Bridgeport IPA - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Bridgeport IPABridgeport IPA

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bridgeport IPA Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +7%

Edited on 4/18/2011 because I realized that this beer was the impetus for my beer-loving excursion that started in the Summer of 2006 and still continues strong through today. (Review edited for grammar because somehow I ignored all common grammar rules during this particular review.)

One of the first IPA’s I’ have had and one of the best so far, in my opinion. (A very short list.) It’'s everything an IPA should be. Great nose and great color. Tried this as a 6 oz. sample at a small bar in Boise, Idaho. You get to choose 8 samples brought to you on a tray and this is the one the really made me smile. (At the time I wasn't aware, but have known for a long time that this is called a flight.) I kept going back to it and it really stood out. I then had it in a 6-pack and it was still as great as I remember. I could drink it at any time.

Note: I cannot remember the name of the bar in Boise. I do remember that it was one of the better rated places to have a beer in the city but now I cannot find it in the "Places" directory. I assume that it closed down or changed names. It was a small, trailer-like place that felt like a diner. Any ideas?

Gatch, Dec 12, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Nice golden to amber color. Pours a 1/2 finger, small bubble head. Slight yeast particles. Not hazy, but particles. Kind of weird. All and all, a good looking beer.

Very subtle hop aroma. Slight apple and floral aromas. Not too big in the smell department.

Strange hop bitterness is the predominant taste. Pretty one dimensional. Fairly tart. Slight malt flavors as it warms.

This is a crisp and highly carbonated beer. I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. I had heard good things about it and was expecting a more balanced beer. More maltiness and complex hops. Not there on this bottle. I was done with it before the first 12 oz were gone. I'll have to revisit it with different expectaions.

biking4beer, Dec 07, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

A - 1" barely off-white bubbly head. Honey~gold beer with some sediment. Light lace.

S - Lemon citrus. Mild herbal and slight piney aroma. No malt balance to speak of.

T - Malt comes alive somewhat in the flavor. Moderate citrusy bitterness in the last third and into the finish. Fairly balanced but leans more towards an English IPA than the WC IPA I expected.

M - Medium body with delicate carbonation.

D - This was somewhat lackluster in my opinion. I expected more from this beer. I will try it again in the future.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Dec 06, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a peach body that is not exactly clear under a well sustained off white head with noticable lace on the clear pint glass that we have been sampling this style.
Aroma of citrus-grapefruit balances with malt that offers bisquit and nut flavors. Medium mouthfeel with a medium IBU level for the style that was very drinkable

karst, Dec 04, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating. The color was a nice butterscotch orange with a creamy white head.

The smell was not overwhelming - in fact I didn't really get a whole lot from it - but it was of fruit and floral notes. The taste, however, did give me something. At first I noticed... banana. That might sound weird, but I mean it in a good way. But that quickly faded into a much more mellow, complex flavor. Caramelly but not sweet, bright but mellow. Everything was very well balanced.

The mouthfeel of this one really stands out. Its very full, almost chewy, making my cheeks stick to my teeth. Meanwhile the substantial carbonation prickles my tongue.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood, but I really like this beer. IPA happens to be my favorite style, and this is a great change of pace from the traditional contenders like 90 minute - this one is much more mellow. I wish I had another, but I just bought a single. I'm definitely going to check out more from this brewery.

moklett, Nov 30, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Cloudy orange/amber in appearance. Fluffy white head, which disappears almost immediately. There are a few patches of lace left as the head and beer disappears. Floral and citrusy hops dominate the aroma. Malt character is slightly biscuity, but is overtaken by the hops in this beer. Big floral and spicy hop flavors, almost becoming perfume like near the end. There is some fruit, seems like orange and peach.There is a bit of sweetness in this beer, and I was surprised it was only 5.5% ABV. Medium body. To me, the perfume character hurts the drinkability. Overall, I would say worth trying.

Bierguy5, Nov 26, 2006
3.83/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours out an oragne/amber color. Highly carbonated and it still left some lacing.

S - Smelled of Cascade hops and yeast. Also, hints of pine.

T - Tasted very malty and fairly hoppy. There was also a pine-like kick.

M - It was crisp and smooth. Light to medium-bodied.

D - Nice IPA. I really liked the hint of pine flavor.

zeff80, Nov 20, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a slightly hazed orange popsicle color with some stray suspended yeast particles and lots of cascading bubbles. Head is crazy big, fluffy, and leaves thick raised lacing. Smell is a subdued mix of toasty malt, fruity esters, and some soft grapefruit hoppiness. Flavor is at first of sweet, toasted malt, light ale fruitiness, with a following of citrus, grass, and pine from the hops. Finishes sufficiently bitter and dry. Mouthfeel is of moderate body and has probably the softest carbonation I've ever come across in an IPA. This has session written all over it.

Not a huge, beastly IPA, but I love it.

goochpunch, Nov 09, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a hazy tangerine color topped by a voluminous off-white head. The head slowly fades to a craggy layer of foam that is sustained by the carbonation as it rises to the surface. Aroma has a hint of malt, but it's dominated by spicy hops that offer a touch of citrus. Flavor is sharply bittered up front, then gives way to a load of hop citrus and floral flavors mingled with light malt sweetness. There's almost an orange blossom honey flavor created by the intermingling of the hops and malt. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, slightly over carbonated, but it finishes nice and dry. Overall combination is very enjoyable and thus very drinakble. It's been a while since I first wanted to try this beer. Glad I finally found and bought a sixer.

aaronh, Nov 08, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Pours a hazy yellow amber with a nice head that dies down to a thin cap on the beer. lacing is really nice and the head leaves pieces of itself all the way down the beer.

S - Good hoppy aroma, citrus, slightly malty, some interesting spiciness as well. maybe clove? Really nice.

T - Citrus, grapefruit and maybe a touch of oranginess, bitter fills the edges of the tongue and cheeks, small malt hits which helps to sort of balance things out. Quite enjoyable.

M - Settles itself on the palate and then cuts through with the hop bitterness. Nice.

D - A six pack of these might wear me out, but I could at least finish 3.

rsyberg01, Nov 02, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours out a hazy pale amber color with bottle-conditioned floaties and a firm head, with good retention. Nice looking. It has a clean, fresh aroma, with hints of banana, flowers, and hops. The flavor is solid for an IPA, and suitably bitter at the end. No real standout flavors for me, and it could be a little more potent. The mouthfeel is excellent - finely carbonated and just the right consistency. Goes down quite easily. This is a fine IPA. I still put Bell's Two-Hearted and Stone's IPA above it, but not by much.

MDekker, Oct 25, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Pefect pour by Jessica at Tacomac in Alpharetta GA. This girl knows beer and knows how to pour them. I bet some people complian though when the order a "pint" from here and get a 1/2-3/4 inch head.

A-Golden cloudy, 1/2 inch head very fine bubbles, decent retention, good lacing.

S-Green and citrus hop, not alot of malt there but a decent aroma none the less

T- Citrus hop, light malt finish. A little simple in flavor profile over all.

M-Light body, nice carbonation.

D-so so I could have a couple if it was the only non-macro available but alas there are 50 beers on tap at Tacomac and 250 more by bottle, so I must move on.

jackorain, Oct 20, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +7%

I must say, I was quite surprised with this offering. Poured a cloudy yellow-orange colour with a beautiful, fluffy, snow white head that stuck around for several minutes. Very nice. Smell was grapefruit rind, medium floral hops, and sweet malt in the background. Smells very tempting, indeed.
Taste was more of the smell at first, but it left a lovely, dry, biscuity sensation in my mouth that was very pleasant. Mouthfeel was right on target for the style with a perfect level of carbonation.
A fantastic ale indeed, and a great example of the style.

SilentSabre, Oct 17, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - with a vigourous pour, this beer yeilded a huge marshmellowy head that shrunk with some time to leave a lot of lacing on the glass. really pretty. the color is also nice - a hazy copper.

S - smell is all citrus hops and some notes of green-apple alcohol.

T - surpisingly complex palate from this beer. it starts off with some hop bitterness, which changed to a more fruity tone, and finished with bready malt.

M - the mouthfeel is on the good side, but a little thin for my liking. the carbonation, on the other hand, is strong and bites both the tip of the tongue and the roof of the mouth.

D - this a very drinkable beer. i'll have to remember to get this in the future!

isaac, Oct 15, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I think the beer gods are trying to make an IPA drinker out of me yet. Thanks to Csims for sending me this bottle via trade!

A - Nice yellowish / orange color, large white head.

S - grapefruit and undetones of sweet malt.

T - Nice almost english IPA citrus tang, with a good malty body. Not over the top hopped in any way.

M - I like this as a bottle conditioned IPA. Has a medium body but feels soft on the tongue. Very nice roll across the tongue.

D - Yeah, I could easily drink a few of these in a session. If more IPA's tasted like this I would be convert.

barleywinebrewer, Oct 11, 2006

good beer.the bottle does not have a twist cap you must use a opener. nice amber creamy head.slight haze you cant see the brewers yeast in the bottle.taste the bitterness of the hops.even my light beer drinking daughters like this one. i highly recomend it.

tbone53, Oct 02, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

Appearance: Dark yellow body with a bubbly white-colored head.

Smell: Musty, pine-scented aroma.

Taste: Hmm. My main concern is the lack of malt to balance the hops. All that's left is an awful generic bitterness. Any decent taste is masked by it, as is any compulsion to have a second taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: In short, my evening at Taco Mac consisted of many, many fine, fun, delicious beers, and one really bad one.

ChainGangGuy, Sep 30, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Cloudy, orangey-gold color with a decent off-white head that takes a while to fade to a thin cover. Subdued aromas of pine needle hoppiness along with some maltiness. On the palate a sharp hoppy character to go with some pleasing citrus fruit notes. Nice level of carbonation. Very refreshing.

A solid IPA brew. Bridgeport continues to impress due to it's excellent bang for the buck.

scluffman, Sep 24, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Nice and drinkable IPA. Not over-the-top at all.

Pour a slightly cloudy brown in color. The result of bottle conditioning and a lazy pour. Fairly decent carbonation rising to the surface. Nose is slightly piney but mellow.

Flavor is very earthy. Lots of earthy, piney hops but not overly biting bitter. Some orange and lemond rinds too. Kind of a wood tannin thing going on as well. Full mouthfeel with some slightly sticky oils. Very solid and easy drinking example of the style.

MuddyFeet, Sep 22, 2006
3.83/5  rDev 0%

Normally just stick to strong Porters and Stouts and very rarely ever drink anything that is not near black in color, however, I am glad I broke my routine and tried this one. I had this IPA from a bottle and to my surprise it was darker in color than I expected (I was expecting it a have a very clear yellow, "pilsner" color). It had a cloudy(like a wheat beer) golden color. It had a good hoppy smell to it and the taste was wonderful! With its good carbonation, hops flavor, and 5.5% ABV one can very easily just sit back and enjoy this one. I have become a fan of the Bridgeport IPA and I would recommend it to anyone. Cheers!

cornet1, Sep 20, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Very cloudy with some carbonation still visible. Color is orange with a thin white head that seems to last and last. Decent amount of lacing.

S: Hops dominate the nose, but are still not to strong. Some sweet malts are in the background. Reminicent of a hoppy pale ale.

T: Like in the nose hops are the dominate flavor, but they are quite light compared to other IPA's. fruity malts come out midtaste reminding me a bit of oranges. Finish is citrusy and bitter.

M: High carbonation and a little bit watery.

D: This is one of the lightest IPA's I've ever had, but that's not a bad thing. From time to time I still buy this when I am craving an IPA but not something hopped to high hell. This would be an excellent place to start if you are uninitiated to the world of IPA's.

MLegendre, Sep 20, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Nice orangish yellow color with a .75" head with a little lacing in and around the glass.

Smell is floral and citrus with some sweet malt with some carmel notes.

Taste is refreshingly citrus with a nice hoppy bitterness that finishes with the flavor of tangerine.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with a clean dry finish.

Drinkablility is very good. I could drink a lot these on a warm summer day.

hckyfn9999, Sep 12, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Wow, I've seen this one everywhere, even Costco, but have always bought the others (the rule of buy the uncommon beer). Served room temperature this was excellent.
A: Poured a golden/amber draught glass with 1" head.

S: The aroma was a flowery hoppy nose.

T: Taste bursts with fruity citrus hop, which is full of flavor and enlightens the palette with many complex tastes. The finish is distinct of a nice ripe grapefruit.

M: Terrific mouthfeel, very smooth hop taste in the mouth.

D: Enjoy this one when possible but drink it as if it is the only one.

Elbows Up,
Adam

bodybyadam, Sep 10, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Bright orange-golden color in the glass with a generous fluffy white head.

Inviting hop and malt aroma pulls you in, but the taste is what assaults your tongue. Bam! Lots of hops. Plenty of bracing bitterness but also lots of floral notes, some pine, some citrus, maybe even a tiny bit of rosemary.

One of my favorite westcoast IPA's, particularly for the price. This review of it is from the bottle (a bargan at $6.19/6 pack) bought here in OKC, but I've also enjoyed this beer at Bridgeport's Hawthorne Street Ale House in Portland. I think the version on tap was even more floral but that could just be my imagination.

jmbranum, Sep 03, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

I visited Bridgeport Brewery a few years while attending a conference in Portland. After the academics were completed, I did some beer research! The brewery is located in a century-old, brick and ivy warehouse within walking distance of downtown. It's worth the visit for those who find themselves in Portland. I had to pass the Rogue pub on the way; can you believe the luck?

My Bridgeport IPA poured a goldish-orange and was capped by an attractive fluffy head, which dissipated after 5 minutes or so leaving competent lacework.

The aroma is spot on for hopheads. It's all about citrus. I grew up in Indian River County Florida where the best oranges and grapefruit in the country are grown.(California citrus has nothing on east coast Florida!) This beer's scent is white grapefuit with a hint of pine.

Some of the hoppiest and best IPAs I've had (Goose Island, Stone, Rock Bottom, Dogfish 60) all share that slight essence of orange soda just as gravity is taking the beer onto the tongue. Ditto that here. Then the tastebuds revolt because of the hop bomb you've dropped on them, yet at the same time sizzling in delight that you're not drinking some boring Bud-Miller-Stella-Heiny beverage. The astringent hop flavor peels down the sides of the tongue and the brain asks for more. Are those Centennial hops?

Mouthfeel is medium with tongue-curling carbonation. There's nothing more disappointing than an IPA with flabby carbonation. No worries about that here.

At the brewery, you can sample this IPA in its cask-conditioned version and buy one of their IPA shirts that state sagaciously that "beer was once a standard military staple." Far hoppier than any of the IPAs or PAs I've had in Great Britain; definitely west coast style. A terrific beer for those who like an overdose of the hop.

Only $6.49 for the sixer.

etenbus, Aug 20, 2006