Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale - Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel AleKentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

good

Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. visit their website
Kentucky, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.19% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 07-13-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 561 | Hads: 2,555
3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

Live review. Picked this up as a single from Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor, Ohio last Wedensday when I stopped in to see Wally for $1.66. He made sure that I knew that Founders Nemesis was available which was really cool. This single was one of his "new" ones. No observed "best by" date. Poured into my Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale pint glass.

A Rather basic looking translucent copper body under a briefly present off white head (it was gone within about a minute, down to a ring around the top of the beer). 3.0

S I love the caramel sweet goodness of a bourbon barrel aged beer and that is the smell that dominates with a nice, soft bourbon notes. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T The bourbon taste is there but it is a bit weak, almost becomes a taste of macaroni (if you can imagine for a minute) in a cheap kind of way. I am glad to say that the after taste is a much better bourbon like taste that is good. It strikes me that this is "gateway" bourbon barrel aged beer, the beginning of one's journey through the bourbon barrel aged beers which will end with Allagash Curieux or possibly BA B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher. Anyway, I am a sucker for bourbon barrel aged stuff so it probably gets a little bump in rating because of it. 3.5

M The bourbon softens the feel nicely in my opinion (I have found that with other beers as well) but this is probably more thin than I would have liked. 3.0

D One and done for me (and not just because I bought the single) but because of the 8.19% ABV and its relative bigness. That being said, I enjoyed drinking this one. 4.0 (1,578 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to BEERchitect for this extra.

Pours a clear, light copper with lots of white head. First bourbon barrel aged beer I've had that's this light in appearance and body. Smells like...bourbon and malt. Tastes like...bourbon. Very pronounced bourbon. Not hot, and not excessive bourbon, but this almost tastes like bourbon mixed with water. Tasty though. Takes some getting used to for me because I'm used to my bourbon barrel aged beers being higher ABV, thicker, etc. This one is on the lighter side of medium-bodied, with a lot of carbonation. (549 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

The ale poured a rich golden color with perfect clarity. With some effort, I was able to obtain a creamy off white head of relatively course bubbles which dissipated rapidly. No lacing was evident as I drank this aromatic ale.

Speaking of aroma, this ale wreaks of bourbon and vanilla with some burnt wood smokey notes to finish. What's lacking is any faint aroma of anything beer, like malt for instance. Close your eyes, or keep them open, and waft a smell and you'd think you were sniffing a high ball.

The flavor is bourbon upfront, charred wood, vanilla and brown sugar. The lack of any beer flavor ruins what would could have been, a decent brew.

The mouthfeel is thin and watery. It seems almost impossible to be so thin given the ABV and intensity of bourbon flavor. As a result, drinkability is average, but why bother given the price for a four pack. There are plenty of good bourbon barrel ales out there. Don't waste your money on this one. (956 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -35.8%

Appears a pale copper translucent color with a large bright white head, fine bubbled lacing forms evenly as it dwindles and continues the pattern with each sip.

Aroma is straight up oak barrel and vanilla with whiskey just coming out of it's pores. It smells like Hank Williams Jr in the 80s or Tim Mcgraw's new cologne that's out now. When leather, oak, brown sugar and vanilla collide without any cohesion. Big charred oak characteristics, the base beer just seems so lifeless I guess the whiskey barrel aging gives it what's here doesn't really complement the beer like so many other versions of brews that sit in the whiskey soaked oak. There's something very solvent and chemical about the aroma that doesn't even make me want to take my first sip.

Flavor yep there's a reason why I didn't want any part of it, it's like sipping on whiskey without the 80 proof. Whiskey tea we'll call it. Sour mash is evident with vanilla, charred oak and hints of caramel and toffee with some serious booziness for a beer this thin in body. Makes it seem like such a gimmick beer that's only really being brewed for the Kentucky Derby, there's no other audience that is going to take to this beer.

Mouthfeel is thin way to thin for alcohol level and the flavor profile it just doesn't carry it too well, it's like watered down whiskey tea. Booze gives a bit of a burn, but it's really the charred oak flavor bringing out a bit of cinnamon like expressions on the palate. Gag reflux get ready I'll be lucky to make it through 12 oz of this brew.
Drinkability overall when in Rome I guess, like if I was at the Derby bidding and I was really worn out of the official mixed drink of the Alltech F.E.I. than yeah maybe I would have this abomination. I'd rather have brews run through whiskey soaked oak chips in an infuser like Bocktown has been doing for quite some time now. (1,868 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +19.6%

I am going to go way out on a limb with this one I am sure, but I am sorry I absolutely loved it. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/24/2010.

The pour was not what I would consider, um great. Light amber in color, nearly golden with a very, very clear body to it. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up towards the top of the glass which coalesced into a thin, but firm white cap at about a quarter of an inch, but this really did not stay long, fading with no real side glass lacing. Aroma is sweet, unbelievably sweet with loads of vanilla and sweet candy like notes. I found this incredibly appetizing and dove straight in. Super light body takes you off guard, but once you let this thing open up it's over. Rich beyond words with a sweetness that is unmatched. Like French vanilla ice cream mixed with hints of bourbon and light grain, it just worked. So light it was almost refreshing as I really just could not get enough of this one.

Overall wow, I did not see this coming. I was not sure I was going to like it nearly as much as I did, but wow it really, really worked for me. I would love to have this one again any time, it is just a wonderful, sweet concoction that truly just worked for me. (1,253 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: 12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass for breathing. A reddish but somewhat close to a pink wine resemblance. Displayed a thin lacing that dispersed leaving more of bubble appearance on the surface.

Smell: Spice and alcohol aroma.

Taste: Alcohol not as strong in the taste as the smell and ABV would lead to believe. Contains more of a sweet taste than would have guessed with not much of a hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but not rich. It is clean good balance of dryness.

Drinkability: goes down pretty easy but shouldn't drink too many or the ABV will hurt later on. (587 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -11.3%

Aroma - Vanilla, wood, and a hint of sweet fruit

Appearance - Poured a big light tan head that dissipated to just a thin film and collar. The beer was a very light golden yellow.

Taste - Almost the same as the nose. Slightly buttery flavor surrounded by sweetness with a hop bite at the end.

Notes - This seems to pale in comparison to the draft versions I've had before. The draft versions I remember are full of buttery smooth flavors while this seems a watery dull version of that. I hope this was just a bad bottle or batch. (531 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Bronze and clear with a fast growing head that quickly fades.

S - Butter, caramel and popcorn

T - Caramel, burned sugar and oak. More butter.

M - Rich and sweet, it rolls over your tongue and lingers.

D - Very easy to drink although it could be a little sweet for some. Bourbon flavor is not as pronounced as others but still a nice drink all said. (356 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Drunkmonk for this brew.
Poured a light gold with a small white head. Nose smells sweet, vanilla and slight bourbon.
Tastes of oak, vanilla, bourbon, honey and butterscotch. Mouthfeel has some syrup, oak, honey, butterscotch with light bourbon. Drinkability is very good, not overly boozy. This beer blends lots of flavors together very well and a treat to drink! (375 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Paid $9.99 for a growler from The Party Source...

Pours a clear amber colored base with a medium white head, great retention and minimal lacing. The aroma is very subtle in Elijah Craig bourbon and sweet caramel malts.

The taste is all about the smoothness when looking at a beer this strong, it reminds me of a Yuengling lager, made with enough quality ingredients to be noticeable but not pretentious; yet deliver as a true winner (despite the usual overpowering of heavier beers). Low carbonation and good head retention make this one of the smoothest beers east of the Mississippi.

Final Thought: An absolute stunner of a session beer, best in class for style! (667 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was a tough one to get. It was originally only on tap available in growlers only, but this winter they decided to add it to a gift pack with bottles. Thanks a bunch to Noslenwerd for going out of his way to get me this one. Unfortunately the glass that came in the sampler pack broke in the trip here, but at least the beer made it. I'm excited to try it, despite the B rating.

A: A very light fluffy head forms and disperses just as fast. It's a very clear pale golden color with a little orange.

N: Nose is actually pretty sweet, with a very bourbon barrel characteristic. It reminds me of when I went to a couple distilleries in KY and the basic aroma you get from nosing the actual barrels when they are opened, minus the crazy bourbon aroma. It's a little creamy and fruity, but mostly just a great bourbon aroma. Not much on the way of beer yet.

T: Taste actually starts with a slight malty flavor, but mostly is again bourbon. Tastes like a nice light and smooth bourbon with much less alcohol. It has some clear woody esthers as well, and an obvious oak taste. More of that fresh from the barrel bourbon flavor. It also has a little fruitiness, and some more sweet almost honey like flavors. It still hides the 8%abv well though. The bourbon and woody flavors come out even more as it warms. I recommend letting it warm a bit. With all the flavors, and bourbon especially, it's still really smooth.

M: Semi thin, more than I expected, and very little carbonation.

F: Finishes a little sweet still, and even has a touch of creaminess. It has some woody esthers that linger, as well as some oak. Not much lingering on the bourbon flavor. A little bitterness starts to come through, but more from the esthers than hops. It doesn't last long before your mouth is clean and ready for more.

Being a big bourbon fan, the fresh bourbon and oak flavors of this really impress. The beer side is a little flat and the lack of carbonation in a light ale is a little hard to get by. But how much great bourbon flavor this has, and even seems to have a little of the sweet bourbon mash and woody esthers, I really enjoyed it. (2,130 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -25.9%

A - Golden in color. Pours about an inch of head that disappears to just a thin coating not quite covering the total surface of the beer.

S - Light bourbon oak scent. Also some vanilla probably from oak. Reminds me of a watered down bourbon that has been sitting on ice a bit.

T - Again a watered down taste to the bourbon (but then again if I wanted massive bourbon - I'd have bourbon). Other flavors like tart fruit and bread come up. Very sweet aftertaste.

M - Very light. I get a thick coating at the back of my tongue like I get when I have had some "alca-pop" like drinks. The sweetness is a bit off for me.

D - The one of the lightest in color bourbon beers I have had. But the bourbon taste seems too watered down which hides the alcohol level of the beer. While I could have a couple more before the true level of the alcohol hits me, I don't think I would want to have another anytime soon. (904 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Thanks out over the rain-filled skies of Minnesota to BEERchitect for sending this nice little extra in a recent trade. Feels like a good way to wrap up an evening of poker with the boys (& old men, who are sometime far more amusing & interesting than the boys).

I'm certain this is the lightest bourbon barrel aged brew I've ever had, looks very much like a pale ale, yellow with red highlights. Smell is subtle malts, bourbon, with a stronger whiff of wood.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale makes me think brewers should be sticking more than RIS & barleywines in barrels. The wood, as much as the bourbon, is on top of this sandwich, leaving a dry, vanilla, bourbon, slightly sweet malt taste sticking around. The lighter malts really play off the bourbon nicely, leaving a more true bourbon experience without the scorching heat of true bourbon. Very interesting. Slides down very nicely. This is one of the few brews of the style that I can see going down quickly, & easily, for a few hours at a time.

Excellent beer & a great twist on barrel aging. Let's try this whole paler beer in a barrel thing, it's working here! (1,125 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

I like how the color is very bourbonish. Downside to appearance is the quickly vanishing head. I don't know much about the science of bourbon aging--maybe the process kills the head?

Smells good, malt blends with the bourbon very well. Reminds me of a sweet bourbon sauce you might pour on a dessert.

Bourbon taste comes out great, without overpowering the rest of the brew. Again, there's a good, caramelly malt backbone. The only beef I have with the beer is that the bourbon doesn't taste "blended" with the other characteristics of the beer. Like maybe someone put an ounce or so of bourbon in the glass right after I poured it. But I won't discount this one for it; it seems to be a pretty common characteristic among the lighter bourbon ales (ie, not stouts).

I gotta say, the bourbon gives this one an odd aftertaste. Pretty good besides that. (892 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured a clear dark gold with some off-white head. It smelled strange, like light sulfur and sweet bourbon, with some fresh oak and peaches and sour apple. It tasted much like it smelled, with sulfur and light bourbon and oak, along with some cabbage and vanilla and peach and bready yeast. It was slightly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall I'm not sure if this was how this beer is supposed to taste, or if it was skunked. But if this was actually a "good" bottle, then I am really not a fan. (532 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from bottle into Sam Adams specialty pint glass. Ya know, the pretty curved one!

A- Lightly carbonated, medium-light amber hue. Almost looks like good Savannah honey. Small, one finger head dissipating quickly into slight lacing.

S- Well, this was heaven to me, 'cause I love a good bourbon. So much sweet, caramel-vanilla bourbon smell, you would think you were smelling a well aged bottle of Four Roses Bourbon. Definitely smell oak and a tiny hint of smokiness.

T- Very sweet, very bourbon-esque. A mild American Ale with slight hop characteristics with an overload of vanilla, oak, caramel, fig and, of course, BOURBON! Very pleasant taste. It hides its ABV VERY well. Only complaint is it needs a more complex malt character as well as a little smokiness to balance the sweetness. Almost NO aftertaste.

M- As creamy as Sleeman's Cream Ale. Light, yet silky smooth. Goes down easily, if not a bit TOO easily. This beer is unexpectedly light on the tongue.

D- Oh it's great to drink, just not in large quantities. Its sweetness can be overpowering, and its ABV will leave you wondering what happened after only a few. It will sneak up on you quick with this one.

Overall, a very warm and tasteful beer for those who look for the unusual or unexpected. Great for relaxing in a chair and pairs very well with good cigars, especially Conneticut Shade wrapped stogies. Definitely worth trying, just don't expect this to be the next great session beer.

[EDIT]
When I was home on leave Thanksgiving '09, I went to the Paddy Wagon in Richmond, KY and had this on tap. Wow, was it great! Something about it being on draft brought out all the subtle little tastes even more, such as the caramel and vanilla. Followed it up with a glass of Knob Creek Bourbon and man was I on cloud 9, and it wasn't from the ABV either. This beer is great to warm the soul and relax. (1,873 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is an odd beer. It's color is amber with a modest head that quickly fades to nothing. It is the aroma and taste that are odd. Both are like a parody of what bourbon barrel aging should be like. That being said, while the aroma was like an imitation scent, the taste wasn't that bad. It was certainly malty sweet and the other dominant flavor, while not evocative of bourbon, is more caramel and vanilla. The feel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK.

KBBA is not a bad beer, but it just comes across as contrived, to me anyway.

Edit: The reviewer below me mentioned coconut and I realize that's it. The smell and taste remind me, not of coconut, but of coconut extract. (726 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap at the B-Spot.

A pint glass arrives with a caramel colored liquid with small residual head.

Smells of bourbon, sweet caramel malt, mild hops, vanilla. Nice aroma from an unassuming beer.

Taste is bourbon, vanilla, coconut. Smooth but nothing is really jumping. This does NOT taste like a beer with a shot dumped into it, but it also doesn't show enough of the intricate flavors that bourbon barrel aging can impart IMO.

Mouthfeel is weak - undercarbed and watery.

Drinkability is better than average, although it is certainly not a multi-dimensional beer. One and done for me. (589 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Koningshoeven sniffer. Very light and clear in color. Little to no head.
Armoa is very mild. A pretty obvious bourbon scent along with oak.
Carbonation is high at first, taste is earthy, oaky, and slightly boozy. Not a bad beer, but overall pretty mild and average. It's not as intense of a bourbon flavor as I expected. The aftertaste has more bourbon flavor than the actual drinking of it. (426 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Received a 4 pack of this along with a logoed snifter from my sister for my birthday. Apparently my passions are well know, she always gets me something alcoholic or alcohol related. Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into small logoed snifter. Label is simple, the end of a barrel with a short description and the tag of "Official beer of the Alltech FEI." No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with some almost white foam, but no appreciable head. What does show up disappears quickly. The beer itself is perfectly clear and the color of burnished copper.

Smell: Aroma of bourbon, vanilla, and oak with undertones of slightly sweet caramel malt.

Taste: Once again, flavors of bourbon; cherries, oak, and a slightly sweet chocolate undertone. Subtle flavors become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation level is average, maybe a tad low. Body is good.

Drinkability: I thought I might not like this one, probably the only bourbon barrel aged beer I can see through, and I am not a huge fan of boozy bourbon beers. However, they have done a nice job of capturing the flavor of bourbon without the bite. (1,137 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked some of this up for a trade with Mkroadrush and thought I'd give it a shot as well since I've never had it. Poured from the bottle into a snifter. Review is from notes taken on 11/30/09.

Appearance: Pours a peachy/coppery color; starts with a short 1/2 finger head that fades immediately to nothing but a thin whisp of a skim and a ring of bubbles on the surface; body has the slightest haze to it and shows no carbonation; just a few spots of lacing.

Smell: Hints of bourbon, wood and sweet vanilla; slight tart fruitiness way in the back -- interesting nose, but not very potent; slight whiff of alcohol starts to become present as it warms.

Taste: Much like the nose, there's a definite sweetness from vanilla and oakiness; mild bourbon flavor combines with the mild tart-like fruitiness that's a little acidic; very slight hint of alcohol that becomes more prominent as it warms.

Mouthfeel: nearly no carbonation, but what's there is a tad sharp; body is a little thin and feels a tad slick and oily; gums are left tingly; slight coating on teh tongue; belly is left warm; body is is not very lively, but I find this is sometimes the case with barrel-aged offerings.

Drinkability: Not too bad - flavors are alright, but not especially potent; ABV is a bit high, but too much of a punch that I probably couldn't force my way through two, but no more than that. (1,375 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle into a snifter glass

A: Pours a deep golden/caramel brown. Looks like a glass of bourbon with head. Head pours fluffy white, recedes sort of quick to a few patches on top and a thin lace.

S: Notes of sticky bourbon, sweet alcohol and toasty oak come through. Earthy and fruity. Very pleasant complexity that is worth lingering over.

T: Carmel and vanilla notes, sweetness of bourbon with a lingering smokiness from the cask. You can tell they used a damn good bourbon, makes me think of fall.

M: This is the weakest part of the beer, a bit light on carbonation, the beer feels a bit thin. This is probably due to the addition of bourbon to the beer, and probably why most bourbon beers are darker stouts or porters. Still it was interesting, and almost better to have it with the caramel color than a darker beer.

D: Drinkable for the 8.2 ABV, but I dont know how many of these I would want to choke down. Better for an after dinner thing. (959 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to auroracrisis for sending me some bottles of this! Wanted to try this for a long time, so thanks Ben for the chance.

I needed a boubron beer fix (see my review for BBC Reserve Boubron Barrel Stout to see why) so I grabbed one of these next.

My bottle didn't look like the sweet one in the picture above, it was simply a brown 12 oz bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color into a pint glass. Off white head is produced on the pour, and shrinks to a small pillow and ring around the outside edge of the glass. Doesn't leave a ton of lacing. I love the color though.

The nose is...fantastic! This has to be my first bourbon barrel beer that isn't a stout, porter, barleywine or brown ale so this is very good news for the rest of bourbon barrel beers in my eyes. I get bourbon soaked fruits...incredibly fruity. A nice woody character in the background and a nice warming bourbon smell, which is mostly soaked into the fruit aromas.

The taste is similar to the nose, very fruity with a bourbon soaked fruit/wood character. This is tasty stuff, but it's just not as tasty as the nose advertises unfortunately. Still, very tasty. Totally not expecting it to be so fruity. It's like it's an average beer with bourbon (and good bourbon mind you) soaked fruit dropped in. Great stuff.

The mouthfeel is light, and slightly overcarbonated. I'm not feeling this section of the beer, but I'm definitely into the taste and smell.

Drinkability is great. If the ABV were slightly lower this would be an awesome session beer. I really like the aroma and flavor of this, and I could have a few without getting knocked on my ass. What more could you ask?

If I lived in an area where this was readily available, I would buy this all the time. At $12 a four pack, how could you go wrong? (1,793 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance - Pours a bright, clear amber with a short-lived 1.5 finger soapy off-white head with very little lacing.
Smell - Bourbon, vanilla and caramel.
Taste - Lots of vanilla and sweet caramel - almost a caramel apple flavor - and bourbon.
Mouthfeel - Light-medium body; a little thin and watery with light carbonation. The carbonation begins at a moderate pace but runs out of steam relatively quickly.
Drinkability - Surprisingly drinkable, though the sweetness of this beer prevents it from being a beer to have more than 12 ozs of.
Overall - A very interesting beer that is a nice change of pace. (604 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

Nice golden color with a decent head with a medium to high amount of carbonation. The smell is fantastic. Somewhat sweet smell with a delicious slightly bourbon accented aroma. The taste is solid but not mind blowing. About what you would expect although a lot lighter than any other beer I've had that was aged in bourbon barrels. Leaves a decent aftertaste, but the lightness allows the taste to fade quickly. Fairly drinkable for a stronger beer although I would want to switch up after about three or four of these because it has more sweetness than a typical beer. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and although it isn't the most tasty bourbon barrel beer I've had it is still a special beer. (698 characters)

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech's Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co.