Hop Czar - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 373 | Hads: 1,005
Reviews by beerdown77:
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Hop Czar pours murky orange with a nice, foamy brown head that lasts; the smell is very sweet. I also smell dark fruits, maybe raisin and brown sugar. The taste is a little sweet and bitter. I like to taste more citrus or floral in an IPA, whereas this is a little "imperial" and boozy in flavor. Overall, this is a solid beer. Within this brand, however, I prefer the pale ale. (378 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%

Nice to see another Bridgeport offering here in GSO,something I almost ordered a few times from the now defunct Liquid Solutions.Poured into a stadard pint glass a clear medium golden with a tight formed one finger white head that left one big ring of lace as it settled.Hmm all I really pick up in the nose is a light mix of alcohol sweetness and fruity malt,no hops to speak of.Flavors are pretty light for the style really,there is a big sweeter alcohol and caramel malt feel up front, the hops come in the finish with more of a big spicy,herbalness.Not really big on the hops,its a big sweet DIPA,not a hop forward one.Not bad but its to sweet and alcoholic for its size. (675 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Nice clear copper appearance with firm two finger head. The perfect pour. Spotty lacing

S - Hops - as advertised. Full hop scent.

T - Hops and more hops. Some citrus and tart flavors that blend extremely well.

M - The citrus and tartness lingers and does not dissipate for quite a while.

D - Very drinkable for an over-hopped beer. Not very overpowering and the alcohol taste and feel is nicely in the background.

All in all, a very good beer as I expected from one of my favorite breweries. (533 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -24%

1.86/5  rDev -48.6%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker. (2,044 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fruity hops with some resin and pine and a little tobacco.

The flavor is sweet bready malts initially with some fruits. It is followed by a big charred bitter finish that lingers. There's a little mint in there too. The mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly watery.

Overall, it has good bitterness, but I really didn't care for the hop flavors or the mouthfeel. (518 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Hazed dirty straw color, good showing of lacing

SMELL: Dank herb, fresh cut weeds, tobacco, grapefruit rind, pineapple skin, yeast, estery, mild caramel, peppery

TASTE: Smooth, almost silky, very bitter, oily hop resin, lightly boozy, heavy citrus rind, biscuity, ripe tropical fruit, more bitterness, dired grass, astringent, bitter finish

They, without a doubt were trying to go all the way with this beer ... hops seem to be overkill though. Not horribly overdone but certainly a chore to drink even for a veteran hophead. Glad I tried it though. (601 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Picked this up during a recent trip to Austin.

Pours an orange color with a white head. The beer is very clear. The aroma is herbal and earthy hops. The flavor is bitter hops with some earthyness, hay, grass, pine and resin. Grassy aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (285 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%

Can I get a fuck yeah???

My first Bridgeport beer, and its a doozy! This bad boy had me at hello...

A: Hazy amber. No head =[

S: Can smell the hops right on the pour. No need to stick my face in the glass.

T: Perfect. An ipa's ipa. Has a strong fresh hop flavor to it, but the malts are there doing their job and giving some balance. I said SOME...

M: Doesn't linger. Very crisp. Can breathe out through my nose and get hints of the hops.

D: Too good for the ABV. I'm impressed, and soon to be wasted! (507 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +26%

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's an ok IIPA, but there are better ones around. The hops taste too dry, and there is a dry aftertaste lingering. Not terribly complex, more one-note than most beers of this type. Still, a decent brew. I still prefer Pyramid's Outburst. (238 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last