Hop Czar - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Hop CzarHop Czar

good

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: ccrida on 07-22-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Czar Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -65.1%

1.25/5  rDev -65.1%

1.55/5  rDev -56.7%

Poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a hazy orange/amber with an offwhite/light tan head that slowly drops, lacing evident.

Aromas of cardboardy, citrusy, light malt. Not a great way to start off.

Flavor of harsh, rotted citrus, cardboard, slightly fecal quality. Badly infected. Not enjoyable at all.

Mouthfeel is thin, not quite watery.

Drinkable..are you kidding? I can't believe someone taste-tested this and pronounced it acceptable to distribute. The worst beer experience I think I have ever had. Three-quarters will be a drain pour.

1.68/5  rDev -53.1%

Bottled: unk

A: hazy orange with a finger of whipped cream atop. this falls to a centralized cap and ring sheet. spotty lace.
S: cereal, lemon, grapefruit, sweet crystal malts. Not impressive.
T: Quite bitter with some biscuity and cake like sweetness. Not getting much more than grapefruit out of the hops. Plain.
M: medium bodied with hi carb. Dry finish.
O: Meh. I can live without it. Even when I was at the height of my brutally bitter phase, I didn't reach for this twice. Now I know why.

1.88/5  rDev -47.5%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker.

2.17/5  rDev -39.4%

From a bottle into a Rahr and Sons Pint Glass

A-light colored with very little, thin head.

S-Very slight nose of citrus. Pleasant, but was thinking I would have more to go from. Much more expected from a DIPA.

T-Very alcoholly, with slight citrus and hops in the background. The alcohol taste overpowers what hops I am hoping for in a DIPA. I don't know about you, but I want my DIPA to be double in flavor as well as alcohol. The maltiness evens things out, a bit, but still, there is a very unpleasant bitter aftertaste that doesn't bode well.

M-Body is fine. Feels good on the palette. Carbonation is just right.

O-A subpar DIPA. The citrus and floral flavors are masked by an alcohol taste that seems unnecessary for a relatively low 7.5 ABV. Also this aftertaste is a little unpleasantly bitter. Don't want to say horrible, but, it doesn't blend well with the rest of the beer.

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

12fl oz bottle poured into my tulip

Pours a medium copper color with a one finger head. Head is slightly off-white with average head retention. As it subsides it leaves tiny whit bubbles on top and on the edges of the beer.

Smells kind of tart like. I do not know if its suppose to smell like it(think of black licorice?). Huge bubblegum smell when you take a deep whiff. That is all I get from the smell.

Slight sweet lemon like citrus taste with some medium hop bitterness in there. Sweet bubblegum like taste takes hold after this and then leads to a malt backbone. Overall mostly a bitterness taste is what this is.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied(although lacking flavor and unbalanced) with very high carbonation. Bitter dry aftertaste last for some time, way after you have taken your sip.

I have never smelled a beer that smelled so much like pink bubblegum. I now know why this beer is pretty darn cheap seeing its a DIPA. This lacks a huge amount of flavor to even be considered a DIPA let alone even a Pale Ale.I would pass on getting this and pick up a TRUE DIPA instead.

Hop Czar from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub