Hop Harvest Ale (2011) - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

to view more.
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by beagle75:
3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium golden color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Mild grapefruit hops are mostly unaccompanied in the clean smell. A faint bready quality gains footing once the beer warms in the glass a bit.

T: Begins dry, with neutral pale malt and herbaceous hop aromatics of moderate intensity. Acidity is fairly aggressive into the middle; carbonic. Malt becomes more bready as acidity recedes, with aromatic hops gaining their second wind in the form of a dynamic floral display. Bitterness in the finish is moderate intensity and long-lasting in duration. It packs a late punch thanks to the endearing floral qualities, making a case for memorability.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, moist and balanced on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This beer is everything that the label advertised, presenting a respectable pale ale with just enough interesting hop character to warrant the wet hop pedigree. It is the late hop flavors that shine brightest here, presenting some of the most honest floral qualities recently encountered. It also has some house Bridgeport flavor in it that reminds of earlier times when Bridgeport IPA was the only IPA available worth drinking.

4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

I really love this brewery but they can make some bad beers just like every other brewery. It is not a knock on them.

This beer has a very good beer. It has a very golden amber look to the beer.

Smell the hops. I really love this smell

Taste and mouthful is awesome. It is not over bearing like every other IPA or Pale ale out there. This is very balance.

Overall I have to say this is a beer I would love to drink 4 pints. That's my rule if the beer is good. Check this one out! Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Thin whitish head, hazy light amber.

Nose is subtle, some apple, nutty hops.

Hops at the front, then a wash of nut, then leaves at the finish. Neat, not super bitter. I guess this is 'dripping-wet-hop'! A bit steely, but in a hoppy way.

Feel is pretty smooth, slightly frothy.

It's a pretty good IPA-- I can't say I've had anything hopped this fresh.

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden hue with a huge, frothy head that has great retention and wonderful lacing

S: A bit subdued but pleasant lemon and grapefruit from the hops mingling nicely with a grainy malt bill; I wish it was more pronounced but this smells pretty good

T: A surprising pungent bitterness and even boozy elements but then the slightly sweet malts and citrus flavors balance things out and in the end it finishes well

F: Fairly sticky and oily medium body

O: A decent hoppy brew that comes close to real good thing but in the end is just a nice beer

3.04/5  rDev -12.6%

I just bought this bottle so I hope it's a 2011 because there is not a date on the label.

Poured into a tulip glass. Cloudy orange color with a half-finger of head, short retention but good lacing.

It has a musty smell, not very appealing. It has the faintest lemon smell.

The taste is nice and clean. Moderately bitter and hoppy throughout. No other real flavors coming through. It's nice all the same.

Crisp texture. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied.

A straight up IPA. The smell was off, hopefully it's not widespread.

3.31/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours honey colored with 3+ fingers of fluffy of cream colored head. Great head retention & lacing

S: Grassy & piney, bready

T: Piney & lemony hop notes along with a touch of breadyness up front. A touch of grainyness & then grapefruit as this warms, thins out as this warms. Finishes with lemony hops & grainyness

MF: Medium bodied, creamy, body thins out a bit as it warms, alright balance

An alright IPA/Hop Harvest Ale. Wish I would've tried this a few weeks earlier when I bought , got buried by newer beers. Would try again if I could find this Mid-Fall as opposed to late Fall. Easy to drink all things considered

3.19/5  rDev -8.3%

22 oz bottle pours a hazed honey color with an ample cap of white head. Nice bubbly sheen and swiss-cheese lace.

Hops are almost exclusively citric, not much pine, floral or tropical here. Alcohol is a bit fusel smelling and the malts are light and honey accented. It does not smell good, smells like the ABV is 11% or so...why does it reek of rocket fuel?

Taste is much better than the aroma. A nice spectrum of fruity-citric flavoring hops to a fair amount of bittering hops is the most notable aspect. Malts stay light and biscuity. The fusel ABV in the nose is tempered greatly on the palate. The yeast seems to throw off some light fruits akin to kiwis and strawberries. Mouthfeel is fine, middle of the road. Not near as bad as I feared after smelling it. Whats up with that? I am not sure I have come across too many beers that smell as bad as this one but taste just fine. Not bad for $4...Dare I say I might buy it again?? Es possible...

3.17/5  rDev -8.9%

1 pt 6 fl oz bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

(Note: I got this bottle at a heavily discounted price, and I assume the reason is this bottle is none too fresh. I can't tell how old it is though as there's not a bottled on or drink by date).

A - Pours a cloudy orange color with 2 fingers of off white, decently creamy head. Retention is poor, though the head leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Orange, lemon grass, a fair dose of caramel and crystal malts, candy, and an odd dose of cream. It's surprisingly mild, but seems well balanced.

T - The hops dominate, as expected, and are just a bit overbearing. The crystal malt isn't as strong as the nose predicted, throwing the balance off. Lemon, orange, and tropical fruit notes throughout, though they're subdued. Standard fare, I'd say.

M - Light bodied and a bit watery. It's carbonated well, though.

D - It's a pretty standard IPA, though I think my bottle is suffering from freshness issues (and will not be reflected in the review).

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Chill hazed amber colored ale with a small white colored head.

Smells herbal with a strong green hop smell. Fruity apple smell. English style hops possibly Kent.

Starts out dry and fruity with a cherries and pears taste. Very dry and herbal, not much sweetness here. Woody and bitter without any citrus flavors.

Mouthfeel is average.

Overall an OK beer but I have had better.

3.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured in to a belgian tulip glass - hazy golden color - a hint of hop green?

Lacing is straight down the glass post sip.

Wow - a huge perfume hit on the nose - fresh floral hop cone - not sure of the variety, but it is Bridgeport through and through. So floral, perfumey....fresh cut grass.

Nice, hashly hopped entry. Tea, honey, grass, grapefruit - so complex. Flavor is not overly pleasing to me, but I love the complexity of flavor and the craft of this fresh hop ale.

Lip smacking dry finish. Like sucking on a hop crusted lemon.

An ode to a unique varietal hop - and so well done on that. This is not IPA - it is fresh hop ale! We need a new category folks - fresh (wet) hop ales are not IPA!

1.79/5  rDev -48.6%

22 oz from the N.Salem Freddys. $5.25
typical orange coloured IPA,slightly hazy..large thick creamy white heid
Strange chemical/alc aromas..candied sugar and some spice..strange and not good
Taste is also bad..semi sour sweet barely any hop..this is awful
Mouthfeel i suppose is OK but this is disasterous
Terrible terrible stuff from Bridgeport.
I hope this was a bad bottle but it really didnt seems so..just an awful beer

4.09/5  rDev +17.5%

22oz bottle poured in Dogfish Head tulip pint.

A- Poured 1 finger head that stuck around for a while leaving very little lacing. Body is hazy orange.

S- Smell is very nice. Interesting hop profile here. BIG citrusy hops and I am getting a big sweet lemon smell. My first though was lemonheads. Like it a lot.

T- Big bitter citrus hops. Tons of lemon here. Nice sweet malt balances this somewhat, but this is a hop forward beer. Nice.

M- Mouthfeel has a nice medium body. Carbonation creates a nice creamy mouthfeel.

O- I am surprised how much I like this beer. Bridgeport did a really nice job with this one. I am glad I got to try it. I realize this is a fresh hop beer and it is not exactly fresh now, but it has held up really nice. I will seek this out next fall for sure.

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

The harvest is upon us! "From field to Brew in one hour"

22 bomber poured into a pint glass

A-Pretty, very light, semi clouded. Orange golden, well carbonated. Welcoming frothy one finger head. Carbonation delightfully visible through the cloudiness.

S- Smells of green fresh oily hop flowers. Tiny bit of lemon citrus coming through

T- Not much of a finish here.

M- Flat. Flatter than I would have ever expected with the pour that I witnessed. Bit of oiliness.

O- I had bigger expectations from this brew (maybe because I *wanted* to??). I feel Bridgeport has been rather conservative with their brews lately. It is what it is I suppose. Id pass on this bottle.

3.52/5  rDev +1.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a nice cloudy, medium orange with a one finger light tan head. Fades down a bit and leaves good lacing on the glass.

S - Mild citrus, malts, and some wheat.

T - An interesting earthy citrus with some pine in the background.

D - Good carbonation and average body.

O - Interesting flavors, not sure how to place it or how I really feel about it.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Good carbonation, small head, very floral and citrus. Some nutty undertones to me, but thinking back I may have been eating some nuts when I drank the beer. I really need to work on not eating foods that don't compliment the beer. I think just like wine you need to know what beers go with what foods and I haven't spent the time I need to learn this trick, thank goodness for BA. I love IPAs and I think Bridgeport is the best Pacific Northwest Brewer when it comes to an Ale.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Clouded, slightly rusty orange color. Decent head, mild lacing.

S-Smell is a little weak compared to my expectations, but I can smell the fresh hops.

T-I would have liked a bigger finish -- something that kicks -- this is pretty mild and dissipates quickly.

M-Not bad, sort of like a lot of random beers I've tried on tap in different places. Nothing outstanding, but not bad by any means.

Overall: I agree with the previous reviewers that said it doesn't really seem like an imperial IPA, but my bottle wasn't weird or chemically -- just tasted like a basic IPA.

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a amber color with a one finger head that disapates.

S- Nice floral hop aromas, pine, citrus,

T-Very little malt, citrus , tropical fruits, pine, and mango

M-Watery slippery mouthfeel with little carbonation and almost no bitterness.

O- A decent beer very drinkable. My first beer from Bridgeport. I wasn't sure if this was the 2011 Hop Harvest or 2012? I guess it just means it made using hops from 2011 and not bottled in 2011.

3.97/5  rDev +14.1%

I'm a little surprised that the reviews are so low for this beer- it's a fresh hopped ale, it's not supposed to taste like a typical IPA! Fresh hopped ales almost always are softer and have more herbal and floral notes than one with dried hops or pellets. I've also found that many fresh hopped ales have a waxy note, reminiscent of that found in many Junmai Sakes, and this one certainly exhibits those characteristics. Soft and with clean, honeyed malt and nicely herbal, floral, and waxy notes, both in the aroma and flavor. A bit of bitter citrus helps balance things nicely. A quite nice harvest ale.

3.46/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a glass. From notes. Reviewed 20 January 2011.

A: Slight head. Hazy, light gold.

S: Metallic-smelling hops. Sweetish malt?

T/M: Acceptable. Well-balanced, carbonated, mild hops, and largely sweet-round malt. Slight citrus.

O: Not particularly my thing. Drinkable, but not compelling. Maybe I needed it even fresher?

2.7/5  rDev -22.4%

Not the hop bomb that I expected.

22 oz. bottle poured into a chilled glass. Light amber color with a thin enough head that I did not have to pour down the side of the glass to prevent foam over.

Smell is sweet with a hint of hoppy goodness.

Taste is a disappointing sweet flavor that is a far cry from the hoppy goodness I expected from the name.

Mouthfeel is smooth but lacking carbonation.

Overall a slightly below average beer.

3.79/5  rDev +8.9%

Dirty, hazy lemon gold pour. No head, no retention, and no lace.

Mead nose. Sweet floral hops with a touch of honey.

Raw grainy flavor. Sweet honey kicks in as in the nose. Light alcohol and hop burn in the finish. Medium oil and resin from the floral hops.

Thin body. Hops seemed to be felt as much as taste, with a nasal character that kicks in.

Good enough.

3.29/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a 2-finger fluffy, dense white head. Reduces to a ring leaving sticky lace at the top of the glass.

The nose's hoppiness is rather subdued- very flowery with white flowers, citrus blossoms, faint orange juice, straw and faint hop oils. The malt is bready while there's also some faint apricot tones.

The medium bodied palate has some nice textures but, like the nose, the flavors are really thin and hard to find. There's a moderate sweetness atop the bready malt and touch of hoppy slickness, while the bitterness hits big and instantly and lingers for a long time on the resinous finish- the thin flavors of indiscriminate citrus, flowers and hay lead to a bit of pineyness.

It's such a shame. Has the textures of a nice wet-hop ale with a pleasant crispness, but where are the flavors? I know that fresh herbs are way less pungent than in dried form, and maybe that's where they went wrong. Judging from the fact that 5 cases of this showed up at the store where I bought it as opposed to the 1 case of SN Harvest, I'm thinking that they stretched their hops a little thinner in an effort to produce more beer. Grave mistake.

Oh well, I'm not too upset tonight. At least the Cards won the World Series, bitches...

A: Poured a glowing oragne color, a little cloudy with a small white cap

S: A bit of peach and apricot on the nose with some citrus hops

T: Has a definite wheat presence, perhaps some bread and light caramel too. Has a pronounced fruity presence with apricot, some citrus, and a little peach too. Not much on hop bite here but plenty of taste

M: Medium body, balanced, tasty

O: Easy to drink and would drink if I saw this draft somewhere

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a SA perfect pint.

Pours a bright, glowing, cloudy orange with a smallish white head. Head recedes quickly and only leaves some faint lacing. Nose is a bit underwhelming, grains and hops, nothing out of the ordinary. Taste is grassy and citrusy hops with a nice grainy backbone and some spicyness in the finish. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would have expected, it's honestly not really a bad thing. Overall a subtle and nicely balanced IPA; however, I expect a little more from a beer that boasts "from field to brew in one hour", so I felt it was a bit lacking.

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

22oz bottle poured into a large stein

Pours clearish coppery yellow, big thick tan head, small amount of active carbonation. Lace builds up nicely. Smell is mildly hoppy, not super aromatic.

Taste is pretty well represented by the smell. Mildly hoppy, pretty sweet. The bottle says "imperial style", but I'm not sure what style they think they've imperialized. To me, it's a pretty good hoppy pale, or a slightly under hopped American IPA.

Mouthfeel is dry, slightly oily. Overall, it's pretty OK.

to view more.