Old Knucklehead Barleywine - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Barleywine |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-16-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Knucklehead Barleywine Alström Bros

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Appearance- Pours up little head which has almost no retention. The head is a light to medium beige while the body is a cherry with hints of maroon which appears maroon/amber when held up to the light. Leaves rings of lacing/sheeting.

Nose- Not the aroma that I was expecting from a barleywine. Notes of coconut, vanilla, and toffee from the bottle. But from the glass, it's a whole different ballpark. Apricot which moves to other stone fruits- notably canned peaches. Almost smells like the syrup. Some hints of cherry. Slight notes of caramel, oak, vanilla, and toffee are underneath the strong fruit from the glass but they are minimal in comparison. The aroma from the bottle is the exact opposite for the most part. Swirling reveals a pretty generic stone fruit profile.

Taste- Starts off with the stone fruits of the nose. Apricots being the strongest and then a little bit of coconut asserts itself and becomes very dominant. A good amount of vanilla. Some caramel and toffee. There was almost a leather quality that seemed to accompany the stone fruits of the front. Very noticeable heat in the middle but not really on the finish which was weak in comparison to the flavor profile of my first taste. Cherry as well but is not as strong as the apricots which are seconded by peaches. The dominant vanilla of my first taste seems to fade into strong oak. Some burnt caramel on the finish combined with some matchstick, slight grapefruit. This is very different from the barleywines that I'm used to but I like it. Lots of presence but it really isn't that messy. The noticeable booze, however, does suggest aging. I don't know if I would classify it as a really good beer (the oak is a little off putting) but it is definitely a good beer. Nice pine and resin on the finish to contrast the considerable fruit of the front. Every once and a while, a nice little note of coconut hits me and nudges this closer to being a really good beer.

Mouthfeel- A little more than medium bodied with a good amount of syrup to the texture. Carbonation is low key and fits the style.

Drinkability- Remarkably accessible for a fresh and noticeably hot barleywine. This beer flirts with being dangerous, especially at the price of 6 bucks a bomber.

Overall- I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I know it's almost a 4 but so is Bigfoot and I find this beer to be much more accessible fresh than that one. This may just be the 2013 version though. My reading of reviews of this beer seems to suggest that this 14th release is a different beast than previous ones. I can't comment on those but I am pleased with this version. I will be buying additional bottles for aging. This is definitely worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Served to myself in a snifter at cellar temperature.

The Old Knucklehead has a one-finger off-white head on a transparent, dark ruby body. Looks attractive.

Smells like butterscotch, raisins, cherries, and some fluoral hops. Very nice, very nice.

The taste gives me sweet and buttery butterscotch (is that redundant?) and caramel at first, transitioning into earthy, woody hop flavor. A nice breadiness in the finish that's both sweet AND bitter. However, the sweetness feels a bit out of balance to me. This may be classified as an American barleywine, but I would have guessed it to be an English one. Definitely tastes more like the sweeter English style to me.

A thick body and lax carbonation. Pretty good feel to it.

Well, there are other barley wines which I think are way better than this, but it's still a very good one. Moderately recommended.

I bought this beer out of a genuine curiosity because I have been interested in Bridgeport Brewing for a couple years now and after seeing this on the shelf at my local grocer, I figured I would give it a shot. Needless to say, after buying my seventh one, I'm a firm believer that for the price that this is a great brew. Great smooth taste, beautiful brownish orange color, strong aroma, and a good beer for relaxing and enjoying with some friends.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a clear, bubbly amberish/burgundy color with 1 finger of light tan colored head. Very nice lacing left behind while I sip on this.

S - Smells of some slight dark fruits, rum raisins, and some slight earthy hops. Nothing extraordinary.

T/M - Some more of the dark fruits, and some toasted oak notes make this one very tasty! Some vanilla notes are present as well. Nice blend of flavors with a little alcohol warmth. Medium slick mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

O - This a damn fine barleywine. Has a lot of the same charasteristics of Sucaba. Nice warming feel as it goes down, good malt character. If I could get this regularly, I would more than likely get this again.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a bomber in early February from Total WIne for $5.99. From No. 013 bottling.

Beer poured reddish-brown with a nice white head that has some pretty good hang time.

Nose is toffee and caramel with some dark fruits.

Taste is well balanced, dark fruits and caramel dominating up front with a nice citrus hop punch finishing things nicely.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and pretty smooth.

Overall a tasty barleywine that is not to far off from being an excellent brew.

4.55/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Used my trusty snifter for this one. The body has a intensely dark ruby red shade with an off white almost beige head.
The aroma's are earthy, like forest mulch after a morning rain. I'm picking up oak of course along with tobacco, an overloaded wicker fruit basket, grains, and alcohol. A feast for the schnoz.
The hops that hide in the aroma profile come out in the flavor rather nicely. I taste a lot of sweet malt and molasses, along with some dark unidentifiable exotic fruits. You'll notice a hint of vanilla and toffee in the mix as well.
The mouthfeel is full bodied with a crisp hoppy finish.
Overall this is a great barlywine, that has all the elements you want in this style to stand up and take notice.

Old Knucklehead Barleywine from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub