recognizable. Notes of dark coffee came through mid-palate. The big, smoky, charcoal, dry, bitter, slightly hoppy and espresso-like finish was really where this beer came alive. Notes of dark chocolate, burnt currants, raisins, brown sugar and a touch of creamy sweetness lingered in the aftertaste. Smoky and sweet flavors seamlessly melded in this brew.
The body was medium-light with a semi-creamy mouthfeel.

This was a good beer overall but I would have liked to see the flavors come through on the palate as strongly as they did in the finish. For a pairing, I would highly recommend a plate of wild Alaskan smoked salmon.

2005 bottling. Pours brown-black with crimson and scarlet tones. Small but solid creamy, dark tan head; thin but present lacing. Aroma of liquor (dark rum), woodsmoke, black tea, dark fruits, salt, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is relatively light and mildly carbonated. Flavor is dominated by thick, woody, sappy smoke – molasses, chocolate, and coffee take a back seat. Sourdough undertones throughout. More smoke in the finish; sour and bitter aftertaste.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Wonderfully dark with an excellent smoked aroma, reminicient of a great Rauchbier. I had both the 22 oz bottle and tap, in my opinion the keg beer smelled and tasted smokier and the other flavors : chocolate coffee and - bacon? - were a bit clearer. It felt good to roll around in my mouth and left a lingering smokiness. Felt like having a good cigar and beer rolled into one.
The head was creamy, but not overly large. Overalla great quaff.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

This 22oz. bomber, vintage 2004, pours black with some ruby highlights and a large bubbly head. Leaves some decent lace.

The aroma is distinct but not particularly strong. Very smokey with a bit of coffee and malt.

Flavor-wise, it’s extremely smokey. Little else seems detectable at first. Once the taste buds adjust, I detect some roasty malt, and a bit some caramel sweetness. Most of the beers flavor characteristics, however, seem to be overshadowed.

Smooth and creamy but a relatively clean dry finish. I definitely prefer Stone as far as smoked porters are concerned.

Alaskan Smoked Porter
22 oz bomber
Moderate pour in a stein.
2006 version, consumed 06/07

Poured black with some faint brown highlight with a large frothy somewhat lasting head with fair lacing.

Smelt of strong smoke with moderate chocolate, coffee, burnt grain, It is also reminescent of smoked salmon in a way... Maybe just a brain associatioin, Alaska, salmon, smoked, but it is oddly mineral.

Taste was upfront perfectly balanced strong smoke wit hmoderate chocolatey bitter sweet touches followed by a more pronounced moderate roasted malt bitterness and some cocoa and faint sour and sweet dried dark fruit.

Palate was medium bodied, softly carbonated, creamy and velvety and lightly astringent.

Overall, smoked porters are my favorite style so the points are skewed a bit, but I think I have found the paragon of the style. There is definately a mineral edge to it, and that puts it over the top. I need more of this or I need to move to Alaska.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big frothy head on top of a beautiful black/brown brew. The aroma is unmistakable. Smoked fish and campfire goodness, even some bacon thrown in. It is incredible and wonderful. Hits your tongue in a smooth wave of smokey-charcoal goodness that rolls over the tongue, never bitter, just a satiny taste of the great outdoors and I loved it. A tatse treat that is very drinkable for anyone who is open to a unique brew experience. This is as enjoyable a porter as I think I've ever had.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

2006 Release

Appearance: It's dark brown and opaque. No light getting through at all. Carbonation must be rather light as the head is a very modest one finger. Very short retention and light lacing.

Smell: Very smoky aroma. Big on roasted malts. Definitely has a bit of chocolate and espresso in there as well. It's very straight forward.

Taste: Initially, it's all roasted malts. The smoked taste is inescapable, but it's very, very good and adds a lot to this beer. Definitely has a much better smoked taste than Stone's smoked porter. Espresso and dark chocolate flavors add some depth and sweetness on the tail.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. The carbonation of this beer is very intriguing. It definitely did not produce much of a head, but it doesn't taste that lightly carbonated. Who knows? Overall, this is a very, very good beer. Extremely drinkable. Definitely recommended..

2006 vintage.

This has to be one of the most interesting porters I've ever had. Great roasty notes dancing the tango with the smoky malt flavors. Really good beer. Warms up well too, this is one to have on had at all times durring the colder months. Pairs nicely with food too, almost any kind of red meat dish would be perfect. I had it with some pasta with roasted red pepers, yummy. Hats off to the brewers.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

2006 vintage
Wow what a beer. I have to say I was skeptical of what one person called “fishy beer” but I was won over immediately. That smoked salmon smell is powerful and appealing once you’re over the initial shock. Thank fully the smoke is only accent to the malty goodness. This is a serious beer, not a gimmick.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

John's Marketplace had both the 2005 and the 2006 vintage, so I figured I would try the 2005 as my first smoked porter.

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bomber. I had difficulty getting much of a head, which was thin, rocky and tan. The head also dissipated rather quickly, to my disappointment. Color of the porter was very dark, hardly any light getting through at the edges.

Smell was what I expected, smoky and roasted, but not as much as I was hoping. The small, short-lived head was probably to blame.

Fortunately, the beer was not short on taste. Definitely the smokiest beer I've tasted. Kind of reminded me of charred barbeque. The smokiness lasted from the beginning of the sip, until long after the swallow. The long-lasting aftertaste is great! Not that complex, but straightforward smoke and dark roasted malt for a long time. I also tasted more hop bitterness than I expected at the end, which helped fill out the taste. The medium body almost didn't keep up with the intensity of the taste, but it was well matched for how little carbonation there was.

This was a slow-drinking, very flavorful beer that needed a food complement for me. I was disappointed by the lack of carbonation. I think a little more would have really helped the appearance, smell and mouthfeel. Perhaps I had a bad bottle? Still, it was definitely worthwhile. I want to try the 2006 now.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

22oz bomber. 2005 Vintage. Tasted side by side with a Stone Smoked Porter. Shared with bross242 and dannosparks. One of 31 beers in an incredible day of drinking.

Appearance - Dark brown with a ruby red tint. Poured a tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell - This smelled exactly like smoked salmon. The smokiness was by no means overpowering. In fact, I thought it was spot on. I also picked up some dark roasted malt.

Taste - Dry roasted malt with a slightly bitter finish. There is also a hint of burnt chocolate as well. I really did not taste any smokiness, and I figured I would have because of the aroma.

Mouth - Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation.

Drinkability - I thought this was an absolutely fantastic beer. It is extremely drinkable, unlike many smoked beers in my opinion. I could drink many a pint of this beer. Blew Stone Smoked Porter out of the water in my opinion.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a hard one to track down for a while, but worth the search. It has the aroma of smoked fish, and the taste is the same. Still light enough in alcohol to drink a 22oz. bottle and be ok. It is one, if not the best smoked beers I have ever had.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

I finally found a bottle shop in SLO county that carried this after lusting for it for so long.
22 oz bottle enjoyed with my roomates and brother right before my 21st birthday celebration a few months prior
Appearance is pretty standard for the style: dark, opaqua, very little light
Smell: Quite tasty smelling. Minimal smoke, chocolate, coffee, toffee, roasted malt
Taste: Phenomenal. I am not a huge fan of porters, but this is fantastic. I usually classify porters as watery stouts, but this one id thick, full bodied, and a beer that should define its class.
Mouthfeel: Good stuff, as I have come to expect from ABC
Drinkability: One could imbibe on this for quite a few pints

4.38/5  rDev +5%

2005 bomber, poured into a Chimay goblet.

Poured black. Small medium dark brown head that disspates quickly leaving a collar. Light lacing.

Aroma of dark malts, molasses.

Taste is of dark malts, coffee, dark chocolate and smokey burned wood [alder].

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing. Lighter than expected.

Overall, a delightful beer. Obviously well made and well thought out. Quite impressive. Smoke is not as overpowering as others I have had, and that is a good thing. Ages well. Good with BBQ.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Picked up a 22 oz. bottle (2006 vintage) on my last trip to Seattle and managed to get it back to Boston in perfect shape. The smell blew me away when I first poured it, it was like a campfire in my nostrils. I loved the smell. It poured with a nice dark brown appearance, like most porters. The taste wasn't as pronounced as the smell, but you could definitely taste the smokiness. This is a beer that one should drink with a nice bbq meal, or else by itself in order to truly appreciate it. I wish I brought a few more back with me to age.

4.38/5  rDev +5%

Poured a 22 oz bottle into a glass; 2006 vintage.

A: Pours dark, opaque, with a brownish beige head that laces as the beer is consumed.

S: Briny smoky aroma, slightly on the sweet side combining sugar and smoking.

T: Starts with the briny smoke flavor, morphs into malty sweetness with a little bit of coffee and caramel, and ends with a grainy flavor that combines with bitterness.

M: medium body beer that clings to the inside of the mouth as it finishes.

D: a very delightful beer that would pair well with a barbecue; smokiness limits drinkability to one or two in a sitting. Reminds a lot of a smoked marzen but with slightly more malt complexity and coffee flavor.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Talisker for the trade! Poured a deep black with a thin head that quickly diminished to a ring and left no lacing. The aroma was of dark malt with just a hint of smoke. The smoke in the flavor was just right; not at all overbearing and in perfect balance with the malts. The beer light and the alcohol was very well hidden. This is an extremely enjoyable beer.

Alaskan Smoked Porter from Alaskan Brewing Co.