Old Knucklehead Barleywine - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Old Knucklehead BarleywineOld Knucklehead Barleywine

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-16-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Knucklehead Barleywine Alström Bros
RangnaR

sia478

01-17-2014 18:33:20 | More by sia478
halvbeerson

4.64/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally drinking a barleywine after way too long. Went to the store tonight and saw this on the shelf. Bought one to drink and one to age. Here we go.

A: Color is a caramel, wood color but when held up to the light is shows a cherry, amber color. Good lacing after taking a sip. Carbonation is as expected with a barleywine. Half a finger head with decent retention. Moderately cloudy with a color that says drink me, I'm full bodied.

S: Definitely a caramel aroma partnered with a hint of oaky, nuttiness. Hop notes are spicy.

T: The oak really comes out with a full drink, along with the great barleywine taste I was hoping for. Also the caramelly flavor lingers after the gulp is gone.

M: A moderately thick or heavy feel that coats the tongue nicely which helps the taste linger. The carbonation was just right for me considering what I am drinking.

Overall: I am really glad I bought this beer, it's been far too long since I enjoyed a barleywine. I am definitely not disappointed. Every sip is enjoyment.

01-09-2014 03:36:45 | More by halvbeerson

British Columbia (Canada)

12-04-2013 07:05:28 | More by Erik-P
artoolemomo

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance- Pours up little head which has almost no retention. The head is a light to medium beige while the body is a cherry with hints of maroon which appears maroon/amber when held up to the light. Leaves rings of lacing/sheeting.

Nose- Not the aroma that I was expecting from a barleywine. Notes of coconut, vanilla, and toffee from the bottle. But from the glass, it's a whole different ballpark. Apricot which moves to other stone fruits- notably canned peaches. Almost smells like the syrup. Some hints of cherry. Slight notes of caramel, oak, vanilla, and toffee are underneath the strong fruit from the glass but they are minimal in comparison. The aroma from the bottle is the exact opposite for the most part. Swirling reveals a pretty generic stone fruit profile.

Taste- Starts off with the stone fruits of the nose. Apricots being the strongest and then a little bit of coconut asserts itself and becomes very dominant. A good amount of vanilla. Some caramel and toffee. There was almost a leather quality that seemed to accompany the stone fruits of the front. Very noticeable heat in the middle but not really on the finish which was weak in comparison to the flavor profile of my first taste. Cherry as well but is not as strong as the apricots which are seconded by peaches. The dominant vanilla of my first taste seems to fade into strong oak. Some burnt caramel on the finish combined with some matchstick, slight grapefruit. This is very different from the barleywines that I'm used to but I like it. Lots of presence but it really isn't that messy. The noticeable booze, however, does suggest aging. I don't know if I would classify it as a really good beer (the oak is a little off putting) but it is definitely a good beer. Nice pine and resin on the finish to contrast the considerable fruit of the front. Every once and a while, a nice little note of coconut hits me and nudges this closer to being a really good beer.

Mouthfeel- A little more than medium bodied with a good amount of syrup to the texture. Carbonation is low key and fits the style.

Drinkability- Remarkably accessible for a fresh and noticeably hot barleywine. This beer flirts with being dangerous, especially at the price of 6 bucks a bomber.

Overall- I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I know it's almost a 4 but so is Bigfoot and I find this beer to be much more accessible fresh than that one. This may just be the 2013 version though. My reading of reviews of this beer seems to suggest that this 14th release is a different beast than previous ones. I can't comment on those but I am pleased with this version. I will be buying additional bottles for aging. This is definitely worth a try.

11-16-2013 05:42:32 | More by artoolemomo

08-02-2013 05:46:52 | More by William85
Kuaff

Alaska

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%

Served to myself in a snifter at cellar temperature.

The Old Knucklehead has a one-finger off-white head on a transparent, dark ruby body. Looks attractive.

Smells like butterscotch, raisins, cherries, and some fluoral hops. Very nice, very nice.

The taste gives me sweet and buttery butterscotch (is that redundant?) and caramel at first, transitioning into earthy, woody hop flavor. A nice breadiness in the finish that's both sweet AND bitter. However, the sweetness feels a bit out of balance to me. This may be classified as an American barleywine, but I would have guessed it to be an English one. Definitely tastes more like the sweeter English style to me.

A thick body and lax carbonation. Pretty good feel to it.

Well, there are other barley wines which I think are way better than this, but it's still a very good one. Moderately recommended.

07-30-2013 00:17:58 | More by Kuaff
ccozzi

06-26-2013 03:05:48 | More by ccozzi
FadedWonderland

Oregon

I bought this beer out of a genuine curiosity because I have been interested in Bridgeport Brewing for a couple years now and after seeing this on the shelf at my local grocer, I figured I would give it a shot. Needless to say, after buying my seventh one, I'm a firm believer that for the price that this is a great brew. Great smooth taste, beautiful brownish orange color, strong aroma, and a good beer for relaxing and enjoying with some friends.

06-17-2013 05:28:37 | More by FadedWonderland