2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Summer Squeeze - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Summer SqueezeSummer Squeeze

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: inthebeeraisle on 05-19-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 125 | Reviews: 51 | Show All Ratings:
TMoney2591

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Leave it to the beer world to teach me about the yuzu fruit. This stuff pours a clear sunshine brass-gold topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemongrass, light greens, slightly-funky lemon peel (I'm assuming this is the yuzu?), and a hint of cracked wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with a bit more wheat, a breezing of biscuit, and an enhanced bit of what I'm taking for yuzu. What's more, I think I'm learning I don't enjoy the yuzu... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I can't say I was much of a fan of this. Maybe it was the yuzu, maybe it was just a mediocre beer, I'm not sure, but the result is the same regardless.

08-27-2013 00:27:50 | More by TMoney2591
lighthabit

3.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pale gold, foamy head dies down to rim. very clear, consistent flow of tiny bubbles from bottom of glass. smell is clean, grassy, bit of hops, bit of malt, sweetish. taste is fresh, thin, refreshing, thirst quenching, hit of fresh lemon, missing all the crap that bmc would normal add to stretch something like this out. not my normal fair, but really, it's a pretty decent summer beer. nice job, bridgeport.

08-20-2013 04:19:04 | More by lighthabit
kojevergas

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

"Ale brewed with lemongrass with yuzu fruit juice added." "Summer Squeeze Bright Ale." 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with typical label art and branded pry-off cap acquired as part of a variety box/12 pack and served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger wide head of white-khaki colour. Decent creaminess and thickness. Retention is above average - about 3-4 minutes. No real lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a fairly vibrant yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Looks pretty typical of the style.

Sm: Lemongrass, clean barley, pilsner malts, and a near-lychee like fruity character I'm not real acquainted with. I guess that's yuzu? Complementary floral hop character. A clean pleasant approachable aroma of above average strength. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Looking forward to trying it.

T: Pleasant fruit; fairly unique - sort of a lychee without the sweetness meets a lightly citrusy fruit somewhere between lemon and orange - but not quite as evocative - if that makes any sense. Clean barley. Munich and pilsner malts. Quite well balanced in a general sense; it doesn't come off gestalt. Some zest and citrusy zing. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I do get a light touch of complementary floral hops. Maybe a bit of straw too. Decent complexity - especially for a style which is usually fairly simple - and decent subtlety. I do like it.

Average intensity and duration of flavour. Above average depth of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Lightly crisp. Good carbonation. Approachable and soft. Nice thickness and body; never overbearing. Complements the flavour profile nicely, but doesn't come off custom-tailored to it. Actually, this texture really suits the beer nicely; I fancy it'll go unappreciated but it's surprisingly well executed.

Dr: Quite drinkable and enjoyable. A good summer beer that'll scratch your itch; it delivers on the promise of its premise. I'd easily get it again, and it's a nice little beer from Bridgeport. Who knew their best offering in the variety pack wouldn't be one of the zealously hopped IPAs or Imperial Reds, but would rather be the simple easygoing blonde waiting for its turn to shine? A respectable downable brew from Bridgeport that I intend to revisit. Hides its ABV well. I'd recommend it to friends, but I'd taper my recommendation with a disclaimer: it's simple and meant to just be drinkable. A good party or barbecue brew.

B-

Drinks great from a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Not recommended for aging.

08-19-2013 05:20:17 | More by kojevergas
AlCaponeJunior

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'd say that for a blonde ale, it looks pretty good. Yellow and clear, rising bubbles, the head was almost two fingers and did last for a bit, leaving a white sheen on top and some pretty good lacing.

Aroma is quite citric, very lemony, and has a little bit of grain and grass. Flavor follows the aroma quite closely. It's almost like a slice of lemon was added to a nice blonde ale from all the citrus. There's a light malt backbone, and not much hops (which is expected for a blonde ale).

Body is light, well carbed, and very easy to drink, with a dry lemon finish.

It's a fine summer beer. Definitely good for mowing the lawn or just chillin' under a tree.

07-26-2013 19:14:07 | More by AlCaponeJunior
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.29/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Into a pint glass:

A: light orange/yellow body with a half finger white foamy head that rises a bit and then falls leaving some nice slightly foamy yet clingy lacing gracing the sides of the glass, carbonation is seen rising at a moderate pace

S: lemongrass and citrus are up front, lightly malted coming forth in the background but stays mainly subdued for the most part, and there's a nice spicey/pepperiness coming through to tie everything together

T: lemongrass/citrus leading to a tangy yet peppery almost spiciness, spicy aftertaste, dry finish

M: light to medium, fairly sessionable, carbonation seems good for an American Blonde Ale and good for me, becomes slightly crisp

O: holy moley, just wondering if all of Bridgeport Beers are this good. This is a great American Blonde Ale, holy crap once again, as this is probably one of the most flavorful American Blonde Ales I've ever had, well done Bridgeport and I'm looking forward to trying more of your stuff and will quickly have this again

07-08-2013 03:45:33 | More by BeerKangaroo
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.89/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The body is a semi-clear golden color. A foamy white head leaves a decent film, with good foamy lacing. The aroma is faintly grassy, light, and sweet. Clean lemon notes abound. Tastes refreshing, lightly grassy, with a good malt backing. Finish had a citrus touch. Mouthfeel is clean and light-medium.

Overall, an excellent summer brew, easily can down a sixer on the deck.

06-15-2013 22:37:04 | More by JuicesFlowing
mfnmbvp

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date, but I'm guessing it is probably a 2012 summer beer.

A - pours a very light orange color with a nice head that disappears quickly.

S - Lemongrass and citrus peel are dominant in the nose, with maybe some malts that I smell there.

T - A lot of citrus and lemon flavors going on here. Extremely tangy, and moderately carbonated, but it goes over well with the feel of this beer. This probably would be great for a nice hot summer day, but sadly this beer has probably been chilling in the bottle for a good 6 months. The exotic Yuzu fruit juice is a pleasant little novelty that this beer holds, so that only adds to the fun of it all.

M - The mouth is crisp, like an alcoholic lemon lime soda. Or something. It leaves a little bit of a sticky feel in your mouth, but none of the flavors are ridiculously overwhelming.

Overall, a nice beer. I like the citrus characteristics, and I like the exotic addition of the Yuzu fruit even better. The beer is only 4.5% so it is easy sippin for those hot days. I'll definitely have this again.

Bridgeport Summer Squeeze ---4/5.

11-30-2012 08:11:54 | More by mfnmbvp
chinchill

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle served fairly cold. Has a mild aroma of fruit and malt. Not particularly sweet despite the suggestion from the nose. Instead, nicely tart with a dry finish. Citrus (yuzu) more evident in the nose than the mouth.

O: a refreshing and unique(?) beer containing yuzu juice. {Yuzu is a Japanese citrus, typically used for its aromatic rind}.

11-10-2012 21:45:47 | More by chinchill
snaotheus

Washington

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours yellow with a faint orange tinge, almost no head, looks almost flat. Smell is lemons and malt, mild, slightly yeasty.

Taste is lemony, yeasty, lager tang. Something tastes a bit off.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth, but too flat. Overall, I don't think this is any better than an average beer.

09-28-2012 01:45:42 | More by snaotheus
ccrida

Oregon

Appearance is gold with a white head leaving scattered, foamy lace.

Smell is mild citrus from the fruit and lemon grass, but pleasantly restrained. A little bubble gum too.

Taste is similar, this is a clean, basic blonde ale with just a kiss of lemon. Good summer ale.

Mouthfeel is pretty crisp, dry, light bodied.

Drinkability is high, this one is a guzzler, but it's got that little something extra from the exotic ingredients.

09-03-2012 21:25:51 | More by ccrida
GilGarp

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Served chilled into an imperial pint glass.

Slightly hazy golden yellow-orange color. Head is thick at first but settles quickly and leaves little lace behind.

Aroma is mildly citrusy but not in a hoppy way. It's more of a lemon candy than a real lemon zest.

Flavor is mild, crisp, and refreshing. Easy drinking and enjoyable on a warm summer night. Sweet, lemony, and clean.

Light in body and flavor but not bland. It has good balance and is definitely more of a crowd pleaser than I'm used to drinking but not a bad beer by any means.

09-01-2012 02:17:28 | More by GilGarp
tronester

Oklahoma

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a clear yellow, with a thin white head, kind of light lager looking. Smells a bit of lemonade, and a hint of grain. Taste is begins with a bright lemony citrus flavor, followed by some crackery malt middle, finishing with a hint of raspberries, and grass. Mouthfeel is a little bit thin, nice even carbonation levels. Overall a quite good blonde ale, the citrus flavors work well here and certainly make this a good summer beer.

08-26-2012 00:26:26 | More by tronester
NODAK

Tennessee

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is, not surprisingly, pretty full of citrus although I also get some wheat on the nose...even though I am not sure if this is a wheat beer. We shall see!!

Upon drinking, it certainly has a vibrant citrus quality, predominantly lemon although there is another, somewhat orange, taste as well. Maybe that's the yuzu?? I'm really not familiar with what that fruit is. Overall, the citrus is predominately lemony but with a nice sweetness to it as well. Hops are pretty much non-existent....they're just not here. However, the wheat that I found on the nose certainly does follow through with a healthy dose of cracker on the finish.

Overall, it's a pretty nice summer beer....if I knew what yuzu even was, perhaps I'd be more adept at picking out what those notes are, but what I can see here is an easy drinking, light, citrusy summer wheat beer.

07-28-2012 01:02:40 | More by NODAK
mactrail

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

An actually new twist on the light fruity beers. That Japanese yuzu taste is really aromatic and gives just the right tart edge. I've only had it in yuzu seasoning sauce but it's not a strong flavor, and seems well suited to beer. Closer to tangerine than other citrus fruits.

Nice bright golden color in the chalice. Watery in a refreshing way, light and crisp. Plenty sudsy and a great champagne mouthfeel. Great quaff and I would like to find this on tap. Bridgeport surprises me sometimes, but it's another big brewery that puts out well-made beers.

From the 12 oz bottle bought at my favorite Denver store, Grapevine Liquors on Monaco.

07-20-2012 05:10:45 | More by mactrail
lwillitz

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - slightly cloudy golden body under a finger and a half of white foam; moderate carbonation bubbles

S - sour lemon, sweet citrus, grass

T - sweet citrus (presumably from the yuzu), lemony bitterness, hints of grass and peppery spice, bitter citrus finish

M - medium body, high carbonation

O - crisp, refreshing, and citrusy; an ok summer brew

07-06-2012 02:20:11 | More by lwillitz
intensify

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug. Tall, off white head and a honey colored body.

S- Lemon zest, orange peel, wet straw and spices.

T- Lemons, mango and a spicy(ish) seasoning. Nothing exciting, but not bad.

M- Medium carbonation, thin bodied 'lager styled' brew.

Refreshing and smooth. I could drink a few at these on a 100+ degree day at the lake.

06-26-2012 07:44:33 | More by intensify
mastodonj

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

poured into a diconic....

the finely bubbled head gives this light colored ale a great overall look. The lacing is generous and persistent.

Smell is heavily citrus as you might expect since the label says it is brewed with lemongrass and yuzu fruit juice added.

It comes across as a lager to me with much more ABV than the 4.5% quoted. But, of course, no trace of malt.

Mouthfeel is excellent; not overly carbonated and full bodied.

Overall, very sessionable summer ale. Being a hophead, it's not something I would seek out often but on a hot summer day, it may be just the ticket.

06-16-2012 23:12:37 | More by mastodonj
beertunes

Washington

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into straight pint pint glass. Poured a slightly hazy bright yellow color with just under 1/4 inch of white head that dissipated quickly and left very light lacing.

The aroma featured a basic "beer" scent, that general grain and hop mix that you find across the lighter styles. Some citrusy notes did come through however. I don't have any experience with the Yuzu fruit used in this beer, so I couldn't pick out if it contributed anything to the brew or not. The taste was overall very good, a nice grain base, some tangy hops, some citrus (mostly lemon) tones, and just a general crisp taste. Halfway through the glass I burped the most lemony burp I've ever burped.

The body was smooth, and while mostly clean, did have a slightly sticky finish. Drinkability was very good, I could easily have several of these on a warm day. Overall, this was a nice little brew. I thought the flavors could have been a little more bold, but in general this is an enjoyable brew that's worth trying when you see it.

06-14-2012 17:57:12 | More by beertunes
BaileysBrews

4.7/5  rDev +38.2%

Smooth, Light, Refreshing! I love the citrus hints in this beer. Like the other reviews I suppose that is the flavor of Yuzu an Asian fruit. Its similar to lemon only more like a lemon zest than an actual lemon. I hate lemons in beer now that my my palate is starting to develop, I'll leave that for the big brew companies like Budlight and Corona. I had this over Memorial Day weekend at my in-laws cookout. It finished well with the wonderful smoked BBQ. This beer is a beer that compliments and does not overpower. It goes down smooth and is a thirst quincher on a hot day. It just surpassed my old favorite summer beer, Boulevard Wheat.

06-02-2012 19:31:18 | More by BaileysBrews
HopHead84

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

5/7/2012

A: Transparent straw yellow with a substantial creamy white cap that recedes in a cavernous fashion and leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Pronounced lemongrass with grainy malt. There's a hint of sourness on the nose which I assume is from the Yuzu. I've never heard of Yuzu before, but now that I look it up I see that it's a sour Japanese citrus fruit. The nose does have a distinct citrus quality unlike any fruit I've tried. It must be Yuzu!

T: Grainy malt with a pleasant sweetness that combines with the slightly sour Yuzu fruit. Lemongrass is pervasive. It's fairly simple beer, really, but not unpleasant.

M: Light body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is smooth and dry.

Overall: A pretty solid beer. Simplicity is its flaw, but the addition of the lemongrass and Japanese citrus livens things up a bit. I don't plan on finishing this bottle, but I wouldn't turn this down at, say, a barbeque where this was being served. I don't imagine I'll ever be in that situation, though. Actually, let's say I'm at a baseball game, which is not something I routinely go to, but if I were there for a company outing or something like that and my options were limited. I would be happy to drink this. That's a better example.

This beer is really damn drinkable. I found myself guzzling from the bottle as I walked toward the drain.

05-08-2012 04:02:11 | More by HopHead84
riored4v

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. 1 finger, frothy white head. Crystal clear, straw colored body. Good amounts of carbonation apparent.

Aroma was a bit grainy with some lemony citrus notes. Mild maltiness.

Taste was very light. Some light grainy maltiness with a lemony citrus finish. Pretty clean tasting.

Mouthfeel was light with medium/high carbonation. Very dry.

Overall an extremely light beer. Not much flavor and aroma aside from lemon.

02-01-2012 01:16:53 | More by riored4v
Vashtar

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

The appearance is straw yellow. It looks dull and isn't quite clear.
There's a definite lemon scent, but it's a bit crappy
Taste... yate. Reminds me of half lemonade half beer that you find in Germany.
Mouth feel... diaper foam

Overall, there's a reason nobody has taken a picture of this already.

11-26-2011 02:18:57 | More by Vashtar
blakelive784

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass:

A - Pours a fairly creamy 3 finger head, with nice retention and lacing. Color is straw golden. Mediocre.

S - Grassy lemon, citrus peel and honey. Fairly mild, but pleasant.

T - Strong lemon and some other citrus notes built on a weak malt foundation. Two notes come through, and not much else.

M - Thin, smooth and wet. Completely wrong for the style. Where's the carbonation?

D - Not a bad beer by any stretch, but it suffers from simplicity. Drinkable, yes. Would I have it again? Probably not.

11-12-2011 04:24:03 | More by blakelive784
allengarvin

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked this up mainly because of the Yuzu claim on the box. Poured into a New Belgium chalice, it's a bright gold beer with a very small head. Aroma is sweet, with a lemony edge and a slight tartness. Flavor is mainly sweet malt with a light, fruity citrus taste. I certainly don't detect any yuzu here. The tartness is very restrained, and the fruity bitterness of yuzu is not present. There's nothing special about this beer at all. It's drinkable like a bland summer micro, but nothing else to recommend it.

10-04-2011 02:10:21 | More by allengarvin
Fatehunter

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Out of the bottle into a pint glass. Golden, light and thin head, transparent and lots of bubbles.
Smells great. Lots of lime, some lemon.
Clean tasting. Mild hop bitterness at first fading to a sweet malty flavor.
Surprisingly, the body was fuller than it looks. It works well, but it gets ahead of the taste.
Either bump up the taste or lighten the body to refine this summer sipper. The smell was the real star here.

09-30-2011 23:31:01 | More by Fatehunter