Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hop Czar - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Hop CzarHop Czar

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: ccrida on 07-22-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Czar Alström Bros
Reviews: 378 | Hads: 1,019
1.66/5  rDev -53.9%

Poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a hazy orange/amber with an offwhite/light tan head that slowly drops, lacing evident.

Aromas of cardboardy, citrusy, light malt. Not a great way to start off.

Flavor of harsh, rotted citrus, cardboard, slightly fecal quality. Badly infected. Not enjoyable at all.

Mouthfeel is thin, not quite watery.

Drinkable..are you kidding? I can't believe someone taste-tested this and pronounced it acceptable to distribute. The worst beer experience I think I have ever had. Three-quarters will be a drain pour.

1.68/5  rDev -53.3%

Bottled: unk

A: hazy orange with a finger of whipped cream atop. this falls to a centralized cap and ring sheet. spotty lace.
S: cereal, lemon, grapefruit, sweet crystal malts. Not impressive.
T: Quite bitter with some biscuity and cake like sweetness. Not getting much more than grapefruit out of the hops. Plain.
M: medium bodied with hi carb. Dry finish.
O: Meh. I can live without it. Even when I was at the height of my brutally bitter phase, I didn't reach for this twice. Now I know why.

1.86/5  rDev -48.3%

It's a cool name and regal-looking bottle, but the beer's appearance isn't overly impressive. Even with a gentle pour, I've got like a quarter-foot of frothy head. Thick lacing is evident as it works it's way down. Its color is a yellowish orange, oddly reminiscent of soda. I feel like I'm looking at a crazy Avery beer that's trying to do too much. In general, I'm skeptical of this one.

Further doubt lingers when I smell this one. Shouldn't I be overwhelmed with yummy hop aroma by a beer called "Hop Czar?" Maybe I should brush up on my Russian history, but isn't a czar like a king? Why do I smell malts? It's like I'm actually mad at the smell.

The taste, unfortunately, is similarly disappointing. I feel duped because it's like a blah beer in a big, cool-looking bottle. I'm proud we call our head honcho a president. I'm learning about the freshness factor with hops and all, but I don't think that's what's going on here. It's just a maybe okay beer marketed as something it's not. I've yet to be impressed with anything from Bridgeport. This beer is like a hop monster's skeleton--it's all malty backbone. I'd consider trying another one for confirmation, but I really don't think it's a freshness factor--the malty flavor is good, but where's the czar?

I'm mad at the mouthfeel like I was at the smell, and for the same reason: here's a west coast, self-proclaimed hop monster with hardly any citrusy sweetness and NO ability to pull enamel. I don't expect that from every beer--not even every beer that proclaims to be hoppy--but a big boy bottle with a dude on a throne holding hops. I was set up, and this beer experience has proven a disappointing one.

I'd only drink another to confirm my disappointment. I guess that's a step up from awful. Really, the beer is a common "okay," but you should know that before you unwrap the aluminum from the cap and pop open the bomber. Maybe I should know better coming from Bridgeport? It will take some soothing medicine to heal these wounds and improve my opinion of this beermaker.

2.18/5  rDev -39.4%

From a bottle into a Rahr and Sons Pint Glass

A-light colored with very little, thin head.

S-Very slight nose of citrus. Pleasant, but was thinking I would have more to go from. Much more expected from a DIPA.

T-Very alcoholly, with slight citrus and hops in the background. The alcohol taste overpowers what hops I am hoping for in a DIPA. I don't know about you, but I want my DIPA to be double in flavor as well as alcohol. The maltiness evens things out, a bit, but still, there is a very unpleasant bitter aftertaste that doesn't bode well.

M-Body is fine. Feels good on the palette. Carbonation is just right.

O-A subpar DIPA. The citrus and floral flavors are masked by an alcohol taste that seems unnecessary for a relatively low 7.5 ABV. Also this aftertaste is a little unpleasantly bitter. Don't want to say horrible, but, it doesn't blend well with the rest of the beer.

2.24/5  rDev -37.8%

12fl oz bottle poured into my tulip

Pours a medium copper color with a one finger head. Head is slightly off-white with average head retention. As it subsides it leaves tiny whit bubbles on top and on the edges of the beer.

Smells kind of tart like. I do not know if its suppose to smell like it(think of black licorice?). Huge bubblegum smell when you take a deep whiff. That is all I get from the smell.

Slight sweet lemon like citrus taste with some medium hop bitterness in there. Sweet bubblegum like taste takes hold after this and then leads to a malt backbone. Overall mostly a bitterness taste is what this is.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied(although lacking flavor and unbalanced) with very high carbonation. Bitter dry aftertaste last for some time, way after you have taken your sip.

I have never smelled a beer that smelled so much like pink bubblegum. I now know why this beer is pretty darn cheap seeing its a DIPA. This lacks a huge amount of flavor to even be considered a DIPA let alone even a Pale Ale.I would pass on getting this and pick up a TRUE DIPA instead.

2.31/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured into a snifter on 6/4/10

Nice hue of scorched amber & copper. Pour one & a half fingers of head that holds 50% retention after a few minutes. Swirling maintains a thin layer throughout. Lacing is less than spectacular; quite splotchy, actually.

Dense hops dominate the much of the aroma; prominent dry, toasted bread notes comprise the rest. Pine & sharp citrus - grapefruit, lemon pith & tangerine. That's the good part. Also prevalent is that solvent-like aroma that sometimes manifests in densely hoppy beers. It's kind of medicinal, too.

Eh, as I feared, the taste is closely in line with the nose. It's piney & solvent-citrusy but perceived bitterness doesn't nearly seem like 87 IBUs. It just has a moderate amount of incredibly dry bitterness that creeps in on the finish; pushing aspirin territory. Toasted bread acts as a weird offset to the medicinal qualities.

Medium-full bodied with carbonation easily seated at the low end of the spectrum. Possibly the low carbonation is why the bitterness seems to be less than advertised? Reasonably gritty some dry bitterness & toasted malts lingering on the finish.

I didn't enjoy Hop Czar all that much. It's a pretty weak offering especially considering how highly I regard Bridgeport's IPA. The bottle suggests it was "brewed with irresponsible amount of hops." I'm inclined to think it was merely brewed "irresponsibly." Between the two, my money's on the standard IPA from here on out.

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Maybe something was wrong with my beer, but this was honestly one of the worst ones I've ever had. Worse than the Chupacabra, somehow. I do not plan on ever drinking this again.

2.43/5  rDev -32.5%

Warning, i saw some huge pieces of "goo" in ths bottle. Appearance..hazy orange with lots of sediment floating around, large frothy loff white head. Aroma..garlic and onions..really some soap lemon. Taste is not as bad as the aroma but pretty weak for a DIPA..some lemony hop. Watery palate. Drain pour I believe this (hope) it is bad. Im pissed..my worst from Bridgeport ever.

2.44/5  rDev -32.2%

Pour 22 oz. into a standard pint glass. Rich foamy head over a hazy orange/amber color. Surprised at the haziness. Thought it might have been a wheat beer.

Where is the strong grapefruit, citrus and pine I've come to expect from West Coast 2IPAs? All I can smell is the biscuity malt.

The citrus is definitely there in the front of the taste but quickly fades into malt behind. It has a bitter aftertaste that is unpleasant. There is also a definite alcohol taste.

The feel is relatively smooth. The beer I had was quite cold and quaffable. However, I imagine this not being so drinkable as it warms.

I could barely finish the bomber. Not what I expected in an IPA. Usually, I can down these effortlessly. I will not buy this again. However, I'm not going to let this spoil my enjoyment of their standard IPA, which is for me a good session beer.

2.47/5  rDev -31.4%

Appearance: A hazy copper-orange body capped by a finer and a half of creamy off-white head. The head recedes slowly and leaves great sheets of lacing.

Aroma: Resinous, pungent, and citrusy hops over a sugary caramel malt body.

Flavor: Up front, a wave of piney, grapefruit-like, and medicinal hops that are decently bitter. While the hops are suitably bold, they're just not very pleasant. Underneath, a somewhat overwhelmed biscuity malt backbone. Only a little spice coming through from the alcohol. Cough syrup-like hops and lingering bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied and slightly creamy body with medium carbonation. Dries in the finish.

Drinkability: If it weren't for the harsh flavors, this would drink quicker than average for the style.

Verdict: Hop Czar is totally outgunned by the competition in the Double IPA category. Unbalanced and medicinal, this is just thoroughly underwhelming.

2.49/5  rDev -30.8%

Pour: Hazy yellow-orange color. Big three fingers of frothy white head that retained well and left all sorts of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrus, pine, and ethanol. No real malts or anything.

Taste: Follows the smell pretty much exactly. Pine up front, then alcohol, then grapefruit in the back. Malts not really detectible. Unbalanced and almost gag-worthy.

Mouthfeel: For 7.5% this was an extremely watery beer. It's got a bit more body than a light lager but not much. High carbonation.

Drinkability: This stuff was hard to drink. The alcohol presence sort of killed it.

Final Notes: If you enjoy a shot of everclear against eating raw hops, this might be the beer for you. That said, this is probably the worst Double IPA I've ever had, and the more I drank it the less I liked it. No substance, no malt in the body. Look elsewhere.

2.52/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a two-finger white head. Pretty good lacing. Good retention. Far and away the best part of this whole beer.

Smell: Uh... kind of skunky. I checked the bottle for an expiration date, but found none, so I'm going to have to assume that this is just how the beer smells. It's kind of metallic with not nearly the amount of hop aroma you'd expect, if we're going by the rather boastful label.

Taste: Not even average. Hops are definitely here, but unfortunately they provide more bitterness than flavor, and that is just not a good thing. Hops have a wonderful taste, so where is it? There's a light, biscuity aftertaste of malts, but it's too little and too late.

Mouthfeel: Rather dry and, again, metallic. It's not really offensive though, just average.

Drinkability: Bah. No, I wouldn't want another one of these. In fact, this beer is pissing me off a little. I had hope for this one, and it let me down. They'd better be a bit more careful throwing around the magical 'h' word, because some of us out here genuinely enjoy them, and savor beers that put them to good use.

Better luck next time. Maybe BridgePort makes better bread than beer?

2.57/5  rDev -28.6%

Brother got this to me and said it was nice and hoppy; I thought this was his way of saying it was "good".

12 oz bottle poured into normal pint glass.

Poured an amber orangish color with about an inch head with good retention. Lots of lacing was another nice touch. Took a whiff and noticed a very piney hop smell with no florals or citrus. Seemed disappoing until I took a sip and then you can drop the word "Seemed". All this hop bitterness without much to balance it was a let down. Same taste as the nose, lacking in character and depth, just about didn't finish this beer. Had a medium to semi thick mouthfeel reminiscent of a quality DIPA, just without the taste. A little high on the alcohol factor and could feel it, not exactly a sessionable beer.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a hazy orange with a short-lived foamy white head.

There are citric and resin hop notes, though they are a bit muted. Some caramel malts coming through in the finish.

Same as the notes, quick hints of citric and resin hop notes, followed by a caramel, pale malt finish.

Medium body with soft carbonation.

I see it's potential, but the hops are either quite muted or faded. I don't know if this was an old bottle or what. I would give it another shot if I was certain I had a fresh offering.

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

"Hop Czar" "Imperial India Pale Ale." 7.5% ABV confirmed. 87 IBUs. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle acquired as part of a Bridgeport variety box/12 pack and served into a nonical pint glass in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Above average to decent (~3-5 minute) retention for the ABV. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a predictable clear dark copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Floral hop character, murky pine. Pale malts. Pilsner malts. Caramalts. Spritzy light soapiness. Grassy. Quite resinous. Noticeable bitterness. Not particularly appealing; the choice of hops doesn't seem ideal by any means, and the overbearing caramel sabotages any sense of balance.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. A decent aroma of mild strength.

T: A caramalt body supports a surprisingly piney hop build with some floral character and heavy grassy notes thrown in as well. Pale malts. Naked hop bitterness reveals this beer's lack of balance. Not much complexity or subtlety here. I do get some juicy somewhat tropical fruit on the climax. I do get some alcohol, unfortunately. Not a very good imperial IPA, but they're trying some interesting things - unsuccessfully.

No yeast character comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Okay body. Bad presence on the palate. Too thick. Overcarbonated. Doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well.

Dr: Downable but forgettable. Not much quality here. I wouldn't want it again, and I'm not looking forward to the other two bottles. A middling offering from Bridgeport. Doesn't hide its ABV well. I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

2.67/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer was out of a make-your-own sixer in an attempt to find a more affordable day-to-day IPA to have as my go-to beer. We'll see how this goes...

A - Not as clear as most IPAs I've seen, but has a nice orange color to it when looked at in the right light. Lacing is good.

S - Not so great, the first time I smelled this I got mostly skanky garlic. On the second try I get more sickeningly sweet malt with some off-color hops in there. It smells ripe, almost a little like garbage.

T - Wow, this is one of the worst IPA's I've had. I was really hoping the taste wouldn't be like the smell but this is very garlic and onion forward. There a little bit of bitterness from the hops but almost no citrusy/piney flavor that I usually look for. Not sure if I just got a bad bottle or if this is normal for this one...

M - Not that bad, medium body, a little too much carbonation. I'm honestly getting a lot of foamy burps coming up off of this one.

O - This is probably the worst IPA I've ever tasted. At least if it was devoid of flavor it wouldn't smell/taste like garlicky/oniony/garbage. I was sure I would find a beer that would be a great value by doing this make-your-own sixer of cheap IPAs but I'll probably just have to stick with Hop Stoopid bombers for now.

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance - hazy, tan color which produced one finger of off white head. Average head retention and fairly good lace.

Smell - resiny hops, very acidic lemon/citrus

Taste - very, very, very unbalanced and over hopped not in a good way. No where near enough malt to help curb hops. Unpleasant acidic/ tart finish. Water taste heavy and metallic, almost lead pencily. Overall very off tasting.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Thin feeling for a Imperial IPA.

Drinkability - not difficult to drink but wow this is just not pleasant drink either. Looks and sounds promising but trust me its not. Save your money on this one and get something else.

2.7/5  rDev -25%

On-tap in Austin.

A - Hazy orange with fluffy white head that holds fairly strong.

S - Biscuit and caramel dominate, perhaps slightly oxidized. Little to no hop aroma. Surprising for a Double IPA.

T - Piney, resiney hop bitterness that doesn't match up with the indications the nose provided. Were hops only used for bittering? Caramel flavor comes through a little bit to balance the hops, but not much.

M - A bit on the sticky side, which I find okay for a DIPA.

D - The out of balance bitterness make this below average drinkability for the style.

2.7/5  rDev -25%

Source/Serving: 22oz bottle, no expiry date

S: Deep, juicy, orange marmalade; citrus zest; leaf from an orange tree; just enough pine to add complexity, semisweet. Nice, but only moderately intense.

T: Pretty standard DIPA fare with a less than stellar finish. Semisweet upfront with citrus marmalade riding a nice wave of citrus oil and a faint jab at bread coming through. Center is more of the same with tons of oiliness and a nice hop snap with bitterness at least meeting the match of sweetness, if not leaning slightly to the bitter side. All very standard up to this point... not unpleasant though of only moderate intensity and not overwhelmingly excellent. Body is just right as it carbonation. However, finish is dry with balanced bitterness, but has an unpleasant grassy, astringency that you occasionally get from dry-hopping that gets worse as it lingers. The definite low point of this brew, unfortunately.

2.71/5  rDev -24.7%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Smuttynose big beer balloon glass.

It is a deep orange-ish color with some amber hues. A small off white head recedes fairly quickly leaving behind quite a bit of sticky lacing.

The nose is small and unimpressive. The malts are at the forefront here; bisuity and bready malt aromas intermingle with a fairly strong alcohol presence. There is a small bit of piney and citrusy hops, but not nearly enough to convince me that this beer is in fact a DOUBLE IPA... from the west coast, no less. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing offensive about the aroma, just disappointing.

The flavor is a bit more hop forward than the nose, but still falls short of what I would expect. The hops provide a bitter, slightly piney flavor that seems to lack any real character or depth. The bisuity, bready malts are not nearly as prominant in the flavor as they are in the aroma, but they are there and provide a nice malt backbone for a decent IPA, unfortunately the hops don't seem to deliver the flavor and punch that is needed. Medium/light bodied and moderately carbonated.

Overall impression is that this is not a bad beer, it just seems to under perform. I think they really need to rework the hop bill on this one, although I think the malt bill is right on...

2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

A: Pours a dark, cloudy orange with a thin white head.

S: Good presence from the hops and there's definitely a whiff of alcohol in the scent. I'm not surprised to see 7.5% ABV

T: Mild hops, not too strong. Alcohol is definitely in there. The hops come out more in the swallow and you get a good bitterness after it warms a little bit.

M: Medium-bodied, smooth finish.

Imperial IPAs may be to the liking of many, but I don't think it's really for me. Lacking in complexity and an alcohol flavor that I think proved too distracting from the rest of the beer.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%

This beer seemed so alluring when i bought a case of it at Costco. I'm a "hop head", so what could be better than a beer called hop czar?? Quite a few things...
A: looks fine. Bubbles a bit larger than i like accompanying an orangey amber color
S: smells good! Piney and citrusy as expected. Maybe apples? A bit too cold to be more specific than that.
T: not nearly enough malt and a overwhelming metallic flavor at the finish. The flavor is very imbalanced and i couldn't get into it even though i really wanted to like it based on the smell.
M: medium-light. Lightly carbonated
D: i couldn't get over the metal flavor. I can only have this beer after Ive had a few of something better.
The high alcohol content didn't bother me as much as other reviewers but the finish of this beer is way too harsh for me to enjoy this beer. I wouldn't get this beer again, except perhaps on draft to see if it's different.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Pours s clear golden color with a nice one and a half finger, cream colored head that has pretty good retention. There is very minimal lacing for the size and retention of the head. There are some large carbon

S - It kind of smells like faint hops and a wet dog. Not very impressive or good.

T - This IIPA lacks complexity. That's what strikes me the most. There are just a taste of sweet malts up front that gives way to a bitter hoppy aftertaste that lingers on for a wee while. The flavors could be a a lot more pronounced on top of everything else.

M - Really watery. Not helping here at all.

D - Could use a lot of work, but it's not awful, just very forgettable.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Pours a clear amber/copper color.

S - Bready malt. Sour dough. Almost smells like aged cheese., or feet. Slight citrus and alcohol fumes.

T/M - Slightly burnt caramel malt that cornerstones this beer. Resin hops start to take over. Mouthfeel is slightly oily. Moderate citrus hops opens up on the finish. Aftertaste is citrus hops and actually the best part of the beer.

If you do decide to pick this beer up..buy a single. Also I would drink it ice cold. This beer is not bad..except for the smell. I drank the first one at a 10 minute rest. The second one I poured and drank right out of the fridge. It was cold enough to completely fog the glass. The 2nd one still had the awful smell but the flavors were muted and tasted better than the previous.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a copper-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that had low retention, but decent lacing.

For a supposed hop bomb, the aroma was very subdued. I found the malt characteristics stronger than the mellow hops. While a caramel scent was most notable, on the tongue the bittering hops came through. Other than bitter, I didn't pick up any other notable flavors.

The body was fairly typical for the style. Drinkability suffered due to the boring personality of the beer. Worth a shot if you see it, but don't go out of your way to get it.

Hop Czar from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub