Witch Hunt Spiced Harvest Ale - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Docer on 08-15-2012)
4.64/5  rDev +41%

patk_21, Yesterday at 04:49 PM
4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

MisterWatt, Nov 01, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

ScorpyX, Dec 27, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Look: A hazy, almost unfiltered burnt amber, slight mahogany hue. Foamy cream colored head that recedes to chunky groups of bubbles. Pretty good lacing coats the glass.

Aroma: Bitter hops give way to spices -- cinnamon and nutmeg mostly.

Taste: Before you can really wade into it, a bitter hop note coats the taste buds. After that, the beer softens up a bit with a warmer cinnamon and nutmeg spice profile. There's also a faint malt undertone giving more balance toward the end.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and dry.

Overall, I'd like this more in October than September, because it really feels like a pumpkin type of brew, but I think it's really good. It's got a nice warm spicy bite to it.

JuicesFlowing, Sep 16, 2012

bathtubeer, Feb 13, 2013

bholby87, Aug 20, 2013

OldTime, Oct 29, 2012

Kenzie, May 17, 2013

jdwilliamson79, Sep 30, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
5.8% ABV, no date.

A - Like a crisp autumn afternoon, the beer pours a clear burnt sienna color with a towering plume of light beige foam. Gnarled branches of lace wrap around the glass creating a picturesque scene to behold.

S - Witch Hunt, contrary to, say, witch capture, does not smell like smoke or burning flesh. Instead, this Halloween-themed beer suggests a familiar aroma from this time of year; pumpkin brew! With it's spiced aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon this brown ale is smooth and simply malted with sweet Munich and caramel with crisp Vienna toast finish. No hops can be found here but the beer does end on an oddly sterile note.

T - The cauldron of flavor melds together nicely as the sweet malt features layers of caramel, bread, toast, and tootsie rolls counteracted by nutmeg and cinnamon spice. Earthy hops which steer clear of the nose insert faint wood and dried leaf characteristics on the finish.

M - From start to finish Witch Hunt is smooth like a broom ride without turbulence. Sweet malt lingers on the tongue but not without some balance. While void of bitterness a dry, spiced finish cuts the sweetness down a notch.

O - I wonder if the brewers cast a spell on this beer as they boiled the wort; a spell of deliciousness! Suggestions of the season's pumpkin-brewed beers enter the mind, but the beer doesn't feel incomplete. Instead, the spice nicely plays off the sweet malt for a drinkable harvest ale that stands out from the crowd without being green. Or burned at the stake.

BeerFMAndy, Oct 30, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours nice looks good from the growler... smells of various spices slightly sweet on the nose. Taste has the same spices, cinnamon, nutmeg tastes pretty good. Reminds me of a pumpkin beer but there doesn't really seem to be much if any pumpkin. I like this beer would drink again for sure... Leaves a little bit of that cinnamon dryness on the mouthfeel after the swallow.

alk3kenny, Sep 13, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present. I did enjoy a number of these last autumn when the Halloween fever was on me, and the beer was probably fresh, but I found more of this on the mix a six pack shelf at the local beer store, so I grabbed one to review.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - An overly aggressive pour on my behalf yields about three fingers of doughy fluffy tan head on top of a beautiful bright blood orange colored body; almost verging on chestnut. Scattered, fluffy lacing.

S - Smell is of sweet green apple skins, and some caramelized malt presence. Some cola-like carbonation & aroma drifting out of this one also. Perhaps some faded spice cabinet smell, but it is unclear what kind of smell it is. No cinnamon or nutmeg detectable.

T - Again, more sweet caramel malts, green apple skin sweetness, and faded hops. No real cinnamon or nutmeg flavor that I am able to detect. Faint metallic / coppery aftertaste. A light, balanced, easy-drinking bodied beer. Not so much a spiced ale, as it is a tame, lightly hopped red ale, or a brown ale as it is listed on BeerAdvocate. Highly enjoyable and palatable, nonetheless.

M - Feel is fruity, sugary, sticky, sweet, with a dry finish.

Overall, this is a beer I really enjoy. Although, it is definitely more malt-forward and hoppy than it is a cinnamon & nutmeg spiced beer. Still, of the four beers I have had from Bridgeport so far, they have all impressed me, and I am looking forward to many more. And the Bridgeport Witch Hunt will definitely be a Halloween mainstay in my fridge.

Bridgeport Witch Hunt Spiced Harvest Ale ---4/5.

mfnmbvp, Apr 25, 2013

12oz : tulip

Pours clear amber red/brown with a foamy, off white head.

Light floral/grassy hoppiness backed by caramel malt and very faint spice.

More floral hops blend nicely into caramel malt and a light spice finish.

Medium body, fizzy, average carbonation.

Probably one of my favorite beers I have tried from Bridgeport in a long time. Starts hoppy, but well balanced overall. Definitely something I will enjoy having a 6-pack of.

vkv822, Aug 31, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

Just wanted to post a quick review and a few impressions about this beer. I spotted this 6-pack and the Hawthorne St. Fred Meyers in PDX. I'm not a huge fan of Bridgeport but something about this one caught my eyes. I'm also not usually the biggest fan of spiced beers. A lot of times I feel like the spices can really dominate the flavor, which can be nice at times, but not something I'd want to drink most days. Witch Hunt says it's spiced, but I suspect they used very minimal amounts of spice. You can certainly taste the spices, but mostly in the finish. I really like this. I feel like Witch Hunt has struck a really nice balance, having the spices take the back seat to a pretty good ale. Here's a quick review.

A> Witch Hunt pours a burnt straw color with hints of gold and red. It's very clear, I guess this one doesn't do a second fermentation in the bottle like some Bridgeport brews. The beer had a small head but decent retention both on the top surface and the glass. It's a decent looking brew, but nothing really stands out.

S> What smell? The aroma of this beer is pretty subdued. I was able to smell the faintest whiffs of malts, spice, and hop but only after trying pretty hard. I can't rate this too low, because it doesn't smell offensive like some beers. Let's just say the aroma is a bit underwhelming.

T> Okay, this is the highlight of Witch Hunt for me. I just really dig the flavor of this beer. The malt has hints of sweet caramel but also seems a little sour like a stout. The hops are a little cheesy but somehow work perfectly with the slightly sour malt. The spices come through on the finish and instead of dominating the flavor profile they just meld with everything. I really like the slight hint of nutmeg that Witch Hunt finishes with. This beer is just flat out tasty but also complex. Just writing about makes me want to crack open another one.

M> Good mouth feel. Fairly carbonated, but it works and keeps all the flavors lively. Smooth but not thin in any way. Really enjoyable although it does finish a bit on the dry side.

O> Witch Hunt really impressed me. I usually don't like Bridgeport beers. I usually don't like spiced beers. Yet somehow I'm really enjoying Witch Hunt - it's a delicious beer with nice complexity and I'd say give it a shot. This is a wonderful beer to transition into the darker and more complex beers that the winter brings and I'm very happy I bought this 6'er on a whim.

alexrichman, Sep 28, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Pours a deep, dark amber with a thick tan head. Really nice looking beer

S - Roasted malts, honey, maybe some apples

T - Roasted, but sweet malts with a bit of nutmeg, flowing into herby bitter hops and sour apples that linger on the tongue. Bottles says there's cinnamon flavours as well, but I'm not really picking up on that one.

M - Smooth, lightly bubbly

O - Nice autumn beer, with the roast and caramel flavours, apples, and spices. I feel like it pretty decently embodies the name of spiced harvest ale. I wish the spices came through a bit better, and maybe the sourness toned down a bit. But overall I enjoyed it.

freneticamnesic, Oct 31, 2013