Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 574 | Hads: 2,621
3.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-really shitty head...
- has a light whiskey scent the wood really overpowers
- taste as a English ale with a lot of oak and whiskey notes a slight skunk
-ok feel thicker
- ok beer not my style for sure, they hit alot of notes i think they were aiming for but it wasn't a enjoyable drink for me...

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale brewed by, Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. This ale has an ABV of 8.19% The ale pours out a nice deep amber color with a nice smell off white head. You smell rich bourbon, grains and malts in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste , it is full of flavor, with grains and malts. You get a nice bourbon, taste in this brew. There is a lot going on this brew, but it has a nice balance to it. Nothing overpowering in this brew. Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co., did a nice job with this one. The mouthfeel is full bodied , smooth and rich. You really don't pick up on 8.19% ABV in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours pale amber in color, crystal clear. First scents at a distance bring sweet oaky vanilla certainly reminding me of bourbon, then comes the hops and caramel malts. The taste is well balanced and brings the drinker just the right amount of oaky bourbon flavors to balance the malt profile. The alcohol is surprisingly not overpowering considering the subtle flavors. Finishes smooth and dry. I'm surprised this beer isn't getting higher ratings, I would definitely say that if you're drinking this one right out of the fridge you're missing out on the nice flavors and aromas. I like it.

4.84/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is my day to day beer. I get it draft from my growler. It has amazing flavor and you can drink it like water. @8.2% it has a nice punch. The whiskey barrel aging again does its magic making this my daily drinker.

3.15/5  rDev -13%

Meh. Had from a bottle, poured into a pint glass. There was very little about this that could be called distinctive other than the moderate vanilla flavor. Never tasted any bourbon or oak traits.

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

No label information. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is brewed in the style of an English Strong Ale aged in oak bourbon barrels. Available in 12 oz. bottled 4 packs and on draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a snifter glass. Served above 56 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy creamy head of an ecru-white complexion over a moderately hazy copper-amber body with moderate carbonation. Retention is below average and there is no lacing. 3.25

(Smell) The aroma is distinctively sweet and aromatic, with a light blend of pale and toffee malts forming a modest body, fairly sweet and quite clean. No notable hop characteristics, but yeast tones generate a mellow fruitiness and mild mineral quality to this beer that make it seem very English-inspired. Atop it all is the distinctive smell of mainstream bourbon, sweet and fairly clean with a touch of drying oak. The aroma is very imbalanced in favor of the sweetness this beer seems to have, but with such a simple malt base this seems to be expected. 3.5

(Taste) Toasted toffee and pale malts with a moderate sweetness and mild body are given a glazing of Bourbon, very clean sipping with light alcohol heat, and distinctive vanilla with lesser oak, lightly dry. A very simple malt base that surprisingly is able to hold up alongside the bourbon barrel treatment, although I get more Bourbon flavor in this beer than "barrel", so the complexity of the bourbon barrel aging doesn't run deep either. There certainly could manage to be a bit more malt body and flavor with no significant drawbacks, but in its current light-bodied form, it does fine by me. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is silky, lightly chewy and thinly syrupy viscosity, moderately dry. Carbonation is moderate, generating a medium frothiness and a medium carbonation. Body is medium for the style, medium+ overall. Balance is moderately sweet over boozy and oaky dry. Alcohol presence is modest and there are no off characters. 3.5

(Overall) Although sometimes a bit generic in its simplicity, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale does manage to find an approachable level of Bourbon and barrel character an integrate into a fair-bodied English ale. The Bourbon is clean and easy to drink, and the barrel notes, while modest in this beer, are enjoyable and not overpowering. Don't consider this the textbook example of what a Bourbon Barrel aged beer should be, but it's a decent starting point to see how nicely that Bourbon and beer can come together to compliment each other in a fine ale. The price point is a bit above the median for the style, even for a beer with Bourbon barrel aging, so consider a single bottle before diving into the pricier 4 pack. 3.5

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.'s
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Head was high and creamy looking but died fast.
Loved the initial aroma when I first popped it.
Taste is smooth easy and just right amount of bourbon.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Really have to have a taste for the brown liquor store enjoy these new beer plus blends. Being a fan of Innis and Gunn Rum cask aged I thought I'd try this and whiskey and scotch beer blends... Not for me.

4.57/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark Amber color, with a strong bourbon smell and taste and light after taste. Enjoyable on occasion but not an every day beer despite the lightness of its feel

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass (no snifter in my glassware collection as of yet. newb move, yes I'm aware), this brew's got a two finger finely porous off-white head that dissipates rather promptly, not too much lacing, and a medium amber transparent body.

Smells like, you've taken the correct guess, bourbon. Albeit nowhere near as profound as the real deal, this has certainly got the redeeming qualities of a finely made, true Kentucky bourbon. Take it from a guy whose entire father's side is from the state!

The taste here is exactly the same as the aroma described above. Damn tasty, folks. It is very drinkable.

Mouthfeel is lively and crisp.

Overall, a 4.5 for Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. I will purchase this beer regularly

2.39/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Amber to light brown body. I was very excited to try this but honestly I'm not impressed. Smell is pleasant with hints of whiskey and caramel. Taste is surprisingly bland; slight booziness with sweetness from the barrels but other than that, not a huge amount of flavour to speak of; largely malt forward with no hop flavour but there's really not much there from the malt either. A distinct lack of complexity one would hope from a beer like this. Maybe some vanilla, or am I trying to hard to find it? As a sidenote it calls itself barrel aged ale but neglects to mention what kind of ale it was before being aged.

Definitely not worth the price I paid. Did I get a bad bottle? Really not a great beer.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

This was a weird beer. It was creamy on the tongue and sweeter than I would have expected. I got little hints of bourbon at first sniff, but afterwards I really only got sweet. And random side note, It was also one of the most carbonated bottles of beer I've ever had. It REALLY wanted out of that bottle.

3.09/5  rDev -14.6%

A - crystal-clear pale amber body with bubbly white head.

S - smoky bourbon musty and sugary

T - subdued bourbon and spices amidst tangy fruits. Flavors are weak and drop off fast

M - medium/light body with moderate/light carbonation.

O - not a beer I'd drink again. Weak flavors and body, not a big fan.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

A mix of my two favorite things. Beer and bourbon. You can taste the the carmel flavor from the ole barrels and it has a wonderful smooth finish which was a pleasant surprise for a bourbon barrel beer.

3.16/5  rDev -12.7%

BOTTLE: Branded pry-off pressure cap. Appealing label design. Brown glass. 12 fl oz.

Reviewed live as a bourbon barrel aged...ale? No specific style is identified on the label. 8.19% ABV. Served cold into a pilsner glass at low altitude in low altitude Austin, Texas. Expectations are above average given the brewery and the description/marketing - which makes it sound good.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2 fingers wide. Off-white colour. Okay frothiness. It's not as creamy, full, or thick as it ought to be. Should look softer as well. Retention is above average - about 3 minutes. Leaves no lacing.

BODY: Clear translucent copper of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears aptly carbonated. Doesn't look unique or special, but it's generally appealing. Has no stand-out characteristics.

AROMA: Barrel sugars, vanilla, hints of white oak, lovely charred barrel characteristics, English malt character, and marshmallow. Bourbon? I guess...but I wouldn't notice it if I tried this blind. It's got those great vanilla notes, but it never really rings distinct as bourbon per se.

No yeast character, overt alcohol, hops, or off-notes are detectable.

Aromatic intensity is mild.

A pleasant, soft aroma. I'm interested in trying it, but I did hope for more of an overt bourbon character. The base seems underwhelming and unfocused. The oak could be more evocative.

TASTE: Marshmallow, vanilla, English malts, English mild characteristics (including the beginnings of a buttery note), caramel, barrel sugars, a fleeting wisp of white oak, hints of charred wood, some toastiness, and hints of some kind of unrefined sugar - but it isn't piloncillo, brown sugar, or treacle. What's strangely missing is bourbon; I mean it has the hints of oak and it has the vanilla, but it never touches on bourbon at all for me. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Balanced? Sort of. It has a loose cohesion at best, and there are no egregious clashes of flavour, but it's by no means a gestalt whole of a build. I'm not really even sure what style this falls in...it's not even a bourbon ale - as vaguely defined as I find that descriptor - because there's not really much of a bourbon character. It does feel English in character (likely from the yeast) but never commits to toffee or anything beyond the caramel.

Has no obvious hop profile. No yeast character or off-notes come through. It does have some light alcohol warmth.

Overall, I just find it unrefined. It's fairly shallow in terms of depth of flavour. Duration and intensity of flavour are average. Adequately complex and subtle, but it's not world-class in either respect. I do like it in a general sense, but it needs honing. And it has touches of artificial flavoring throughout which bother me.

TEXTURE: Full-bodied, moderately thick, moderately weighty, smooth, wet, and unrefreshing. Slight overcarbonation.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough or scratchy.

Overall, this texture suits the taste decently, but fails to elevate the beer or to accentuate the flavour profile's constituent notes.

OVERALL: It's a drinkable brew, but never touches on the bourbon character it promises...in fact, the marketing and description are so hubristic about Kentucky and bourbon that it makes bourbon's absence more conspicuous. It's frankly rather embarrassing. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but at this price point I couldn't justify a second purchase. Seems like a cash-grab for the bourbon barrel aged niche. I like some of the English leanings, but this just never feels like a focused or deliberate brew to me, and the balance needs dialing in. Moreover, if you want to run with the big dogs in the bourbon barrel aged category (regardless of style), you've got to bring more to the table in terms of intricacy and subtlety of flavour. This is largely a let-down, and needs work. I can't see this ever becoming a world-class brew no matter how much fine-tuning they do; it'd need a whole new recipe. I guess I'm glad I tried it once, but it's not the best beer I've had from this brewery, and I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners.

The barrel char is the stand-out note.

Apparently, this is aged for "up to" 6 weeks in bourbon barrels...um, for starters 6 weeks just ain't enough. But "up to" suggests some batches (if not most) are aged in bourbon barrels for less than 6 weeks. That's a nice way to increase profits and bolster marketing potential, but it doesn't strike me as honest - or maybe honest isn't the word, because they are disclosing this info (just not on the bottles themselves). I guess the word I'm looking for is "cheap" or perhaps more appropriately "pathetic." Why not just throw it in bourbon barrels for one day? Hell, technically it'd still be "aged." I'd like to see the brewers behind this grab their balls, gain some fucking integrity, and start genuinely committing to their craft; there's clearly potential here.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look is kinda unappealing, like what I imagine bourbon tinted Budweiser would look like

Smell is pleasant: hints of Apple juice, honey, club soda, and whiskey. It doesn't smell like beer at all though...

Taste is pleasant, but lacks the malt depth of a great beer. Tastes like medium grade scotch or whiskey mixed with light beer. Good but not great.

Mouthfeel is overall pleasant. No complaints.

Overall pretty mediocre, but surprisingly good considering the price. I was expecting much worse considering the rating for this beer

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Burnt amber look with light carbonated head.

Strong bourbon smell to this one. Very light vanilla smell.

Mostly bourbon flavor, but it's not too strong, with a light smokey vanilla finish that is very pleasant.

Not too light and not to heavy, this is a good moderate beer that seams to get all over you mouth and has a good finish.

I may get another one of these and age it for some time. It seams like one of those beers that will get much better with a little aging. Will update if I do.

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

So, I've tried this beer twice now. Once before, and
once after reading through the "Beer Rating 101"
articles on Beer advocate. And I got to say, drinking
the beer right makes a difference.

I decided to listen to beer advocate's advice and drink
my beer warmer than I normally would (especially since
this beer in particular has a higher alcohol content.) I
noticed that though the sharp alcohol taste was still
there, it seemed to lessen as it became warmer and the
undertones of the grains used in the beer came through
resulting in an enhanced experience of the flavors of
the ale.

Look: 4.0 It wasn't "crystal clear". It did have some
yeast/sediment floating around in it, but nothing to
really be concerned about. I felt it gave it authenticity. The color ranged from an amber color outside of direct light (dark, but not very), to a more golden amber when
held closer to a light. I poured it kind of hard so it was a
little extra foamy than it should've been, but the head retention seemed
great. It didn't go flat and I drank it slower than I
normally would.

Smell: 3.5 Really strong Bourbon smell, with a hint of
some malts.

Taste: 4.3 As I said, the taste evolves as it warms up.
The colder it is the more the bourbon-like alcohol
taste comes out, but as it warms up a creamy smooth
wheat-like taste starts to envelope if you let it sit
on your palate. (I'm not saying the bourbon taste isn't
still there, it's just less defined when the other flavors of
the beer come out.) Definitely a must try if can handle
higher ABV beers.

feel: 4.6 A little unpleasant if it's too cold, but
gets to be a smooth, creamy-like, bubble feel once it
warms up. It really complements the taste and leaves a
nice feeling on your taste buds.... Delicious.

overall = 4.51 If you can't handle a strong beer (or
don't like the taste of bourbon) than this might not be
for you. But, if you don't fall under either of those
categories and are up to try something new, then this
is a pretty good beer to try. (Just don't drink all
four at once. ;-) haha)

P.S. Drink it warmer and slower than you normally would.

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

full review: wp.me/p5urG4-ga
The appearance of the beer was great, the carbonation bubbles that constantly flowed upward in the orange/amber hue was a delight. The head was a good thick white head with some good lacing. Unfortunately that is where the excitement for me stopped.
I didn’t even finish the beer. I barely got the bourbon aroma out of it. I couldn’t identify the initial taste, but the finish was acidic to me. The palate was watery.

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On a visit to my brothers in August, I purchased this at a Vine Grove KY convenience store (near Elizabethown). I drank half of the 4 pack at the time, and forgot to grab the other 2 when I left for the 8 hour drive home to VA. The 2 beers were still in the fridge when I returned for Christmas, and this time, made it safely home with me.

Crystal clear with a 2 finger white head from a hard pour. Bubbles of carbonation coat the inside of the glass and rise up from the base, diminishing in synchrony with the quickly shrinking head. A bright orange/copper in color. Minimal lace. Looks a bit thin to the eye.

Bourbon, vanilla and oak on the nose, combining to give the impression of dark fruits in syrup, even bananalike at times, with a bit of char. On the second glass, the vanilla/bourbon combo gave me cherry instead of banana.

Lightly sweet bourbon, vanilla and oak are even more dominant in the taste. Bitter char overcomes them all in the middle before everything mellows out in the end. Light alcohol throughout.

Moderate in body with pepper and a bit of fire yet, even after 4 1/2 months. Slightly numbing on the tongue. Nice warmth, as the fire would imply.

This beer is better for the age in my opinion. My brother described his single swallow as "stiff, but good" (he prefers Coors Light), but I agree, it seemed more harsh back in August. It's definitely more mellow now. A bit less char, and I'd have given it even higher marks.

4.46/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

An exceptional ale with a considerable oakiness and subdued vanilla note from the bourbon barrel aging but not overpowered and has a nice smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

2.74/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: [3.00] Beer is dark caramel color. Out of direct light it appears reddish. It has a scant 1/4 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin white layer. The bottle gives no ABV and no date information. This was from a friend - so I have no idea on the age.

S: [3.25] I am getting some hints of Bourbon and maltiness.

T: [2.50] Mild (almost synthetic) Bourbon flavor. There is a slightly "off" alcohol flavor to the beer.

M: [2.75] No carbonation to speak of. The mouthfeel is a bit watery.

O: [2.50] I am not a huge fan of Bourbon Barrel beers. This is no exception. This one is not very well executed (or this is a bad bottle). It is one dimensional with a rubbing alcohol like bourbon taste. It is not a drain pour - but it is not a beer I would buy (or drink again).

2.08/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Awful. A weak-flavored (although high-alcohol) light beer with strong bourbon overtones -- maybe they just made a light beer and then poured in the bourbon?

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Could be the best beer deal ever - I picked up a growler of this for $4.99 at Wine and Beyond in Sherwood Park. This ale poured nicely with a reasonable amount of head that disappeared fairly quickly (not surprising for a draft growler that has been sitting for a couple of days.) The bourbon flavour is just enough to give this ale a very unique and pleasant taste. It has a decent amount of kick and goes down very nicely. The combination of great taste and killer deal make this a highlight reel brew.

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

Golden with a fairly decent head but virtually no lacing from the mostly white foam. Nose was mostly bourbon, not much else peeking through. Tasted pretty nice for a short moment as the hints of vanilla, oak and caramel came across for just the tiniest instant before they dropped out, leaving only a thin remnant of tannins.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.