Bridgeport IPA - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Bridgeport IPABridgeport IPA

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bridgeport IPA Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

The color is a hazy golden copper with plenty of tiny bubbles for carbonation. The head is large, creamy, and thick. Retention is good. The aroma is of a pleasent citrussy hop with a bit of pine smell. The taste is of a crisp hop with an nice underlying malt body. A dry hop bitterness becomes strong in the finish. The overall flavor seems a little watery and a tad bit thin. This isn't bad by any means, but this also doesn't stand out from the large pack of IPAs available in Houston.

Gagnonsux, Aug 11, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Pumpkin colored with a sticky vanilla foam.
Nose of shortbread, orange rind, and decaying metal.
A broad, even maltiness begins things. Honeyed graham crackers rasped with a fine-textured graininess. A moment of yeast-derived flour precedes the hops. Then they enter with juiciness provided by orange- and lime rinds, sprucy dank flora, and a shimmering, slaking quinine conclusion.
At first, it's a bit abrasive in its CO2, as it settles, the body takes up a hair on the thin side.
I've always loved a good session IPA, and this fills the bill nicely. It won't slap the taste out your mouth, and is basically a templatic NW USA IPA, but it is utterly sessionable, and tasty all the while. A good one.

cokes, Aug 05, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Relatively new beer to the area and is actually available on tap at a few place around town. One of my favourite IPA's thats available down here. Great hop flavour without being overpowering and just enough bitterness and dryness. Medium smooth mouthfeel with a clean aftertaste. A highly drinkable beer.

Xadoor, Aug 04, 2005

Golden body with a nice frothy head and some good lace rings.

Smells herbal with some pine and citric notes, a bit of malt hiding in the back.

Taste is full of hop bitterness and flavor. Bitter twinge start fades to a citric malt sweetness with some bready/yeast character and fades off with a light flowery hop and malt finish paired with some bitterness. Not as dry as others.

A pretty good IPA that isn't a hop bomb and shows good balance where it is needed.

KoG, Jul 28, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

a local BevMo outlet carries a 6 pack. unfortunately, they didn't have the longneck style that others have mentioned here.

this Bridgepot IPA flashed a hazy amber colored body even in a frosted glass that I pulled out of the freezer. at first glance it could have been a filtered heifenweizen, if there is such a thing. absent was the promised inch thick foamy head, but that's only because I have a bad habit of pouring the beer down the side of the glass to avoid a foam spill.

the aroma brought out a nice hoppy scent which fired up my brain's sensors. there was a hint of some other flavor that I can't seem to get off the top of my head, though I would like to say it's got a floral air to it.

a sip flowed freely, with the hoppy flavor dominating the tastebuds. an equal balance of bitterness and dryness complemented it. a hint of sweetness stuck around on the back of my tongue.

even down to the last drop, a thin layer of foam stuck around, making this kind of beer a special one because the endless carbonization. if you leave the beer sitting on the counter for a few hours, I bet the foam will still be there, as well as leave a biting starkness on the tongue

this IPA would be great to have for special occasions.

MarkBeer, Jul 26, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

The new arrival in Georgia came in a handsome tall 12 inch brown bottle with an informative neck label, attractive green and gold color scheme on the label, embossed lettering on the bottle. I am usually not too attentive to external presentation, but this six pack (in a manner similar to many other four packs from Young’s) was definitely attention grabbing.

The beer poured cloudy pale yellow with an inch thick off-white head typical of many IPAs. The lacing was nice and even after the head went away, and the carbonation later was soft and gentle due to the bottle conditioned nature of the brew. The aroma was all about the hops. Grapefruit, herbs, grass, and pine, emphasized the west coast origin of the beer. The taste was hops forward as well, with a tangy, citric, slightly metallic hop presence. The malts were cracker like and not too sweet, and allowed the hops to really shine. Although present in a substantial quantity, these hops were not overly bitter to me.

If there was any fault to be found, it was in the mouthfeel. The beer felt watery, and slick on the tongue, rather than the thicker mouth coating quality exhibited by the better examples of the style. This made it easier to down but difficult to really appreciate. If was a bit more substantial, and snappier, I’d have rated it higher still. As it is this will be welcomed in my fridge, but will not be sought after.

rajendra82, Jul 24, 2005

First off thanks to my buddy hoppedup for the heads up on this beer,pours a slightly hazy peach color with a nice tight one finger gead leaving a sheet of lace behind.This beer is from Portland and its shown in the aroma big pine and citrus-grapefruit with just enough nutty malt to let you know its there,flavors as well citrusy hop dominated but there is a big malty backbone to hold up to the citrus and pine hoppiness to make this if not balanced at least highly drinkable.A nice new find here in Greensboro,a hoppy IPA to get the hop fix.

oberon, Jul 22, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

A nice surprize on the shelves at my local Herris Teeter. Pours golden honey amber, slightly hazed, with a puffy white head of fine bubbles that stays very well and leaves mossy deposits of lace everywhere.

The nose is perfumed with a medley of caramel, honey, biscuits, sweet citrus peels, pine needles, and sweet floral accents. Great nose, which continues to improve as it warms.

Begins with a touch of caramel and honey malts, a rush of grapefruit peel and tangerine grabs hold and slowly fades into fresh cut flowers drizzled with honey and melted pine sap. Superbly balanced, very hoppy, and certainly a benchmark of the style. The last IPA's that wowed me like this was Avery and DFH 60 Minute. I'm not comparing the flavors to those, just the quality and sheer deliciousness.

Body is medium, highly quaffable, with a full and smooth mouthfeel accentuated by the bottle conditioning. Drinkability is dangerous as it's only 4:00 p.m., and I allready want another one. Go find some now!

AlexJ, Jul 20, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Hazy dark gold color, big white head, about 3/4". Nice looking beer. Lots of floral hops in the nose, fruity and slightly bubble-gummy. Taste is bitter and dry, just a hop intensity that dominates. Not a lot of malt sweetness, but this isn't a bad beer, but isn't great. I could use more sweetness in a IPA. Good mouthfeel, slightly sticky.

TastyTaste, Jul 01, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Hazy deep golden color, with a fair amount of sediment, as expected. The head is white and truly massive, with superb retention. The lace is clumped in thick sticky masses across the glass walls. THe carbonation is slight.

Aroma: A siff yields a massive wave of grapefruit and pine tar hops, if there is malt beneath, I cannot find it.

Taste: Agressively bitter grapefruit and pine tar hops, mostly the former, from start to finish. A tannic woody characteristic appears midway through the taste. There is a lingering bit of pine tar bitterness at the finish, subtle, but it carries on long after the end of the taste.

Mouth feel: Soft, full, pleasant, a bit dry.

Drinkability/notes: This seems overly bitter, when I cannot detect a malt presence, it seems a bit over the top.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a pop off crown, served in a pint tap glass.

Pegasus, Jun 26, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

I found the Bridgeport IPA at my local grocery store for $5.99/sixer. The bottle was the first thing to catch my eye, it's slender longneck design and colorful label working a bit of marketing magic. It's been warm for a while now here in Central Texas, and the thought of a nice, fruity IPA was appealing.

This is a truly beautiful beer. It pours with a cloudy, straw-colored body, topped off with an inch-thick head. The head lingered throughout the mug, and left tight lacing as I drained the sample.

My initial first impression of the taste was less than spectacular. I really thought that this beer was way out of balance, the hops being a bit too overpowering for my taste. I was ready to write it off after the first couple of bottles, but then a funny thing happened. I left several bottles in the 'fridge to cold-cellar, hoping that a little time would balance things out. My hunch was confirmed, as I found out several weeks later. The beer was MUCH better after 6-8 weeks of storage. The malts were more pronounced, the hops not so overbearing. I was able to truly appreciate the grapefruit and citrus profile. A mildly bitter finish topped off the experience. The bottle-conditioning adds some extra dimension to this beer, but it still lacked a complete personality, even with the benefit of the extra aging.

Good mouthfeel, not too carbonated or thick. Not overwhelmingly drinkable, though. It really made me long for a more full-bodied IPA along the lines of a DFH 60-Minute.

I won't go out of my way to get this one again, but if someone offered one to me, I certainly wouldn't turn it down. I really wish that it had been more balanced right out of the gate, but I'm glad that I gave it a chance to grow into itself.

Dubblebock, Jun 23, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with IPAs, but this is one great beer. The taste is basic: bitter, slightly sweet, and even sour but beyond that there is nothing more complex. This beer earns points for its mouthfeel, thick with only a bit of carbonation. Highly recommended.

chrisms86, Jun 18, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

These just showed up at Great Spirits here in town -- I hadn't even heard of them, but knew that I had to try them, as there aren't too many IPAs that are low enough ABV and wide enough in distribution to be available in my area. I got a sixer of these and one of the Black Strap Stout (to be reviewed tomorrow) -- both are very nice beers and good examples of their respective styles.

This one pours a nice dark reddish-yellow/amber color with a thick foamy head. Really nice appearance on the pour, and very substantial lacing around the inside of the glass as the beer is consumed and the head moves down. I'm also giving a good appearance rating for the quality of the bottle and label -- the imprinted glass on the top of the bottle is very nice, as is the clean, classic, gold-foil look to the labels themselves. Feels like a really classic beer to me, like a slice of pure Americana that I can hold in my hand.

The nose is dominated by fruit esters and a bitter hop profile. Very nicely balanced, the aroma really sets the stage for this beer, and whets the appetite for what's to come.

Taste steps down a notch, as the fruitiness is just a bit overpowered by the hop profile, and while I enjoyed the brew, I wish it had been just a bit more balanced. A complex flavor, but one that doesn't really reveal deeper subtleties as the beer is held or swished around in the mouth. Very solid, but not fantastic.

Mouthfeel is very good, with a medium-bodied consistency that coats the inside of the mouth pleasantly, and a nice level of carbonation. The bitterness means that it doesn't quite go down as nicely as I'd like, and the aftertaste can be just a bit cloying for my taste, but it's very pleasant and works very nicely with the rest of the beer.

Overall drinkability is good, but not perfect. I could stand to make this my only beer of the evening if drinking without food, but with a meal I'd probably want something a little less aggressive, so as not to take away from the flavor in the food. I am, however, considering cooking with this beer -- perhaps grilled chicken or shrimp will be a nice dish for this.

Overall, a very solid brew that I will try again. I was expecting to prefer the Black Strap Stout to this one, but this is probably the overall better beer.

EDIT (June 13, 2005): Nope, I just reviewed the Black Strap Stout, and I think that the Stout's probably just a smidge better. Both are really fantastic, however.

danielharper, Jun 13, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Hazy, peachy-gold in hue with an amber hint; I really like how this liquid looks, it is bottled sunshine. The head was off-white in color; at the apex the foam was two-fingers in height. The sticky bubbles had excellent staying power; it looked like meringue before fading to a very thin cap that did last the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing wasn’t very widespread; there were a few webby bands. Overall, I like how this beer looks.

The nose leaves little doubt about this beer. It clearly articulates, via the citrusy hops, this is an IPA with roots in the Pac/NW. The grapefruit zest, pine, and orange rinds provide enough hop pop to make me want to take a sip. This says nothing about the yeast fruitiness that adds depth and the kiss of caramel malt with a toasty belly at the back. Solid potency. I like the nose, it is standard stuff, it is textbook but little more… at least I can say it is inviting.

The palate is very agreeable. This is not a hop monster but it is not a yawner either. It reminds me of Goose Island IPA but GI is better. Anyway, the hops are citrusy at first but they turn woody and piney in the middle with some wildflowers as well. The hops finish very juicy with grapefruit and oranges mainly. At the finish and into the aftertaste I detect the most bitterness. The thunder is only a rumble. I really like the lively yeast fruitiness. The malt offer soft caramel and a tickle of toasty bread; I’m happy I can taste the malt, who knew this was possible in an American IPA? I’ve said a lot of nice things about this beer and they are warranted. I don’t have much negative to say about it either. This beer is solid and above average but it is nothing special. It is good… nothing more, nothing less.

Medium in body, the carbonation is a bit low but it works. The mouthfeel is pleasant and relaxing. Lovely all-round.

Well this is a session IPA. It is a BBQ IPA. It is a tailgating IPA. It is a good IPA that I’m happy that I bought a six-pack of in Kansas City, MO. It is not a Top 10 IPA but this is something I’d drink again but I won’t hunt it down. This beer is a drinker, not a thinker. Likeable. Worth a try.

bditty187, May 27, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Beautiful light golden color, quite hazy, with a solid finger of head atop the brew. Aroma is full of citriusy hops. Initially bitter with a lot of lemongrass-like hop flavor. Malt is very light, with only a slight residual sweetness. Finishes dry. Medium-light body with a powdery-dry texture. With so many excellent IPA's available, this beer doesn't really stand out well, though there are no particular flaws. A fairly light, easy drinking, but still pleasantly bitter beer.

allengarvin, May 26, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Semi hazey gold straw color with a quick and small whitish foam. Leaves light strings of lace across the glass and keeps a good collar.

Nice aroma to this as it displays a welcoming creamy lemon pie and crispyness. A bit pf raw lemon peel and pith sifts on top for the overall and has some hints of pine; also has a light dry malt whispering of biscuits. Clean and aromatically nice.

Nice, well rounded flavors with a milding lemon creamyness and touches of fresh peel bite and some pine bitterness. Floral ascents add to it along with a smidgeon of grasses trailing off the palate. Maintains a creamy body while it inlays a delicate dry malt backing. Finish keeps more of an herbal mesh of hops mingling as it drys off fairly quickly. The only downfall I really could find was just that, it was over a bit too fast. Nice flavor profile but didn't last long enough. Not a bad thing because it did encourages more sipage.

Nice creamy medium set body and a favorable carbonation and hop bite. Good drying character too. Actually as it warmed up, it did seem to stay on the palate a while longer with the hops.

A very soild IPA to say the least. Very drinkable (due its creamyness) and quite a treat with its forefronting lemonyness and overall mild toned bite. I will be picking this up again when dedicating sessioned IPA-like evenings or lunches.

tavernjef, May 23, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Yeasty gold appearence with a white head that dies down to a small white cover. Not much aroma but could detect a little hops. Taste was citric hops up front with malt coming through in the middle and a mildly bitter aftertaste. Aftertaste was exceptionally smooth. Very drinkable with a wonderful balance between hops and malt. Almost too smooth for a IPA but makes me want another one.

John1985, May 23, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Super-duper! Probably the best IPA I've had actually. I'm trying to remember the other great ones I've had...
It's looks perfect after the pour. It's thick, not dark, but a deep reddish gold/brown. In many ways this reminds me of a tuned-down version of the Mojo IPA, also a fabulous beer. There's a grapefruit hint with the hops, though overall not as powerful as the Mojo. Highly drinkable in spite of being a heavier beer. Because it tastes so damn good!

Gruntlumber, May 21, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer poured into the glass slightly hazy golden with a very slight amber hue. The head was white and compact, but long lasting to lace the glass.

The aroma was nicely malty with a light caramel presence. The aroma was fruity and slightly floral with a light citrusy hop aroma.

The flavor was nicely done with a nice maltiness accentuated with caramel flavors. The hop presence just balanced the malt presence and keeps the beer from initially being overly sweet, but dries out quickly after touching the palate. The hop bittering and flavor was grassy with a light citrus flavor.

The finish was dry with lasting grassy and slightly citrus hop bittering and flavor long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and nicely done.

12 ounce bottle. Thanks BIF20 and jimdkc. A very nice IPA. Bridgeport supposedly is going to be distributed in NC, I will have to get more of this when that occurs.

GCBrewingCo, May 19, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a cloudy orange with a massive foamy head. Aroma is bright and crisp with mandarin oranges, grapefruit citrus and a mild, sweet spice (cloves?).

Taste is very bitter and dry. Lots of hops flavors all across the spectrum with a sharp citrus bite. It has a clean woody flavor but almost no malty sweetness to be found.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Would be easy to drink if only a slight bit sweeter.

assurbanipaul, May 06, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Light/medium bodies, hazy light amber color with a nice off-white head that dissipates to some really nice lace.

The aroma is mild with a bit of pine, citrus and sour milk.

The taste is pine and grapefruit hops over a bready malt base and a bit of pear. Very lightly sweet before the hops take over, with a slightly sharp piney finish that lingers.

Fairly smooth, easy to drink. Not as aggressively hopped as some American IPAs but some may find this a plus.

whynot44, Apr 30, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Slightly hazy bright orange color, less than full amber. White pillowy head, holds some shapes and sticks at over 1/4 of an inch after a minute of settling. Laces in downward pointing strands. Hops dominate the smell, lurk with fruitiness but expressing a delicate orange blossom tone. Body is lighter and the bottle conditioned carbonation is muted and kind of nice. Starts out with hops accompanying dry bready malts early. There is slightly more juiciness to th ehops here, not scouring but leaning toward a gentle orange rind with just a touch of pith. In some ways, an understated example but actually well-crafted in style without being laden with standard American IPA "tricks".

ADR, Apr 25, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Small, white, filmy head. Hazy, orange-gold beer. Swoopy, spotty lacing. Big pine in the nose and a little tangy citrus. Very piney and fruity in front, with the fruit filling up and developing through a somewhat milky middle. More piney hops in the finish with some grapefruit. Nice nuts in the aftertaste. It's light, fresh and piney. Quite fruity, too. Some good grains in the finish. Intensifies a little with temperature.

kbub6f, Apr 23, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

This pours with a good creamy white head with fair lacing. It is slightly cloudy amber.

The aroma is light malt with average hop and citrus.

The flavor starts with a light sweetness and then moderate acidity and hop bitterness. This is a mild IPA by Northwest standards but a good drinkable example if you do not want hop burn out.

This one can be an all day drinker for the deck.

beercollector, Apr 17, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Custom lettering on a brown 12 oz. bottle, Cap notes bottle conditioning, 5.5% abv but no date
Aroma: Mild floral and citric (orange) hop notes, some sweetness as well.
Appearance: Hazy dark blond glass with a nice finger of white creamy head that laced like a good IPA should.
Flavor: Starts fairly mild with the hops in control, dips to a light fruity middle then comes an over exuberant rush of bitter hops, a very U shaped taste profile. The bitter end is a bit much, being all bitter, no taste.
Mouthfeel: A bit numbing in the mouth, light-medium body with strong but acceptable carbonation.
Overall Impression: The finish is a bit bitter for my tastes. Too much bitter, not enough hop flavor or aroma. I would suggest (like the Master Brewer of Bridgeport hangs on my every word) moving the hop schedule forward a bit. Even with the haze, the beer looks great. I’m not craving another though, just too bitter for me.
Thanks to Pegasus for the bottle!

HardTarget, Apr 05, 2005