Bridgeport IPA - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Bridgeport IPABridgeport IPA

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bridgeport IPA Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Served on tap at a local restaurant in a Bridgeport IPA pint glass

a-nice dark orangey yellow. Others have compared it to the color of iced tea, that is a pretty good comparison. Not much head but the foam maintained throughout the beer.

S-Hoppy herbal and spicy notes and a definite citrus kick.

T-As a big fan of hoppy double IPAs this has a minimal hop presence for an IPA but it works wonderfully witht the citrus (especially grapefruit) sweetness in the beer.

M-Really nice carbonation level to cut through the slightly syrupy body. Once again the two work really well together to create a nicely balanced beer.

D-Very high. I really enjoy this beer. As I mentioned before it is not a hop monster like some IPAs but rather a well thought out skillfully made example of a delicious style of beer. I will absolutely drink this beer again and again.

mhaws000, Apr 02, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed a pint of this not too long ago at the Barking Kudu on Lakeview. Really nice, tasty IPA.

Appearance - Beautifull liquid gold look to it with a well-crafted and lacey head. Nicely presented beer. The kind you'd take home to mom on a first date.

Smell - Deep hops smell throughout with a spicy-floral aroma that makes you want to swan-dive into.

Taste - Heavy hops bite grabs you from the start and never lets go. Spicy and fruity flavors, hinting of citrus fruits and cloves.

Mouthfeel - a well developed feel to it, like you've really got something in your mouth. Soft, yet dense, resist the temptation to chew.

Drinkability - Goes down smooth with enough of a mesmerizing hoppiness the keep you coming back for more. Excellent IPA.

Bamabrew22, Mar 28, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance - Nice tangerine/tea color, generous frothy head that disapates very slowly. Carbonation is noticable. Lacing persists.

Smell - Hops are very prominent but surely not over powering compared to many other IPAs. Not one hop stands out to me, but aroma is fresh suggesting a late boil hop addition or dry hopping. Aroma says, "Have no fear - Drink me."

Taste - Good. Bitterness replaces hop aroma. Aftertaste is notably bitter but not outrageous. True to style.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation supplements the IBU bite. Medium body.

Drinkability - Middle of the road beer as far as drinkability - bitterness is significant but not extreme, medium body, moderate carbonation, does not strike me as having a high alcohol level. Probably would not drink more than two at a time.

Overall - Very attractive, pleasant tasting beer, would definately order/buy again but it is not an IPA that distinguishes itself.

CJStout, Mar 10, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pale amber with prominent yeast particles present. Mild head, decent retention.

American hops. Strongly citric, piney in the middle, finishes floral. Sweet fruity malt peaks through. Smells like wonderful hop nectar, exactly how an IPA should.

Medium bodied viscous balance of hops to malt. Fairly light, overall. Tastes like a fruity flower. Finishes dry.

Great IPA. I’ve always liked this one, one of the first to turn me on to goodbrew.

MrHungryMonkey, Mar 04, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a great beer.

I don't care much about appearance, but this one has a nice copper look.

Mouthfeel is nice, very satisfying..

It tastes great. It hits you in the face with hops, but it's well balanced. It really is a beer you can drink all night.

OkieBrewer, Feb 24, 2007

Nice pale almost orange color. One finger head that hangs for a while but I kept swirling to get that killer aroma going. Lacing was there but I kept swirling as I drank this one.
Aroma- Bold citrus and piney hop aromas.
Mouthfeel- very pleasing, some sweet malt but the aromas are transformed into a wondeful hoppy flavor profile. A nice forth heightens the citus flavors and the finish gives a nice bitterness to balance some of the sweetness. Great IPA and I've had it before, it was time to give a review. Cheers on this one!

ByTor2112, Feb 02, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 40 degrees. Thanks to Csims for this one!!

A - Pours a cloudy pale-straw color with a frothy white head that dissipates to a small ring...leaves no lacing on the glass.

S - Reserved aroma..didn't really want to leave the glass. Picked up some notes of grassy hops.

T - Grassy and citrusy notes lead to a hoppy backbone; bitterness is slight and contained. Finishes dry with an overripe grapefruit aftertaste. Enjoyable flavors..all pretty straightforward.

M - Medium body with a crisp, creamy finish...but...as it warmed, body really thinned out. Dry bitterness afterwards.

D - Enjoyable, but not quite into the big leagues of IPAs. If I ever see one, I might pick it up again.

JohnnyM2002, Jan 28, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

No beer finds its way into my bar fridge more often than this one. I don't think this one is the "truest" example of the IPA style, with the big hops and alchohol that enabled kegs of it to survive their arduous sea journey from Great Britain to the colonies. I'm sure a lot of serious hopheads probably think it's a lightweight IPA, preferring the over-the-top bitterness or higher ABV of some of the more aggressive offerings out there, but for me, I think this one's close to perfect.

Pours a crystal clear pale amber in the glass, topped by a creamy two-finger head that fades pretty quickly. Hop presence makes itself felt through aroma and flavor, nicely balanced by a little malt, but with a restrained bitterness for the style. Could have a little stronger nose, I guess. Good mouthfeel, not too thin, not too chewy, effervescent, without being irritatingly fizzy.

Not really remarkable in any single characteristic, but extremely well-balanced. The ultimate session beer...I could kill off a sixer at the drop of a hat.

Still kicking myself a year later for picking up just the one case the only time I ever saw it at Costco.

SloMoSlovak, Jan 23, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Slightly hazed orange-gold. Huge, fluffy, chunky, white head of thick foam - good retention. Perfumey hop aroma. Flowery, sweet citrus hop flavor with some earthy grass and grain. Juicy with a resinous touch, yet pretty relaxed overall. Smooth, medium body.

wedge, Jan 15, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Golden tangerine orange color, clear, with a welcoming soapy, creamy white head. The retention is appealing. Aromas of juicy citrus, pine resins, grapefruit, pineapple and some other tropical fruit fill the old nostrils with delight. Not to mention brisk grassy and spicy hops are evident over the soft bready malt and add further excitement. Smell is yummily dank. Taste is enjoyable too. Good even bitter hops don't take over and let the flavor do its thing. This beer feels light and softly coating with an extra slight graininess and nice carbonation tingle. Body is medium-light, and just big enough to hold this all together and still be very drinkable.

Highly enjoyable IPA. I'm always happy to add more good ones to my list.

tastybeer, Jan 15, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the bottle a beautiful butterscotch- orange color with an even cloudiness. Smelled hoppy with a tangerine citrus present. The taste was a definite hoppiness with a citrus-peachiness 'til the end. This one sits near the top of my IPA list and must be tried.

Monkeyknife, Jan 14, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Golden color, very slightly cloudy. Head is small, but dense, and leaves good sheets of lace.

Very pleasant aroma. Biscuit and honeylike malt. Floral, citrus, and blackberry hop aroma, suggestive of Pacific Gem hops among others. A touch of fruity and solventy esters. Appetizing.

Tastes mainly of citrus and berry hops, biscuit, honey, some fruity esters. A bit of sweetness up front, but dries out as bitterness comes in. More hop flavor than bitterness, but enough bitterness to make the beer balanced and refreshing. Fairly long finish of hop flavor and bitterness.

Fine creamy carbonation up front, with the mouthfeel finishing just slightly watery. Very drinkable, refreshing.

Light and restrained for an IPA, seems more like a pale ale or even an aggressive pilsner, but still has plenty of personality without being big. This would be a great session beer.

Well balanced, unusual and elegant hop profile, and extra character from the yeast. Very good beer.

Beerzebub, Jan 12, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle. A very good looking beer in a glass. Taste is citrusy hops balanced wonderfully with just a touch of sweet malt. Mouthfeel is nearly perfect. A damn fine IPA, full of flavor, but doesn't overwhelm the palate. No complaints here!

AustinBeerLvr, Jan 04, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours w/light caramel color and thin heat, slightly cloudy
Smell is of hops up front with slightly sweet toasted malt/citrus
Taste is prominent with pine and citrus, grass fading into slightly sweet aftertaste
Feels good in the mouth with enough carbonation and a light to medium body
This is a nicely drinkable beer.

Overall I liked this beer. It has a typical IPA profile although I think the color is a little light. A nice drinkable beer with all the right flavors.

ruleof72, Jan 03, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +7%

Edited on 4/18/2011 because I realized that this beer was the impetus for my beer-loving excursion that started in the Summer of 2006 and still continues strong through today. (Review edited for grammar because somehow I ignored all common grammar rules during this particular review.)

One of the first IPA’s I’ have had and one of the best so far, in my opinion. (A very short list.) It’'s everything an IPA should be. Great nose and great color. Tried this as a 6 oz. sample at a small bar in Boise, Idaho. You get to choose 8 samples brought to you on a tray and this is the one the really made me smile. (At the time I wasn't aware, but have known for a long time that this is called a flight.) I kept going back to it and it really stood out. I then had it in a 6-pack and it was still as great as I remember. I could drink it at any time.

Note: I cannot remember the name of the bar in Boise. I do remember that it was one of the better rated places to have a beer in the city but now I cannot find it in the "Places" directory. I assume that it closed down or changed names. It was a small, trailer-like place that felt like a diner. Any ideas?

Gatch, Dec 12, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Nice golden to amber color. Pours a 1/2 finger, small bubble head. Slight yeast particles. Not hazy, but particles. Kind of weird. All and all, a good looking beer.

Very subtle hop aroma. Slight apple and floral aromas. Not too big in the smell department.

Strange hop bitterness is the predominant taste. Pretty one dimensional. Fairly tart. Slight malt flavors as it warms.

This is a crisp and highly carbonated beer. I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. I had heard good things about it and was expecting a more balanced beer. More maltiness and complex hops. Not there on this bottle. I was done with it before the first 12 oz were gone. I'll have to revisit it with different expectaions.

biking4beer, Dec 07, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

A - 1" barely off-white bubbly head. Honey~gold beer with some sediment. Light lace.

S - Lemon citrus. Mild herbal and slight piney aroma. No malt balance to speak of.

T - Malt comes alive somewhat in the flavor. Moderate citrusy bitterness in the last third and into the finish. Fairly balanced but leans more towards an English IPA than the WC IPA I expected.

M - Medium body with delicate carbonation.

D - This was somewhat lackluster in my opinion. I expected more from this beer. I will try it again in the future.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Dec 06, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a peach body that is not exactly clear under a well sustained off white head with noticable lace on the clear pint glass that we have been sampling this style.
Aroma of citrus-grapefruit balances with malt that offers bisquit and nut flavors. Medium mouthfeel with a medium IBU level for the style that was very drinkable

karst, Dec 04, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating. The color was a nice butterscotch orange with a creamy white head.

The smell was not overwhelming - in fact I didn't really get a whole lot from it - but it was of fruit and floral notes. The taste, however, did give me something. At first I noticed... banana. That might sound weird, but I mean it in a good way. But that quickly faded into a much more mellow, complex flavor. Caramelly but not sweet, bright but mellow. Everything was very well balanced.

The mouthfeel of this one really stands out. Its very full, almost chewy, making my cheeks stick to my teeth. Meanwhile the substantial carbonation prickles my tongue.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but I really like this beer. IPA happens to be my favorite style, and this is a great change of pace from the traditional contenders like 90 minute - this one is much more mellow. I wish I had another, but I just bought a single. I'm definitely going to check out more from this brewery.

moklett, Nov 30, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Cloudy orange/amber in appearance. Fluffy white head, which disappears almost immediately. There are a few patches of lace left as the head and beer disappears. Floral and citrusy hops dominate the aroma. Malt character is slightly biscuity, but is overtaken by the hops in this beer. Big floral and spicy hop flavors, almost becoming perfume like near the end. There is some fruit, seems like orange and peach.There is a bit of sweetness in this beer, and I was surprised it was only 5.5% ABV. Medium body. To me, the perfume character hurts the drinkability. Overall, I would say worth trying.

Bierguy5, Nov 26, 2006
3.83/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours out an oragne/amber color. Highly carbonated and it still left some lacing.

S - Smelled of Cascade hops and yeast. Also, hints of pine.

T - Tasted very malty and fairly hoppy. There was also a pine-like kick.

M - It was crisp and smooth. Light to medium-bodied.

D - Nice IPA. I really liked the hint of pine flavor.

zeff80, Nov 20, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a slightly hazed orange popsicle color with some stray suspended yeast particles and lots of cascading bubbles. Head is crazy big, fluffy, and leaves thick raised lacing. Smell is a subdued mix of toasty malt, fruity esters, and some soft grapefruit hoppiness. Flavor is at first of sweet, toasted malt, light ale fruitiness, with a following of citrus, grass, and pine from the hops. Finishes sufficiently bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is of moderate body and has probably the softest carbonation I've ever come across in an IPA. This has session written all over it.

Not a huge, beastly IPA, but I love it.

goochpunch, Nov 09, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a hazy tangerine color topped by a voluminous off-white head. The head slowly fades to a craggy layer of foam that is sustained by the carbonation as it rises to the surface. Aroma has a hint of malt, but it's dominated by spicy hops that offer a touch of citrus. Flavor is sharply bittered up front, then gives way to a load of hop citrus and floral flavors mingled with light malt sweetness. There's almost an orange blossom honey flavor created by the intermingling of the hops and malt. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, slightly over carbonated, but it finishes nice and dry. Overall combination is very enjoyable and thus very drinakble. It's been a while since I first wanted to try this beer. Glad I finally found and bought a sixer.

aaronh, Nov 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Pours a hazy yellow amber with a nice head that dies down to a thin cap on the beer. lacing is really nice and the head leaves pieces of itself all the way down the beer.

S - Good hoppy aroma, citrus, slightly malty, some interesting spiciness as well. maybe clove? Really nice.

T - Citrus, grapefruit and maybe a touch of oranginess, bitter fills the edges of the tongue and cheeks, small malt hits which helps to sort of balance things out. Quite enjoyable.

M - Settles itself on the palate and then cuts through with the hop bitterness. Nice.

D - A six pack of these might wear me out, but I could at least finish 3.

rsyberg01, Nov 02, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours out a hazy pale amber color with bottle-conditioned floaties and a firm head, with good retention. Nice looking. It has a clean, fresh aroma, with hints of banana, flowers, and hops. The flavor is solid for an IPA, and suitably bitter at the end. No real standout flavors for me, and it could be a little more potent. The mouthfeel is excellent - finely carbonated and just the right consistency. Goes down quite easily. This is a fine IPA. I still put Bell's Two-Hearted and Stone's IPA above it, but not by much.

MDekker, Oct 25, 2006