Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009) - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: ccrida on 09-30-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by bkilpatr:
bkilpatr

3.78/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. 12/15/08.

Pours a clear orange-copper color with about two fingers of soft beige head. Aroma is fresh grassy hops and sweet malt, a bit tame overall.

Taste is slightly sweet up front with caramel malt and a biscuit-like taste. That is quickly followed by fresh grassy and herbal hops and a very earthy grapefruit flavor. It leans more toward the bitter side and doesn't have much sweetness to balance it.

Feel is slick and smooth, medium-bodied and a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is good. The fresh hop flavor works really well for this beer. Goes down easy and the alcohol is hidden well.

Overall, a very nice fresh hop beer. Not the best, but pretty tasty and very drinkable.

12-16-2008 02:41:23 | More by bkilpatr
mudbug

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a nice hazy orange with a thin head and some lacing.
Smell is fresh grass, grapefruit and a little pine.
Fresh tasting with very bright hopiness thin malt backbone, very similar to Sierra Nevada Wet hop beers.
Easy to quaff, I wish it was a hot day, This is very thirst quenching and refreshing.
Cheers!

12-09-2009 23:11:21 | More by mudbug
awright

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

A well-rounded pale ale with fresh hop flavor, but don't expect NW IPA exuberance. Appearance - Clear pale gold color. Thin, quickly dissipating, spongy white head.

Smell - What the -? Nothing. Where are my hops? Very light sort of pedestrian hoppy aroma. Nice and fresh, but not a knockout.

Taste - Crisp, balanced, very dry chardonnay notes. It is well put together, as you would expect. The alleged 70
IBUs are, well, there.

Mouthfeel - Light, refreshing, it's no watery pilsener. The hoppy tang and higher alcohol warmth are noticeable.

Drinkability - It's there. This is a straightforward IPA that might have come from any grocery store cooler at any time of year.

I'd do it again. This one holds its own.

10-24-2008 05:29:55 | More by awright
Magpie14

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Green foil-top brew with green label. I got this 22oz bottle out the door from the brewery for $3.00! Not a bad deal....I gathered they are fixing to get rid of the stuff

A: a rather unique color with what looks to be clouded reds and browns, faint ruby, and light orange hues. Very light and bubbly khaki colored head with a soapy type of texture. Lace was stringy and rather dense at some spots, somewhat intricate in arrangement and visually pleasing

S: this is where my nose began to wonder. For an "Imperial Style" thats "Triple Hopped" as stated on the bottle I was not sure what to think...timid? But that aside, the hops are the focal whiff and consist of darker smells with strong earthy and grassy-floral smells. Delicate malts and sweet notes complete the scent

T: this is rather interesting. Hops have a strong footing and yet they occupy a different taste. It is not the classic west coast hops you would imagine. I want to say that things are much darker in overall hop character, not much fruity citrusy acids or bitterness. Hops are earthy, grassy, with leafy tea notes and somewhat stale at times, I would venture to say centennial hops that has a "malt strong" pale ale vibe.
You know what, I am finding a soft sweet lemon and maybe a squeeze of grapefruit making a showing as time passed

M: has a smooth glide down the hatch. Body is right in order with medium and like others of its kind, maybe just a bit on the husky side. I must note that a very light oily finish, towards the back, that is somewhat reminiscent of the typical citrusy flavor of high-alpha Northwest hops

D: this beer grew on me as I drank and made its way to a good standing. I am not sure how long this guy is in circulation for Bridgeport? but I am gonna snag on as soon as they come out next time. Still, this is a solid brew

02-21-2009 06:09:05 | More by Magpie14
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Nice to see fresh hop beers hitting the shelves again.

Pours a clear orangey amber color with a barely off white head that retains pretty well and leaves ok lacing.

Nose is mostly PNW IPA flowery hops with some slight dank sweetness (likely the wet ones) in the background.

Hmmm. A nice beer. Not quite as hop centric as i want it too be, but a very well balanced beer. A nice floral hop profile with a subtle fresh hop resiny sweetness. The malt backbone is right where it should be. There is a slight almost apple like twinge in the aftertaste and the bitterness slowly rises peaking at this point as well.

Mouthfeel is a slight bit heavy for the size, but really not too bad. Carbonation is right where it oughta be, and i like the balanced finish.

Drinkability is where this one shines. Very well balanced and a brew that you could easily kill a couple bombers of.

Overall a decent beer. Extremely balanced and quite drinkable. I would like a little more deep resinous hop flavor, but its alright as it is. A drinkable yet flavorful beer, just nothing terribly exciting. Good brew.

11-01-2009 04:42:42 | More by AKBelgianBeast
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Attained through a trade.

Appearance: The non-careful pour produces half a finger of head that quickly disappears. The beer is a nice dark amber color; the caramel malt should be shining through from the looks of it. I just can't get any lace to show up. I was expecting some nice sheets, but the snifter is perfectly clear. The beer is just slightly effervescent. It looks like the carbonation should be nice and soft on the tongue.

Smell: The nose is... well, a bit strange. There is either an enormous amount of herbal hops or there is a weird hop variety in there. The nose smells like freshly cut grass, a little alcohol, and some sweet caramel malt. The nose is entirely herbal, alcohol, and malt. There's no citrus in there. Not having citrus in the nose is fine, although the intensity of the freshly cut grass aroma is something that I haven't experienced before.

Taste: The palate is also interesting. The malt profile is nearly nowhere to be found. During the first few seconds of the tasting I really don't pick up very much flavor. It's as if they cut out the malt flavor temporarily. After a few seconds, some herbal hops come into play to finish the tasting. More notes of freshly cut grass, but some pine comes into play as well. The aftertaste leaves a little bit of citrus in my mouth, but it's still very herbal. The citrus flavor is grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a nice mouthfeel. It's a medium bodied beer, with a nice gentle carbonation that I love. It makes it easy to sip on right from the start.

Drinkability: A weekend beer for sure. I don't think I could handle twenty two ounces of this on a weeknight. This was an interesting beer. The herbal hop profile in the nose and on the palate was more intense than any other beer I've had before. I will admit, I am partial to the nice citrus flavor, but the herbal profile was a nice change. I think if the freshly cut grass could have been cut down in the nose and replaced with a little citrus it would have been a very nice change to the beer that would score it a handful of more points.

01-16-2010 01:56:25 | More by Ek0nomik
kylesobrien

Quebec (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

I ran across this one at my local Whole Foods and had to give it a try.

Pours a beautiful shade of apricot orange-yellow, and by appearance alone looks like a few IPAs I've tried. Head is a dollop of soft white foam, which persists briefly prior to dissipating into a soft raft of bubbles on a thin layer of white froth.

Aroma is nicely hoppy, mainly smelling of piney resins with a slight citrus-like quality. Taste is very crisp and full of hoppy goodness, with quite a bit less bitterness than I was initially expecting. Very smooth and relatively full-bodied for a pale ale. Aftertaste is a nice meld of hops and a bit of malty sweetness to round things out. To me, this tastes a bit like some good British IPAs I've tried in recent months.

My only regret with this brew is that it was released in the autumn. I think it would be good just about any time of year, but I would have loved to pop one of these open after sharing an outdoor meal with friends. If hops were no object, I wouldn't complain if the good folks at Bridgeport worked this one into the rotation year-round. I might just have to pick up a bottle to share with the family at Thanksgiving this year...

11-12-2009 06:58:17 | More by kylesobrien
CHILLINDYLAN

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Clear copper amber with a big smooth offwhite foamy head. Droopy mountainous laces.

Pine, grassy, herbal. Apple and medicinal cherries. Toasty bread and caramel. Not as hoppy as i expected this hop harvest to be.

Fresh earthy grassy/piney hops. Mild toasty caramel and spiced bread. Mild herbal/pine bitterness. nice freshness and a hop stickiness that builds.

med body, dry smooth and sticky, refreshing

Great freshness and a very drinkable and refreshing brew. Not quite as hoppy as i expected, but a good all around brew.

11-19-2009 23:00:42 | More by CHILLINDYLAN
Docer

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Traveled far to grab up the last 3 bottles a Fred Meyer had that a friend told me about because I was on the hunt for this one.

I thought I would like this one better than the Hop Trip Harvest Ale but I was wrong.

A great tripple hopped Imperial by all means..

Poured a rich amber color with almost no head at all.

Smells slightly floral with some pine and grassy notes. Malt is quite present as well. Can't say that it is smokey though.

Slightly thick and bubbly, almost perfect combination for drinkability. Great strength.

Nice hearty after taste, makes you want to keep drinking it.

Certainly is from Bridgeport! A nice upgrade to their already delicious IPA. But to say it's an off-shoot of the Blue Heron Pale is a bit off the mark.

12-07-2008 23:25:21 | More by Docer
Spikester

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

From a bomber that was quite fresh when I bought it. Wrote review about three months ago.
Huge pine-hop nose. Pours dark amber with a one finger cream color head. Taste is bitter pine citrus with a strong malt backing. Hops win the flavor battle. Mouthfeel was just right with proper carbonation level. Plenty of interesting flavors separate this from most West Coast big beers. I will be having this again.

02-07-2009 01:23:39 | More by Spikester
JohnGalt1

Idaho

Grrr!!! The Coop got this in a day after I wanted to include this as an extra in a trade. I honestly am surprised that Boise scored it this year... big props to Matt and Ashton.. Thanks for fighting a good fight.

22 picked up at the Coop today for about $5.. poured into my Smokestack goblet...

Nice 2 finger head... fantastic lacing.. the brew is a hop hazed copper.... looks great after every sip.

Nose is fresh cut hay .... green grassy hops and some background toasty malts.

Flavor is very green.. earthy and mineral.. malts tie things together perfectly.. biscuity... but everything comes back to fresh cut grass.. a little herb.. but I'm not complaining.. finish dies off leaving grassy hops.. the body is great.. nice big boned IPA but without the bitterness.. the hop flavors are so smooth.. I am hoping we have this for a while.

all 4's

10-23-2008 09:29:30 | More by JohnGalt1
yeastsipper

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Beer pours a darker brown, woody color, much darker than pretty much any other IPAs I have. By appearance alone, I would have had no idea this was a DIPA. Nice head.

Smell is nice. A ton of citrus, I was getting more lemon and lime than orange and grapefruit. A very earthy, piney scent as well. The nose on this one is very sweet.

Taste is very nice. First sip is a really interesting earthy taste. Not biter or sweet, just pure green hops. Really dig it. This flavor soon subsides, leaving lots of citrus and some pine. The on drawback for me was that this beer was pretty sweet and I like my DIPAs on the bitter side. There was a lot of sweet malt and caramel type flavors balancing this out.

Mouthfeel was great and not at all syrupy. Drinkability is brought down by the sweetness and the fact that there was a slight almost metallic flavor for me on the end.

Good stuff. Definitely worth checking out if you see it.

04-25-2009 03:59:56 | More by yeastsipper
pdxjazz

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

I knew going in that this years Hop Harvest was based on a different recipe than last years outstanding version. Previous one was based on their IPA (which I love), while this year it's Blue Heron (not really a fan).

Poured a big, beautiful cream head and rich, dark brown body. Almost nothing on the nose however. Drinks much lighter than it appears with a medium body and surprisingly little sweetness. Very little in the way of hops in aroma or flavor. Don't expect to understand what fresh hop beers are all about from this one.

Overall, disappointed after the wonderful version from last year. Much preferred the lighter body in the 2007 as the heavier body and darker roast covered up the nuances of using fresh hops. Hope they kept the old recipe.

10-13-2008 21:54:20 | More by pdxjazz
cbarrett4

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Ap - Very nice yet typical amber hue
Ar - muted hop, straw, and citrus aromas
T - the hops are oppressive on this Dbl IPA (see below)
M - Astringent, the tannins need to be checked
D - a little bit over the top and unbalanced

Verdict:

I love these vintage hop harvest double IPAs, but perhaps I am unfairly comparing this to Chatoe Rogue (correct spelling) and the Deschutes Hop Trip. Where those two balance the hoppiness with rich texture and fuller flavors, this brew seems all about hops and not much else. If you like Barleywine and other super hop brews, try it. If you like IPAs and Double IPAs, stick with Rogue, Deschutes, and Hopworks.

11-12-2009 21:22:35 | More by cbarrett4
Reidrover

3.78/5  rDev -1%

Dark orange coloured ale, slighly hazy,with a gorgeous thick,creamy off white head. Nice grassy/lemony hop aromas.Slighly flowery. Nice solid refeshing lemon-grass hop flavours,stay right to the end and beyond.Some malts. Pretty nice on the palate, quite good. Drinkable beer..but i can help thinking this would have been far better in its first month.
2009 version with 7% alc.

11-10-2009 20:52:56 | More by Reidrover
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

7% ABV on side of bottle with "from field to tank in one hour."

Bright amber pour. Earthly, fungal aroma. Bright, floral hop flavor. On the lighter-body side of things.

Slightly chalky hoppy mouthfeel...very bright hop flavor on the palate. Finishes a tad bitter but remains very floral throughout.

Fairly simple harvest ale and very drinkable

10-11-2008 21:40:42 | More by RustyDiamond
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2009 Harvest.

A: Hazy copper, off-white head has a little retention & leaves a good lace.

S: Grapefruit rind, floral, vaguely catty, toffee & biscuit.

T: Grapefruit rind, a little piny resin, toffee, balanced bitterness, alcohol remarkably well-hidden.

M: Moderate body is smooth with a dry finish.

D: A really easy drinker for its weight.

I love their sessionable IPA... but I expected a little more oomph from this one.

11-19-2009 02:20:46 | More by Derek
froghop

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

pours a cloudy dark amber with a large crean colored head, good lacing.

smell of hops and a wiff of pine.

taste of caramel, hops, nice bitterness, some pine, wood bark, ends with a very strong bitter aftertaste.

overall a very nice hop brew one of the better ones ive had in the that few days.

11-23-2008 16:33:54 | More by froghop
TheFlern

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

This is the '09 version fyi.

Appearance: Pretty red for an IIPA. Plenty of head that laces poorly.

Smell: Full bodied smell. We got hops, we got yeast, we got malt.
I think i detect some apple notes in here as well.

Taste: This is just a big balanced ale. Nothing special going on here but nothing is going wrong either.

Mouthfeel: Not much alcohol and a perfect amount of carbonation. It doesn't finish too dry and leaves your mouth feeling good.

Drinkability: To big to drink too much of and I want a more distinct flavor in my beers.

10-06-2009 19:55:31 | More by TheFlern
GClarkage

4.8/5  rDev +25.7%

03/27/09- Purchased at Mollie Stones in Burlingame, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, 2008 release. Poured into my 20oz Pizza Port glass.

Appearance- Copper-amber colored pour. Unfiltered with super fine yeast particles. 1/4 inch head on a very light pour. Increases to a solid 3/4 inch after a few minutes of sitting. I have rarely seen this occur. The head is creamy and sparkling white. My glass is absolotely caked with streaks, patches, spots and lines of lace. About the best appearance per style I have seen.

Smell- Smell is quite nice, but understated. Fresh citrus hops, but a bit muted. Some nice toasted malts and a dash of caramel. Also a bit of a sugar scent and maybe even a touch of honey.

Taste- This bottle is at least a 1/2 year old and it tasted like the hops were picked off the vine yesterday. Juicy, and extremely fresh tasting. Brings to mind the flavor of Great Divide Fresh Hop (which is my favorite...or at least tied for favorite now...fresh hop beer). Some sharp citrus flavors. Pine is present as well. Pretty bitter in taste, but has a nice toasted malt backing to round it out very nicely.

Mouthfeel- Perfect carbonation, medium mouthfeel, makes you crave more...super juicy. Long long long lasting bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- If this had smelled like Blind Pig...it would have been my first ever perfect 5 beer. Tremendous job by Bridgeport. I've always been a fan of their flagship IPA, but now I am a fan...period! I will be going back to Moolie Stones in a few hours to buy more of these. I can't imagine what this tastes like fresh out the the keg.

03-27-2009 18:44:51 | More by GClarkage
MYJELLOMISFIT

Colorado

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%

A gift from a friend. 22oz foil capped bottle.

A: Head is well retained, no bubbles jumping out of the glass. One finger thick white fluff that soon fell to a lacing that clung to edge all the way down the glass. Simply beautiful. Rich golden amber body with no cloudiness.

S: Sweet grapefruit, caramel, a little spike of alcohol.

T: Citrus on the front. There is no sweetness like the smell would suggest. Instead it is bitter from beginning to end. Pine in the finish with some lemon zest. Hops. Hops. Not tongue numbing IBU's but lots of citrus, lemon, grapefruit, almost PineSol-ish.

M: Mouthfeel is ok. A little heavy on the carbonation but weight is where it needs to be.

D: Easily drinkable from the looks of things.

11-13-2008 04:37:40 | More by MYJELLOMISFIT
Wasatch

Utah

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

22oz. Bomber
Green Foiled/Cap

Pours a very nice hazy dark golden orange color, nice carbonation, very nice two-finger thick creamy off-white head, lots and lots of nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is pretty hoppy, with some malts, very nice citrus/pine notes. The taste is very hoppy, with some malts, citrus/pines notes. Medium body, chewy, the finish is slightly dry/bitter. Very drinkable, this is a very tasty DIPA.

02-01-2009 19:29:32 | More by Wasatch
GJ40

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a hotel glass. Purchased at Whole Foods on Westlake in Seattle. No date on the bottle but being close to the hop harvest, it must be fresh.

A deep golden color with a haze and a thick off-white head. A grassy aroma with a touch of lemon. The flavor follows the aroma closely with a strong grassy taste. Much of the flavor comes from a mild bitterness that emerges midway through and lingers nicely. It has some toasted malt and yeast in there as well. It's a bit on the dry side. It's got a moderate consistency and a low carbonation. It falls a little short on mouthfeel. The glass is left with nice rings of lacing.

This is a decent beer and I'm glad I tried it but I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

10-31-2009 03:32:24 | More by GJ40
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks very much to RustyDiamond for sharing this. Once again a nice Harvest Ale from Bridgeport. I really think its time to list this as a style all its own. People looking for an IPA/DIPA are apt to be dissappointed as these kind of beers usually exhibit far less bitterness and far more grassy herbal,and floral notes. Fresh hops often make for much more subtle flavors and much more green flavors. This one is no exception. Poured nicely enough with a decent if somewhat grainy head that stuck around. Smells earthy, floral, and herbal, and bright with green hops. The taste is similar. Bright and juicy with enough malt to balance and primarily floral and herbal flavors. Very fresh tasting. The mouthfeel is a little gritty and grainy, but just the right body. Very nice to drink. One of my favorite fall treats is when the fresh hop ales start flowing. This is a good one, if relatively straightforward.

10-26-2008 16:26:11 | More by Georgiabeer
hophead247

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Not being a big fan of IPA's from Oregon, this one changed my mind. Pours a nice amber color with nice head and quite a bit of lacing. Very balanced smell...not too much hops up front, but definitely present. The taste was very balanced as well...a nice citrusy hop flavor followed by that toasty malt flavor that I just love. A very easy drinking IIPA that I wouldn't mind trying again sometime.

02-14-2010 06:17:16 | More by hophead247