Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
3.51/5  rDev -4.4%

A-nice dark amber. Thin cream colored head.

S-sweet syrupy alcohol. not too great.

T-tastes like watered down bourbon with tonic added. Slightly syrupy. Not too boozy. Not too bad actually!

M-higher medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-This is a actually a pretty decent beer. It's not much like any other beer I've had. It's pretty good though that I wouldn't mind ordering regularly. It does have a pretty refined taste to it.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 8/22/13

Appearance: Pours unexpectedly crystal clear, bright orange with some honey and copper - small, white head, fades to few small wisps of a cap, leaves a few spots and streaks of lacing

Smell: Caramel malts, vanilla, and bourbon - lightly toasted caramel malts, and crystal malts - some caramel and brown sugar sweetness, with some vanilla - some wood - definitely some bourbon aromas, and they are weird (not in a bad way) - very mild and gentle bourbon

Taste: Caramel malts with an undercurrent of mild, remarkably mellow bourbon - pale and caramel malts - lightly bready, with some interesting buttery esters (English yeast?) - basically, toasted bread with butter, caramel, and vanilla (part of your complete breakfast) - oak and very smooth, very mild bourbon - more like bourbon flavor than straight-up bourbon, I'm guessing this was not aged very long

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth, nicely carbonated, nice finish

Overall: "I know what I hate... and I don't hate this"

I am pleasantly surprised that is isn't a hot mess. I've been more or less disenchanted with bourbon-barrel aged beers over the last year, and I really just bought this out of mild curiosity. The base beer is pretty mild, but so is the barrel aging. This is far from a big, burly barrel-aged stout, and I'm sure that's why some would scorn at this. But I think it's worth a try.

4.34/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter, the liquid is clear copper with light carbonation, the Head is small white and leaves little lace.

The smell is great, lots of a very nice bourbon, vanilla and caramel seem to dominate.

The taste is equally as good but a bit different. Toasted coconut seems to be the taste the bourbon brings not vanilla so much. Really a nice brew to sip. Lightly toasted caramel and some vanilla notes do come out but nothing like the coconut.

The mouthfeel is light body and light carbonation nothing to great here, but not a reason to put it down either.

The drinkability is very good I would love to see this in a store. Thanks to NFLMVP for this very cool find, Prosit MK

3.31/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up a few weeks back in Totowa, having never had anything from Alltech's before. I like this style of beer but as so many others alluded to on here, this was weak in the mouthfeel and fell way short of its potential. Even the alcohol was too weak, leading me to believe that this could have been a Brown Ale instead of an English Strong Ale. It went down well but on a cool night like this, I was hoping for a bit more warmth and body.

The pour to this was decent, with a clear appearance, bright copper hue, and sizable head. There was enough lacing to be seen as well and nice amount of carbonation from the get-go. Not a strong aroma as there was some bourbon, oak, and molasses in the nose and faint amounts of those in the taste as well. Was this too malty? Sure. Was this too weak? Unfortunately. Was this like an after-dinner cordial and not a beer that I would expect from the Bluegrass State? Absolutely. Almost reminded me of Frangelico or 43 as there was some walnut or hazelnut that came out of nowhere and went away just as fast. Not a lot of warmth of stickiness like I had hoped.

There was alcohol here but not in the taste and only when I polished this off could I fell it subtly kick in. While not a complete letdown, this beer had so much potential to it but proverbially fell flat. Not as complex as a true Bourbon Barrel Beer, this is what I'd give someone who never had anything of this sort before. Too light for a style that can get as heavy as can be - worth a go once for for those who can't get a hold of anything from Innis and Gunn.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours clear amber with a creamy white head that hangs around awhile and leaves globs of sticky lacing.

Aroma is sweet caramel malt, earthy hazelnut, light fruit and slight alcohol warmth.

Taste is very earthy and nutty. Bready caramel malt. Woody oak, with a touch of vanilla as expected. Bourbon has a presence, but seems thin for my taste, and seems a bit watery. Hops bring and earthy bitterness to the finish.

Mouthfeel is light-medium in body. A fuller feel would go a long way for this one.

Overall a very mild bourbon barrel aged brew. I had expected a stronger bourbon presence. However, I did enjoy the malty earthy qualities of this beer.

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%

Dark amber in color with no head forming on the pour. Smell is sweet and alcoholic. Not necessarily a bourbon smell, but a sweet alcohol. Taste is overly carbonated and cheap bourbon. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. I was hoping more from a brewery that is located in the backyard of bourbon. The Jefferson's Reserve Stout is lightyears better.
A disclaimer is that I've heard this beer is an entirely different animal on draft compared to bottle. I'll seek it out on draft and update my rating accordingly.

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours amber with absolutely no head. Aroma is nice and oaky, soft bourbon presence, vanilla, and a tease of some toffee. Aroma is nice but I wish it could have had a touch more depth to allow it to be great; nails the bourbon and barrel influence, lacks enough beer presence. Flavor is toasty and spiceyy with oak, vanilla, toffee, and a soft bourbon presence. A medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this far surpassed my expectations. I always saw this one on tap at the craft bars in Colorado but always passed on it. For whatever reason I assumed it was a dud. Now that I am living in Kentucky and found singles of it on the local shelves, figured I'd give it shot. Certainly glad I did, decent stuff.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.