Hop Harvest Ale (2011) - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

No picture uploaded.
good

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: HuskyinPDX on 09-20-2011)
Reviews by AgentMunky:
3.49/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a glass. From notes. Reviewed 20 January 2011.

A: Slight head. Hazy, light gold.

S: Metallic-smelling hops. Sweetish malt?

T/M: Acceptable. Well-balanced, carbonated, mild hops, and largely sweet-round malt. Slight citrus.

O: Not particularly my thing. Drinkable, but not compelling. Maybe I needed it even fresher?

AgentMunky, Jul 05, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

HoptimusPrimal00, Jan 19, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +37.4%

I really love this brewery but they can make some bad beers just like every other brewery. It is not a knock on them.

This beer has a very good beer. It has a very golden amber look to the beer.

Smell the hops. I really love this smell

Taste and mouthful is awesome. It is not over bearing like every other IPA or Pale ale out there. This is very balance.

Overall I have to say this is a beer I would love to drink 4 pints. That's my rule if the beer is good. Check this one out! Cheers!

chicagobill13, Oct 25, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Thin whitish head, hazy light amber.

Nose is subtle, some apple, nutty hops.

Hops at the front, then a wash of nut, then leaves at the finish. Neat, not super bitter. I guess this is 'dripping-wet-hop'! A bit steely, but in a hoppy way.

Feel is pretty smooth, slightly frothy.

It's a pretty good IPA-- I can't say I've had anything hopped this fresh.

zaphodchak, Jan 21, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden hue with a huge, frothy head that has great retention and wonderful lacing

S: A bit subdued but pleasant lemon and grapefruit from the hops mingling nicely with a grainy malt bill; I wish it was more pronounced but this smells pretty good

T: A surprising pungent bitterness and even boozy elements but then the slightly sweet malts and citrus flavors balance things out and in the end it finishes well

F: Fairly sticky and oily medium body

O: A decent hoppy brew that comes close to real good thing but in the end is just a nice beer

dbossman, Jan 18, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

I just bought this bottle so I hope it's a 2011 because there is not a date on the label.

Poured into a tulip glass. Cloudy orange color with a half-finger of head, short retention but good lacing.

It has a musty smell, not very appealing. It has the faintest lemon smell.

The taste is nice and clean. Moderately bitter and hoppy throughout. No other real flavors coming through. It's nice all the same.

Crisp texture. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied.

A straight up IPA. The smell was off, hopefully it's not widespread.

Fatehunter, Feb 18, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours honey colored with 3+ fingers of fluffy of cream colored head. Great head retention & lacing

S: Grassy & piney, bready

T: Piney & lemony hop notes along with a touch of breadyness up front. A touch of grainyness & then grapefruit as this warms, thins out as this warms. Finishes with lemony hops & grainyness

MF: Medium bodied, creamy, body thins out a bit as it warms, alright balance

An alright IPA/Hop Harvest Ale. Wish I would've tried this a few weeks earlier when I bought , got buried by newer beers. Would try again if I could find this Mid-Fall as opposed to late Fall. Easy to drink all things considered

russpowell, Dec 20, 2011

fivetime, Feb 10, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

DerekCarruth, Dec 27, 2012

Hopmodium, Jun 06, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

22 oz bottle pours a hazed honey color with an ample cap of white head. Nice bubbly sheen and swiss-cheese lace.

Hops are almost exclusively citric, not much pine, floral or tropical here. Alcohol is a bit fusel smelling and the malts are light and honey accented. It does not smell good, smells like the ABV is 11% or so...why does it reek of rocket fuel?

Taste is much better than the aroma. A nice spectrum of fruity-citric flavoring hops to a fair amount of bittering hops is the most notable aspect. Malts stay light and biscuity. The fusel ABV in the nose is tempered greatly on the palate. The yeast seems to throw off some light fruits akin to kiwis and strawberries. Mouthfeel is fine, middle of the road. Not near as bad as I feared after smelling it. Whats up with that? I am not sure I have come across too many beers that smell as bad as this one but taste just fine. Not bad for $4...Dare I say I might buy it again?? Es possible...

twiggamortis420, Jan 29, 2012

Pugs78, May 08, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

1 pt 6 fl oz bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

(Note: I got this bottle at a heavily discounted price, and I assume the reason is this bottle is none too fresh. I can't tell how old it is though as there's not a bottled on or drink by date).

A - Pours a cloudy orange color with 2 fingers of off white, decently creamy head. Retention is poor, though the head leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Orange, lemon grass, a fair dose of caramel and crystal malts, candy, and an odd dose of cream. It's surprisingly mild, but seems well balanced.

T - The hops dominate, as expected, and are just a bit overbearing. The crystal malt isn't as strong as the nose predicted, throwing the balance off. Lemon, orange, and tropical fruit notes throughout, though they're subdued. Standard fare, I'd say.

M - Light bodied and a bit watery. It's carbonated well, though.

D - It's a pretty standard IPA, though I think my bottle is suffering from freshness issues (and will not be reflected in the review).

blakelive784, Feb 15, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Chill hazed amber colored ale with a small white colored head.

Smells herbal with a strong green hop smell. Fruity apple smell. English style hops possibly Kent.

Starts out dry and fruity with a cherries and pears taste. Very dry and herbal, not much sweetness here. Woody and bitter without any citrus flavors.

Mouthfeel is average.

Overall an OK beer but I have had better.

Zorro, Dec 17, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured in to a belgian tulip glass - hazy golden color - a hint of hop green?

Lacing is straight down the glass post sip.

Wow - a huge perfume hit on the nose - fresh floral hop cone - not sure of the variety, but it is Bridgeport through and through. So floral, perfumey....fresh cut grass.

Nice, hashly hopped entry. Tea, honey, grass, grapefruit - so complex. Flavor is not overly pleasing to me, but I love the complexity of flavor and the craft of this fresh hop ale.

Lip smacking dry finish. Like sucking on a hop crusted lemon.

An ode to a unique varietal hop - and so well done on that. This is not IPA - it is fresh hop ale! We need a new category folks - fresh (wet) hop ales are not IPA!

sweethome, Dec 11, 2011

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 05, 2013
1.78/5  rDev -48.9%

22 oz from the N.Salem Freddys. $5.25
typical orange coloured IPA,slightly hazy..large thick creamy white heid
Strange chemical/alc aromas..candied sugar and some spice..strange and not good
Taste is also bad..semi sour sweet barely any hop..this is awful
Mouthfeel i suppose is OK but this is disasterous
Terrible terrible stuff from Bridgeport.
I hope this was a bad bottle but it really didnt seems so..just an awful beer

Reidrover, Oct 19, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +17.2%

22oz bottle poured in Dogfish Head tulip pint.

A- Poured 1 finger head that stuck around for a while leaving very little lacing. Body is hazy orange.

S- Smell is very nice. Interesting hop profile here. BIG citrusy hops and I am getting a big sweet lemon smell. My first though was lemonheads. Like it a lot.

T- Big bitter citrus hops. Tons of lemon here. Nice sweet malt balances this somewhat, but this is a hop forward beer. Nice.

M- Mouthfeel has a nice medium body. Carbonation creates a nice creamy mouthfeel.

O- I am surprised how much I like this beer. Bridgeport did a really nice job with this one. I am glad I got to try it. I realize this is a fresh hop beer and it is not exactly fresh now, but it has held up really nice. I will seek this out next fall for sure.

bstave, Feb 21, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

The harvest is upon us! "From field to Brew in one hour"

22 bomber poured into a pint glass

A-Pretty, very light, semi clouded. Orange golden, well carbonated. Welcoming frothy one finger head. Carbonation delightfully visible through the cloudiness.

S- Smells of green fresh oily hop flowers. Tiny bit of lemon citrus coming through

T- Not much of a finish here.

M- Flat. Flatter than I would have ever expected with the pour that I witnessed. Bit of oiliness.

O- I had bigger expectations from this brew (maybe because I *wanted* to??). I feel Bridgeport has been rather conservative with their brews lately. It is what it is I suppose. Id pass on this bottle.

coastiefish, Sep 28, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium golden color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Mild grapefruit hops are mostly unaccompanied in the clean smell. A faint bready quality gains footing once the beer warms in the glass a bit.

T: Begins dry, with neutral pale malt and herbaceous hop aromatics of moderate intensity. Acidity is fairly aggressive into the middle; carbonic. Malt becomes more bready as acidity recedes, with aromatic hops gaining their second wind in the form of a dynamic floral display. Bitterness in the finish is moderate intensity and long-lasting in duration. It packs a late punch thanks to the endearing floral qualities, making a case for memorability.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, moist and balanced on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This beer is everything that the label advertised, presenting a respectable pale ale with just enough interesting hop character to warrant the wet hop pedigree. It is the late hop flavors that shine brightest here, presenting some of the most honest floral qualities recently encountered. It also has some house Bridgeport flavor in it that reminds of earlier times when Bridgeport IPA was the only IPA available worth drinking.

beagle75, Dec 02, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a nice cloudy, medium orange with a one finger light tan head. Fades down a bit and leaves good lacing on the glass.

S - Mild citrus, malts, and some wheat.

T - An interesting earthy citrus with some pine in the background.

D - Good carbonation and average body.

O - Interesting flavors, not sure how to place it or how I really feel about it.

HuskyinPDX, Sep 20, 2011

NeutroMan, Oct 21, 2012

bghozali, Nov 12, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Zbeetleman, Jul 06, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Good carbonation, small head, very floral and citrus. Some nutty undertones to me, but thinking back I may have been eating some nuts when I drank the beer. I really need to work on not eating foods that don't compliment the beer. I think just like wine you need to know what beers go with what foods and I haven't spent the time I need to learn this trick, thank goodness for BA. I love IPAs and I think Bridgeport is the best Pacific Northwest Brewer when it comes to an Ale.

BaileysBrews, Jun 02, 2012