Alaskan Summer Ale - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Summer AleAlaskan Summer Ale

good

good

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Kölsch |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

Alaskan Summer Ale balances a softly malted palate with the clean freshness of hops. In the tradition of the style, neither overpowers the other. Both hops and malt come together to refresh and renew the palate. The straw-gold color and easy drinkability are an enjoyable way to celebrate summer.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Summer Ale Alström Bros
pgfault

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

Poured into std pint glass with little head, although it maintained carbonation throughout. I've had a couple other Kolsch style beers recently and the Alaskan comes up considerably weaker than the others. The distinctive Kolsch flavor is only slightly present in Alaskan, making this taste more like an American lager than a true Kolsch. This will be my only 6 for the summer. Hopefully they can bring up the Kolsch flavor next year.

06-18-2012 00:19:52 | More by pgfault

Washington

01-21-2012 07:42:31 | More by cougarbait
Flyer

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

Take this review with two grains of salt. First, I had it in a plastic cup on an airplane, which takes "improper glassware" to a new low. Second, I was feeling irritated because the flight attendant had said they carried Alaskan Amber, but when I asked for it I got this instead. (Can you do a place review for an airplane? Can you use a negative number to rate the knowledge of the waitstaff?)

The appearance and aroma were disturbingly reminiscent of a macro, with a vaguely corn-like quality and a macro-brand of light hoppiness (think Coors Light). The flavor was clean, with a minimum of malt and hop flavors -- I struggled to identify any ale-like qualities. Since I normally don't drink Kolsches or Summer Ales or whatever you want to call this, I want to be fair, but this beer was all about refreshment and little more, and it wasn't particularly refreshing. (A good tripel can be very refreshing, and so much more.) I can appreciate that craft brewers may have to expand into more drinkable styles to survivie, but this just goes too far for me. Not recommended.

Serving type: can

ShakaShakaShaka

10-11-2012 18:36:40 | More by ShakaShakaShaka
Atricapilla

2.53/5  rDev -29.5%

This beer has a hazy yellow color with a small head. The aroma was fairly weak consists of a (slight) wheat and citrus. The flavor again was a mixture of wheat and corn followed by a weak hops finish. Overall fairly bland, but goes down easy on a summer day.

07-10-2007 01:27:15 | More by Atricapilla
Ilafan

2.55/5  rDev -29%

This disappointed me. The label is awesome, but the beer is pretty average. It was quite light when poured with no lacing, no head, and virtually no fizz. The smell was non-existent. The taste was very rich but pretty sour for my taste. Not something I would have again.

07-04-2012 21:14:20 | More by Ilafan
SamN

Colorado

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured into a regular tumbler pint glass.

Looks perfectly average; slightly better color than a basic adjunct lager, a little darker and golden hued. Weak, thin head that doesn't last. Very lively beer, lots of bubbles. Smell is that classic kölsch odor; like tart dust is the best way I can describe it. Smell is dry and musty. To say there is some fruit in there might be a stretch, but I think I detect some grape and lime aromas, actually. Not a whole lot of malt smells, but I don't detect much in the way of adjuncts. I can't tell what exactly gives kölsch that specific aroma, perhaps the type of hops used? Can't tell. Either way, I don't like that smell very much. I've smelled worst, but still, it doesn't do it for me. Taste is of a slight caramel sweetness, then the delicate hops tinniness of the style takes over and ruins it all for me. Reminds me of lime rinds or mint leaves, a weird sweet, tart and musty taste.

04-19-2011 01:45:46 | More by SamN
B967ierhunter177

2.65/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear straw yellow with no head or lace. The aroma is faint lemons with hints of dough and cake. The flavor is balanced, even if plain, with a mix of crisp malt and hoppiness. There's a faint taste of medicine in the finish as it warms. The mouthfeel is light and slightly sticky. Alaskan Summer Ale is a decent beer, recommended.

03-03-2012 22:59:54 | More by B967ierhunter177
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

On vacation in Yellowstone I was looking for a refreshing beer after a day of rain in the park. This brew left me wanting so much more.

It poured a dark golden color that was clear and slightly bubbly. The aroma was almost non-present with just a slight bit of grain present. For taste it was a bit of grain and corn without much to enjoy. It was like a macro beer with a tad bit of extra flavor and no nastiness. It wasn't bad tasting it just didn't have much to offer. Plus since this was considered a premium beer at the BBQ place it wasn't worth what I payed for it. Not a repeat buy.

06-06-2010 18:10:17 | More by DesMoinesMike
MaggieReed

2.73/5  rDev -24%

At first I tasted this and thought it was a mis-pour and I had been given an MGD...which I dont completely hate...

Maybe that initial reaction is a little harsh...but this was a kinda wimpy beer for me. I know that that is the style, but I have had better versions of it. In the end, it is more drinkable as it warms than your average macro, but I am pretty underwhelmed here...

06-08-2009 07:02:44 | More by MaggieReed
Floydster

2.73/5  rDev -24%

Pint from Naja's Place during a hot September day

Pour was a light golden brown with a very small white foamy head that faded quickly

Smell was a little malty

Taste was weak except for a few hoppy accents

Could drink a lot of these because they are smooth and light, but not very tasty

Much better summer beers out there

09-15-2007 02:19:36 | More by Floydster
WaydeRafnel

04-12-2012 03:56:32 | More by WaydeRafnel
Doctor_J

06-20-2014 23:39:40 | More by Doctor_J
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

I don't know what my problem was with this beer, maybe it was the style, or maybe it was the brewery, but it just wasn't working for me. If I had to put my finger on one thing I didn't like about it, I would have to say that the malt flavor just grossed me out, it was too sweet and really just gross. For a summer beer I don't want something that malty, and if it is malty, at least make it a good malt flavor. There really wasn't much of a hop flavor either, which would have helped I'm sure. No head whatsoever, no lacing. And since I didn't like the flavor, it was hard to drink, hard to finish too. I mean it wasn't god awful, it wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, so I can't grade it too low, it just really wasn't my cup of tea.

01-13-2011 15:10:08 | More by MaltsOfGlory

Gww1864

06-01-2012 16:44:47 | More by Gww1864
1759Girl

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance> Thick and creamy vanilla head, dark amber colour. Light bubbles. lookin good!Though dark coloured for a kolsch.

Smell> Slightly metallic and very alcoholic. hmmm

Taste> sweet, heavy lagery taste, bananas, grape acidity, but overly alcohol tasting which covers the other flavors

Mouthfeel> tingly, not pleasant.

drinkability> would prefer a different kolsch, or a different Alaskan Brew beer.

05-27-2008 18:46:19 | More by 1759Girl
Iowacraft

Iowa

06-12-2012 04:24:29 | More by Iowacraft
Alaskan Summer Ale from Alaskan Brewing Co.