Kentucky Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky AleKentucky Ale

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 08-19-2001

Our Master Brewers describe Kentucky Ale as a marriage between two classic beer styles, Irish Red Ale and English Pale Ale. Light amber in color, Kentucky Ale owes its unique body and character to select imported malts and a pinch of wheat malt for a rich, smooth taste. The unique body and character of Kentucky Ale is heavily influenced by the water, drawn from aquifers in the limestone rock underlying the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky.
to view more.
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 130
3.52/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a beautiful amber to red. Clear as a bell with about a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Very little if any hop aroma. Slightly detect english hops but the overall smell is that of malt. I was surprised by how malty this thing smelled.

Taste: Balanced bitterness, even a little on the sweet side. Big malt. I also detect a slight tart which I attribute to the calcium content of the water. Again, not what I was expecting.

Mouth: Smooth and silky with a clean finish.

Overall: I didn't rate this beer very high for the sole reason that it is billed as a blend of English Pale and Irish Red. It doesn't fit either style very well. However, it is still a very enjoyable ale that I would buy again.

4.08/5  rDev +23.3%

This beer is a little more complex than it would appear. It is rich and smooth. It is not hoppy per the current American fashion.

4.01/5  rDev +21.1%

This is a very nice Ale. It's smooth and easy to drink. Very nice flavor, though not totally unique, very enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Refreshing beer, tastes more like a standard lager to me. Hints of ale flavor creep into the finish.

3.13/5  rDev -5.4%

Reminds me a lot of Miller - corn based and not a lot to it. I will not drink again.

3.14/5  rDev -5.1%

I wasn't keen on this ale upon drinking the first bottle. However, I have finally decided this is an okay brew. There's not a lot of carbonation, the head starts out at about half an inch and quickly dissipates to a thin white peel. This is not an offensive drink, nor is it world class. But if you just want to enjoy a nice ale blend, then this might work for you. I'll buy it again on occasion.

3.37/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit weak, some light malts. Taste is well balanced. Hops and a mild bitterness up front, malts at the finish, some hints of caramel. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a refreshing and easy drinking beer.

3.07/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – Amber leaning towards red
Aroma – Light aroma that’s malty sweet with some toasty character.
Taste – Fresh, malty, toasty – very similar to an Irish red ale but lighter. Next to no bitterness
Finish – Clean with a slight malty aftertaste. Still no bitterness in the end.

2.72/5  rDev -17.8%

I poured this average looking labeled beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a orangey amber looking concoction tat looked a little on the cloudy side. The head was tan and decent. The beer smelled pretty good like sweet rolls. However the taste was ciderish, much like the crap I made with the Mr. Beer kit. I will not buy again,yuk!

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Apperance - A warm amber color that is very nice

Smell- Next to no smell, actually leaves you wondering what the flavor will be

Taste - A fresh taste, that is pretty refreshing

Mouthfeel - Decent carbonation

Overall - A pretty decent early summer beer.

3.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours out a light amber with a fleeting head that gives way to decent enough lacing.

S - Carmel and malts with some hop background.

T - Good malt flavor with a nice balanced hop follow on.

M - Very good with a nice carbonation level and a good finish.

O - For the style advertised this is a nice choice. Maybe I'm biased living so close to the brewer but I think I'd like this if it came from 1000 miles away.

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 355 ml. bottle. Sampled on April 3, 2014.

This has a nice looking light to medium amber pour, more bronze, with a modest and short-lasting white head. Good clarity.

Roasted caramel malts are immediate on the nose along with a a slight but earthy hop presence. Not a vibrant hop presence but enough to pick up something.

Light to medium body. But a bit of astringency.

Like the nose, I get a good caramel malt character in the flavor which stands strong for a moment as the earthy, clean hop finish kicks in. I found it be drinkable and likable.

3.04/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Hazy deep copper-colored body, with a small, somewhat coarse head, which persists fairly well. The lacing is thick and patchy, covering much of the glass wall. Carbonation is rather minimal.

Aroma: Mild toasted malt, some caramel, and restrained grassy hops comprise the aroma.

Taste: Opens with slight toasted malts and a fair portion of earthy English hops. As the taste progresses, there is a little caramel as well, although the hops dominate throughout. Finishes with a moderate burst of caramel and a lingering hop presence.

Mouth feel: Soft, fairly full, with modestly sharp carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Though described as "a marriage of English Pale Ale and Irish Red Ale", Kentucky Ale seems more restrained than either of these. Its not bad, merely unremarkable.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.2/5  rDev -3.3%

Described a cross between and English Pale and an Irish Red. For me I really taste the Irish Red. It is a little too light for me with not a great body. There is almost no after taste to enjoy. A buddy of mine picked some up at a world market in Cleveland, TN. If I were in a Kentucky city for a stopover I might enjoy a few cold ones and then move onto something else.

2.98/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, purchased near brewery earlier this month, and served in a lager glass.

Clear, medium amber. Has an average size head with average retention, but both the visible carbonation and the feel suggest a rather high carbonation level.
Floral/earthy, modestly hoppy aroma is marred by a metallic tone and suggests a beer that is more bitter than this one. Actually, this has a decent sweet/bitter balance, albeit a bit sweet up front and bitter in the finish.
Medium body; crisp with a rather dry finish.

O: disappointing on counts of both aroma quality and weak flavor. A decent but not particularly attractive brew.

2.08/5  rDev -37.2%

I live in Louisville. I would like very much to see this one do well. But, watery,
unbalanced, messy mix of flavors....just far no joy in the anticipation
of opening a daily pour. I have the feeling that the aim was to introduce the Budweisier drinker to a micro brew. That's the kiss of death for me. I'm always on the lookout for a beer with a frugal price. Back to trader joe for old standby's. If I'm going to drink ale Fat Weasel is much better. I'm surprised that Ky Ale gets better marks than FW.

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12FL.OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - This beer ranges from amber in the center of the glass to gold on the edges. A perfect pour gave me three inches of beige head the was even with the top of the glass. There are so many bubbles rising from the nucleation sites that the head actually rose above the top of the glass after a couple minutes.

S - In the aroma I smell some caramel, bread, and some floral accents. I even get some hints of vanilla.

T - As far as the taste goes I get some toasted malt with a dry finish. It kind of reminds me of rye.

M - Medium leaning towards full. I get a grainy feel on my tongue.

O - It pairs well with watching Justified.

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second product from Alltech. Love the Aged Bourbon version and thought I would give this a try.
Bottle into a Sam Adams glass.
Good amber color with a short golden head that lasted a bit.
Smelled very average, much like an adjunct lager with a little sweetness.
Taste was more on par with a Octoberfest Marzen beer than the Ammerican Ale flavor I expected.
More malty than an ale and a very moderate bite, with hints of Bourbon, much like their cask aged version.
I liked it, but not sure I would repeat it.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Kentucky Ale is a hybrid ale between Pale Ale and Irish Red. The color is near half and half as red and pale create orange. The head was creamy but weak.

The scent goes towards both with weak hops and burnt malts. Tinges of barley and malt hold the nose but get lost quickly.

Again, the hybrid nature of this ale continues in taste. Burnt malts with light malt/hop flavor are unfortunately lost in a watery taste and feel.

I'm a huge fan of this ale for the price but also I'm a bit of a homer.

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Wait, there's no barrel here? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear sunset brass topped by a half-finger of off-cream foam. The nose comprises mild honey, milder biscuit, light apple, and a vague smattering of flowers. It's light and simple, but fairly pleasant regardless. The taste brings in more of the same, with that pesky apple character playing a larger role. It's this apple-ness that really detracts from the positives a bit too much for my tastes. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a generally fluid feel. Overall, a nice little English-esque brew, one I could see being a mild-ish staple if I found myself in Kentucky, but that damn apple character doesn't endear the beer to me all that much.

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Brown, red tints, completely translucent. Thin solid head.

S - yeast, bread

T - hints of a more complex ale, not strong, but subtle hints to that aged dubbels have. Somewhat dry, cheap american pale ale finish.

M - balanced carbonation, not an overwhelming mouthfeel

Overall, a great, cheap session beer! (I live in Kentucky, might be cheaper for me than most)

3.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this on 2013-01-21 in Columbia, PA

A - Yellow-amber with a huge 3.5-finger pillowy head that sticks around. Not a great pour as there wasn't much room left in the glass for the liquid.

S - Fresh-cut sweet and tart apple, mild yeast and a touch of grain.

T - Toasted white bread, nut, apple, touch of caramel. Mildly bitter with a little hop spice.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. Smooth.

O - Decent, not great.

3.46/5  rDev +4.5%

A: The beer is relatively clear yellowish amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high dense off white head that died down a bit and consistently left a thin head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of caramel and toasted malts in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, but the flavors are a little more pronounced and have initial hints of sweetness and notes of mineral water and hints of bitterness towards the finish.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and has a nice smooth mouthfeel, although the taste seems a little bland.

3.42/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle, pours amber with a thin off-white head that leaves little lacing on the glass. Aromas are sweet and malty with toasted grain and caramel dominating the nose, slightly earthy. Tastes match the aroma with more malty sweetness, toasted grain, bready, prickly, earthy, modest piny hop bite on the end. Feel is thin-medium and creamy. Overall, not too bad. I get the Irish Red, I get the EPA, but nothing ground shaking here. Well put together for what it is though. Not sure that I'd buy it again.

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%

I might like this beer more if it didn't remind me of Magic Hat #9 on so many levels. But prejudice aside, it's smooth. Flavor profile is consistent. It's smooth. Perhaps I have cracked the secret recipe of the #9. Anyways. This is an easy drinking beer. Interesting mix of styles.

to view more.
Kentucky Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.