Raven Mad Imperial Porter - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Released Fall 2008.

(Beer added by: ccrida on 10-30-2008)
1.25/5  rDev -66%

1.55/5  rDev -57.9%

Wiseman Justin Reporting:

Appearance: It's as black as a beer is going to get. Held to extreme angles against bright light you see a very dark brown. Conclusion: Opaque as shit. Head is very fine and dissipates quickly. Light tan; could be better. I'd say 4.25 but whatever right? If you swirl it like a glass of wine the head becomes darker and thicker.

Smell: I smell something really "unique." It reminds me of when I would have to help my parents change my siblings diapers. Not a used diaper, but the "new" diaper smell. I get no chocolate, coffee, or anything you would normally find in a porter. I would like to emphasize anything. This smells nothing like a porter. I can't name anything else in this smell. Smell 2.5

Taste: This beer is terrible. It taste like I drank highlighters or something else extremely chemical. It's awful. Taste: 1.0

Mouthfeel: I want to pour the rest of the beer down the sink due to how bad it taste. But I fight on for beeradvocate. If you ignore the taste that reminds me of something I'd drink in hell... it's 'mouthfeel' isn't all that bad I guess. Unless by "mouthfeel" you mean how it makes my mouth...feel (It makes me wish I'd never found beer)

Drinkability: This is a beer that I would give to minors to teach them that underage drinking is bad. This beer does not taste skunked it's much worse than that. I hope that I have a bad beer and if this beer was skunked then I'll re-review it.

I notice my reviews are much different than other people. Until I verify this with a second beer I would assume that I had gotten a terribly skunked beer. This beer as it stands now is one of the few beers that I want to pour down the sink

1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

Vintage 2011: 50% aged in Whiskey barrels; 50% aged on oak Pours a brown ale with some fleeting light tan foam leaving a solid sheet of the same. No lace. Smells of oak, cigarette smoke, ash, stale popcorn and some coffee grounds. Not impressive smell. Flavor is ashy and has some bitterness as well as some oak flavor mingling with banana esters. Medium bodied with low carb and a semi dry finish. This beer was a total miss for me. Not good at all. 3/1.5/1.5/2//1.5

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

2.28/5  rDev -38%

Served in a straight pint glass.

Appearance: Dark, you cannot see through this beer. Chestnut browns are evident on the very rim of the glass. Upon pouring a fuzzy, off-white head forms. The tannish foam dissipates rather quickly and the lacing doesn't adhere to the edges of the glass very well. I'm sharing this bottle with Wiseman Justin. His looks much much better than mine.

Smell: It has a spicy smell to it. Perhaps hints of licorice? Slightly stringent smell. This does not smell like a porter to me.

Taste: Ok, I think this beer is bad. Perhaps not the actual recipe itself but the bottle must have been left out in the sun. Much like the smell, the taste has a stringent quality to it. I don't get any of the typical chocolatey, roasty, malty flavors of a good porter from it. There is a slight bitterness on the back that may be from the hops or just my imagination. I don't know.

Mouthfeel: A fairly light body for a porter. It is relatively insubstantial. Not the worst mouthfeel in a beer I've had by far but weak in comparison with other porters.

Drinkablility: Again, as with the other categories this beer must be bad. I have no desire to continue drinking it and I hope this is due to poor storage since I love many of Bridgeport's products. Quiet simply put the combination of stringent smell, caustic taste and lack luster mouthfeel make this particular bottle undesirable.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Well this is possible one of the cheapest barrel aged brews I've come across, @ 2.99 for a bomber, I couldn't resist trying it out. The pour is slightly thin for the style, minimal head forms, just a thin collar remains. Some spotty lacing. The aroma features some mellow cocoa along with light vanilla accents. Not really picking up much in the way of oak. The taste starts the way the beer smells...mellow vanilla and cocoa. There isn't much depth. Things take a turn to the sweet and sloppy with some unpleasant astringency. For a relatively light imperial porter, this tastes somewhat harsh. The mouthfeel is thin and prickly. Well the age old saying of "you get what you paid for" applies in this case. While its not bad or offensive by any means, this beer is not well balanced and the barrel aging seems barely present. I often cringe when I plunk down big bucks for the high rated bourbon stouts, but I must say that the extra dollars show up in this quality. I wouldn't buy this again, even at its low price.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Happy hour tap at The Front Door, served in a 16 oz. mug. Live review.

Black body with tan/light brown head. Good retention, and plenty of lacing. There's a separate ring of foam on the glass for each sip I've had.

Smells of chocolate, light sugar, fresh fruits, and a tinge of caramel. Not really much roast, and a lot sweeter than expected.

Tastes accentuates the fruits and sugars, with candy apple and perhaps coconut showing up. Chocolate, cane sugar, and light caramel finish it off.

Carbonation is fine, but it finishes extremely dry and sticky. Sugary coating left on the palate.

Overall, a strange imperial porter. Very sweet for the style, and a bit brutal in texture and finish.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. Black with a half finger of tan head.

Pleasant smell of wood, roasted malt, molasses and vanilla. Nicely balanced and subtle.

Sweet tasting, then charred wood and lots of it. The rest of the taste cannon escape the charred wood, neither can my mouth. The burnt malt tried to play was suppressed. The vanilla squeaks out at the very end but it isn't enough to overcome the charred wood.

Medium body, almost chewy. Moderate carbonation.

It smelled great. The taste was just wood and more wood; a bit much for me.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%

Blackish brown, no head. Rim of beige lace some bead. Bit blah.

Coffee roast on the nose. Sweet caramel toffee and some spice blending maybe with some light herbal hoppy notes. Sweetish really, not bad.

Tastes a little weak upfront, with an under-cooked coffee note and some burnt toffee. Gets stronger darkness midway with a big oomph of roasty coffee and char. Finishes with a little vegetative note, kind of blandly bitter. OK for its flaws but nothing really great.

Surprisingly thin, little bit of carbonation fizz. Finishes OK.

A bit half-baked and not quite there in all the parts it should be.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A Pours a dark brown that borders on black that is topped off with a off white head.

S Some bourbon, oak, and some roast

T Lots of roast, some bourbon and vanilla but its quite muted compared to the roast which is a nice contrast to most barrel aged beers. A bit of wood is present as well.

M Kind of a light body with some good carbonation.

Overall an average porter, its quite drinkable and at the price point was worth getting, however there isn't really anything special about it that makes it stand out.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Beautiful little extra received from JohnGalt1 in a recent trade. Thanks, Toby!

Pours a deep black with hints of ruby on the edges. Big frothy tan head on top that retains wonderfully, leaving gorgeous webbing and lacing all over the glass. Smells of cocoa, coffee, bread, and leather...all there, just not bold.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth. Dries the mouth a bit on the finish. Not bad for a big Porter. Flavor is of black coffee, fresh bread, licorice, and slight black tea finish. I feel dried out a bit when I drink this one. This is pretty good all around though. I'd have it again.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

bomber into standard pint.

A: Dark and opaque with deep amber highlights. One finger mocha head that dissipated quickly into nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: Sweet and woody with chocolate malt. Not much hops on the nose.

T: Light hops at first that carries through the whole time, a good bitterness. Dark malt and charred wood. Slightly fruity like dried dark fruits. Very small whiskey presence. A little alcohol warmth on the finish but not much.

M: medium bodied and smooth, goes down easy.

O: Good amount of wood and smoke in it from the barrels and chips. Not a bad brew, I would drink it again.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a medium black when expecting an imperial porter to pour a dark brown to low level black color.
Aroma was pleasing with hints of chocholate, burbon, coffee, and roasted malt.
Inital taste was impressive with not much in the middle to back it up, missing complexity.
Mouthfeel was appropriate for an imperial porter with an astringent aftertaste that must be contributed from the massive wood ageing.
Drinkability is reasonable for and IP. I only drank one, but if I drank more, I would know what a beavers mouth felt like after falling "the big one".

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours jet black with 1+ finger of mocha colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Coffee & dark chocolate, herbal & minty hops as well

T: Chocolate, roasty grain & nutty notes up front. Some boozey Bourbon notes, kind of rough & vanilla/oaky notes as this warms

MF: Fairly thin, over carbonated. Body becomes creamier once warmer

Not a bad porter, doesn't really live up to the Imperial side on all factors. Would rate this at least .5 lower across the board as an IMP Porter. I would drink this again if pressed, but wouldn't seek it out

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very dark brown colour with a small tight brown head. Smells a bit of chocolate and roast. Taste has a small amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel was a little bit too thin for my liking of the style. Very drinkable though.

I would have liked to have some 3D glasses to look at the bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Tasted 13 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours effectively black, with a faint hint of brown at the very edges. One finger of dense medium-brown head, quite dark. Good retention and solid lacing. Good stuff.

Smells like an oaky porter. I don’t get much whiskey, and I’m okay with that. Very roasty, dark chocolate with a touch of char.

Taste is good, but a little funny. I still don’t get much whiskey in it, which surprises me. Starts out with cocoa (unsweetened), then goes into a deep char, then relaxes into a soft bitterness. It’s very three-part, with pronounced transitions between those segments. I’d like them all better if they blended into one. As it is, it feels fragmented and jolty. Smooths out as it warms up, but also becomes a bit hollow.

Mouthfeel is fine, though it’s light-bodied for an “imperial porter”. Medium-low carbonation. Not bad, not great.

An interesting beer. I really can’t find much influence of the barrels. Fine and dandy, but not more.

Raven Mad Imperial Porter from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub