Hop Czar - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Hop CzarHop Czar

good

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: ccrida on 07-22-2008)
Reviews by barczar:
barczar

Kentucky

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

It's got a little age on it, so...

Pours a hazy copper with apricot hues and a dense, frothy cream head that lingers.

Banana emerged when the bottle opened, and further investigation reveals resin and pine atop a rich bed of sweet caramel malt. There's a bit of dankness and earthy hop present. Canned corn surfaces as it warms.

Flavor reveals candy-like notes of fruit, finishing decidedly bitter and resiny. Caramel malt is initially sweet, and accented by the soft fruit underlying it. There's a hint of vegetal character present. Floral hops surface in the aftertaste, and muted grapefruit becomes more evident the more I sip.

Body is moderate to a touch full, with moderate carbonation, some harsh astringency, and moderate alcohol warmth.

Wish I had this fresh, but I think dms is present, as it is. Bittering hops were very present, but flavoring and aroma lacked a bit, as is to be expected, so they won't factor into my rating.

11-20-2013 02:35:42 | More by barczar
oberon

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Nice to see another Bridgeport offering here in GSO,something I almost ordered a few times from the now defunct Liquid Solutions.Poured into a stadard pint glass a clear medium golden with a tight formed one finger white head that left one big ring of lace as it settled.Hmm all I really pick up in the nose is a light mix of alcohol sweetness and fruity malt,no hops to speak of.Flavors are pretty light for the style really,there is a big sweeter alcohol and caramel malt feel up front, the hops come in the finish with more of a big spicy,herbalness.Not really big on the hops,its a big sweet DIPA,not a hop forward one.Not bad but its to sweet and alcoholic for its size.

03-12-2010 22:32:45 | More by oberon

11-16-2013 01:10:32 | More by dobmaster
NWer

Washington

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Nice clear copper appearance with firm two finger head. The perfect pour. Spotty lacing

S - Hops - as advertised. Full hop scent.

T - Hops and more hops. Some citrus and tart flavors that blend extremely well.

M - The citrus and tartness lingers and does not dissipate for quite a while.

D - Very drinkable for an over-hopped beer. Not very overpowering and the alcohol taste and feel is nicely in the background.

All in all, a very good beer as I expected from one of my favorite breweries.

07-20-2010 22:43:53 | More by NWer
Lazaro

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

02-05-2013 19:50:02 | More by Lazaro
marvin213

1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker.

05-10-2009 22:11:15 | More by marvin213
Beaver13

Colorado

3.05/5  rDev -15%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fruity hops with some resin and pine and a little tobacco.

The flavor is sweet bready malts initially with some fruits. It is followed by a big charred bitter finish that lingers. There's a little mint in there too. The mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly watery.

Overall, it has good bitterness, but I really didn't care for the hop flavors or the mouthfeel.

02-26-2010 01:08:07 | More by Beaver13

Beerswag

03-05-2013 21:18:59 | More by Beerswag
Jason

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Hazed dirty straw color, good showing of lacing

SMELL: Dank herb, fresh cut weeds, tobacco, grapefruit rind, pineapple skin, yeast, estery, mild caramel, peppery

TASTE: Smooth, almost silky, very bitter, oily hop resin, lightly boozy, heavy citrus rind, biscuity, ripe tropical fruit, more bitterness, dired grass, astringent, bitter finish

They, without a doubt were trying to go all the way with this beer ... hops seem to be overkill though. Not horribly overdone but certainly a chore to drink even for a veteran hophead. Glad I tried it though.

10-18-2012 00:54:56 | More by Jason
Mora2000

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Picked this up during a recent trip to Austin.

Pours an orange color with a white head. The beer is very clear. The aroma is herbal and earthy hops. The flavor is bitter hops with some earthyness, hay, grass, pine and resin. Grassy aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

02-15-2010 21:36:59 | More by Mora2000

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

12-07-2013 04:56:23 | More by dankjohn
ironlung

4.63/5  rDev +29%

Can I get a fuck yeah???

My first Bridgeport beer, and its a doozy! This bad boy had me at hello...

A: Hazy amber. No head =[

S: Can smell the hops right on the pour. No need to stick my face in the glass.

T: Perfect. An ipa's ipa. Has a strong fresh hop flavor to it, but the malts are there doing their job and giving some balance. I said SOME...

M: Doesn't linger. Very crisp. Can breathe out through my nose and get hints of the hops.

D: Too good for the ABV. I'm impressed, and soon to be wasted!

04-11-2010 23:36:15 | More by ironlung
tyleeis

Wisconsin

11-24-2013 03:47:04 | More by tyleeis
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%

Hop Czar used to bring it in every category. And maybe it still does, but the lack of bottle dating/fresh bottles seems to hurt its position. Amazing presentation, bright orange, bursting hop bouquet, massive floral arrangement in the nose.

Taste, more of the same, almost gave it a 5, would have if Pliny didn't exist. Not super hoppy just for the sake of inflating some IBU's, genuinely appreciable taste, but don't get me wrong, this is a hop blast.

Mouthfeel, hops hops and more hops, there's nothing particularly complex, but for its strength and style, very drinkable, but hey, its pricey.

02-06-2010 07:36:02 | More by Beerandraiderfan
chinchill

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +10%

12oz bottle served in pint glass.

Very hoppy and true to style.

A - orange amber with a light haze; modest light tan head of moderate durability. Very limited lacing.

S - strong hop aromas; everything else is hidden or deep in the background.

T - complex hop flavor with piney. floral and citrus notes. Quite hoppy ("copious amounts of Nugget, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial hops") and bitter ((IBU = 87), with some sweet, caramel malt balance. Some pleasant sweet malt notes reappear and contribute to a fine moderately bitter aftertaste.

M - adequate but light carbonation; medium-light bodied.

12-06-2010 01:52:42 | More by chinchill
timontheroad

Colorado

05-26-2013 01:47:56 | More by timontheroad
glid02

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours a surprisingly dark copper color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of grassy and pine hop aromas with small amounts of caramel malt and hints of soapiness. As it warms hints of butter enter into things as well, although it's far from overpowering.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Mildly sweet malt flavors up front are quickly overtaken by hop flavors that are more bitter than anything else, though pine flavors do manage to make an appearance. The bitterness intensifies through to the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I didn't go into this beer with high expectations and I was neither surprised nor disappointed. By no means a bad beer, there are a lot of better DIPA's out there.

02-17-2010 02:09:11 | More by glid02