Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros

beerme626, Apr 29, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

4/27/2012
Got a growler of this from work at Hop City.
Poured from growler into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with a half inch head no lacing, decent retention. Bubbling is seen through the glorious translucent amber.

Smell: Vanilla and coconut dominate. Bourbon smell of sweet butterscotch. Last I smell earthly notes of smoked oak.

Taste: The progression... smooth bourbon and malty taste, then I received a strong medium bodied vanilla and coconut taste, then the earthly feel on the back end.

Mouthfeel: A medium to soft bodied feel with watery flow. Decent carbonation from a growler.

Drinkability: Very good taste and smell. It is a very pretty beer. I will say it's downfall if mouthfeel and it could be a bit stronger due to it's ~8% ABV but alas. It still gets a fairly high rating from me.

julian89, Apr 28, 2012

AdamP, Apr 27, 2012

Calculat0r, Apr 27, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

I got a bottle of Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have had this beer a couple times a while ago, this was actually my first Bourbon Barrel beer that I ever I had, I liked it, but I thought that it was pretty intense, so lets see what I think of it now. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label on this beer it's pretty clean and classic looking, it looks pretty good to me. It poured a lighter caramel color that took on a nice bright copper hue when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. This was a decent looking strong ale, but I wish it had better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty heavy bourbon aroma that imparts some oak, vanilla, and slightly smokey aromas. Next comes some sweet malts that impart a molasses, toffee, caramel, and some booze soaked raisins. The caramel and toffee come through again towards the end along with a lighter boozy aroma. This was a great and complex smelling beer, the malt base isn't covered up and there tons of great complex aromas imparted from the Bourbon Barrels.

T- The taste follows the aroma nicely with the sweet malts showing up first and they impart some sweet caramel and molasses flavors with a slight bit of toffee. Next comes some flavors from the barrel, I get some vanilla, oak, charred oak, and Bourbon flavors. Towards the end I get some Bourbon soaked raisins and a lighter alcohol presence that isn't warming and it had a low amount of medium bitterness. This was a good tasting beer, the heavy caramel flavor helped balance all those flavors from the barrel, but the flavors did taste slightly watery.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied, with a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel was going the right direction till I got to the carbonation, it was just too prickly for this style of the beer and the body could have been a little thicker.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and a good example of barrel aged beer that isn't a Stout, Stouts usually work the best because of how their robust malty taste balances out the heavy barrel notes, but with this beer the malt base was very caramel like which provided good balance to the barrel aspects of this beer. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth for a barrel aged beer, it wasn't overly boozy, I could see drinking another one if I had it. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was really nice and complex, just what I want from a barrel aged American Strong Ale. What I liked least about this beer was the slightly thin body and the prickly carbonation, the body was the main flaw with this beer. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a cheaper barrel aged beer, but it isn't available here, so who knows when I will be able to drink it again. I recommend giving this beer a try, it might make for a good introduction to barrel aged beers, it worked for me, maybe it can work for you. This beer made for a good first impression for this brewery, I would like to try some of their other beers. This is a good example of a barrel aged American Strong Ale, it had good flavors and was nicely balanced which isn't that easy to do when barrel aging a beer, this is good but it can't hang with some of the better bourbon barrel beers, but it's a good easily accessible example of the style and that isn't easy to come by, good brew guys.

StoutHunter, Apr 27, 2012

XenonX, Apr 19, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

stbo101, Apr 18, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours light caramel color with a nice one finger of creamy light foam.

Smell is oaky bourbon, vanilla and caramel. The bourbon and wood are very prominent.

Taste is a nice vanilla caramel with an oaky bourbon finish.

Medium heavy, creamy mouthfeel.

Overall very good. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. A little on the heavy side. I don't think I'd have two in a row but it was very good.

Kbogac, Apr 16, 2012

swetsastonic, Apr 15, 2012

vbiliyar, Apr 14, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pours a light gold with a thin, creamy white mousse that dissipates quickly.

S: This ale really captures the essence of bourbon. Strong scents of vanilla bean, caramel, toffee, woody spices, toasted coconut, and honeysuckle are framed against a backdrop of grassy, earthy hops and biscuits.

T: Extremely robust notes of charred oak, woody spices, toasted coconut, heavy cream, vanilla bean, biscuits, grassy hops, minerals, caramel, butterscotch, toffee, and honeysuckle wash across the palate. The finish is rich and smooth with notes of vanilla, grassy hops, spice, caramel, butterscotch, and toasted coconut underscored by mellow alcohol.

M: Full-bodied and very dry. Alcohol presence is understated. Carbonation is very active. Very heavy in the mouth. Definitely a sipper.

O: This is a very enjoyable strong ale. I particularly like the fact that it actually smells and tastes like bourbon-something most barrel aged ales fail at by the way. I can see this becoming a go-to evening sipper.

mrfrancis, Apr 14, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

I really liked this beer got it at the bar down the street. The beer had a very strong vanilla taste, it tasted almost creamy to me which I was just not expecting. I am not one that likes to drink milk but this beer really hit the spot. I got it right after a nice dinner and I was sittin at the bar sipping it and watching the baseball game.

JonKru, Apr 13, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains bourbon, vanilla, alcohol, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel, vanilla and bourbon. The bourbon barrel aging is quite evident as it is in the smell but it also brings medicine-like flavor. The malt character is on the thin side for this type of beer and there’s a mild but complementary hops presence. However, there isn’t as much balance as you get from most barrel-aged beers. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, good variation of style, it’s not a bad beer but there are several other barrel-aged beers I would choose over this one.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 13, 2012

Kidfrogger, Apr 12, 2012

geneklingler, Apr 11, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

TonyTalon, Apr 08, 2012
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.