Bridgeport IPA - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Bridgeport IPABridgeport IPA

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bridgeport IPA Alström Bros
edwardkersh

Oregon

01-17-2012 16:56:29 | More by edwardkersh
jdwilliamson79

12-16-2013 16:16:55 | More by jdwilliamson79
waldowin

2.28/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured a nice golden color, with an absolutely massive head. By the time I'd filled the pilsner glass half-way, the rest was a massive head of foam, that stuck around for at least 10 minutes before I could pour the rest.

The smell is *packed* with warm hops. Pine needles and citrus abound. Intoxicatingly spiced.

Taste is very dry, with bitterness everywhere. The hops are just buried under the bitterness. Alcohol is very astringent, especially for the ABV. Very disappointing, as the appearance from this brew had really raised my hopes for it.

Mouthfeel is puckering, and harsh. Almost vinegary, and not at all pleasant.

I would have assumed that this beer was just past its prime, but it was about as fresh as it gets, straight off the truck.

09-27-2005 09:20:27 | More by waldowin
harrymel

Bottled: unk

A: ruddy orange with a phase of white foam which dissipates quickly to a central cap. spotty lace.
S: some spicy hops, some catty hops, some english malts. meh.
T: Bitter and catty for me. some grapefruit and tartness. Malts are simple and biscuity.
M: Medium bodied with hi carb. semi dry finish.
O: Meh. I remember drinking a substantial amount of this, ice cold, when I first got into IPA's. This does not serve memory accordingly.

12-12-2011 16:19:14 | More by harrymel
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.28/5  rDev -40.6%

Appearance: Dark yellow body with a bubbly white-colored head.

Smell: Musty, pine-scented aroma.

Taste: Hmm. My main concern is the lack of malt to balance the hops. All that's left is an awful generic bitterness. Any decent taste is masked by it, as is any compulsion to have a second taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: In short, my evening at Taco Mac consisted of many, many fine, fun, delicious beers, and one really bad one.

09-30-2006 18:00:48 | More by ChainGangGuy

12-25-2011 19:59:10 | More by shlars1936
KyleVick4

2.55/5  rDev -33.6%

pint @ Taco Mac

A: Came with a nice head and left beautiful lacing all down the glass.

S: Was served to cold, but after it warmed a bit caught some simple smells of hops and maybe bread?

T: Grapefruit. In my opinion too much citrusy hops. Too much cascade or cascade family hops. Also caught some maltyness, but not too much. Personally think it needs much more complexity and a bigger grain bill.

M: Kinda light for an IPA, not bad carbonation, just right actually. A little swet for an IPA, but not to a bad extent.

D: Well the overpowering taste of grapefruit hurts it a lot. Other than the one-sidedness of this beverage I would have had another, but I didnt.

Not a bad IPA if you are a fan of citrusy hops. Unfortunately I am more of a fan of the piney hops and marked off accordingly...

06-03-2006 06:59:05 | More by KyleVick4
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

2.55/5  rDev -33.6%

A - Hazy orange brown. 1 finger head that sinks quickly.

S - Mandarin oranges are the first thing I smell. Soft pine mixed in as well. Bready pale malt.

T - Honey and lemon flavors that remind me of a cough drop. A very faint amount of citrus hops. A watered down bitterness. Infected?

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation.

This must be extremely old because this is not a great beer. The flavors are weak and watered down. Has an artificial taste to it. I'll try it again and update the review.

12-11-2010 04:34:59 | More by StaveHooks
peabody

Kentucky

2.58/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours out a cloudy yellow with a slight amber tint. 1/2 finger of white sudes that leave quickly. No lacing to speak of.
Smell is Budweiser with mabey a hint of more hop and some lemon peel. Really the malt is hidden as is the hop by the aroma of Budweiser. Yeeech!@
Taste is dirty water and Budweiser with a slight hint of bitterness toward the end of the taste. No pine, no Grapefruit, just a big dissapointment.
Mouthfeel is fairly clean but by this time of the tasting it also is a dissapointment.
Overall this is trash.

10-05-2012 22:23:37 | More by peabody
AleWatcher

2.58/5  rDev -32.8%

Reviewed from notes-- served in pint glass.

No bottled on date... I hope this one is fresh... but how would I know?

Orangey-golden color with 3 fingers of white head that settles to a soapy looking frothy cap. Good lacing comprised of GIANT bubbles.

Smells like light and sweet malts... then floral hops. Not a huge citrus, pine, spice, or grassy profile. Just floral.

Taste follows nose... with a bit of soapiness that really doesn't do anything for me.

Mouthfeel could use more carbonation-- this beer feels really heavy to me-- certainly more full than medium. I think the carbonation deficit adds to this effect.

The finish is very dry, and not a "Oh that is refreshing" kind of a dry. The "I think I need to dump this out and drink some water" kind of dry.

This is ok. I could finish this if I found myself stuck with a 6 pack. I won't buy this one again if I can avoid it.

09-17-2010 03:46:27 | More by AleWatcher
ssteakley

2.58/5  rDev -32.8%

I am new to this sight but have drank my share of beer in my 62 years. I love IPA's and being new to Seattle plan on learning more about Beer than just drinking. After tasting several of the local region brews this one is a bit disappointing. Bland not at all interesting. Did ok with some spicy food though. Will not buy again.

08-24-2013 18:02:15 | More by ssteakley
deepchills

2.58/5  rDev -32.8%

The 12oz bottle poured gold and cloudy, with an inch of rapidly dissipating head, in my tulip glass. There is little lacing.

Some light floral notes in the nose, maybe a little pine. Nose is very faint.

The beer is well carbonated and easy to drink, very crisp for an IPA.

The flavor is so light and crisp that it's hard note anything outside of the obvious floral taste. Some lemon and pine comes out as the tasting progresses. There are some bitter hops in the finish, but hardly enough for a highly rated IPA. The light bitterness lingers on the pallet and turns into a sourness eventually.

I've always liked floral flavors in my brews, but this is lacking fruit and hops, things I love from my favorite IPAs. My pallet is still in training, so maybe it's me, but I won't be buying this IPA again.

09-06-2011 19:04:43 | More by deepchills
DenverLogan

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -32.3%

Nice lacy head that lingers and hangs onto the tulip glass. Copperish color. Not a big aroma to me, but slight malts and hops are there.
I've had this beer for many years and always find the flavor a bit bitter in the wrong way...bordering on a metallic. The carbonation is fine, color, minimal aroma, that's all fine...but the overall mouthfeel just doesn't do it for me because of my perception of metallic water, rancid nuts, infected lines, or just a lack of enough ingredients to give it a enjoyable body. It may also be this hop combination combined with yeast esters that give it that flavor profile. I buy a bottle once a year just to experience that flavor profile, and remind myself of the enjoyable inherent values of more flavorful IPAs.

12-18-2012 02:47:26 | More by DenverLogan
mschofield

2.63/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a nice cloudy orange-amber, topped with a one finger white head, leaves bits of lacing.
Alcohol, yeast and leaf aroma, aroma isn't very appetizing, it's ok but not very complex or inviting.
Leafy taste, bread, fruity, biscuit with a citrusy aftertaste.
Medium bodied, poor to average drinkability, I just didn't like it, mainly the aroma threw it off for me.

11-26-2004 18:51:58 | More by mschofield
velmalikevelvet

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

This is *not* my IPA, sad to say.

A: Golden & slightly cloudy yellow (looks more like a Hefe than an IPA), with a bouncy but quickly-dissipated head that left substantial lacing on the glass.
S: Pretty standard floral & fruity fare; nothing to write home about.
T: Starts with a soapy flavor and ends with a bitterness that doesn't speak well for the brew. Not much in the hops department for an IPA. Tangy, like biting a penny, but less interesting.
M: Slightly slippery, but maybe that's the soapiness I picked up on in the flavor department. Thin & insubstantial.
O: Just not a fit for me. Maybe the right IPA for people who don't really like IPA, or suited to an unsophisticated palate.

12 oz bottle poured into tasting glass.

06-05-2011 21:01:34 | More by velmalikevelvet
bboven

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

Hazy golden body with a finger of head that lasts and leaves good lacing behind.

A citrusy hop nose, but there is also a yeasty aroma that hurts it; keeps it from smelling crisp and clean.

80% hops here, not very well balanced. The malt flavor is very weak.

Mouthfeel has a nice, mellow carbonation but the overall body is watery.

As far as a sessionable IPA, this one is alright, but it's a little too weak for an IPA, and the yeasty ester notes definitely detract from the overall beer. Drinkable, but noth worth buying twice with so many other solid choices out there.

05-25-2008 17:42:56 | More by bboven
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

One of the old favorites for sure, had lots of this stuff. A darker than average ipa, bordering on brown at times, a little bit of head. Smell of pungent Euro hops.

Taste, a good dallop of wood and malt to balance this and keep it PacNW and traditionally British at the same time. Nice touch, not really too bitter for an ipa, but it does display the hop mouthfeel despite the relative presence of darker malts and under average bitterness. Very drinkable. Price can vary, but is usually within this beer's worth it for the quality 1range. $7-8.

EDIT: Damn, this beer has went downhill. Picked up a 6 pack. It was like drinking lemon pledge. Its like they substituted hops for lemon. Original rating: 3.5/4/4/4/4

10-06-2010 00:52:30 | More by Beerandraiderfan