Alaskan White - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan WhiteAlaskan White

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Witbier |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: bkilpatr on 04-11-2009

Alaskan White Ale has a soft, slightly sweet base with the unique spice aroma of coriander and crisp, citrus finish of orange peel. A light and effervescent body combined with the smooth palate creates a complex and delicate beer that is deliciously refreshing in any season.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan White Alström Bros
Ratings: 644 | Reviews: 165
3.85/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While I enjoy this style once in a while, I have yet to find an offering that I truly love. However, I found this to be more enjoyable to other wits I have had.

L- light and slightly hazy golden/orange. I swirled the last 1/4 and aggressively poured it to get the a good, two finger head (I assumed there was some yeast at the bottom by the style, although the bottle gave no indication to pour this way). Looks good however not as hazy as some other wits I have had so a little out of style.
S - I didn't get a ton here. Slight citrus, wheat and a tiny bit of banana esters. Not a very strong nose.
T- luckily this is where I most enjoyed the beer. Very flavorful compared to the nose and compared to many white ales I have had so far. Sweet, bready wheat and citrus. Estery, banana from the yeast. Very refreshing!
F- A little thin but I suppose that is expected from the style. For, it's sweetness and subtle spices it finished pretty crisp, making it a very easy drinking summer beer. Also the spices, particularly coriander are not overpowering which I prefer.
O- One of the better whites I have had. Basically a less artificial, more traditional Blue Moon.

3.56/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Alaskan Brewing's Alaskan White for $1.79 at Boyne Country Provisions. I'ts been a little while since I've had a White Ale and I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Witbier glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear yellow color that took on more of golden color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end with some patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some nice orange aromas being the first to show up and they take on more of an orange peel like aroma. Up next comes the spices with coriander being the first to show and it leads into a light malty aroma with some typical wheat aromas coming through and there's a light doughy aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but I wish the malts and wheat showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the orange still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects, but this time there's also a light juicy orange aspect. Up next comes the spices which are a little lighter than they were in the aroma, but the coriander still stick out the most. Up next comes the malts and wheat which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they show up same amount. On the finish there's no bitterness with an orange like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the orange and spices were toned down a little.

M Smooth, crisp, a little clean, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it tasted and smelled nice, but in the end I wish it had a little better balance. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple of these, especially in the summer. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and mouthfeel, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it needs some work. I don't think I would buy this beer again, if I wanted an orange heavy wheat beer I would just drink an Oberon, but I wouldn't turn one down. It's worth trying if you like your wheat beer heavy on the orange and a little heavy on the spice. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but i wanted a little more balance out of it, I think that would make it a pretty good beer. This beer is pretty average for the brewery and it's a little above average for the style. Nice job guys, but I think with a little more work this could be a pretty good beer.

2.8/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Smells and looks okay, but I couldn't get over the horrible metallic, bloody after taste.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled yesterday evening on 6/22/15. 12 ounce bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "BLIND TIGER BREWERY" pint glass.

Brew pours a hazy burnt-orange in color with a good 2+-finger foamy white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped. Lots of sediment is seen in the bottom of the bottle after the pour which is common actually for this brew style. Aroma is of wheat, coriander and citrus zest. The taste is close to the nose with some white grape with some spice also. You can taste the orange and lemon zest near the finish. Also a very slight bitter finish but didn't last more than a second or two. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it was a decent brew and better than some of this style I have had.

2.48/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light gold with some yeast settlement and thin white head. Little retention and lacing.

S: Wheat, citrus, lemon, orange peel, and coriander.

T: White bread, citrus, orange, some subtle tartness, coriander, and white grape. It surprisingly finished kinda sour.

M: Light bodied, low carbonation, not much to it.

O: Admittedly this is not a style I am particularly fond of. That being said this isn't a bad beer, it just lacks anything to make it stand out.

3.75/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A decent beer. Underrated on here.

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Refreshing, clean tasting wheat with spices reminiscent of a Belgian blonde ale. Decent.

3.54/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A decent hefe style. A bit sour on the aftertaste.

3.29/5  rDev -4.4%

looks good, smells good but the taste leaves a bit to be desired. I'm typically a fan of witbiers but with this one the coriander was a little overpowering

Perfect beer. Anytime out west, I try to find a sixer of this. One of my all time favorite beers. The spices perfectly compliment the white ale. Had it straight from the brewery and was even better than the bottle

3.36/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

from a single into a GI tulip

A: dull cloudy pineapple golden yellow with a big 3 finger head that slowly subsides
S: balance of wheat (that is a tad sour) and barley...very (too) faint coriander and orange peel
T: bready and a little sour in the front half, then some faint citrus (orange or lemon) and white grapes on the back...lacks definition when it comes to the spices and any kind of tart flavors on the fruit. Lingering balance between wheat, lemon, and a little coriander.
M: wet, medium carbonation (could stand some more); not as crisp as it might be.

Overall: this is okay, but not great. Even though I was hoping for something more interesting in the taste department, I still found this to be pretty refreshing. Doesn't really strike me as a proper wit...

3.59/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasty, but a little boring.

Pours a pale yellow with good clarity. Some yeast / banana peel in the nose. Taste of some spices, lemon grass, coriander. Low bodied mouth feel with a slight bitter aftertaste. Meh, I probably won't be coming back to this one, but that is more due to the style is not in my wheelhouse.

3.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

kinda plain and light, not my fave

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Hands down my favorite White Ale.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazy yellow color with a thick head with good retention and leaving a wall of laces.
Light aroma of banana, bubblegum and much later orange peels.
Flavor with lots of bubblegum, mild spices and sweet oranges. Hints of coriander.
Medium body with medium carbonation.
I love Alaskan beers, but this one was a bit disappointing, too bland on spices for a Witbier. Likely just an attempt to have a high volume beer under their brand. Well, I believe Witbier is the beer type with highest growth in the US (IPA is number two).
Ap.4 Ar.3,25 Sab.3,25 Sens.3,25 Cj.3,25

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Nose: Hints of orange and coriander and light bread but the spices are muted and a good does of barley malt.
Appearance: pours more gold than white or straw and less cloudy than a Wit but does have a very creamy white 2" foam cap.
Palate: the wheat and barley malt flavors are fairly balanced - could use some more wheat and could use a little wheat tang. the spiciness is a little muted.
Body: medium to a little above medium on the body, medium high carbonation.
This is a decent, drinkable, refreshing summer ale but will disappoint if you are expecting a wit.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

White pours a pale straw color with a very small non lacing head. There is a very mellow sweet and crisp aroma. The taste is light but crisp, lots of citrus fruits, hints of orange and lemon. Weaker body, watery flavors, stronger fruit flavors. Overall its a very light beer, with big fruit flavors, no traditional witbier flavors.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

A very light yellow with LOTS of carbonation. Very small head with tons of bubbles that dissipated quickly. Almost no lacing

S - Faint malt and hop smell. All smells are faint, but I smell some spice of some sort and fitness.

T - Light taste as well. A small amount of malt.

M light carbonated.

O - Would be a good fishing beer.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

This beer I've had for a long time as a quick refreshment after mowing the lawn, chopping wood or just home from work. Though brewed all year round, I'll probably be putting this off until next Spring.
Most of the time, poured into pint glasses. I opted for the mug tonight.
The appearance was a soft white to hazy orange color with a slim white head and barely any lacing.
The smell had a slightly sweet citrus with a nice spice aroma of coriander.
The taste copied the smell.
The mouthfeel had a decent sharpness but nothing overly cutting as it keeps a nice refreshing aspect about it.
Overall, a nice Summer beer that I'll put off to the side until next year. Cheers.

3.52/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very drinkable for a "white". This is labled as a "wheat with spices", not a "Belgian". Not sure what the spices are supposed to be, other than maybe slight coriander and very slight orange peel. Pours a deep rich golden, very clear, no haze. Head is minimal and dissipates very quickly -the only appearance "flaw". I could always use more arroma in almost any beer and this one is no exception. Mouthfeel is smooth. Light malt, slight hops (any more would destroy the balance). It is not outstanding, but very good. I like it for it's mild character that isn't bland. if I were to ever find it on tap, it could easily become a night-long session beer as several could easily be consumed. ABV is apparently 5.3, so the "session" could become a little wild in a hurry. I like it. It isn't great, but it is good and easily drinkable, which unfortunately i've had a few beers that I can't say that about.

Glass half empty edit: Noticing some bread flavors and still very light hops. Enjoying this one. The bread adds a nice texture to it that might be what makes it go down so smooth. Either the lights have dimmed or this has beer has become a bit more hazy in appearance. Still would love to have another. Not sure what the grains are, but sensing a presence of wheat (thus the haze), and maybe a light biscuit flavored variety. Good stuff !

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance - Bottle. Standard mark of 3.00 points.

Smell - Bitter orange peels. Wheat. Ethanol. Hint of lemon syrup. You have to really use your imagination to bring in what should be the proper fragrance for a witbier. Not impressive. Not impressive at all.

Taste - Smooth but really lacks in flavor and robustness. Instead I'm given a healthy dose of bitter and sour wheat mash and the ugly rind of an orange peel. Fades to a very faint white grape/raisin. All of these flavors are rather two dimensional. Drinkable. The finish is probably the best thing about this beer. Noticeable (and sorely missed) lack of candied dreaminess that goes along with this style.

Mouthfeel - Somewhere between carbonated and smooth. Average I suppose. Good finish.

Overall - Unimpressed. I was expecting more since I've really fallen for the Witbier style. Hoegaarden and Blue Moon are two great examples of what I look for in a Belgian White/Wheat aka Witbier style and in my opinion this brewery's take on it is less than satisfactory. There are worse beers out there but I think for a Belgian White this one has been the worst so far.

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle to glass. White head that quickly dissipated, hazy orange yellow appearance. Decent amount of carbonation. Smells of orange, wheat, and cinnamon. Tasted citrus, sweet, not bitter, hint of spicy notes, coriander. Crisp finish. Overall average wheat ale.

Appearance: pours a healthy 2+" eggshell fluffy head that recedes rapidly. Very faint lacing, abundant amount of carbonation bubbles streaming. Color is a cloudy gold.
Aroma: grassy wheat aroma dominates the nose, some faint white yeasty bread, and a hint of floral hops.
Mouthfeel: light and watery with a mostly dry finish.
Flavor: the grassy wheat flavor leads the way, there is some grape/raisin flavor in the finish. A bit of lemon and floral hops round out the flavor.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap during Thursday Night Football at the Fiesta sports book.

I had never heard of this brand before, this was a blind request. Until checking in here I had no idea this was a wheat beer - I thought it was Alaskan's attempt at a North American macrobrew. More quality than an NA macro, though with little pretty lacing and no purity of opacity.

Alaskan White from Alaskan Brewing Co.