Kingpin Double Red Ale - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

OG: 17
IBU: 65

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 12-28-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kingpin Double Red Ale Alström Bros

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Pours a nice reddish amber with a 2 finger head, good retention and a thick, semi-sticky lacing.

Smell - Bready, with a hint of Caramel and a citrus hop note.

Taste - Follows the nose; bready, caramel malts. Finishes sweet, with red apple and a faint citrus note sparkling faintly in the back end.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Fairly decent carbonation.

Overall - A good red ale. Lots of interesting, mellow flavors. Definitely a must try, if not for you, at least me again.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Poured a two finger head with a off reddish tint into a pint glass.

S- Has a fresh cherry malty sweet smell.

T- The intial taste is a hoppy malty mix. Not as sweet as the smell which is good for me. The hops dominate moreso than the malts.

M- I like this mouthfeel. Medium bodied mouthfeel.

0- Really like this beer. Kinda surprised as most reviewers dedn't give this a positive review. It's not the best red ale I've had but I like it as I like hoppy beers and like the hops found in this one.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a dark copper colored body with 5% visibility, if that. Small, off white head dissapeared into a cloud floating atop.

S- figs, banana, caramel, bready/biscuity, bubble gum sweetness and a touch of alcohol.

T- Caramel, bready/biscuity backbone, dark fruits, malts and hops.

M- Medium bodied, medium carbonation and a semi dry finish. Could use a thicker body.

Impressed. Has a ton of goodies packed away in a nicely priced 12oz bottle. Makes for a nice desert, or a snack in that case.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

poured into a diconic

Great looking ale with a foamy, fluffy head and nice lacing. And of course, a reddish amber color.

Smell was eclectic: real good malt, some fruitiness but I couldn't say exactly what, plus a nutty aroma.

A nice smooth hoppiness offset with malt.

Very good mouthfeel owing to the excellent smooth carbonation.

Altogether, a very drinkable ale and with 7.5 ABV, that is something you may have to watch out for.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Not a Red Ale guy. I guess that should disqualify me from the review but here is a review anyway. Smooth, a little flat for my taste in terms of carbonation. Some flavor but I feel one flavor was more dominant than the others and I can't put my finger on it. I gave the bottle to my brother-in-law to finish because well, I don't want to waste it. He like it but it wasn't a favorite of his. Maybe I swayed his opinion. Bridgeport should focus on lighter beers in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Liked this on-tap, had to try it in a bottle. Sharp aroma is malty with an overtone of caramel and spice. It pours a dark, clear coppery with a pale golden tan head that leaves some good lacing. Mouth-filling flavor has malty and hoppy qualities plus hints of caramel and cloves. Texture has good body and a fair amount of fizz, not quite as much as when on-tap but still appreciable. I'm glad I gave this one another review.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a chestnut brown-amber, w/a light off-white head, leaving moderate lacing.

S - Smell is subtle notes of toasted caramel, nuts, and orange.

T - Taste is of bready, caramel malts, nuts. w/plenty of orange peel, and a slight piney-ness to it. All the flavors here are actually pretty subtle for a double red. I was expecting a more vicious hop bite, but this is kind of a nice change of pace here.

M - Medium bodied, smooth, light carbonation. Really drinkable for 7.5%

O - Overall, I dunno that this is one I'd go out of my way to find, but I'd happily drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%