Café Negro Coffee Infused Porter - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: philbertk on 12-21-2010

OG: 13.4
IBU: 30
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Café Negro Coffee Infused Porter Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +32.2%

I'd originally spotted this beer at a local store in my neighborhood about a month and a half ago. After hearing from fellow craft brew fans I know in my area about this particular beer, I went in on a whim and purchased a six pack of it for roughly $9. Oh the things I have to say.

After taking out my first bottle of it, I immediately poured it into my trusty glass mug (an item I'd gotten from the Colorado Grande Casino). The experience of tasting it I must say is good. Upon opening the bottle, I was hit with the aroma of coffee and a slight hint of vanilla. The pour was nice. The body is black, with a java or mocha colored head.

The taste I cannot rave about enough. Again, there was the distinct taste of coffee in it (dark coffee, I've since realized), with a slight taste of vanilla. The aftertaste again is like coffee, with a hint of smokiness I picked up on as my mouth calmed down from the taste. I freely admit this is the first Bridgeport product I've ever purchased, and with several other of their brews on sale - well let's just say this isn't my last experience with their products. Excellent job, Bridgeport.

4.48/5  rDev +25.5%

Pour it right and you get a firm tan colored foam to die for. The aroma is right in your face smokey/chocolates/toffee and or course, fresh brewed coffee. With a face full of foamy goodness, the coffee attacks and is smokey like a fresh pot of joe. Well balanced with little bitterness -- sweet and smokey dominate. Kinda dry too, no chemically aftertaste like some other coffee flavored ales. HIGHLY recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up on a whim at my local bottle shop...

Appearance: Nice dark body, very opaque dark brown/black. Pours a very small head with very little retention, and has a bit of sticky lacing, though minimal.

Smell: Immediately, there is the coffee which is accented nicely. Some nice roasted malt accompaniment, but predominantly, the coffee is the main aspect here.

Taste: An easy drinker on the coffee beer spectrum; i feel it to be a pretty balanced porter first, with a tinge of coffee infusion; as opposed to a simply coffee dominated beer.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin as far as porters go, though the more mild carbonation is welcoming. Not overly sweet, nor agressive with the coffee leaves this beer finishing rather nicely

Drinkability: Compared to more coffee-centric beers, this is very drinkable. I was glad to try one, and will likely get more in the future...

Mouthfeel: Kind

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

This is a nice coffee porter.

Pours black with tan edges.

Aroma is coffee with some dark chocolate notes.

Taste is very coffee forward. The dark chocolate is subtle, but present. Mild hoppy undertones. Dry finish.

This is a good coffee porter. Not as heavy as some of the coffee stouts out there, so it is a nice change of pace. I think this is my favorite Bridgeport beer.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz ,part of a 6 pack from West salem,Safeway.$5.99 LOvelly dark looking porter....dark almost black beer with a luscious, frothy,thick tan head. A thing of beauty. WOAH..aroma is great wafts of fresh ground French maybe Italian roast coffee..some chocolate malt rounds it out. Outstanding for a coffee lover like me! Taste is the same..very coffee like..really does do a great job..some thick toasted malts ..no real hops. Marvelous smooth latte like palate..wonderful stuff. I really love this ..its a REAL coffee porter. Great for us bean fiends..maybe not so much for others.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Got a bottle of this at the Market of Choice in Eugene, OR

A: A very dark brown color, almost as dark as a cup of coffee. Minimal to no head. Very good lacing around the glass.

S: Deep coffee aroma with some roastiness to it. Could also pick up some chocolate notes, and a smoky flavor as well. A very nice smell to this beer.

T: It's like drinking a cup of coffee. Very nice and malty backbone. I can hardly taste any of the hops at all. Has a somewhat sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium body, not too thick. Nice and creamy, and goes down very easy.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. It had everything I was looking for in a coffee porter. I would love to try this one again if given the opportunity.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Yep a large cup of coffee. This is something else.

Poured out of a dark bottle into a chilled mug. Poured black into a mug with a tan head floating on top.

The smell was malt with the smell of a dark fresh ground coffee bean. I really enjoyed the smell.

Taste- At first I was taken back but by drink number 2 I was in really enjoying this beer. Coffee is the number one thing you will think of as you have a drink.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. It took a couple drinks but I enjoyed it to the end.

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

Fully black body with a tan head that is rich and creamy (and leaves thick lacing).

Smells fabulous with freshly roasted coffee present; one of the best coffee aromas I've had in a beer before.

Taste follows nose well and presents a fairly light, easy drinking porter with a great coffee kick to it. Flavor starts off with a bit of dry malt sweetness, then the coffee kicks in and rides it out to a slightly fruity and bitter finish.

I could go for a bit more body and substance, but then again, it's awfully drinkable as is now. Any stronger and it might just be a stout. But it does teeter on the thin side for body.

I hope Bridgeport keeps this as a year-rounder as I think it's a great option for a porter. They really nailed capturing the aroma and flavor of freshly ground coffee.

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: murky black-brown body which lets no light through. Head is a finger of frothy tan foam. A good looking porter!

Smell: well-integrated coffee and chocolate aromas. Sweet, smooth and enjoyable smell; this feels like it could be a dessert beer almost.

Taste: not as smooth as the aroma, but the nice bite it has is welcome. Coffee is much more present in the flavor than in the smell, and there's a bit of a tartness that comes with the porter acidity. Quite nice, overall.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation, this beer is exceptionally creamy and smooth for a porter. I'm well-impressed by the texture of this beer!

Drinkability: quite drinkable, if you like coffee porters. I think it goes down smooth and would have no problem sessioning this drink.

A: Pours black with a think bubbly tan head. Very pretty beer. Head dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is really good!

S: Roasted and coffee as soon as the cap is popped. Very strong aroma. Maybe some sweetness to the coffee like chocolate but coffee is dominate.

T: Straight coffee. All the way through the taste and it's excellent. Very malty and balanced as well. Not really sweet, as the smell somewhat eluded to. Smooth and crisp with a really fair amount of body for a porter.

COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE!!! AMAZING!! I'm not sure if I'd want to drink this beer everyday though. I would definitely buy it again but it falls into a category of beers that I don't buy constantly. I have my go-to brews that stock my fridge daily, while this one is in the realm of buying a 6-pack to have a beer session with one of my fellow craft drinkers. Great Beer BridgePort Brewing Co!!!!

Ok, this is worth drinking for a couple reasons, available in 12 oz bottles with a lowish ABV, very drinkable for the style ( ie. lots of coffee flavour but not too bitter or rough on the finish)and priced like all Bridgeport beers. I ended up just sipping this in the evening and liked the mouthfeel which just right. The coffee is a bit part of the flavour which is fine with me. The hops are there but play second fiddle to the coffee/burnt malt flavours

Café Negro Coffee Infused Porter from BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub