Hop Czar - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Hop CzarHop Czar

good

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: ccrida on 07-22-2008)
Reviews by N3rdM3t4l:
3.05/5  rDev -15%

12oz bottle into standard pint.

A: hazy mango flesh colored beer with a tiny little film of white foam and a pencil thin ring around the glass.

S: pretty standard northwest ipa smell. Grassy and slighy citric notes. The sweet rich malt body expected of a double anything stands out pretty well too.

T: the hops go from beginning to end and cary on into aftertaste. Grassy up front, the bitterness starts right away. The sweet on the nose doesn't carry to the taste. The beer is balanced pretty well for an IPA.

M: a tad thick but I have had chewier DIPA before. Smooth but not amazing. Fairly average for the style.

O: not a bad DIPA. Wouldn't buy a sixer but wouldn't turn down a bottle if offered.

N3rdM3t4l, Jan 21, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Nice to see another Bridgeport offering here in GSO,something I almost ordered a few times from the now defunct Liquid Solutions.Poured into a stadard pint glass a clear medium golden with a tight formed one finger white head that left one big ring of lace as it settled.Hmm all I really pick up in the nose is a light mix of alcohol sweetness and fruity malt,no hops to speak of.Flavors are pretty light for the style really,there is a big sweeter alcohol and caramel malt feel up front, the hops come in the finish with more of a big spicy,herbalness.Not really big on the hops,its a big sweet DIPA,not a hop forward one.Not bad but its to sweet and alcoholic for its size.

oberon, Mar 12, 2010

dmheinz57, Nov 12, 2012

danthehopslamman, Aug 13, 2012

Dangerrangerjas, Sep 06, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

dobmaster, Nov 16, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Nice clear copper appearance with firm two finger head. The perfect pour. Spotty lacing

S - Hops - as advertised. Full hop scent.

T - Hops and more hops. Some citrus and tart flavors that blend extremely well.

M - The citrus and tartness lingers and does not dissipate for quite a while.

D - Very drinkable for an over-hopped beer. Not very overpowering and the alcohol taste and feel is nicely in the background.

All in all, a very good beer as I expected from one of my favorite breweries.

NWer, Jul 20, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

Lazaro, Feb 05, 2013
1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker.

marvin213, May 10, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -15%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fruity hops with some resin and pine and a little tobacco.

The flavor is sweet bready malts initially with some fruits. It is followed by a big charred bitter finish that lingers. There's a little mint in there too. The mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly watery.

Overall, it has good bitterness, but I really didn't care for the hop flavors or the mouthfeel.

Beaver13, Feb 26, 2010

amalficoast, Apr 01, 2012

TimoP, Oct 25, 2013

Beerswag, Mar 05, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Hazed dirty straw color, good showing of lacing

SMELL: Dank herb, fresh cut weeds, tobacco, grapefruit rind, pineapple skin, yeast, estery, mild caramel, peppery

TASTE: Smooth, almost silky, very bitter, oily hop resin, lightly boozy, heavy citrus rind, biscuity, ripe tropical fruit, more bitterness, dired grass, astringent, bitter finish

They, without a doubt were trying to go all the way with this beer ... hops seem to be overkill though. Not horribly overdone but certainly a chore to drink even for a veteran hophead. Glad I tried it though.

Jason, Oct 18, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Picked this up during a recent trip to Austin.

Pours an orange color with a white head. The beer is very clear. The aroma is herbal and earthy hops. The flavor is bitter hops with some earthyness, hay, grass, pine and resin. Grassy aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 15, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

avitallo, Aug 08, 2014

HoptimusPrimal00, Jan 19, 2012

jaminjohnson, Aug 19, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

dankjohn, Dec 07, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +29%

Can I get a fuck yeah???

My first Bridgeport beer, and its a doozy! This bad boy had me at hello...

A: Hazy amber. No head =[

S: Can smell the hops right on the pour. No need to stick my face in the glass.

T: Perfect. An ipa's ipa. Has a strong fresh hop flavor to it, but the malts are there doing their job and giving some balance. I said SOME...

M: Doesn't linger. Very crisp. Can breathe out through my nose and get hints of the hops.

D: Too good for the ABV. I'm impressed, and soon to be wasted!

ironlung, Apr 11, 2010

tyleeis, Nov 24, 2013
3.71/5  rDev +3.3%

Hop Czar used to bring it in every category. And maybe it still does, but the lack of bottle dating/fresh bottles seems to hurt its position. Amazing presentation, bright orange, bursting hop bouquet, massive floral arrangement in the nose.

Taste, more of the same, almost gave it a 5, would have if Pliny didn't exist. Not super hoppy just for the sake of inflating some IBU's, genuinely appreciable taste, but don't get me wrong, this is a hop blast.

Mouthfeel, hops hops and more hops, there's nothing particularly complex, but for its strength and style, very drinkable, but hey, its pricey.

Beerandraiderfan, Feb 06, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +10%

12oz bottle served in pint glass.

Very hoppy and true to style.

A - orange amber with a light haze; modest light tan head of moderate durability. Very limited lacing.

S - strong hop aromas; everything else is hidden or deep in the background.

T - complex hop flavor with piney. floral and citrus notes. Quite hoppy ("copious amounts of Nugget, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial hops") and bitter ((IBU = 87), with some sweet, caramel malt balance. Some pleasant sweet malt notes reappear and contribute to a fine moderately bitter aftertaste.

M - adequate but light carbonation; medium-light bodied.

chinchill, Dec 06, 2010

timontheroad, May 26, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours a surprisingly dark copper color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of grassy and pine hop aromas with small amounts of caramel malt and hints of soapiness. As it warms hints of butter enter into things as well, although it's far from overpowering.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Mildly sweet malt flavors up front are quickly overtaken by hop flavors that are more bitter than anything else, though pine flavors do manage to make an appearance. The bitterness intensifies through to the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I didn't go into this beer with high expectations and I was neither surprised nor disappointed. By no means a bad beer, there are a lot of better DIPA's out there.

glid02, Feb 17, 2010