Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
jera1350

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours into a tulip a dark gold color with a creamy clean white cap of foam on top.

The aroma lends notes of sour whiskey, cherry and vanilla. After some hard digging, I can pick out some coconut faintly. The nose a little light overall though.

Whiskey notes up front, followed by rather strong vanilla and toasted coconut. A very long and pleasant finish full of the aforementioned flavors. I wish the malt bill was a little bigger on this one, with some added sweetness. Right now, it tastes like a light version of Backwoods Bastard, which is still a fine quality to have.

Very smooth, but the body could use a bit of heft to round it out. Very dry feeling as well.

Rather enjoyed this one. Lives up to all of the bourbon barrel in its name. I just wish it had some more malt to add sweetness and body. It would then be an "A" or higher in my book. Still, this is one tasty beer. Actually kind of nice to have a barrel aged beer under ten percent alcohol for once. I would certainly pick this one up again.

10-08-2011 01:07:42 | More by jera1350
MikeOPFL

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Starts with a light ale with a hint of biscuit and grain, with the bourbon scents/taste "overpowering" this beer in a positive way.

On the tongue, the first notes are strong of bourbon, vanilla and oak. As far as the "treatment" of this ale, mission accomplished! The downside is that it overpowers the ale itself.

I'm a huge bourbon barrel beer fan, but a more complex malt profile would make this a much better beer, leaving me somewhat disappointed.

09-27-2011 20:32:06 | More by MikeOPFL
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I added this beer to my Wants list a long time ago because the picture was off this rocking blue and white jug type thing. I guess they don't use that anymore? I have the bottle that is pictured now, which isn't a problem or anything. I just won't be keeping it.

The pour reminds me of cream soda. Similar color with about a finger of foam, most of which fizzes away quickly to leave behind a small thick cap. There's a decent sheet of lacing stuck to the middle of the glass.

To put it as simply as possible, this beer smells like barrel. It's like when you smell a barrel-aged beer and you notice all of the aromas of the base beer and then whatever elements the barrel aging imparts. Well, with this beer, I'm not really smelling anything I would attribute to a base beer. It's really just those barrel elements, like oak, vanilla, caramel, maybe just a little bit of bourbon.

The flavor pretty much follows that. The description says that this beer is a marriage of an Irish Red and English Pale aged in bourbon barrels. I suppose I'm getting more English Pale than Irish Red, but this really just tastes like a generic barrel-aged beer. Tastes like brown sugar, vanilla, some almost toasty oak...I'm not really noticing any bourbon. Perhaps subtlety is what they were shooting for.

The texture is definitely Irish Red/English Pale. Much lighter than I expected for a barrel aged strong ale, but then again, I suppose it's such a broad style that it could still be appropriate. I don't know. Carbonation does very little to this beer, as it just sort of lays flat on the tongue. It's not lively and bubbly, nor is is mouth-coating and sticky. On the bright side, it's a very easy drinker for being 8+%. I never taste even a hint of alcohol, and the aforementioned light body gives this beer the potential to be very dangerous. All in all, a pleasant drinking experience despite not being terribly exciting.

09-25-2011 05:24:04 | More by Gyle41386
BareFeetPete

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

I have to give big props for individuality. I almost don't know how to describe the taste of this beer. A couple of very pronounced flavors hit me at different times. Initially it's a very typical American amber, but quickly lightens (as I swallow) to something more like a pale.

The smell is really nothing special. I mean, I like ambers so I'm already predisposed to liking how this smells, but if I'm being objective about it there's really nothing special about it.

I already described the initial taste, but the after taste was what made this beer fun to drink for me. I had a couple of bottles, one poured into a pint glass, the other straight from the bottle. The bourbon flavor was really pronounced when I drank from the bottle, and when I drank from the glass I got a lot of the wood and vanilla flavors I had heard about.

The mouth feel was another enjoyable characteristic, more so out of the bottle than the glass. I'm not a big fan of heavy carbonation but they seem to have hit a really nice balance here. If anything the carbonation helped to enhance the lighter undertones like the vanilla to balance out the more noticeable flavors of the traditional amber.

Overall, it's certainly not something I expected, and to be honest it was an impulse buy by my buddy who thought it looked like something different to try. So I have to say it was pleasantly surprising and if I am ever offered one I will definitely take it. But would I buy it again? Probably not. It's a novelty and something to try if you're looking for a break from your norm. But it's not a good session beer and it's not something that I would look for on a regular basis.

*I'm young, I only started really thinking about good beer three years ago, and this is my first review on the BA. So feel free to review my review and tell me how I did. I welcome criticism and advice.*

09-19-2011 19:58:26 | More by BareFeetPete
jondeelee

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale opens with a rich, malty, flavorful nose that bears a marked resemblance to bourbon poured over top-notch vanilla ice cream--the kind made with flakes of real vanilla bean. Some hints of biscuit and grain lie just beneath, but the bourbon scents are the larger part of the aroma. Still, the aroma is fairly light and evanescent, as if you were smelling a bottle that had been empty for several hours already.

On the tongue, the first notes are bourbon and, somewhat unfortunately, cola flavors, the beer thus immediately recalling a rum and coke, albeit one made with good, spiced rum. The bourbon barrel aging has added vanilla and oak flavors, which largely dominate the flavor profile, easily overpowering what appears to be a weak ale base. Some fruit esters such as berry and apple do float to the surface, but are light. Subsequent sips are even more dominated by the rum-and-coke flavors, and the beer's somewhat high carbonation levels contribute to this sensation. Mouthfeel is medium-light.

Overall, I was disappointed with the flavors in this brew, expecting more from the malts, and perhaps not quite so much from the bourbon barrel aging. The beer seems out of balance, which is a shame, since the bourbon barrels have obviously added a tremendous level of complexity to an ale that doesn't seem quite able to keep up.

09-15-2011 00:01:06 | More by jondeelee
McNealc31

4.95/5  rDev +34.9%

All the familiar characteristics of a good bourbon hit me immediately. That oakey and vanilla scent, the copper color. It drinks like the smoothest bourbon you've ever had with that unctuous buttery feel going down. And a hint of residual warmth. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is delicious, smooth, and has an aggressive, tricky 8% ABV.

09-10-2011 03:13:51 | More by McNealc31
Badbobx

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. There was a brief head that soon disappeared. There was no lacing.
The smell and aroma were predominately bourbon. I enjoy bourbon and this was an enjoyable experience. I sensed some malt sweetness through the bourbon, but not much. This is a rather light beer altogether. The mouthfeel is rather like drinking a lightly carbonated whiskey. I enjoyed this beer and would drink it again.

09-07-2011 02:38:12 | More by Badbobx
gobrewins

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a glass.

A: Light brownish copper in color, decidedly translucent, pours with a light, not foamy head that does not last for too long and does not re-form well after sips are taken.

S: Smells like a bottle of Jack Daniels, only not as strong of course, due to the much reduced alcohol percentage in comparison

T: Strong bourbon flavor makes this ale seem to have the character of a darker ale, though it is not. A much greater malt presence than hop presence, and not a lot of other flavors are there to overpower the bourbon.

M:The bourbon flavor creates a small burn through each sip, with the sugary malts present on the tongue.

Overall, I'm very happy with this beer. The bourbon is the strongest flavor, perhaps overpowering the other flavors of the ale. And yet, what does one really expect when they're picking up something called "bourbon barrel ale"? Adding that to the fact that bourbon is one of the few liquors I enjoy drinking, and you end up with a beer I strongly approve of. Great taste, definitely would get again.

08-31-2011 00:48:11 | More by gobrewins
jsanford

Georgia

2.17/5  rDev -40.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Pours a clear orange with a small creamy white head that recedes to a slight swirl of haze.
S - Sweet aromas of caramel malt, butterscotch, vanilla, and bourbon. Fairly one-dimensional, basically smells like Bourbon, which I usually wouldn't complain about.
T - Eww...not too good. Almost reminds me of a big Adjunct Lager that's been haphazardly slapped in a Bourbon barrel. Definitely getting the Bourbon flavors, but other then that there's some sweet malt, corn, and artificial butterscotch flavor. No thanks.
M - Thin and fizzy with too-high carbonation.
O - This got grosser the more I drank it. Perfect example of a Bourbon barrel not being able to fix a crappy beer. This is the kind of barrel-aged beer Budweiser would make.

08-25-2011 21:53:47 | More by jsanford
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty clear amber head, puffy white head, mediocre lacing.

S: Kind of sour up front, a lot of vanilla, caramel malt, and bourbon.

T: The sourness carries over to the taste, but doesn't ruin the experience. Tons of sweet malt, touch of hop bitterness. Tastes like sugar cookies and short bread soaked in bourbon.

M: Quite light, but very creamy, smooth carbonation.

O/D: It's something I'd definitely try again. Pleasant bourbon flavor that doesn't overpower the more subtly flavors.

08-25-2011 04:28:48 | More by mostpoetsdo
Merkur

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Found this on tap at Drake's, a new KY based resteraunt that has opened an outpost in the Nashville area.

While a huge, huge fan of bourbon barrel aged beers (stouts especially, and who isn't), this was a bit of a let down.

This beer was served in a Kentucky Brewery snifter glass. It poured a dark amber color. Much lighter than I would have thought.

Like most good bourbon barrel aged brews, this had your usual vanilla and booze smell.

The beer tasted very strongly of the bourbon. While a good stout will pair well and not have this taste overpower the beer, for this beer it was definately in forefront.

The overall mouthfeel was much ligher than I would have imagined. Much more like a brown ale.

Overall this beer has good flavor, but by the end the flavor felt a bit played out.

08-25-2011 00:52:43 | More by Merkur
shortbus7

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer was poured into a snifter from a bottle chilled in the fridge.

A: This beer has oranges red tint to it, very much like a dark apple juice. Thin lacing surrounds the glass.

A: 100% bourbon and I love it!

M: A light mouthfeel with very little carbonation. The carbonation kicks in a little bit during the aftertaste with a slight tingling on the tongue. I have had this on tap once and it had much more carbonation, which I liked greatly. In the bottle it almost tastes a little flat.

T: The beer is very sweet at first taste and is followed quickly by bourbon. The taste agrees with the title of the name perfectly. This may sound weird but beer taste like 7-up mixed with bourbon.

O: I really like bourbon so I enjoy this beer. If you are not a fan of bourbon, this will probably not sit very well with you. Overall a good beer but much better on tap due to the increased carbonation.

08-24-2011 23:14:14 | More by shortbus7
BourbonKYGent

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Mmmmm....I'm not sure if it's the beer or my uncontrollable desire for Bourbon (i.e. Makers Mark) but WOW this beer smells good. I must admit the only way I'd ever drink this brew is on tap. I tried it once from a bottle and it tasted like moldy cheese... totally serious. If you like bourbon you'd probably like this one. However, BEWARE... in the words of a famous comedian "it'll get ya DRUNK!" The ABV is high...I mean really high, so be careful because it tastes good and you might want a few. Also, it's extremely expensive. Which may drive you to try it on bottle, but remember... it'll taste like poopy cheese. So with all that said, break the bank and put on your favorite seersucker suit because it's derby day and you'll need a Bourbon Ale... but really a mint julep if we're being totally honest.

08-23-2011 03:18:58 | More by BourbonKYGent
SFLpunk

Vermont

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

Purchased at Liquors 44, Northampton, MA. 12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Neck dated Oct, 13 2011, 13:48, 44-286. Trying this at the behest of a former client...here goes:

Pours a orange amber with very thin white head. Nose is a mix of orange peel, cinnamon, vanilla extra and toffee/caramel. But non of the items are very distinct.

Palate is very sharp with alcohol burn. Thin caramel extract, butterscotch schnapps (very boozy), butterscotch and fusel/alcohols all over the place.

This beer is a train-wreck. A huge mess of butterscotch and booze. I can only assume that the Bros had a different batch than this one. Feels a lot like a marketing beer approach to barrel-aged beers. I think the AB Winters Cask is better than this.

08-19-2011 02:48:13 | More by SFLpunk
hoptualBrew

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

12oz bottle pours a transluscent light copper color. Little off white cream head dies down quick. No lacing, but pretty descent alcohol legs. I was expecting a thicker, fuller beer - but lets see what we have here...

Nose is some sweet malts & seemingly watered down bourbon. Very bourbon dominant here.

A sweet kick up front & bourbon all over the palate. Its not overwhelmingly strong, but its just not good - very one dimensional. In the back end I get a kick of corn, yes - corn, semi sweet & not so tasty. There is a little boozy burn at the back too.

Too thin (4/10) for my taste . In my opinion, this brew needs more complexity (no corn taste please) & a bigger body.

Overall, I really did not enjoy this one. If you like bourbon, you will probably like this beer. But I dont - I prefer beers with a hint of bourbon, not a smack of it to the mouth. I will be giving out the rest of the 4pack unfortunately.

08-18-2011 03:29:23 | More by hoptualBrew
Hopfenpeter

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -21%

This beer was poured into my crystal mug and showed a clear old copper gold color with a white head building about one finger high. It dissipates fast and left no lacing
Smelling this beer, you will instantly recognize the bourbon whiskey flavors and the oak barrel wood notes.
Tasting the beer, you will be strongly introduced to those sweet bourbon notes. In the middle the bourbon is still dominant, but some malty notes are present. At the end, I only can guess the hint of some hop. For my taste the bourbon whiskey flavors are just to much and powerful. I see no balance in this beer and would not buy it again, but it might suit others.

08-17-2011 04:00:43 | More by Hopfenpeter
ferrari29

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Beer poured from tap into an authentic Lexington Brewing Co. style stemmed-snifter glass

A - Beer was served with a healthy looking solid white head, one finger in size; dark copper colored clear body; well carbonated; beer formed nice rings of lacing around the glass; head was rich and thick

S - Light bourbon scents; roasted malt back-end; some vanilla bean in there, but was mostly covered up by the bourbon notes; butterscotch

T - Dark sugary flavors, like brown sugar and maple syrup; caramel; rich bourbon taste, strong than the initial smell; plenty of vanilla bean taste; butterscotch taste coats the tip of the tongue

M - Beer is effervescent; bourbon-dry aftertaste; good solid body feel

D - Slight scotch taste, but overall very good; makes a nice after dinner beer and goes well with a sugary dessert; should have been served a bit warmer to let the bourbon taste and smell really come out, but I couldn't help myself and decided to drink it ASAP. good stuff, I'd have another for sure

08-16-2011 01:02:53 | More by ferrari29
yankeej13

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

I got this beer as a present from a friend who went driving up north and on his way back down south saw this and thought of me so I thank him for that!

Apperance- A nice light red color with a nice little rim of foam. Lots of carbonation, nearly clung to the glass making it hard to tell the color of the beer lol.

Smell- I have never had a bourbon ale before so I was not sure what or what not I was supposed to smell but this you can clearly tell, it had bourbon in it...duh.

Taste- It was pretty well balanced. It did not have an overpowering bourbon taste As quick as you taste the bourbon its gone a second later.

Mouthfeel- Nice light and very crisp. Leaves a small hint of bourbon behind with leaves your mouth with a good flavor.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer considering I would have never tried this if my friend did not bring it to me so for that I say...Cheers!

08-13-2011 16:31:40 | More by yankeej13
litheum94

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz bottle. August 18, 2011 stamped on the bottle. I can only assume this is a best by date, which seems a little odd for a barrel aged beer.

P: Clear amber body. Dirty white head, one finger thick. Settles down to a patchy cover with large bubbles.

A: Jack Daniel's whiskey aromas. Toffee and sweet taffy. Burnt caramel. Oak. Spicy hops. There's an almost artificial aroma. Buttered popcorn?

T: Vanilla, oak and bourbon flavors. The bourbon is a little hot, giving the impression that the barrels weren't of the highest quality. Some buttery malts. Cola flavors on the finish. No hop profile.

I vacillated between liking this beer and loathing it. It has some nice flavors, but the bourbon portion of it just tasted artificial and cheap. It was an interesting style to barrel age, and I have one more bottle, so my opinion may change. But at this point, I'm not overly impressed.

08-11-2011 04:23:45 | More by litheum94
Stinkypuss

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Pours a clear bright copper in color, small ring of head forms and recedes away. Aroma is full of vanilla, bourbon, butterscotch, and alcohol fumes. The taste follows suit, but does so nicely. There is a sweetness from the oaky tannins of the bourbon barrels, vanilla like. Bourbon flavor makes itself known, with a vaguely smokey sweet alcohol grain flavour. The english pale/irish red base beer lends itself perfectly in its lightness to pick up all the flavors from the barrel. Alcohol is there but not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall, this beer really highlights what fresh bourbon barrels can do to a simple base ale. Quite nice.

08-10-2011 15:41:38 | More by Stinkypuss
Veillantif

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle, about 11 degrees C, poured into a stange glass, not chilled.

A: The rustic label promises nothing more—thank God—than "ale aged in oak barrels," and that is exactly what it looks like upon pouring: a handsome oaky color. Two fingers of foamy head dwindle in under a minute down to one, then in another minute down to a gossamer thickness. Damn; wanted it to last.

S: I've had three oak-barreled, ersatz-Bourbon beers, and this is the first whose scent of Bourbon is potent without being overpowering. As I foresaw, there's a smoky flavor; as I hoped, there was an evident beer flavor, too.

T: Don't these guys get a bit of a free ride? I mean, the smoky Bourbon flavor is so irresistible that it almost inoculates a brew like this from criticism. But other than its tree-given charm, is there something beerishly great about this one? Beerishly good, yes: this is by no means third-rate swill given instant cred with a flavor gimmick. But what do I taste after that admittedly awesome rush of smokiness passes? Vanilla, sweet malt: agreeable subordinate flavors that know their place.

M: I wish that the carbonation were a little more robust, since it's way too easy to drink something too delicious too fast. But I'll tell you, this aftertaste will make the happiest ex-smoker in the land light up within five minutes.

D: My dream is that someday, some enterprising fellows will come along and make Trappist-style ale with crystal malt, then age it in these oak barrels. On that day thereon I will drink nothing else whatsoever as long as I live. Until then I will happily drink another one of these babies whenever I happen to be in the Bluegrass State.

08-10-2011 04:27:41 | More by Veillantif
morimech

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Sept 15 2011 stamped on the bottle neck. Pours a clear, dark amber with two fingers of rocky white head. The head settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass.

At first it had a raw whisky aroma but after it breaths a few moments, it mellows into a rich bourbon aroma. The bourbon dominates the aroma and does not let anything else come out.

The bourbon dominates the flavor as well. But some sweet malt tries to give some balance to the beer. Has a sweet finish rather than a hot, boozy flavor.

For a beer that does not pack a lot of malt flavor, it has a surprisingly robust body. Nice carbonation.

Just not enough beer qualities come through. It does feature bourbon in one of the purest ways in a beer.

08-08-2011 18:40:07 | More by morimech
seabass87

Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip.

A- Glowing copper color. Translucent and effervescent body. Aggressive pour yields a small, short-lived, fizzy head.

S- Bourbon (surprising, I know). Apple juice, oddly enough. Not incredibly complex, but is vaguely inviting.

T- The bourbon taste isn't as strong as many bourbon barrel beers. It actually feels a bit "watered down" for lack of a better explanation, sort of like sipping a glass of bourbon after the ice has melted. I can't help but get a bit of apple juice from this... might be an anomaly. A soft vanilla taste comes during transition, and a few seconds later we are hit with a big wave of vanilla.

M- Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. A lighter version of a bourbon barrel ale. Dry finish.

O- This is more or less a light version of a bourbon beer. The most interesting aspect is the huge wave of vanilla that is delayed by a few seconds after transition. I had this on tap a few weeks ago and the flavors were more pronounced. Not a bad beer, could be sessionable but 8.19% ABV is a bit heavy.

08-03-2011 04:46:32 | More by seabass87
cbutova

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

It seems like the beers with lighter Bourbon barrel influence get less love on this website, from the first few sips I think this is a good use of barrels.

A- Golden-orange ale into my DFH snifter. A small white head forms and dies out quickly leaving a small cloud on the beer and a ring around the edges. Some legs but no lace.

S- I mostly get fruit and a moderate amount of Bourbon influence in the aroma. The fruit is dark like cherries and raisins. Also some oak and vanilla.

T- Very interesting. Diluted Bourbon works out well, giving off some great flavors (oak, whiskey, vanilla, toast) without totally dominating the base beer. It seems like the base beer contains some yeast spice, bread, caramel, toasted nuts, citrus and floral hops, raisin and general fruit.

MF- Highly carbonated, lighter-end body (for barrel aged) with a somewhat creamy and silky feel. Ends with a bit of warmth on the back of the palate and throat.

I think this deserves more than a B. The wood and whiskey flavors come through nicely and do not take over the whole flavor, a nice base still remains after aging. Interesting and a beer that I had a lot to write about, which is always a nice thing.

08-03-2011 01:57:30 | More by cbutova
spitInTheOcean

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

golden brown. crystal clear. poor head retention, and poor lacing.

toffee, caramel, malty, sweet, alcohol smells. there is some bourbon aroma there too but not as much as the name would suggest. i think the bourbon notes are coming off as caramel and toffee. dont taste oak, just toffee and caramel. some of the vanilla from the bourbon come through as well.

immediately huge caramel an toffee flavor. like biting into a skor bar. sweet and crisp, very malty flavor. again it doesnt taste immediately taste like whiskey, but the flavor of whiskey is what lingers after the finish.

medium body. crisp finish.

this is definitely an interesting beer. this beer has benefitted from being bourbon barrel aged, i have tried the original. a beer with decent complexity. i would like to serve this to a friend who drinks nothing but cheap whiskey and cheap domestic lager and see if he digs it.

07-28-2011 03:47:14 | More by spitInTheOcean
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.