Follow our progress ...

Alaskan White | Alaskan Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review
3.4

Alaskan WhiteAlaskan White

Alaskan Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Alaskan White Ale has a soft, slightly sweet base with the unique spice aroma of coriander and crisp, citrus finish of orange peel. A light and effervescent body combined with the smooth palate creates a complex and delicate beer that is deliciously refreshing in any season.

Added by bkilpatr on 04-11-2009

Reviews: 174 | Ratings: 717
2.87/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this from a bottle into a clear teardrop glass. It pours a dark golden with with a white head. Drinkable, but not a great beer. I don't really taste malt or hops, just coriander. Not my thing. The only beer by this brewing company that I haven't liked.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a slightly hazed, copper-gold coloring with a ton of carbonation bubbling feeding a foamy, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of subtle coriander, orange rind, lemon zest, banana, and nutmeg. Flavors are light, sweet forward notes of banana, with subtle spice highlights of clove, coriander, and nutmeg. Decent flavors and balance, but muted. The body is light, effervesced to a crisp point, which really dulls the aftertaste, which comes out a subtle banana bread character. The finish is crisp and bubbly, with a subtle sweet linger. Easy drinker, but there are better Wits out there.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a burnished gold, small head, lots of carbonation activity. Smells of pine, flowers, bananas. Taste of tropical fruit continues with a nice hop zing. Clean, refreshing.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a pretty "meh" beer. Nothing special at all. It is probably well done for the style, but this is such a boring beer with very little complexity. Not a bad beer for a hot day, but not great.

4.31/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden color with lots of streaming bubbles and has a slightly soapy/creamy white head.

Smells of white bread, biscuits, orange citrus, sweet malts and some spices.

The taste is a bold punch of that citrus and I could detect some hops bouncing around in the background. There is also a faint banana taste in here. Strange but also catching a taste like fresh clean water.

The mouth feel leans toward the medium side with that nice chewy feel of a classy wheat beer.

I am very impressed with this beer. There was hits on all levels with this beer. I really see this as a nice cool refreshing summer beer. And for all that I will go so far as to say it just does not matter what time of year it is, this is a very tasty and refreshing beer should you be looking for one.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Looks nice, gives those hazy and bright colored yellow feels. Drops a 3/4" white head on the top. Aroma was grandma's spice rack, meh.

Taste kept the spice rack from being as heavy as in the nose, but you better be down with coriander and shit if you're gonna drink a 6 pack of this. I'm ok w/ it in small doses. But I don't want a full 12oz at a time of this.

Some orange peel to it. Well carbonated, somewhere between traditional and blue moon garnish American witbier.

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I had this here in Texas so it may not be as fresh as they claim it should be. In any case:

(L) It had a golden amber hue with a white head, it looked pretty nice.

(A) The aroma was wheat, yeast, and some orange/citrus.

(T) The taste was also wheat, yeast, coriander, orange, but also other fruity flavors. It was overall pretty mild tasting though.

(F) Moderate carbonation and overall refreshing and crisp.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had the look and the smell of a nice wit but the taste was a little off and the carbonation level was a little flatter than I would expect for this style. I'm a fan of wits and a fan of Alaskan Amber but this brew was just okay.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, best by 010316
A - foamy white head slowly fades atop a tangerine colored ale
S - earthy, wheat, yeast, spice
T - yeast, orange zest, peppery coriander, wheat, earthy hops
M - lighter body, moderate carbonation, finishes peppery, zesty, and semi-dry
O - pretty average Belgian white. More of a disappointment than anything.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Semi-clear with finer flecks, golden amber, with fine, foamy off white head of medium retention, though completely gone before finished. Smell denotes oranges, orange peel, sweet bread, banana, touch of coriander. Taste strongly favors orange peel, and after that coriander. Pale malts, yes, wheat character somewhat weak, or balanced-out, which is also reflected in mouthfeel. Extremely light and subdued peppercorn in the back, but otherwise a fairly clean finish. Nothing is so strong or interesting to make me seek this beer out again, although I certainly wouldn't scoff and one offered. Medium-bodied, watery, higher level of prickly but variable carbonation, almost spritzy, crisp, but should be smoother I think. Still good, though.

I absolutely love this beer! Everything about it is perfect, Look, Smell, Taste, Feel, all exceptional! The mild taste of orange and coriander are perfect. The beer goes down so smooth and doesn't leave you feeling full. The first time I tasted it was in Alaska. Had I known then it was not available at home I would have had a few cases shipped to my house. If it was available in Ohio, I would buy a keg and put it in my frig. Currently I have a keg of Shock Top but I would gladly replace it! * * * * *

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 02Apr15) into a pilsner glass.
LOOK: Pours with two finger's worth of white foam that probably would of been bigger, but the glass prevented it from doing so. It shrinks down to half a finger's worth after one minute. Straw yellow in color. The amount of rising bubbles is high. Also, there is a horrendous amount of yeast settling on the bottom of the glass and floating throughout the beer.
SMELL: Mild aromas of coriander, pale malts, wheat, and orange peel meet with hints of sour yeast and bitter hops.
TASTE: Strong flavors of coriander combine with mild wheat and pale malt flavors to create to the initial taste. Mild orange peel and hints of sour yeast, bitter hops, and lemon peel (came out of nowhere) flavors enter immediately after as all flavors persist, except for coriander, which grow stronger.
FEEL: Somehwre between medium-bodied and light. Moderately amount of carbonation. Goes down smooth and finishes crisp. The spicyness of the coriander tickles the tongue.
NOTE: An average witbier. This had too much coriander, though. I'm hesistant to even call it anything but a spiced beer.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance:
Deep golden color, hazy. Lots of small bubbles streaming. Thick bright white head.

Aroma:
Grainy, grassy, wheaty, some orange peel and spices.

Taste/Finish/Body:
Grainy, grassy, wheaty, cracker. Hint of orange peel and coriander. Semi-tart finish, a little dry. Body is light, crisp, refreshing, well carbonated, easy drinking.

Overall:
It's a good Witbier.

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

How have I never ticked this one? Surprisingly clear (for a witbier) light orange.. short-lived white head... Soft wheat and coriander.. orange peel seems a little sweet, but not bad.. Very nice when it is soooo hot... Drink colder or a bit of fruity ester arises that seems out of place.. Very nice and always a go-to for me in the summer months.

3.5/3.75/3.5/3.75/3.75

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While I enjoy this style once in a while, I have yet to find an offering that I truly love. However, I found this to be more enjoyable to other wits I have had.

L- light and slightly hazy golden/orange. I swirled the last 1/4 and aggressively poured it to get the a good, two finger head (I assumed there was some yeast at the bottom by the style, although the bottle gave no indication to pour this way). Looks good however not as hazy as some other wits I have had so a little out of style.
S - I didn't get a ton here. Slight citrus, wheat and a tiny bit of banana esters. Not a very strong nose.
T- luckily this is where I most enjoyed the beer. Very flavorful compared to the nose and compared to many white ales I have had so far. Sweet, bready wheat and citrus. Estery, banana from the yeast. Very refreshing!
F- A little thin but I suppose that is expected from the style. For, it's sweetness and subtle spices it finished pretty crisp, making it a very easy drinking summer beer. Also the spices, particularly coriander are not overpowering which I prefer.
O- One of the better whites I have had. Basically a less artificial, more traditional Blue Moon.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Alaskan Brewing's Alaskan White for $1.79 at Boyne Country Provisions. I'ts been a little while since I've had a White Ale and I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Witbier glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear yellow color that took on more of golden color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end with some patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some nice orange aromas being the first to show up and they take on more of an orange peel like aroma. Up next comes the spices with coriander being the first to show and it leads into a light malty aroma with some typical wheat aromas coming through and there's a light doughy aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but I wish the malts and wheat showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the orange still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects, but this time there's also a light juicy orange aspect. Up next comes the spices which are a little lighter than they were in the aroma, but the coriander still stick out the most. Up next comes the malts and wheat which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they show up same amount. On the finish there's no bitterness with an orange like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the orange and spices were toned down a little.

M Smooth, crisp, a little clean, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and it works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it tasted and smelled nice, but in the end I wish it had a little better balance. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple of these, especially in the summer. What I like the most about this beer is the appearance and mouthfeel, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it needs some work. I don't think I would buy this beer again, if I wanted an orange heavy wheat beer I would just drink an Oberon, but I wouldn't turn one down. It's worth trying if you like your wheat beer heavy on the orange and a little heavy on the spice. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but i wanted a little more balance out of it, I think that would make it a pretty good beer. This beer is pretty average for the brewery and it's a little above average for the style. Nice job guys, but I think with a little more work this could be a pretty good beer.

3.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Hazy golden color with a two finger head that slowly recedes leaving a little lacing. Good nose of orange and spices. Taste is citrus with a good wheat backbone and enough hops and spice to provide an interesting finish. Medium body and medium carbonation with no alcohol or bitter aftertaste.
It's a solid and refreshing witbier that is good on a summer day. It's not something I'd seek out or buy a 6er of.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled yesterday evening on 6/22/15. 12 ounce bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "BLIND TIGER BREWERY" pint glass.

Brew pours a hazy burnt-orange in color with a good 2+-finger foamy white head. A decent amount of lacing is seen when sipped. Lots of sediment is seen in the bottom of the bottle after the pour which is common actually for this brew style. Aroma is of wheat, coriander and citrus zest. The taste is close to the nose with some white grape with some spice also. You can taste the orange and lemon zest near the finish. Also a very slight bitter finish but didn't last more than a second or two. Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, it was a decent brew and better than some of this style I have had.

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light gold with some yeast settlement and thin white head. Little retention and lacing.

S: Wheat, citrus, lemon, orange peel, and coriander.

T: White bread, citrus, orange, some subtle tartness, coriander, and white grape. It surprisingly finished kinda sour.

M: Light bodied, low carbonation, not much to it.

O: Admittedly this is not a style I am particularly fond of. That being said this isn't a bad beer, it just lacks anything to make it stand out.

3.29/5  rDev -3.2%

looks good, smells good but the taste leaves a bit to be desired. I'm typically a fan of witbiers but with this one the coriander was a little overpowering

Perfect beer. Anytime out west, I try to find a sixer of this. One of my all time favorite beers. The spices perfectly compliment the white ale. Had it straight from the brewery and was even better than the bottle

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

from a single into a GI tulip

A: dull cloudy pineapple golden yellow with a big 3 finger head that slowly subsides
S: balance of wheat (that is a tad sour) and barley...very (too) faint coriander and orange peel
T: bready and a little sour in the front half, then some faint citrus (orange or lemon) and white grapes on the back...lacks definition when it comes to the spices and any kind of tart flavors on the fruit. Lingering balance between wheat, lemon, and a little coriander.
M: wet, medium carbonation (could stand some more); not as crisp as it might be.

Overall: this is okay, but not great. Even though I was hoping for something more interesting in the taste department, I still found this to be pretty refreshing. Doesn't really strike me as a proper wit...

Pours a pale yellow with good clarity. Some yeast / banana peel in the nose. Taste of some spices, lemon grass, coriander. Low bodied mouth feel with a slight bitter aftertaste. Meh, I probably won't be coming back to this one, but that is more due to the style is not in my wheelhouse.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazy yellow color with a thick head with good retention and leaving a wall of laces.
Light aroma of banana, bubblegum and much later orange peels.
Flavor with lots of bubblegum, mild spices and sweet oranges. Hints of coriander.
Medium body with medium carbonation.
I love Alaskan beers, but this one was a bit disappointing, too bland on spices for a Witbier. Likely just an attempt to have a high volume beer under their brand. Well, I believe Witbier is the beer type with highest growth in the US (IPA is number two).
Ap.4 Ar.3,25 Sab.3,25 Sens.3,25 Cj.3,25

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Nose: Hints of orange and coriander and light bread but the spices are muted and a good does of barley malt.
Appearance: pours more gold than white or straw and less cloudy than a Wit but does have a very creamy white 2" foam cap.
Palate: the wheat and barley malt flavors are fairly balanced - could use some more wheat and could use a little wheat tang. the spiciness is a little muted.
Body: medium to a little above medium on the body, medium high carbonation.
This is a decent, drinkable, refreshing summer ale but will disappoint if you are expecting a wit.

Alaskan White from Alaskan Brewing Co.