Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

This was a tough one to get. It was originally only on tap available in growlers only, but this winter they decided to add it to a gift pack with bottles. Thanks a bunch to Noslenwerd for going out of his way to get me this one. Unfortunately the glass that came in the sampler pack broke in the trip here, but at least the beer made it. I'm excited to try it, despite the B rating.

A: A very light fluffy head forms and disperses just as fast. It's a very clear pale golden color with a little orange.

N: Nose is actually pretty sweet, with a very bourbon barrel characteristic. It reminds me of when I went to a couple distilleries in KY and the basic aroma you get from nosing the actual barrels when they are opened, minus the crazy bourbon aroma. It's a little creamy and fruity, but mostly just a great bourbon aroma. Not much on the way of beer yet.

T: Taste actually starts with a slight malty flavor, but mostly is again bourbon. Tastes like a nice light and smooth bourbon with much less alcohol. It has some clear woody esthers as well, and an obvious oak taste. More of that fresh from the barrel bourbon flavor. It also has a little fruitiness, and some more sweet almost honey like flavors. It still hides the 8%abv well though. The bourbon and woody flavors come out even more as it warms. I recommend letting it warm a bit. With all the flavors, and bourbon especially, it's still really smooth.

M: Semi thin, more than I expected, and very little carbonation.

F: Finishes a little sweet still, and even has a touch of creaminess. It has some woody esthers that linger, as well as some oak. Not much lingering on the bourbon flavor. A little bitterness starts to come through, but more from the esthers than hops. It doesn't last long before your mouth is clean and ready for more.

Being a big bourbon fan, the fresh bourbon and oak flavors of this really impress. The beer side is a little flat and the lack of carbonation in a light ale is a little hard to get by. But how much great bourbon flavor this has, and even seems to have a little of the sweet bourbon mash and woody esthers, I really enjoyed it.

jlindros, Jan 31, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -27%

A - Golden in color. Pours about an inch of head that disappears to just a thin coating not quite covering the total surface of the beer.

S - Light bourbon oak scent. Also some vanilla probably from oak. Reminds me of a watered down bourbon that has been sitting on ice a bit.

T - Again a watered down taste to the bourbon (but then again if I wanted massive bourbon - I'd have bourbon). Other flavors like tart fruit and bread come up. Very sweet aftertaste.

M - Very light. I get a thick coating at the back of my tongue like I get when I have had some "alca-pop" like drinks. The sweetness is a bit off for me.

D - The one of the lightest in color bourbon beers I have had. But the bourbon taste seems too watered down which hides the alcohol level of the beer. While I could have a couple more before the true level of the alcohol hits me, I don't think I would want to have another anytime soon.

JMBSH, Jan 24, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

Thanks out over the rain-filled skies of Minnesota to BEERchitect for sending this nice little extra in a recent trade. Feels like a good way to wrap up an evening of poker with the boys (& old men, who are sometime far more amusing & interesting than the boys).

I'm certain this is the lightest bourbon barrel aged brew I've ever had, looks very much like a pale ale, yellow with red highlights. Smell is subtle malts, bourbon, with a stronger whiff of wood.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale makes me think brewers should be sticking more than RIS & barleywines in barrels. The wood, as much as the bourbon, is on top of this sandwich, leaving a dry, vanilla, bourbon, slightly sweet malt taste sticking around. The lighter malts really play off the bourbon nicely, leaving a more true bourbon experience without the scorching heat of true bourbon. Very interesting. Slides down very nicely. This is one of the few brews of the style that I can see going down quickly, & easily, for a few hours at a time.

Excellent beer & a great twist on barrel aging. Let's try this whole paler beer in a barrel thing, it's working here!

maximum12, Jan 23, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

I like how the color is very bourbonish. Downside to appearance is the quickly vanishing head. I don't know much about the science of bourbon aging--maybe the process kills the head?

Smells good, malt blends with the bourbon very well. Reminds me of a sweet bourbon sauce you might pour on a dessert.

Bourbon taste comes out great, without overpowering the rest of the brew. Again, there's a good, caramelly malt backbone. The only beef I have with the beer is that the bourbon doesn't taste "blended" with the other characteristics of the beer. Like maybe someone put an ounce or so of bourbon in the glass right after I poured it. But I won't discount this one for it; it seems to be a pretty common characteristic among the lighter bourbon ales (ie, not stouts).

I gotta say, the bourbon gives this one an odd aftertaste. Pretty good besides that.

wescj, Jan 16, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

This poured a clear dark gold with some off-white head. It smelled strange, like light sulfur and sweet bourbon, with some fresh oak and peaches and sour apple. It tasted much like it smelled, with sulfur and light bourbon and oak, along with some cabbage and vanilla and peach and bready yeast. It was slightly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall I'm not sure if this was how this beer is supposed to taste, or if it was skunked. But if this was actually a "good" bottle, then I am really not a fan.

Pencible, Jan 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from bottle into Sam Adams specialty pint glass. Ya know, the pretty curved one!

A- Lightly carbonated, medium-light amber hue. Almost looks like good Savannah honey. Small, one finger head dissipating quickly into slight lacing.

S- Well, this was heaven to me, 'cause I love a good bourbon. So much sweet, caramel-vanilla bourbon smell, you would think you were smelling a well aged bottle of Four Roses Bourbon. Definitely smell oak and a tiny hint of smokiness.

T- Very sweet, very bourbon-esque. A mild American Ale with slight hop characteristics with an overload of vanilla, oak, caramel, fig and, of course, BOURBON! Very pleasant taste. It hides its ABV VERY well. Only complaint is it needs a more complex malt character as well as a little smokiness to balance the sweetness. Almost NO aftertaste.

M- As creamy as Sleeman's Cream Ale. Light, yet silky smooth. Goes down easily, if not a bit TOO easily. This beer is unexpectedly light on the tongue.

D- Oh it's great to drink, just not in large quantities. Its sweetness can be overpowering, and its ABV will leave you wondering what happened after only a few. It will sneak up on you quick with this one.

Overall, a very warm and tasteful beer for those who look for the unusual or unexpected. Great for relaxing in a chair and pairs very well with good cigars, especially Conneticut Shade wrapped stogies. Definitely worth trying, just don't expect this to be the next great session beer.

[EDIT]
When I was home on leave Thanksgiving '09, I went to the Paddy Wagon in Richmond, KY and had this on tap. Wow, was it great! Something about it being on draft brought out all the subtle little tastes even more, such as the caramel and vanilla. Followed it up with a glass of Knob Creek Bourbon and man was I on cloud 9, and it wasn't from the ABV either. This beer is great to warm the soul and relax.

ryalmighty1, Dec 24, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is an odd beer. It's color is amber with a modest head that quickly fades to nothing. It is the aroma and taste that are odd. Both are like a parody of what bourbon barrel aging should be like. That being said, while the aroma was like an imitation scent, the taste wasn't that bad. It was certainly malty sweet and the other dominant flavor, while not evocative of bourbon, is more caramel and vanilla. The feel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK.

KBBA is not a bad beer, but it just comes across as contrived, to me anyway.

Edit: The reviewer below me mentioned coconut and I realize that's it. The smell and taste remind me, not of coconut, but of coconut extract.

kegger22, Dec 21, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

On tap at the B-Spot.

A pint glass arrives with a caramel colored liquid with small residual head.

Smells of bourbon, sweet caramel malt, mild hops, vanilla. Nice aroma from an unassuming beer.

Taste is bourbon, vanilla, coconut. Smooth but nothing is really jumping. This does NOT taste like a beer with a shot dumped into it, but it also doesn't show enough of the intricate flavors that bourbon barrel aging can impart IMO.

Mouthfeel is weak - undercarbed and watery.

Drinkability is better than average, although it is certainly not a multi-dimensional beer. One and done for me.

jampics2, Dec 21, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Koningshoeven sniffer. Very light and clear in color. Little to no head.
Armoa is very mild. A pretty obvious bourbon scent along with oak.
Carbonation is high at first, taste is earthy, oaky, and slightly boozy. Not a bad beer, but overall pretty mild and average. It's not as intense of a bourbon flavor as I expected. The aftertaste has more bourbon flavor than the actual drinking of it.

ShadesOfGray, Dec 08, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Presentation: Received a 4 pack of this along with a logoed snifter from my sister for my birthday. Apparently my passions are well know, she always gets me something alcoholic or alcohol related. Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into small logoed snifter. Label is simple, the end of a barrel with a short description and the tag of "Official beer of the Alltech FEI." No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with some almost white foam, but no appreciable head. What does show up disappears quickly. The beer itself is perfectly clear and the color of burnished copper.

Smell: Aroma of bourbon, vanilla, and oak with undertones of slightly sweet caramel malt.

Taste: Once again, flavors of bourbon; cherries, oak, and a slightly sweet chocolate undertone. Subtle flavors become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation level is average, maybe a tad low. Body is good.

Drinkability: I thought I might not like this one, probably the only bourbon barrel aged beer I can see through, and I am not a huge fan of boozy bourbon beers. However, they have done a nice job of capturing the flavor of bourbon without the bite.

beveritt, Dec 06, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3%

Picked some of this up for a trade with Mkroadrush and thought I'd give it a shot as well since I've never had it. Poured from the bottle into a snifter. Review is from notes taken on 11/30/09.

Appearance: Pours a peachy/coppery color; starts with a short 1/2 finger head that fades immediately to nothing but a thin whisp of a skim and a ring of bubbles on the surface; body has the slightest haze to it and shows no carbonation; just a few spots of lacing.

Smell: Hints of bourbon, wood and sweet vanilla; slight tart fruitiness way in the back -- interesting nose, but not very potent; slight whiff of alcohol starts to become present as it warms.

Taste: Much like the nose, there's a definite sweetness from vanilla and oakiness; mild bourbon flavor combines with the mild tart-like fruitiness that's a little acidic; very slight hint of alcohol that becomes more prominent as it warms.

Mouthfeel: nearly no carbonation, but what's there is a tad sharp; body is a little thin and feels a tad slick and oily; gums are left tingly; slight coating on teh tongue; belly is left warm; body is is not very lively, but I find this is sometimes the case with barrel-aged offerings.

Drinkability: Not too bad - flavors are alright, but not especially potent; ABV is a bit high, but too much of a punch that I probably couldn't force my way through two, but no more than that.

bamadog, Dec 02, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle into a snifter glass

A: Pours a deep golden/caramel brown. Looks like a glass of bourbon with head. Head pours fluffy white, recedes sort of quick to a few patches on top and a thin lace.

S: Notes of sticky bourbon, sweet alcohol and toasty oak come through. Earthy and fruity. Very pleasant complexity that is worth lingering over.

T: Carmel and vanilla notes, sweetness of bourbon with a lingering smokiness from the cask. You can tell they used a damn good bourbon, makes me think of fall.

M: This is the weakest part of the beer, a bit light on carbonation, the beer feels a bit thin. This is probably due to the addition of bourbon to the beer, and probably why most bourbon beers are darker stouts or porters. Still it was interesting, and almost better to have it with the caramel color than a darker beer.

D: Drinkable for the 8.2 ABV, but I dont know how many of these I would want to choke down. Better for an after dinner thing.

MisterTiat, Nov 23, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to auroracrisis for sending me some bottles of this! Wanted to try this for a long time, so thanks Ben for the chance.

I needed a boubron beer fix (see my review for BBC Reserve Boubron Barrel Stout to see why) so I grabbed one of these next.

My bottle didn't look like the sweet one in the picture above, it was simply a brown 12 oz bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color into a pint glass. Off white head is produced on the pour, and shrinks to a small pillow and ring around the outside edge of the glass. Doesn't leave a ton of lacing. I love the color though.

The nose is...fantastic! This has to be my first bourbon barrel beer that isn't a stout, porter, barleywine or brown ale so this is very good news for the rest of bourbon barrel beers in my eyes. I get bourbon soaked fruits...incredibly fruity. A nice woody character in the background and a nice warming bourbon smell, which is mostly soaked into the fruit aromas.

The taste is similar to the nose, very fruity with a bourbon soaked fruit/wood character. This is tasty stuff, but it's just not as tasty as the nose advertises unfortunately. Still, very tasty. Totally not expecting it to be so fruity. It's like it's an average beer with bourbon (and good bourbon mind you) soaked fruit dropped in. Great stuff.

The mouthfeel is light, and slightly overcarbonated. I'm not feeling this section of the beer, but I'm definitely into the taste and smell.

Drinkability is great. If the ABV were slightly lower this would be an awesome session beer. I really like the aroma and flavor of this, and I could have a few without getting knocked on my ass. What more could you ask?

If I lived in an area where this was readily available, I would buy this all the time. At $12 a four pack, how could you go wrong?

Mistofminn, Nov 23, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3%

Appearance - Pours a bright, clear amber with a short-lived 1.5 finger soapy off-white head with very little lacing.
Smell - Bourbon, vanilla and caramel.
Taste - Lots of vanilla and sweet caramel - almost a caramel apple flavor - and bourbon.
Mouthfeel - Light-medium body; a little thin and watery with light carbonation. The carbonation begins at a moderate pace but runs out of steam relatively quickly.
Drinkability - Surprisingly drinkable, though the sweetness of this beer prevents it from being a beer to have more than 12 ozs of.
Overall - A very interesting beer that is a nice change of pace.

Aenema, Nov 06, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Nice golden color with a decent head with a medium to high amount of carbonation. The smell is fantastic. Somewhat sweet smell with a delicious slightly bourbon accented aroma. The taste is solid but not mind blowing. About what you would expect although a lot lighter than any other beer I've had that was aged in bourbon barrels. Leaves a decent aftertaste, but the lightness allows the taste to fade quickly. Fairly drinkable for a stronger beer although I would want to switch up after about three or four of these because it has more sweetness than a typical beer. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and although it isn't the most tasty bourbon barrel beer I've had it is still a special beer.

bheilman, Nov 05, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Tried this on draft on the recommendation of Brian Yaeger, author of "Red, White, and Brew." Brian was nice enough to give me another 12oz bottle of this that I brought to a tasting to share.

A - This beer is a nice clear amber color with a small off-white head and nice lacing.

S - Aroma is bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and oak. Smells very nice.

T - Slightly sweet caramel malt, bourbon, vanilla, oak, buttery notes, and a little alcohol. Very well balanced. It's nice to see a bourbon barrel aged beer done well other than the massive imperial stouts and such.

M - Body is medium and palate is smooth with medium-low carbonation.

D - This is an underrated beer, and drinkable for the ABV.

nickd717, Sep 30, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +15%

In Kentucky for the night so what better way to spend it than watching opening night of NFL with an ale aged in kentucky bourbon barrels. This 4 pack of 12 ounce bottles set me back a total of $12. Very rustic looking label with no best before/bottled on date.

12 ounce bottle poured into my brand spankin new Founders pint glass. Pours an orange color with very little head and no lacing lining the glass. Nose consists of sweet vanilla and kentucky bourbon. Tastes mostly of sweet bourbon with bitter beer hints settling out the palate. Also sweet caramel is noted. Mouthfeel is light bodied Drinkability is pretty solid, definitely more bourbon in the taste than I would prefer but the sweet finish really sets this beer off. We'll see how i'm feeling after I finish the 4 pack.

abrand, Sep 11, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Many thanks to WesPatrick for sharing this at a tasting on 8/12.
Blue swingtop-- bottle number 203/500 from 2006. Reviewed from notes.

Cascades into the glass a burnt sienna, as it were, orange, though not so much of the tiger-paw type. A surprisingly ample head for the age, but it settles quickly and leaves but a few wisps behind.
Aroma is the best part, with notes of vanilla and bourbon, a bit of cardboard from the oxidization of age, though I do think that this beer is better now than it would have been fresh.
The flavour affords a bit of disappointment... mostly watered down bourbon with some malt syrup and woody notes, but very little complexity.
The carbonation level is a bit of a surprise for the age of the beer, especially from a swingtop. Huge carbonation with a cottony feel in the back of the throat, and a good bit of astringency and warming.

This is a decent beer by the pint, but it seems to me that the bourbon has simply overwhelmed the beerish characteristics as a result of the marginal body. I don't know that aging a 7% beer in bourbon barrels is a good idea, as 7% beers can hardly stand up to a bourbon flavour... rather than melding together flavours to form a great beer, it seems to simply polarize aspects of the beer so that the flavours you get are first bourbon, then malt, and that's it.

An interesting beer to try, to be sure. I certainly wouldn't drop the coin on it that Wes did, but I thank him for the opportunity.

khiasmus, Aug 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +15%

Bottle brought from Kentucky, poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Poured brilliant amber. Very light head, no lattice. Reasonable amount of carbonation. Relatively thin body.

Nose: Sweet vanilla and coconut dominate, hint of honey and sweet orange zest background.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot of body, a little thin. Wish it had a little more.

Taste: Vanilla and toffee up front, very sweet. Malts and honey, fading to golden raisins or sweet dried fruit (again a hint of orange). No hops anywhere in flavor profile.

Finish: Low, lingering finish, honey and vanilla flavors persist. Sweet again.

Overall: Good sipper if you're in the mood. You can actually taste the bourbon, as opposed to so many weak bourbon ales that lack the flavor of the spirit. Good beer, I'd get it again when I'm in KY.

nanertak, Aug 05, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Received as an extra in a trade with BEERchitect

Orange in color with some good lacing. It's transparent and with a good level of carbonation. I was surpirsed how light this beer was in color. Vanilla is the dominating smell, not as much bourbon spiciness as I had hoped, alot of caramel. There is minimal hoppiness, but the bourbon does come through a bit more in the taste. The vanilla again dominates followed by the caramel sweetness. Once it warms up a bit more though more of the bourbon comes through. The mouthfeel is light yet creamy. The drinkability is fairly high, but the sweetness is a little troubling. This is definitely one of those beers that only gets better as it gets warmer, because the flavor balance out more.

I am very happy to have tried this beer and much thanks to a great trader.

mikey711, Jul 30, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

On a recent visit to Lexington I tried a pint of this at the hotel bar. Visually it was a lot lighter than I expected: light abmber with a half inch of dense white head. The noese was quite fruity too.
I wasn't sure what to expect on the first sip, and after a pint of kKntucky ale the first taste was a shock to the system. The bourbon flavour was overpowering, the hops were nowhere to be found -the sweetness of the bourbon just eliminated any bitterness that the hops may have imparted, almost like drinking a boilermaker. I'm pretty sure I pulled a face ! I did persevere with it and after a few more sips my palatte adjusted to the bourbon sledgehammer and I began to discern some familiar beer flavours. I'm glad I tried it but it wasn't one of my favourites.

ElGeordie, Jul 21, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours clear golden orange , small head some lacing.

Faint Aroma of whiskey , sweet malts.

Fairly sweet and mellow with a sharp bourbon finish. Smokey oaked aftertaste.Very little to no hops detected.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

Overall a fairly tasty brew.

shroompod, Jul 16, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a standard Shaker-style glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer pours out a clear dark golden color with ½" white head that soon recedes to thin film and a small ring around the glass. Sipping leaves a light lacing but the lacing is mostly gone by about half way through the beer.

Smell: The aroma is soft and filled with the coconut, vanilla and oak of the bourbon cask with some hints of faint caramel from the malt. There is no sign of any hops here.

Taste: The flavor here is all about the bourbon barrel with active support from the malts in the ale. There is coconut and vanilla as expected from the aroma. This is layered over the sweet caramel malt that provides a nice backbone. The flavor is almost too sweet but somehow seems quite right and I suspect having the hops play a more active role would be a mistake.

Mouthfeel: The mounthfeel is medium bodied to light bodied, with moderate carbonation that becomes very faint and hard to detect well before the end of the beer. The finish is medium length and is soft and sweet with no hops detectable. (Seems to me that it is in the finish where a bit of dry bittering effect from the hops would be nice to prepare one for the next sip.)

Drinkability: This is a sipping beer and it is easy to let one sip follow another, but it is also a one per evening type beer because of the sweetness of the malt and bourbon character of the beer. As an example of bourbon barrel aging this is a very nice beer that illustrates well that such aging need not be restricted to Stouts and Barleywines. The bourbon barrel comes through clearly and adds a nice aroma, flavor and character to the ale.

drtth, Jul 14, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

Copper color with no head and moderate prickle. Heavy bourbon nose. The attack is pretty smooth. The bourbon presents itself about halfway through the sip/flavor. Once the bourbon strikes it really dominates the flavor. That being said, the beer finishes surprisingly clean. The mouthfeel is heavy and malty. This is much better than other liquour infused/liquour styled beers that I have had, but it isn't stellar. I love bourbon and I love beer, but mixing the two together I am thinking might not be my style. I might be to much of a traditionalist. I am glad to have tried it however.

Ragingbull, Jun 26, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle purchased as part of a 4 pack split with a friend from a store in Bowling Green, KY. Poured into a regular pint glass.

A: Pours a light brown with not much of a head at all. The little bit of head that is there doesn't leave any lace at all.

S: Bourbon really dominates the nose which I would normally love. However, this is a one trick pony so I am only giving it slightly better than average.

T: A hint of malt sweetness mixed with some vanilla and oak flavors. I am not really getting the bourbon taste which is surprising based on the aroma.

M: It feels extremely thin almost watery. Not really a lot of other character either.

D: Since it is listed as a strong ale, it is pretty drinkable for that style.

GatorBeerNerd, Jun 10, 2009
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.