Ebenezer Ale - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

good

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-20-2001)
3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours a dark brown, with a red tint to it. The head is tan. It fades slowly leaving very few laces. It smells slightly fruity. It also has a slightly spicy aroma. There is not much to the aroma. I think the only thing I can put a name to is a slight grape like aroma. I can not detect any hop presence. It has a nice toasted malt taste. I can taste grapes slightly. As with the arome, I taste no hops at all. It has a very slight cinnimon taste, but not much. This beer is sort of lacking on flavor and aroma. Perhaps some more hops and some spices would help. This beer goes down smooth. It is carbonated well. It leaves a sweet taste on my palate. This beer would make a good session beer because it is low in alcohol, and the flavor is very non aggressive. I doubt I will try this one again.

OStrungT, Jul 29, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

The dark, coffee brown beer shows a little red on the edges when held up to the light. Because of sediment, the pour was extra careful and didn't elicit much of a head at all.

Not much smell to this one. When I finally figured out what I thought I was smelling, I took a taste and realized that it was a grape/red wine smell. Maybe a mulled wine. This one didn't taste bad and would be a good warmer but I did feel like someone had taken a standard beer with some nice maltiness and thrown in a splash of wine. I can't think of too often that I would want that. I usually want a wine or a beer. But not together.

misterscooter, Jul 21, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Arrived via the Christmas spirit a few months after XMas through delayed BIF Xmas 2004. Mad props to the BAs who know what they've done.

12 oz. brown bottle slightly chilled. Not sure about which vintage that I have here. No freshness or born on date. However, given the high ABV and bottle conditioning, I could see this one lasting a while.
Pours a mahogany with rosy cheeked highlights. A quickly dissipated head collapse to a sticky ring. Kept all the yeast in the bottle, still comes out nice and clear.
Extremely muted aroma. Very faint sticky sugary malts.
Creamy smooth roasted malts. The sticky and sugary roasted malts with molasses are on the front end. Just a hint of bitterness from the malts on the backend of the flavor profile, with some bitter chocolate flavors.
Goes over smooth and easy, coating the entire mouth. Finishes rather clean.
Very drinkable. I could see myself using this as a winter warmer. Did the trick tonight, with a bit of chill in the 50 degree air...

Dithyramb, May 27, 2005

Dark ruby color with a beige cap. Leaves little lace rings and a thin layer throughout consumption.

Smells fruity with some pine and a hint of alcohol. Slight spice notes are faintly detectable.

Taste is less pummeling then most warmers. Lighter flavors are still rich and full. Somewhat sprucey with a slight bitterness. Very good and nicely balanced.

More drinkable than other warmers, although I believe aging for too long may not be in the cards.

KoG, May 19, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Rocky tan head with healthy retention. Body is the color of blood at midnight.
Aroma: Beautiful sweet malt/ caramel aroma with cherry fruity hints.
Flavor: Not as intense as the aroma, which is kinda a let down. Restrained bitterness. Very mellow, the caramel that was all over the aroma is not apparent. The malt is more bulgar wheat. Cherry fruityness is still there, but without the sweetness. Hints of chocolate cola are also present.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, but nothing special. As I have this winter warmer in mid-march, I wonder if it would have tasted in the brutal coldness of mid-january.

Naerhu, Mar 21, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz. brown bottle with a picture of Scrooge himself on it. Maroon/Scarlet body, with a 1/2" of foamy tan head. Smell is slightly cinnamon and giner, and also slightly hoppy. Taste is a nice winter warmer, very easy to drink. Alcohol and plenty of different spices abound. Mouthfeel is very creamy, appearing almost flat but does offer a slight tingle when swallowed. Aftertaste is slightly coffee and chocolate, but the spices dominate this beer. Good sipping, but not overwhelming. I thank babydoc for the sample of this beer.

TastyTaste, Mar 02, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: This beer poured a clear ruby red that faded to amber around the edges of the glass. The light tan head rose up easily to well over two fingers and dissipated slowly. It became dense and frothy as it did so, clinging tightly to the side of the glass. A respectable amount of lace was left behind.

Smell: This was an odd one when it came to smell, and it was hard to put a finger on some of the aromas due to them being a little "out there" when it comes to beer. Roasted malts and hints of hops were evident. These were joined, however, by cherry cough syrup, cherry cola, sweettarts, vanilla, and a vegetal component. Very odd, but interesting and complex at times. Kind of a sweet/sour thing going on.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and smooth upfront, with a velvety carbonation that developed as the beer moved back into the mouth.

Taste: Nothing like what I expected from the aroma. Roasted and caramal malt were strong, but there was a huge huskiness that made the beer very dry and not as sweet as I one would expect. There was not much astringency, just a husky, raw component. This was joined my hints of bitter hops, light maraschino cherry, and some grassy overtones. Some dark chocolate and toffee rise up well into the aftertaste.

Oddly dry for a winter warmer. It kind of grew on me as I drank it, though. The dryness made it moreish and kept the drinkability rating high.

Thanks, babydoc!

Quaffer, Feb 22, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

A dark, semi-transparent brew with very pretty red shafts when put before a light. A very nice looking tan head that is nice while it lasts, but fades to a thin cover much too quickly. Leaves a coating on the beer that is still pleasant to look at.

Aroma is rich and malty, with an obvious spice tone (primarily clove?) that is fairly pleasant. Flavor follows through- with almost a smokiness tied to the hop finish.

Mouthfeel is moderate; drinkability is lower because I can't have much of these spicy brews.

I am not much for winter beers, and I note that my reviews tend to be rated lower for these styles, but overall this is a decent version.

Dukeofearl, Feb 19, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

From a cellared bottle, aged for roughly one year, and enjoyed at cellar temperature.
A dark mahogany body reveals cherry-stained highlights when held to the light; and it's creamy off-white head holds quite well and leaves some nice splashes of lace at the outset of the glass. Some vinous and cherry-like notes greet you in the nose, followed by a waft of chocolate and caramel. Overall, the aroma is somewhat restrained, but what's there is very nice. In the mouth it's medium-full bodied and creamy with a moderate, natural carbonation. The flavor, not unlike the aroma, is somewhat limited as well. The notes of cherry remain (they're not sweet, but still cherry-like), and the delicate cocoa flavor is there as well; but overall it's very restrained. Some alcohol is present but it's unobtrusive; and some leafy hops emerge in the dry finish. As a fan of English-style beers I can say that this makes a decent pint, but I'd imagine most American beer lovers will be left looking for more.

NeroFiddled, Jan 24, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

This beer departs the bottle a deep red color with a 2 finger head that falls to coat the beer. I get some piney and citrus hop and a very sweet malty core on the nose. The flavor is actually a little thin; very fleeting. There is a nice sweet malt, but it tastes like there are some spices in there that I'm not too keen on. I'm not really into the spiced beers all that much. The feel is moderate to thick, but something about it makes it seem thin. Overall, a ho-hum beer. Just okay as far as the nice winter beers go.

kmpitz2, Jan 15, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle with a blurb about the brewery and beer on the bottle. Notches on the bottom of the label may be freshness info, but I have no idea how it translates.

Appearance: Poured a dark red/mahogany color and a medium sized head. Head disappated fairly quickly and left a small amount of lacing.

Smell: Malty sweetness and an unidentified spice.

Taste: Mostly malt flavor with a finish of hops and spice. Mouthfeel is smooth, but slightly thin for the style.

Overall Impression: Tasty and quite drinkable - but not a standout in any category.

rowew, Jan 05, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -6%

received in a trade with babydoc (I believe) Muchos Gracias

A good beer. I guess winter warmers just don't excite me much right now. I'm in a "I don't want my beer to taste ordinary" phase at the moment. Been drinking alot of IPA, Imperial Stouts, Flander's Red's and other very flavorful beers recently.

But if you like a well crafted stronger than average ale, this one might be for you. Amber right on the edge of brown with a decent head, this one is nicely balanced. Malt flavor comes through with a few more hops than you would find in marzen or similar. No spices or other fruit flavors did I notice. This is the type of beer I wish I had been guzzling in my teenage years, rather than bud or Natty Ice. Type of beer you can drink all night, enjoy the taste of, but not feel too bad about missing the the intricacies of the flavor once you get smashed.

poundboy, Dec 21, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

12/17/04- Part of a 10pk of winter brews purchased at Cost Plus in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 12 oz bottle with no expiration date. Poured into my Englander pint glass.

Appearance- Light brown or deep amber color with a 3/4 inch head that quickly evaporates. Average lacing at best.

Smell- Your typical hops and spices. Do I smell tangerine?!?! Hmmm, intriguing.

Taste- Not bad, but nothing out of the ordinary. A bit weak in flavor. Semi watery, but not enough hops and or spices to catch your attention.

Mouthfeel- Light and a bit watery. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability- Have had many better winter beers than this one, although it's still worth a try. Just a bit boring to me.

GClarkage, Dec 17, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a deep Tawny port color with ruby red hues, thick creamy, redddish brown head.
head dissapates slowly and leaves a thick even glass coating lace.
Aroma is fruity, hoppy, flowery.
flavor is sweet, fruity,honey, mildly acidic, mildly spicy, with a piney hop background.
finish is slightly sweet, slightly bitter, with a touch of pine on the lips.
POS on 6 pack says it is "formidable enough to temper even the crankiest of spirits". Well it worked for me, I was in a bad mood and now I’m not. lol

Padron4KM, Dec 11, 2004
3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

I decided to try my Ebenezer Ale tonight. The rain, gloom and cold, sitting next to my fire, the night seemed right for a winter warmer. Old Ebenezer did the trick.

The color is dark with a ruby tint. Head is small and tan but laced more than I thought it would.
The smell is malty with a strong scent of some tropical fruit.
On first taste I thought it was too bitter too soon. Too harsh needs to be smooth for the introduction. The overall taste was good though. Its a little smokey, fruity and malty all at once and is a good warmer. A pinch of added spice from the hops makes this a choice beer as a winter warmer.

HochFliegen, Dec 07, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

I’ve always enjoyed the Dickensian character of Ebenezer Scrooge. Here’s a guy with the charismatic warmth of Dick Cheney’s socks who accidentally ingests some tainted mushroom gravy on Christmas Eve. He squares off against a platoon of disquieted ghosts and wakes up the next day singing We Are The World.

The moral of this story is, next time you hear Dick Cheney say, “Pass the gravy,” pass the man some gravy.

So Bridgeport has named their winter warmer for a literary figure who needed a beer to begin with. Good idea. The beer itself is a clear, glowing vermilion with no head but draping lace. They serve it too cold at Bridgeport (see related rant at Bridgeport ESB review). But my central concern is too much hops early in the boil. If I were a beer sculptor, I’d chip away the bitterness on this one just a bit and try to cultivate the maltier fruitiness that I prefer in a winter warmer. That’s just my personal preference, but I had my sights set on something a bit fruitier for the holidays than this 40 IBU ale.

Still, Ebenezer is a worthy brew and holds together quite well as a strong bitter.

RedDiamond, Dec 05, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Nice exterior presentation, in a slim 12oz brown bottle with a creative Dickensian label.

Beer pours a rich ruby-brown, with thick bubbles forming a two-finger head with good lacing.

Aroma: notes of alcohol, fruit (mango? pineapple?), subtle spice. Intriguing without being overpowering.

Taste: The high alcohol content (6.4%) is nicely hidden. There is malt, smoke, backbite of hops, and spice in a richer-textured that what one might expect. Clean aftertaste. As the brew slowly warms to room temperature, the beer takes on a mellower quality, encouraging one to savor it slowly. This is not a quaffer, but something to be enjoyed thoughtfully.

A very nice winter warmer, one that gives Samuel Smith's and Anchor Steam's seasonals a solid run for their money. I'm tempted to save the last bottle and see what a year of bottle conditioning might do to the flavor. Snap it up if you can find it this winter!

Hunter, Nov 15, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Dark with ruby red highlights. Big head leaning toward tan. Smells like hops followed by some sort of spice. This is loaded with hop flavor backed with a tartness that is unfamiliar. I like it though. I had earlier commented to friend that this beer wasn't that good. But now that I've made it through half the six pack I have come to like it.

MrNuggets, Nov 12, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours bright mahogany. Tall, frothy cola head.

Smell:

Apple peel, raisins, plums, fruit cake!

Taste:

Crisp sweetness straight out, like biting into a green apple, this sweetness turns tart (like a green apple would) and finishes on some bitter citrus rind notes.

Spritzy carbonation. Light mouthfeel.

Pleasant!

RootedFool, Nov 07, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

This ale hit the spot. Picked this up at Trader Joe's and wish I would have got more. Pours a very dark amber color with a dark choclolate mocha head that lasted the whole time drinking. The smell is that of roasted wood and malts, very different but good. The taste is of citrus and dark roasted malts. Maybe cider tasting in this as well. The hops are strong but not to strong. Very good for an ale. The mouthfeel is light and fruity but has density. I could drink alot of these. Very good beer.

beertaster13, Feb 25, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

This one pours a dark ruby-tinged amber.
There's a mild citrusy and sweet malt aroma. A hint of berries is noticed. The sweet oily caramel malt has a slight fresh bread-like taste. Cherries blended with grapefruit and lemon zest comes to mind. A faint astringent camphor-like taste is revealed from time to time. The 6.4%abv is fairly well disguised. Nice bottle-conditioned winter brew!
Thanks Genaro!

BeerResearcher, Jan 22, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Ebeneezer Ale 2003. The color was dark amber/gold. It had a short-lived head with very little lace. The aroma was fragrant and citrusy (grapefruity) with caramel tones. The taste was composed of sweet caramel, citrus, and hints of roasted coffee. It had a bit of oily mouthfeel with a good hop bite. The finish was dry, citrusy, slightly sweet, and noticably astringent. It was a good beer, but not an exciting one. A minor point was the rather somber-colored Victorianesque label which I think needed some bright seasonal colors.

genaro, Jan 16, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this in part of a trade with weefisheads thanks! The brew pours a clear mahogany color and a puffy beige head foams up easily and holds on as well.
The aroma is malty and raisiny with other general fruitiness coming through. Not picking up any hops here.
The brew has mild carbonation and a lighter body than I imagined. The flavor is sweet malty up front with hints of caramel. The finish is rich with malt flavors and again the general fruitiness comes through. I also pick up faint hints of molasses. I am getting no alcohol presence whatsoever.
No staying power on the finish flavors though.
This is a nice brew and if it were a little thicker I would really enjoy it on a cold winters nite like tonite.

sulldaddy, Jan 16, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +9%

A holiday beer exchange request on my part, sought out and found by mrpicklerelish, many thanks. It pours a deep mahogany color with a large soft fluffy off white head. Web like lace, very nice. The aroma was fruity, cranberry, yet a hint of sweet perhaps from the spiced malt. The spice carried over in the taste but not to strong while other flavors of caramel and raisin are balanced nice by an alcohol backed hop. The alcohol is soothing, not harsh making this a soft and mellow easy drinker.(if you like spiced beers) The mouth is left alittle dry while alittle hop lingers. Thisone makes a nice festive winter warmer.

chilidog, Jan 11, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Just before Christmas, I stopped and got three holiday brews. I had never heard of this one, so picked up a 6 pack. Not good. Not good at all. It looked fine in the glass, nice little head, and smelled OK, but tasted like somebody made a mistake. I couldn't pinpoint the flavor, and really didn't try, I just didn't like it. Some spice flavor of some kind.

Sorry folks, I just didn't care for this. Still have 5 more I don't know what to do with.

(Drank the 6 pack of Pyramid Snow Cap right away)

Kev