Hop Czar - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

good

good

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: ccrida on 07-22-2008)
Reviews by lighthabit:
3.23/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

have had this several times over the years, and it's been a nice change for the most part when i'm tired of the sweet styles. however, it seems to be a bit dated, but i think it's my palate, and not the beer.

pear/peach kinda yellow/amber, spotty lacing, thin layer after a decent head dies down. smell and taste are very hop forward, but i'm finding the hops are coming across as a bit harsh, with malt trying hard to balance it, but not quite. mind you, the bottle does a good job letting you know up front this will be a hop bomb, but it seems a bit less refined than i used to think. mouthfeel has a good resinous quality, and an oiliness says solid ipa. detracting from the experience is a mild hint of something soapy in the nose and taste. abv is decently hidden.

would recommend as a good sample for a baseline of bitter ipas, but my guess is most will wander off to other brews that are more palate-friendly.

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Nice to see another Bridgeport offering here in GSO,something I almost ordered a few times from the now defunct Liquid Solutions.Poured into a stadard pint glass a clear medium golden with a tight formed one finger white head that left one big ring of lace as it settled.Hmm all I really pick up in the nose is a light mix of alcohol sweetness and fruity malt,no hops to speak of.Flavors are pretty light for the style really,there is a big sweeter alcohol and caramel malt feel up front, the hops come in the finish with more of a big spicy,herbalness.Not really big on the hops,its a big sweet DIPA,not a hop forward one.Not bad but its to sweet and alcoholic for its size.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Nice clear copper appearance with firm two finger head. The perfect pour. Spotty lacing

S - Hops - as advertised. Full hop scent.

T - Hops and more hops. Some citrus and tart flavors that blend extremely well.

M - The citrus and tartness lingers and does not dissipate for quite a while.

D - Very drinkable for an over-hopped beer. Not very overpowering and the alcohol taste and feel is nicely in the background.

All in all, a very good beer as I expected from one of my favorite breweries.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

1.88/5  rDev -47.5%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker.

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a small white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fruity hops with some resin and pine and a little tobacco.

The flavor is sweet bready malts initially with some fruits. It is followed by a big charred bitter finish that lingers. There's a little mint in there too. The mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly watery.

Overall, it has good bitterness, but I really didn't care for the hop flavors or the mouthfeel.

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Hazed dirty straw color, good showing of lacing

SMELL: Dank herb, fresh cut weeds, tobacco, grapefruit rind, pineapple skin, yeast, estery, mild caramel, peppery

TASTE: Smooth, almost silky, very bitter, oily hop resin, lightly boozy, heavy citrus rind, biscuity, ripe tropical fruit, more bitterness, dired grass, astringent, bitter finish

They, without a doubt were trying to go all the way with this beer ... hops seem to be overkill though. Not horribly overdone but certainly a chore to drink even for a veteran hophead. Glad I tried it though.

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked this up during a recent trip to Austin.

Pours an orange color with a white head. The beer is very clear. The aroma is herbal and earthy hops. The flavor is bitter hops with some earthyness, hay, grass, pine and resin. Grassy aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

4.63/5  rDev +29.3%

Can I get a fuck yeah???

My first Bridgeport beer, and its a doozy! This bad boy had me at hello...

A: Hazy amber. No head =[

S: Can smell the hops right on the pour. No need to stick my face in the glass.

T: Perfect. An ipa's ipa. Has a strong fresh hop flavor to it, but the malts are there doing their job and giving some balance. I said SOME...

M: Doesn't linger. Very crisp. Can breathe out through my nose and get hints of the hops.

D: Too good for the ABV. I'm impressed, and soon to be wasted!

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hop Czar used to bring it in every category. And maybe it still does, but the lack of bottle dating/fresh bottles seems to hurt its position. Amazing presentation, bright orange, bursting hop bouquet, massive floral arrangement in the nose.

Taste, more of the same, almost gave it a 5, would have if Pliny didn't exist. Not super hoppy just for the sake of inflating some IBU's, genuinely appreciable taste, but don't get me wrong, this is a hop blast.

Mouthfeel, hops hops and more hops, there's nothing particularly complex, but for its strength and style, very drinkable, but hey, its pricey.

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

12oz bottle served in pint glass.

Very hoppy and true to style.

A - orange amber with a light haze; modest light tan head of moderate durability. Very limited lacing.

S - strong hop aromas; everything else is hidden or deep in the background.

T - complex hop flavor with piney. floral and citrus notes. Quite hoppy ("copious amounts of Nugget, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial hops") and bitter ((IBU = 87), with some sweet, caramel malt balance. Some pleasant sweet malt notes reappear and contribute to a fine moderately bitter aftertaste.

M - adequate but light carbonation; medium-light bodied.

Hop Czar from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub