Hopothermia - Alaskan Brewing Co.

HopothermiaHopothermia

Alaskan Brewing Co. visit their website
Alaska, United States

Nugget and Apollo hops added in the brew kettle provide a green, floral aroma and citrus hop base, while the later addition of Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial hops add notes of spicy grapefruit and orange - complimenting the resilient malt profile.

(Beer added by: sprucetip on 11-28-2012)

Professor_Yeesh, Sep 21, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

BGW17, Sep 20, 2014
3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

booga73, Sep 20, 2014

joe12pk, Sep 18, 2014

Bottle > Tulip Pint
A - Cloudy orange amber with a finger of foamy white head, little lacing.
S - Aroma is kinda nice, orange, citrus zest, bready malt, pine.
T - Bread malt forms the base, not as much hop potency as I'd like in a double IPA, though the alcohol sneaks up on you thats for sure, its got all your basic citrus hop profiles, and a sweet finish.
M - Chewy but goes down smooth.
O - Decent but nothing great, glad to have tried it.

Omnium, Sep 18, 2014

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

gratefulbeerhead, Sep 12, 2014

aoampm, Sep 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Nose: citrusy hops, rich malt, caramel, hint of cola, herby hops, a hint of sweat (cumin?)
Brilliant dark amber to light brown under a very lightly tan tinted white 2" persistent foam cap, lacy,
Palate starts out with rich malts and a hint of cola, plum, followed by grapefruit rind bitter, tropical fruit, and pepper. The slightly sweet beginning dries out by the finish. Very rich blend of hop flavors and well balanced by the malt and alcohol.
Creamy, smooth. medium to medium full body, warming.

pat61, Sep 11, 2014

STLine, Sep 07, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Justdoit1234, Sep 06, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I picked up a bottle of Alaskan Brewing Company's Hopothermia last week for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from Alaskan Brewing Company before and I intended to start off with their basic beers, but I was in the the mood for a hoppy beer tonight and this one caught my attention, so lets see how it goes. Best 10/29/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, I like the frozen hop cone and the name plus I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy orange amber color that took on more of amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy and slightly creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a good looking DIPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mixture of piney and citrus like hops with them seeming to show up evenly and they make for a nice hoppy aroma. Up next comes a slight bit of fruity yeast followed by the malts which impart a sweet malt and caramel malt like aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, I liked the balance between the citrus and piney hops.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same exact aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most, but it is a lighter than it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel malts sticking out the most by a little this time and there's just a slight bit of fruity yeast. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness that lingers just for a little bit with a piney and citrus hop like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but i wish the hop profile was as bright as it was in the aroma and I wish the bitterness was toned down just a little.

M- A little smooth, crisp, a little dry on the finish, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouth and it's pretty close to what I would expect from a DIPA.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a somewhat above average example of the style, it looked good and the appearance was pretty nice, but when i got to the taste it just came out a little lighter than I would want and I didn't feel like the hop flavors matched the intensity of the bitterness and that's something I look for in the style. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, crisp, a little dry on the finish, slightly filling and the taste just did an Ok job at holding my attention and I think one be the limit for me, anymore than that and I think the ratio of hop flavor to bitterness would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both good and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, it just was a little rough around the edges. I don't think I would buy this beer again, since there's many more DIPA's that I like more, but I wouldn't turn one down. I would say it's worth a try if you like the style, but I can't say I would recommend it as a good DIPA. All in all I thought this was pretty close to being a solid DIPA, but it just didn't have the refinement it needed to compete with the better beers in the style. This beer made for a decent first impression for Alaskan Brewing Company and I would be interested in trying more of their beer. I would say it falls right in the middle as far as DIPA's go. I appreciate the effort, but I think with just a little work this could be a pretty good DIPA.

StoutHunter, Sep 06, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Greels, Sep 05, 2014

sammyg832, Sep 04, 2014
Hopothermia from Alaskan Brewing Co.