Alaskan Perseverance Ale (Pilot Series) - Alaskan Brewing Co.

Alaskan Perseverance Ale (Pilot Series)Alaskan Perseverance Ale (Pilot Series)

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Alaskan Perseverance Ale is a Russian Imperial Stout. This style was chosen to celebrate our 25th anniversary of brewing on the Last Frontier in our coastal home of Juneau, Alaska.

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 09-03-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alaskan Perseverance Ale (Pilot Series) Alström Bros
TheDudeRules

2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured into my Founders snifter.

Very black pour. Three fingers of very solid mocha head. The promising look is intact.

Smell is odd. It's sweet. But sweet like if you've ever been to the prairie and ran through the grass. Sweet vegetation smell. Odd.

First sip the only thing I notice and have to pause to take in is the mouthfeel. How thin is this beer? Paper thin. Annoyingly so. No body. No warmth. Bleh.

Taste is sweet like molasses. Aftertaste is like someone took charcoal and raked it across your tongue.

Pretty awful. A sad display of 25 years. Fire that brewer so he/she won't disgrace your name again.

09-09-2011 03:32:26 | More by TheDudeRules
harrymel

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

a: pours black with a little foam patch and ring. no lace. Plain appearance.
S: smells sweet with esters. Hints of acetone and little else. Reminds me of a RIS I did that fermented entirely too hot.
T: Smoky. Is there smoked malt in this? (reads bottle, doesn't say). It's gotta have some smoke in it. Then some molasses tones. A sweet and dark malt profile with an interesting spice tone, must be the birch.
M: Surprisingly thin IMO with moderate carb and a semi dry finish.
O: Really disappointed with the overall structure of this beer. I think they missed the spot as their beers are typically robust and this one is delicate and sweet; a poor showing for their 25th anny.

12-08-2011 11:01:11 | More by harrymel
sparx1100

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

01-17-2012 04:16:11 | More by sparx1100
BigE90

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%

a) dark in color, a little light coming through though, small head that faded quickly

s) not a lot going on, you can smell some syrup and honey and a little malt but nothing over powering or really standing out from the pour or just sitting there

t) wow, immediately reminds me of the Smoked Porter then quickly fades to some sweetness followed by a hop bitterness. After several tastes though the bitterness and sweetness are starting to leave a bad after taste and that is all I can taste which I am not liking

m) very light and thin, consistency of a brown ale not a RIS, very surprised at the lack of body or complexity in this

o) I wanted to like this very much but came away very disappointed. I had high expectations but the flavors just did not convey what a RIS should be and the biggest surprise was the very light mouthfeel. I don't think cellaring is going to help as not a lot is going on flavor wise. No hurry to open my other bottles.

09-03-2011 06:18:37 | More by BigE90
chugalug06

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Has to be one of the chunky-ist, thin beers I've ever seen! Lots of black and toasty caramel colors.

Phew. Smokey. Smells like rubber. Not a big fan. Roasty, peaty, and nutty.

Very funky un-blended flavors and mouthfeel. Lots of heavy chocolate and sweet syrup flavors. Carbonation is simply too much and very distracting. Bitterness is missing, but dryness is very forward. Chewy.

Um. I'm not sure what direction this brew wants to go... It's kind of a mess, I wanted to LOVE this brew, but it nearly avoided my drain... I am not a smokey beer fan, at all. Very average.

05-25-2014 22:58:37 | More by chugalug06
Hopstout

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

07-10-2012 02:28:50 | More by Hopstout
julian

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Dark brown in color with a minimal head on an aggressive pour that fades entirely within a minute or so. zero lacing.

S: Some roasted malt, brown sugar, charred wood, smokey

T&M: This is a little too over-carbonated for my liking, and I think a little too dry. A lot of the body and flavor has been stripped away. There is also a little astringency to this. As for taste, it's roasty with some harsh bitterness. Not that great.

O: I'm not entirely impressed with this. They've done much better in styles similar to this (oatmeal stout) and could have made something great with this Anniversary RIS. I am disappoint.

09-09-2011 00:27:07 | More by julian
ccrida

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

Cellared since release, poured into my Delirium snifter, Perseverance is black with a pretty tight, tan head leaving foamy lace.

Smell is really sweet, baltic porter.

Taste is modestly smoky, with some sweet malt. There's a lingering acridness on the back-end leaving an unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, medium bodied, but sticky.

Drinkability is ok. This just didn't thrill me very much. Something about the wet sock aftertaste, the high residual sugars, the lack of depth. Eh. Disappointing.

04-26-2012 02:02:51 | More by ccrida
beerandcycling88

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

On tap at the Collins pub.

A pours a thick black color with a thick mocha head.

S very smoky, reminds me off their smoked Porter and kills off anything else that might be there.

T again very smoky with some chocolate and a bit of roastiness.

M seems thin for an RIS.

Overall not bad but a little too smoky and thin for me.

10-10-2011 19:57:06 | More by beerandcycling88
MrTopher

2.95/5  rDev -23%

I think I am thankful I just bought 1 of these, because it was a bit of a let down. But I’ll let my review speak for itself.
Served from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip.

A – Dark rich mahogany brown approaching the color of black, but not close enough. Some really small brown bubbles resonate and gather on the edge of the glass. It sure looks beautiful.

S – Sweet smells, but nothing that really dominates over it, there is a very mild roast smell. Overall very disappointing, was expecting something from the description on the bottle.

T – Super sweet, and this could have come from the addition of the honey and the maple syrup, but also could have come from the malt. There is some roast/smoke on the tongue as well. But then there isn’t really anything more, I was left empty inside wanting/expecting more from this.

M – Thinner than I was expecting from a big stout like this. Carbonation was good.

O – I wouldn’t buy another bottle of this, I was left empty inside and wanting more. Alaskan could have nailed this, but I think they just missed it by a hair.

11-01-2011 19:09:32 | More by MrTopher

12-08-2011 08:12:20 | More by LSUPT
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a solid black color with a stingy tan head that dissipates to a ring on top. Smells like a foreign extra stout at first whiff. Restrained roasted grains, caramel and brown sugar, a hint of wintergreen, slightly herbal and earthy aromas. Really not smelling like an Imperial stout at this point. Taste is sugary with that herbal earthy flavor to it. It's kind of a mix of wintergreen and anise wrapped up in chocolate and coffee. Finish is fairly dry with a long lingering wintergreen and sweet roasty stickiness coating my mouth. Medium to thick body with a low to moderate level of carbonation and a thick sweet sticky mouthfeel. I love how this is different and kind of outside the box, but I also hate the flavor the birch sap gives it. The herbal wintergreen flavor just doesn't agree with me or my sense of stout. Glad I got to try it, probably one and done for this guy.

12-12-2011 01:41:15 | More by johnnnniee
jjanega08

25th Anniversary No other freshness dating

A= Pours a nice deep black color with a thick deep tan brownish head that falls at a moderate speed with some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S= Has a nice woody character to it. It says birch syrup on the bottle but I smell mostly birch wood. The underlying stout is a bit roasty but somewhat tame for an imperial. Slightly metallic on the nose as well.

T= The taste again starts slightly metallic before it fads to the birch woody taste. There is a considerable amount of roasty bitterness on the finish. I don't get much of what I would call syrup from it but again there is a woody character. A solid flavor but not enough I guess. A bit light for an imperial stout on the flavor for it being so high in the alcohol. If I'm drinking all that alcohol I want a lot of flavor to go with it.

M= The mouth is very light and warming. Slick and smooth on the tongue.

O= This is an average imperial stout I'm sad to say. It isn't bad and the woody character is pretty interesting but it doesn't wow me or step outside the box for me. Average and what I hate to say is maybe a bit below average for an anniversary beer. I was maybe expecting a bit much based on the brewery and the 25th anny. Worth checking out but I won't be going in for more.

04-19-2012 03:28:17 | More by jjanega08
jdense

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

22 oz. bottle shared with Tyler at Barley Brown's, 10.17.11, poured into shaker pint glasses.

One finger brown head, quick dissipation with broken layer retained on topic of dark brown body, above average lacing. Nose is muddled, probably due to funky ingredients, had to take a real deep whiff to pick up any chocolate notes, sweetish. Taste is very very sweet for style, chocolate doesn't come through until far into back end, some citrus hops, and most unfortunately, a bit of ash, like rolling around a chocolate in an ashtray, ugh. Mouthfeel is very watery, thin at best, not much effervescence. IMO pretty bummed that this was their 25th anniversary beer, wish they had amped this up ABV-wise or better yet an Imperial Smoked Porter-now that would have been nice. Might benefit from extended cellaring, not sure that will benefit the weak mouthfeel. Sadly, we didn't even finish the bottle.

10-18-2011 16:42:36 | More by jdense
vkv822

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

My review seems to have been lost, or I didn't upload, but this is from a few years back:

Near black, with ruby edges when held to light. Thin, foamy light tan head, short lived.

Maple syrup, heavily roasted malts, light cocoa.

Medium- thin body with foamy carbonation.

A decent beer, but nothing particularly memorable. The roast seems a bit much at times, while the syrupy sweetness is also a bit overdone. Would have also liked more body.

04-09-2014 08:55:40 | More by vkv822
DaveHS

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

A-Dark brown with ruby highlights. Thin, almost nonexistent head. No lacing.

S-Earthy, woody syrup, wood smoke, booze.

T/M-Very boozy and dry. Tastes really young. Mouthfeel is oppressively dry. Hard to taste much else, unfortunately. I'm not getting any of the syrup, which is especially disappointing, considering how much it played into the aroma.

O-I won't write it off entirely, as I've found some of Alaskan's strong ales need a few months/years to reach their full potential. I am disappointed that this was released so young. I can't help but think that if they had let this sit for a few more months in the bottle prior to releasing it, they might have a better beer on their hands.

09-17-2011 02:56:47 | More by DaveHS
ArrogantB

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

On tap at Hops and Pie. I was glad to get a 4oz pour for $4.50 since it was happy hour and now I don;t have to buy a bottle! I've been a little let down by Alaskan pilot/special beers except for the barleywine so I didn't want to drop $9 on a bottle. This was obviously black and the head was robust and tan. Smell was malty. The first flavor I got was bubblegum, hops? As I took more sips I got some sweetness (syrup, honey?) and roast but a hop bitterness was persistent and stood out to me. Overall, not bad but glad I didn't buy a bottle.

09-03-2011 01:26:34 | More by ArrogantB
EgadBananas

Louisiana

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Pours thick and black. Head was a medium tan, light brown color. Retention was nice, and the creamy head left some spongy remains.

Definitely some honey, and a very slight smoke/char. Fair sweetness and roasted quality.

Much more roasted, with hints of chocolate and coffee, but more honey and birch syrup...though I think maple would have gone better. Very minor smoke if at all, which is a little disappointing. Just a lot going on it and it's not predominant enough to really make itself know. There's some alcohol heat too.

Average feel. It's a bit creamy, medium to full in body.

A bit let down by this at this point. I'll hold onto another bottle and hopefully time will do this well, cuz it's kinda a mess currently...

09-17-2011 18:21:15 | More by EgadBananas
Ryan011235

3.18/5  rDev -17%

Poured into a snifter on 11/12/11

Inky brown pour; not quite black in the glass. Cherry singes around the edges. One finger cap of foam doesn't last long; a thin layer and collar retention remain. not much lace either, save a drippy trail across part of the glass.

The aroma is rather sweet. The honey doesn't seem distinctly appreciable, but there is a tangy, herbal sweetness that I'm chalking up to the birch syrup. Dark roast sits underneath with hints of chocolate and toasty grains. Hint of earth and wood. Not much booze at all.

The base stout is a bit more assertive to taste, but the additions still obscure it too much. Roasted chocolate and coffee bitterness provide a much needed dryness, lest the sweetness of the birch and honey residuals totally take over. I find that the flavor blend together a little better as it warms. As with the nose, the abv is pretty much hidden.

The feel falls somewhere between full and medium, perhaps a bit more toward the former; perhaps. Nimble viscosity. Carbonation is a bit higher than I prefer, but it calms a bit over time.

Perseverance isn't bad by any means but it isn't amazing either. I'll have no problem finishing my half of the bottle.

11-13-2011 00:49:14 | More by Ryan011235
emmasdad

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

I had this one on tap this afternoon at Hops & Pie. At least I didn't have to buy the bottle. Poured an inky black color with an inch or so of medium brown foam on top. Aromas of roasted malt, mint and dry chocolate. On the palate, this one was fairly full bodied and medicinal, with flavors of roasted malt, honey and mint.

09-26-2011 01:53:18 | More by emmasdad
Alaskan Perseverance Ale (Pilot Series) from Alaskan Brewing Co.