Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 572 | Hads: 2,618
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - lovely amber with slightly beige head

S - Woodiness from the barrel aging, bourbon and malty sweetness combine. Bourbon comes through stronger as the beer rests and hints of alcohol strength.

T - very flavorful malty sweetness with caramel and candy notes followed quickly by the strength of the bourbon.

M - smooth with a bite of alcohol, the body seems light at first, but as the bourbon makes its presence know, it moves quickly to medium. Some alcohol warmth, but not unpleasant. Long lingering bourbon sweetness on the palate.

O - Really glad I've had the opportunity to taste the base amber used to make this beer, which is good in its own right. The bourbon barrel aging takes it up a few notches. Very well done and well worth a try if you appreciate bourbon.

In a Duvel glass.

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz. bottle with "bottled on" date of Nov. 15 2010. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Poured a very transparent and clear light red/amber, basically the same as a Kentucky Ale. However, there was zero head (only a collar of bubbles) and zero lacing. Occasional carbonation bubbles rise, more so when the glass is swirled for agitation. When I first poured it, I thought I got a bad batch, or maybe I just didn't pour it vigorously enough. Beautiful color, though.

Aroma: Big hit of sweet bourbon on the nose is immediate, followed by some vanilla, woody accents, and a subtle malt backing from the Kentucky Ale. I wish they could make a candle after this beer; I would keep it lit in my house all day long, haha. The bourbon and vanilla become much more pronounced as the beer warms. Very promising aroma for this one.

Taste: The bourbon takes the largest part in taste; very sweet with a substantial amount of warming from the alcohol. As the beer warms, more of the malt flavors emerge, as well as the mentioned hints of vanilla and smoky wood. Maybe a little too sweet for its own good, but certainly a great-tasting beer to sip on slowly and enjoy. My only issue with the taste here is that it could be a little more "together"; at certain points, especially after the beer warmed, I felt like the bourbon and beer taste were playing tug of war: Bourbon at the front, beer in the back. Other than that, very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: More or less the same as regular Kentucky Ale, minus the carbonation (which Kentucky Ale didn't have a lot of in the first place). A little too thin for its own good, but suitable for the "sipping" nature of the beer.

Drinkability: The alcohol, although noticeable, is fairly well masked by the other flavors in the beer, and this makes it a dangerously drinkable beer. The sweet malts and bourbon characteristics make it a sweet and delicious dessert beer. That being said, if you drink more than two of these, you'll be feeling it; the alcohol creeps up slowly.

Like others, although this beer is great, I wish that Alltech would use a different base beer to age; Kentucky Ale isn't bad, but it's certainly not what one would think to use as an aging candidate. The aging process really stepped up the beer's game substantially, though. I'm proud to drink this and would go after it again.

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours pale amber in color, crystal clear. First scents at a distance bring sweet oaky vanilla certainly reminding me of bourbon, then comes the hops and caramel malts. The taste is well balanced and brings the drinker just the right amount of oaky bourbon flavors to balance the malt profile. The alcohol is surprisingly not overpowering considering the subtle flavors. Finishes smooth and dry. I'm surprised this beer isn't getting higher ratings, I would definitely say that if you're drinking this one right out of the fridge you're missing out on the nice flavors and aromas. I like it.

3.37/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pours a nice golden color, thin, about a 1/2" of head, nothing really stands out to me.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon.

T: BOURBON, vanilla and cinnamon. Tastes a little bit like Maker's Mark, if it were a beer. Sweet, smoky bourbon flavors really overwhelm the malt.

M: Kind of creamy, much to my surprise. Smooth.

D: I like bourbon a lot, but I couldn't finish this one, it was a little sweeter than what I was in the mood for.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed at a NOVA BA tasting and provided by a very generous BA. Big Thanks!

Pours a crystal clear light amber/orange hue in to my Duvel green snifter. Head forms a off white color and hangs around for a little bit. Honestly the beer looks just amazing for a Barrel Aged brew. The aroma is bourbon and oak but it is not overwhelming and is very welcomed. The taste was very interesting as I thought the the bourbon and oak were as close to perfect as you can get in a brew. The base brew I found to not match up very well though. The base brew was good and sweet but for some reason just did not pair well with the bourbon and oak levels. Mouth feel was pretty interesting as I felt it was close to a medium body but not close enough. A well crafted brew tht I would recomend to anyone who enjoys a bourbon and oak brew as the levels of both were amazing.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Fantastic beer. Had many times on tap and in bottle form before writing this review. You have to want to taste vanilla in your beer to like it. It's buttery smooth and unique -- I wish I had another beer to compare it to but I've found none. There's a magic formula here that will be duplicated ... eventually.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Clear cooper with white head about 3/4 inch. Excellent smell with vanilla oak bourbon nose, pleasantly drinkable with slight alcohol bite. Blends well with steak and sautéed mushrooms and onions.

3.89/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On draft at The Black Cow in Newburyport. Nice light caramel color. Nice bourbon taste, not sure why this is not rated better. My theory is because not much love for this brewery. I would have again.

2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

This one starts out good and then divebombs. The appearance is great. A clear amber with a decent fluffy white head. The smell is all wrong. The vanilla overpowers everything and it smells too sweet like candy. There is a hint of bourbon and some malt as well. The taste is the same. The vanilla sweetness is too much. This should be a flavor that hides in the background. The bourbon is there but there is no beer backbone to support the amount of bourbon and vanilla flavor here. This beer seems like it was created in a laboratory, not aged in barrels. The mouthfeel is really thin but syrupy at the same time. This plays into the idea that beer is not big enough to handle the bourbon barrel "aging" at all. Drinkability is low, very low. This one reminds me of my first sip of ST Creme Brulee. The intent and craftmanship were there but somewhere along the line a good idea turned into a bad product.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have tried this beer on 3 different occasions.
I am not a bourbon drinker, but I can tell the difference between bourbons.
Each time was different. I asked the bartender what he thought of the beer ( he knows his stuff) and he told me that this "batch" tasted like it was a makers mark barrel...I then tasted makers mark.
He continued to tell me they use different bourbon brand barrels for it and you can discern the difference in bourbons.
I liked the previous ones better (no idea what brand barrel they used....or if that is even true)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

This is my 1st bourbon barrel aged ale so I struggle to review. However, I can say what I have here is quite different. Appearance is a slightly smokey ale with a nice white head & some decent lacing.

The aromas, not mere aroma, is a wild bourbon slash ale with a slight citrusy sourness.

The taste is like no ale or beer that I ever tasted. Man, there is a beer flavor warmed with a tasty sweet and slightly tart flavors. That's bourbon. Like a boilermaker. Not my cup of tea, but I bet if you like that sort of thing this would be nice to try.

The carbonation is nice and easy, but the bourbon like warmth slows this to nice sipper. I will rarely engage in this type of beverage again, but this was a nice experience.

I would pair this friend with something southern. Maybe Bobby Bare "The Moon was Blue"

I must admit this was the first time I had ever enjoyed a lighter-bodied ale that had spent any amount of time inside the guts of a bourbon barrel. I had unceremoniously consumed Lexington’s daily ale a few days earlier and I could only imagine, while drinking this bourbon ale, that the weaker beer was used as it’s base (I believe I am wrong). Thankfully, that bubbly malt beverage had no real inspiration therefore letting those beautiful barrels do the real man’s job.

In my mouth this bourbon ale sang with an almost artificial bourbon essence like a vocoder covering up the very real mistakes. High notes of cherry, coconuts and vanilla extract made this taste almost like bourbon & cream-soda cocktail.

Strange though, through all my negativities, I actually enjoyed it and could see it’s rightful place in a styrofoam cooler on some double-wide’s cement slab, The Derby blaring on a tiny old tube TV. Just me & a couple good old boys lazing on a sun-bleached couch.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

Really nice bourbon in the aroma but the mouth feel and taste is so thin. I get hints of the bourbon but its almost a watered down taste and don't really get other flavors from the beer. Hides the alcohol well but when I drink a bourbon barrel beer I like it to be a bit thicker. Overall, its great if you want a little bourbon flavor in a beer you can have a few of, but I wish they aged it a bit longer in the barrels.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Huge smell of oak which was exciting, but that was about it. Has a bright clear copper color. Mouthfeel was medium high carbonation and the taste was bright but odd. The high carbonation hurt the bourbon flavors. Both beers I have tried from this brewer were disappointing. Looked good, smelled good, fell short.

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden brown, plenty of head.

Smell has hints of earthy bourbon flavor,

Interesting blend of flavor. The bourbon taste is stronger than I expected, but settles in fairly well.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

In fairness, I'm not a big fan of any "flavored" beer, be it cherry, pumpkin or bourbon. I tried to factor that in to my opinion. That said, it wasn't bad. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now and revisit later when I'm more familiar with the style.

If you like bourbon or flavored beer, it's worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Notes taken on 4/16/11-while in Boston for the weekend.

A- pouted a 10oz drink into a small swifter. A bubbly white head sat on a rich copper ale.

S- velvety malts, bourbon is very strong, oak from the barrels and a warmth of alcohol.

T- Awesome. The bourbon has a chewy, sticky caramel to it. So creamy and rich, buttery.

M- Full, moist beer. As it sat and warmed up, the complexityeas ever changing. Even though I did not know the abv, I could tell it was in the 8-10% range.

O- Enjoyed this a lot. One of the better beers I have ever had. Easily the best Bourbon beer imo.

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Leathery orange-brown color with a half-finger of white head. Wood, chocolate and caramel on the nose. Light-bodied in comparison to most barrel-aged beers, with good carbonation that really makes the caramel flavor pop. There's a definite, but light and easy-drinking, bourbon flavor to it. It's just a fun, quaffable beer.

2.92/5  rDev -19.3%

seems like anyone can drop beer in bourbon barrels and try to sell it as top market stuff.pretty mediocre to be fair.not much barrel presence at all in this beer.

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

i'm not a fan of bourbon so i wasn't expecting this beer to taste great...but it actually has a good taste until the bourbon after taste which brings it down some to me. it's smooth and not a bad buy if you wanna different style beer to try.

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice golden color with a decent head with a medium to high amount of carbonation. The smell is fantastic. Somewhat sweet smell with a delicious slightly bourbon accented aroma. The taste is solid but not mind blowing. About what you would expect although a lot lighter than any other beer I've had that was aged in bourbon barrels. Leaves a decent aftertaste, but the lightness allows the taste to fade quickly. Fairly drinkable for a stronger beer although I would want to switch up after about three or four of these because it has more sweetness than a typical beer. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and although it isn't the most tasty bourbon barrel beer I've had it is still a special beer.

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%

Enjoyed on tap at pazzos pizza pub in Lexington. Poured into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel snifter.

A - An average pour from the pitcher yields a finger of slightly off white head that dissipates pretty slowly into a thin disc on top of the beer. Clear dark amber in color, very similar to actual bourbon. Lace rings occur on the pitcher from every pour.

S - sweet caramel and bourbon on the nose. Alcohol is pretty well hidden for an 8 percent beer.

T - incredibly sweet and rich on the caramel malt. Bourbon is definitely on the forefront in the taste. Of the bourbon ales I have tasted, this is definitely the most bourbony. It is woody and delicious. The reason I am giving it a 5 on taste is that it is so unique and I have never had anything quite like it.

M - It is a little light bodied for the flavors present and doesn't really seem like that big of a beer, but carbonation is average to low which is spot on for this style.

O - It's not really that drinkable of a beer. Being a whiskey lover, I like it a lot, but it is hard to have a lot of it in one sitting since the flavors are pretty intense and the alcohol content is high. Like it or not, it is definitely a unique experience for anyone that tries it.

A- Poured into snifter that came with beer.
Clear, amber. 1/4 inch head that quickly dissipated. Minimal lacing.

S- Sweet, bourbon, vanilla, a little wood.

T- Surprisingly tastes just as good as it smells. Bourbon and vanilla. Caramel comes out as beer temperature rises. Slightly warm feeling after swallowing.

M- Light to medium body. Light carbonation.

O- I really enjoyed this. Definitely going out to find some more.

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-really shitty head...
- has a light whiskey scent the wood really overpowers
- taste as a English ale with a lot of oak and whiskey notes a slight skunk
-ok feel thicker
- ok beer not my style for sure, they hit alot of notes i think they were aiming for but it wasn't a enjoyable drink for me...

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draft to 5 oz. sampler. The equal weighting of appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel minimize this beer's qualities; it's better tasting than its reviews suggest. Plus it's filtered, so you can push your way through more without being weighted down. Bourbon is pronounced, but not overpowering. A decent brew for its type.

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice one and a half inch head and a nice amber color. No lacing on the glass. Has a sweet bourbon smell that reminds me of guess what bourbon. Initial sip is first bourbon and then you get the beer feel. Tastes like guess what bourbon. I ended up sipping this like a neat bourbon. That's how bourbon like this thing tastes. A little bit of carbonation. If you like bourbon you will like this beer. They seem to hit the bourbon flavor straight on. But as a beer there's not much IMO. Not a whole lot of flavor or heartiness.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.